• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

KorrZ

im always a bit jealous of people who can code. creating real things just with your imagination and knowledge of how coding works (and probably a lot of patience).

I like to create stuff. pictures, songs, make models on sketch up etc, but coding programs is something where people actually benefit from your power to create stuff, but I just cant do it (besides super basic pascal skills)

Visit the programming OT. You might never be a hardcore C/C++ programmer but, with time and dedication you can still end up making some cool stuff.

SPDIF

im always a bit jealous of people who can code. creating real things just with your imagination and knowledge of how coding works (and probably a lot of patience).

I like to create stuff. pictures, songs, make models on sketch up etc, but coding programs is something where people actually benefit from your power to create stuff, but I just cant do it (besides super basic pascal skills)

There’s no such word as can’t ;)

What languages have you tried other than Pascal?

Haklong

I'm going to sell my Surface Rt (sad) so that I can put the money towards a Surface Pro. Anyone know if the touch cover that works on the RT will also work on the Pro? Not sure if MS released that information yet if any of you might know.

iavi

I'm going to sell my Surface Rt (sad) so that I can put the money towards a Surface Pro. Anyone know if the touch cover that works on the RT will also work on the Pro? Not sure if MS released that information yet if any of you might know.

It'll work just fine.

Got one for Christmas and it's certainly a cool device (though I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with it). Not sure what I'll do with it since I already have both an iPad and a (cheap, terrible) Android tablet, but I'm sure I'll find a use since it seems to be the most usable for business purposes.

I'm having a big problem though, frequently when I'm using the device, the touchscreen spazzes out after a few minutes - it rapidly registers touches near the upper-left-hand and upper-right-hand corners of the screen when I'm not touching it (even as far as laying it down on the table so I'm not contacting it whatsoever).

Powering the device off and on (not a full shutdown) will "reset" it and fix it temporarily, but it will just start spazzing out again after a few minutes. Tried a full reboot and installing all Windows updates, but it still persists.

Any thoughts? Sounds like a defective device, but I'm wondering if there's any way to possibly recalibrate the screen to fix the issue. Looked around and couldn't see anyone with a similar issue. Microsoft apparently has a recalibration tool but it requires some actual physical objects to work.

mm04

Got one for Christmas and it's certainly a cool device (though I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with it). Not sure what I'll do with it since I already have both an iPad and a (cheap, terrible) Android tablet, but I'm sure I'll find a use since it seems to be the most usable for business purposes.

I'm having a big problem though, frequently when I'm using the device, the touchscreen spazzes out after a few minutes - it rapidly registers touches near the upper-left-hand and upper-right-hand corners of the screen when I'm not touching it (even as far as laying it down on the table so I'm not contacting it whatsoever).

Powering the device off and on (not a full shutdown) will "reset" it and fix it temporarily, but it will just start spazzing out again after a few minutes. Tried a full reboot and installing all Windows updates, but it still persists.

Any thoughts? Sounds like a defective device, but I'm wondering if there's any way to possibly recalibrate the screen to fix the issue. Looked around and couldn't see anyone with a similar issue. Microsoft apparently has a recalibration tool but it requires some actual physical objects to work.

Defective. Exchange it.

hwalker84

Have you done all the firmware updates? Don't wait for them to auto install. Go to the normal windows updates and force it.

If that doesn't work exchange it asap

clav

Finally played with a Surface at the Microsoft Store.

First visit at the MS Store as well. I like how open the spaces are, and they actually let you play around with the devices on the show floor.

This is one fine looking well-built machine. Definitely is on my want list although I think the price is still a bit high. Had fun detaching the keyboard and dangling it with the Surface attached.

Superb ideas behind the construction of this tablet. Kickstand allows hands-free operation when reading/video chatting. Three ports: HDMI, USB, and microSD slot. Dedicated magnetic charging port. The keyboard lets me type without having to use the on-screen keyboard which eats up valuable screen space.

The design just offers a no-compromise experience. Seems like we have come to expect that tablets are just not supposed to have these things, but the Surface proves otherwise.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally played with a Surface at the Microsoft Store.

First visit at the MS Store as well. I like how open the spaces are, and they actually let you play around with the devices on the show floor.

This is one fine looking well-built machine. Definitely is on my want list although I think the price is still a bit high. Had fun detaching the keyboard and dangling it with the Surface attached.

Superb ideas behind the construction of this tablet. Kickstand allows hands-free operation when reading/video chatting. Three ports: HDMI, USB, and microSD slot. Dedicated magnetic charging port. The keyboard lets me type without having to use the on-screen keyboard which eats up valuable screen space.

The design just offers a no-compromise experience. Seems like we have come to expect that tablets are just not supposed to have these things, but the Surface proves otherwise.

One thing I think is a neat design touch is that the charging cable works in either vertical direction, which is handy depending on what you have plugged into the USB port, or how you are laying/sitting around with it when it is charging. I had a huge derp moment as I tried to look for compatible extensions (thinking about USB/iPad stuff) and then realized I just need any power extension cable.

Alx

For some reason the charging connector is the only thing I dislike on the Surface. The concept is fine, but I never manage to connect it on the first try, I always fumble around trying to find the right position on the surface, while I can connect micro USB with my eyes closed.
Not that I would have wanted a micro USB connector to charge the tablet ; but the almost automatic magnetic connection of the covers was such a nice surprise that I'm all the more disappointed that it's not so easy with the power connector.

For some reason the charging connector is the only thing I dislike on the Surface. The concept is fine, but I never manage to connect it on the first try, I always fumble around trying to find the right position on the surface, while I can connect micro USB with my eyes closed.
Not that I would have wanted a micro USB connector to charge the tablet ; but the almost automatic magnetic connection of the covers was such a nice surprise that I'm all the more disappointed that it's not so easy with the power connector.

Yeah I experience the same thing, it's a little wonky.

ksdixon

i have a 32bit win8pro on my pc. since ms surface with win8pro is 64bit will the two still sync up all my settings from my microsoft account login?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck me I haven't even bought the thing yet and I'm starting to regret leaning towards a Surface Pro.. money might be better spent on something else.. or a couple something else's since 1k can be divided up nicely..

clav

One thing I think is a neat design touch is that the charging cable works in either vertical direction, which is handy depending on what you have plugged into the USB port, or how you are laying/sitting around with it when it is charging. I had a huge derp moment as I tried to look for compatible extensions (thinking about USB/iPad stuff) and then realized I just need any power extension cable.

That is a nice touch, so there are multiple ways to charge the device.

Stinkles

Yesterday I was working on a Powerpoint doc and I was able yo use that snap two apps onto screen for some cut and paste action, which I was sadly amazed by. Then I moved to the office to finish up adding images, plugged into the monitor with a $5 HDMI cable and finished the tasks with an Arc touch mouse and dual monitors, with one of them a touch screen and a Skydrive resource bucket to use. It has absolutely met all of my work/tablet dreams and then some.

For some reason it was amazing to me that the 2nd screen operates at full resolution.

Now, if only Lync worked, but it looks like loads of people are having the same sign in issue as me.

Stinkles

So SNES8x works perfectly well with the wired 360 pad, no drivers to install, no tinkering, no tricks. Just plugged it in and it worked. Now I am frantically digging through my basement to find more SNES carts.

Stinkles

How's the sound working for you? Mine is kinda crackly.

Perfect, but I only have five games. So hardly tested properly. I have smw, SMS all stars, link to the past, f-zero and Castlevania. I also have the updated version that showed up a week ago.

Stinkles

Perfect, but I only have five games. So hardly tested properly. I have smw, SMS all stars, link to the past, f-zero and Castlevania. I also have the updated version that showed up a week ago.

Update: F-Zero crackles when any multitasking event happens - like pulling up the menu, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything obvious, although the actual bitrate/fidelity seems low to begin with - can't tell if that's just an artifact of FM synths from the Nineties, or a degradation for the emulator.

Troll

Banned
Used a Surface for the first time today. Really liked it. I'll probably pick up a proper Windows tablet this year and avoid RT though.

JaggedSac

Update: F-Zero crackles when any multitasking event happens - like pulling up the menu, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything obvious, although the actual bitrate/fidelity seems low to begin with - can't tell if that's just an artifact of FM synths from the Nineties, or a degradation for the emulator.

Ok, sounds like it is just the couple games I have been playing.

Stinkles

Ok, sounds like it is just the couple games I have been playing.

Using it with the wired 360 controller is bliss. Probably the most fun I have had using an emulator in a few years. I want Rygar coin-op next. I always play that and say, "GODDAMN THIS WAS TOO HARD"

U2NUMB

Picked up a Surface after Xmas due to the massive amounts of Gift Cards... little over a week with it and I love it. So awesome.. best tablet I have ever used. Sad thing now.. I want the pro now thanks to how this has gone.

Having some issues getting my wired 360 controller to work.. it recognizes it in the devices menu just does not work with any program. Maybe I am expecting too much.. anyways I am very impressed so far!

hwalker84

Picked up a Surface after Xmas due to the massive amounts of Gift Cards... little over a week with it and I love it. So awesome.. best tablet I have ever used. Sad thing now.. I want the pro now thanks to how this has gone.

Having some issues getting my wired 360 controller to work.. it recognizes it in the devices menu just does not work with any program. Maybe I am expecting too much.. anyways I am very impressed so far!

Its not like the Xbox controller works as a input device. It's only certain games.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm starting to think maybe my work needs don't require the Pro.. pen would be useless and when I really think about it, I barely use legacy programs anymore. Except like..Winamp. But now I'm like double checking what I can and can't do on RT.. there's a Win8 version of Chrome..phew..

Hana-Bi

So, some guy is working on a DS emulator for Windows RT.

Windows 8 RT version is working well so far, and although it supports no sound and has lots of graphics problems, it is almost playable on the emulator (yes, I do not own a Windows 8 tablet, so I haven't been able to test it for real yet).

http://ds-duos.blogspot.fr/

Doesn't sound that promising but it's at least a start.

teiresias

If the RT had the Wacom digitizer in it it would be completely perfect for me. Being able to do handwritten annotations on checklists when I'm out in the field is the only thing missing from the device for me (and it's not enough to make paying for a Pro worth it . . . decisions, decisions).

U2NUMB

Yep. This. Needs support in individual titles. Snes8x just added it a week ago.

Yea I figured that.. just got Snes8x and its wonderful.

I am fully into this.. just ordered a small laptop case.. bluetooth mouse and keyboard.. everyone I have shown the device is very impressed with the UI and options like stand USB and SD slot.

Stinkles

Yea I figured that.. just got Snes8x and its wonderful.

I am fully into this.. just ordered a small laptop case.. bluetooth mouse and keyboard.. everyone I have shown the device is very impressed with the UI and options like stand USB and SD slot.

I use a surface touch keyboard, an apple bluetooth keyboard and a Microsoft arc touch mouse. The latter matches the surface exactly and the USB nub sticks out about the same distance as the power cord, on the same side, which is convenient. I wish arc touch was bluetooth tho.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I use a surface touch keyboard, an apple bluetooth keyboard and a Microsoft arc touch mouse. The latter matches the surface exactly and the USB nub sticks out about the same distance as the power cord, on the same side, which is convenient. I wish arc touch was bluetooth tho.

I got given a Razor Orochi for Christmas last year, it's perfect for this type of computing because it's a portable bluetooth mouse but if you've forgotten to charge it or don't want bluetooth on you can just plug it in and it become a standard USB2 device.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi

Stinkles

I got given a Razor Orochi for Christmas last year, it's perfect for this type of computing because it's a portable bluetooth mouse but if you've forgotten to charge it or don't want bluetooth on you can just plug it in and it become a standard USB2 device.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi

I am such a sucker. I went and bought a wedge touch this afternoon. Had no idea how tiny it is. It's TINY. Anyway, that frees up my USB port, so score one for justice.

I can't wait for the reviews. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Yeah probably will be. Maybe some reviewers will consider the value proposition of the dueling form factors though. That's where the value is for me, it's an ultrabook and a legit tablet in one.

Speaking of Surface, just connect a type cover to this thing after using the touch, type is very very nice to have.

dLMN8R

"For $100 more, you could get a MacBook Air."

"For $100 more, you can get a laptop with the same battery life, a lower-resolution screen, that's heavier, thicker, doesn't have any touch, doesn't have a detachable keyboard to work in a tablet form factor for comfortable media consumption, and it's slower too. What a steal!"

stktt

Banned
"For $100 more, you can get a laptop with the same battery life, a lower-resolution screen, that's heavier, thicker, doesn't have any touch, doesn't have a detachable keyboard to work in a tablet form factor for comfortable media consumption, and it's slower too. What a steal!"

True, but that won't fit into a witty headline ;)

Top Bottom