• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Nero3000

I can't wait for the reviews. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Used my time machine:

The Surface Pro is not destined to critical acclaim across the media. Despite how impressive and complete of a computing product I think the Surface Pro is, it is easy to see where the key criticisms will come from in the tech reviews: The flaws will be based against what does better iPad or MacBook Air.

Each of the following points will be touched upon during reviews:

¬ 4 to 5 hour battery life (vs iPad)
¬ Lack of Windows 8 store apps (vs iPad)
¬ The screen is too small for full Windows Applications (vs MacBook Air)
¬ Office is not included for the price (vs cheap iPad price)
¬ Touch cover not included (vs MacBook Air)
¬ There is a stylus (vs iPad)
¬ The HD4000 graphics is not good enough to play the latest PC games smoothly (vs iPad games)
¬ Too thick and heavy (vs iPad)
¬ Desktop is still windows (vs MacBook Air)

Of those points, I think the real hurdle for buyers will be the battery life, perhaps the weight/thickness. Which is the main reason why I am waiting for a second gen and got an RT version to tide me over.

Pooya

What are the expectations for the Surface Pro in terms of marketplace acceptance?

I could use it finding a niche audience in business settings, but can't see it making much headway with the average consumer.

Ultrabook at this price point are just that. At this price point you'll never reach most of the consumers, it is obviously aimed at niche power user with specific need a full feature windows tablet can provide, still when it inevitably doesn't sell iPad numbers it will be called a bomb and failure every where.

personally I appreciate something like this exists because iPads and Nexus7s are just toys for me in comparison, I'd want a lot more from a tablet, still even Surface Pro isn't there yet, of course I'd like it to be in same form factor as a iPad.

if they can make a Surface or other x86 tablets from OEMs in $300-400 range, in same form factor as iPad is now and acceptable performance then I can see windows tablet get significant traction until then it's going to be niche and replacement for those looking to buy a laptop and not adding to overall PC sales. Still these would be a replacement for iPads for those who decide to buy them, so it's not all doom and gloom I think.

Nero3000

What are the expectations for the Surface Pro in terms of marketplace acceptance?

I could use it finding a niche audience in business settings, but can't see it making much headway with the average consumer.

Not sure - I see the potential buyers as:

- "pro" consumers
- Average consumers on advice by "pro" consumers
- Potentially Small Businesses, but only if there is a real need
- Enterprise Employees on BYOD schemes

Enterprise are unlikely to rethink their current IT agreements to go with Microsoft (who have no hardware enterprise agreements and support plans). However I think that some will buy on an ad-hoc basis for pilot programs on Windows 8 Tablets in general.

- "pro" consumers

Enterprise are unlikely to rethink their current IT agreements to go with Microsoft (who have no hardware enterprise agreements and support plans). However I think that some will buy on an ad-hoc basis for pilot programs on Windows 8 Tablets in general.

I'm getting one through work. I work in the IT dept and we cover a few different sites. The idea is that I can have it setup like a 'real' PC on my primary station here, but easily take it to any other location and have the laptop / tablet flexibility.

kazinova

"For $100 more, you can get a laptop with the same battery life, a lower-resolution screen, that's heavier, thicker, doesn't have any touch, doesn't have a detachable keyboard to work in a tablet form factor for comfortable media consumption, and it's slower too. What a steal!"

Damn, son, I snorted out loud when I read that. (Read: I LOLed :) )

- "pro" consumers

I want one so I can have a portable Cintiq that lets me do full fledged Photoshop on the couch or anywhere else. I'm still debating on waiting for a second version though since it's not like I'll have the money when it releases.

giga

"For $100 more, you can get a laptop with the same battery life, a lower-resolution screen, that's heavier, thicker, doesn't have any touch, doesn't have a detachable keyboard to work in a tablet form factor for comfortable media consumption, and it's slower too. What a steal!"
When you put it like that, it sounds pretty enticing. But then you read that the Surface Pro doesn't include the $129 type keyboard and its display is 1" smaller, which explains why the online specs make it look lighter and thinner. I have no idea how it's slower.

JaggedSac

When you put it like that, it sounds pretty enticing. But then you read that the Surface Pro doesn't include the $129 type keyboard and its display is 1" smaller, which explains why the online specs make it look lighter and thinner. I have no idea how it's slower.

True, so for around the same price you can either get a SurfacePro+TypeKB at 0.77 inch thin, 2.55lbs, 10.6 inch screen at 1080p with a digitizer and pen (or a 0.53 inch thin, 2 lbs tablet by taking the type kb off) or a 0.68 inch thin, 2.38 lbs, 11.6 inch screen at 1366 by 768. Internals are pretty identical for the base versions. So its either someone who wants a tablet/laptop with a digitizer and windows, or someone who wants a laptop with OSX.

giga

True, so for around the same price you can either get a SurfacePro+TypeKB at 0.77 inch thin, 2.55lbs, 10.6 inch screen at 1080p with a digitizer and pen (or a 0.53 inch thin, 2 lbs tablet by taking the type kb off) or a 0.68 inch thin, 2.38 lbs, 11.6 inch screen at 1366 by 768. Internals are pretty identical for the base versions. So its either someone who wants a tablet/laptop with a digitizer and windows, or someone who wants a laptop with OSX.
Or, someone who wants a laptop with a large trackpad and an adjustable display that runs both OS X and Windows. ;)

Personally, I found the 11.6" Air too small, so I couldn't even use a 10.6" as a daily driver. 13" is my minimum.

The Surface Pro still loses as an Ultrabook against the MacBook Air, because apparently you can't use it properly in your lap. It's a real shame that Acer screwed up the S7 so badly with the terrible battery (4 hours is a joke). It looked nice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Surface Pro still loses as an Ultrabook against the MacBook Air, because apparently you can't use it properly in your lap. It's a real shame that Acer screwed up the S7 so badly with the terrible battery (4 hours is a joke). It looked nice.
I haven't used a pro, but my rt works great in my lap. Soft touch keyboard and apple Bluetooth keyboard.

JaggedSac

Or, someone who wants a laptop with a large trackpad and an adjustable display that runs both OS X and Windows. ;)

Personally, I found the 11.6" Air too small, so I couldn't even use a 10.6" as a daily driver. 13" is my minimum.

Personally, I have no use for the thing, which is why I am perfectly fine with the RT. I have a work laptop that I never touch when I am not at work. I will occasionally use my RT to remote into my desktop and do some development work while my fiancee is watching tv. My use cases are perfectly filled. I am no artist either, so a pen is of no use to me. I can see a big benefit to people who want a tablet plus a docked desktop though. I would rather work give me that than a laptop.

Yes, I can't speak for the type cover, but with the touch cover, typing in the lap is not the best of things. Certainly doable, but not ideal. Type cover might make it a little better as things wouldn't be rocking around so much. The stand isn't too much of an issue in the lap unless it isn't the right angle for you.

Yes, I can't speak for the type cover, but with the touch cover, typing in the lap is not the best of things. Certainly doable, but not ideal. Type cover might make it a little better as things wouldn't be rocking around so much. The stand isn't too much of an issue in the lap unless it isn't the right angle for you.

Having used both, the type cover is way better.

I haven't used a pro, but my rt works great in my lap. Soft touch keyboard and apple Bluetooth keyboard.

I don't have one, but the user experience seems to be mixed. Some say it works, others aren't happy due to the fixed viewing angles or how you can't use it, when you're laying down on your couch or in bed like this:

RELFR.jpg

Stinkles

I don't have one, but the user experience seems to be mixed. Some say it works, others aren't happy due to the fixed viewing angles or how you can't use it, when you're laying down on your couch or in bed like this:

RELFR.jpg
that pic is exactly how I use it but the outer edge of keyboard would be where her left hand is. And the keyboard gets less use than a laptop because of screen input

dLMN8R

RELFR.jpg

If my laptop was like that, I couldn't type comfortably on it anyway. But with the Surface Pro, I could simply detach the keyboard and actually hold it comfortably like a tablet, and even type with the thumb keyboard.

dunno if this'll help for you as it did me, but when i'm using it on my lap I hit the keys differently to if I have it on a desk. Slide your fingers over the keys and then press on them, rather than hammering onto them. Works great for me and doesn't seem to be any slower.

trinest

What is with al the hate? I'm still excited for the pro, I feel it will be a great device. Been using the Sony Vaio Duo 11 which is very similar if not the same specs as the Surface Pro. Game wise I've found it good etc. Was going to replace the duo with the pro and give the duo to my mum.

What is with al the hate? I'm still excited for the pro, I feel it will be a great device. Been using the Sony Vaio Duo 11 which is very similar if not the same specs as the Surface Pro. Game wise I've found it good etc. Was going to replace the duo with the pro and give the duo to my mum.

I don't think people here are actively hating the Surface Pro. We're just predicting why the tech media will hate it and give it bad review scores.

Conor 419

Banned

What processor do you have in the Duo 11? Also how much RAM?

It'd be my next choice after surface, it's just so expensive in the UK.

What processor do you have in the Duo 11? Also how much RAM?

It'd be my next choice after surface, it's just so expensive in the UK.

there are i3, i5 and i7 versions of the duo 11. ram can vary based on location where you buy it. i think some i3 versions have 2GB ram, most have 4GB with the option to opt in for another 4.

trinest

I was asking which he has specifically, cheers though.
in Australia the i3 model doesn't exist. The base model is the i5 with 4GB of ram and the "pro" version with an i7 and the 8GB. I have the i5 model. I'm enjoying my use of the device. My only issues with it are the keyboard, it just feels a bit cheaply designed.

frontieruk

- "pro" consumers

I'm getting one through work. I work in the IT dept and we cover a few different sites. The idea is that I can have it setup like a 'real' PC on my primary station here, but easily take it to any other location and have the laptop / tablet flexibility.

Our IT dept is buying Pro devices in and the Surface Pro will one of many under evaluation... I dibsied it :D

RELFR.jpg

LOL...20+ years of using laptops....never used one in that position. Does not look productive or comfortable.

So when I order my surface pro, do you think this will be a good way of handling things?

Touch Cover for the coolness and portability( is it good enough for basic portable writing, like writing notes at university or something)

A seperate full sized bluetooth keyboard and mouse for at home usage on a bigger screen?

Or is the type cover extremely better than the touch cover?

dLMN8R

So when I order my surface pro, do you think this will be a good way of handling things?

Touch Cover for the coolness and portability( is it good enough for basic portable writing, like writing notes at university or something)

A seperate full sized bluetooth keyboard and mouse for at home usage on a bigger screen?

Or is the type cover extremely better than the touch cover?

The type cover is every bit as good as any laptop keyboard I've used, and it's imperceptibly bigger when closed.

I have both, and there is literally 0 value in using the touch cover, at any time whatsoever. Getting a bluetooth keyboard would be a total waste.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
But you can't style on fools with boring black type cover.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I always use that position, and I do agree the Surface sucks at that.

The type cover is every bit as good as any laptop keyboard I've used, and it's imperceptibly bigger when closed.

I have both, and there is literally 0 value in using the touch cover, at any time whatsoever. Getting a bluetooth keyboard would be a total waste.

personally I am going to stick with the touch cover when I get a surface pro. the pro already being a few millimeters thicker than the RT is a big factor for me. That extra mm or two will likely be the difference between not too thick and too thick, for me personally.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Curious, too thick for what exactly? Your cover? Briefcase sleeve?

dLMN8R

If you're in a position where the keyboard is "too thick" to be comfortable....just detach it?

I know the specs say the type cover is almost "twice as thick" as the touch cover, but I can't tell at all. It's so negligible that it renders the touch cover completely pointless. And it's almost the exact same weight.

With a type cover, you have a laptop-quality keyboard ready to go at any point, whenever you want, and it also acts as a thin protective cover for the screen. With a touch cover you have a crappy keyboard that can only be used somewhere decently on hard flat surfaces with a need to carry something else around with you at all times whenever you want to type anything of decent length.

the thing the type cover probably sucks at is at flipping it over backwards for tablet usage, right? I think this is cool with the touch cover.

dLMN8R

the thing the type cover probably sucks at is at flipping it over backwards for tablet usage, right? I think this is cool with the touch cover.

I use it all the time like that, and it's no better or worse than the touch cover doing the same. It's just a little weird to get used to feeling keys, but I got over that months ago.

If you're in a position where the keyboard is "too thick" to be comfortable....just detach it?

I know the specs say the type cover is almost "twice as thick" as the touch cover, but I can't tell at all. It's so negligible that it renders the touch cover completely pointless. And it's almost the exact same weight.

With a type cover, you have a laptop-quality keyboard ready to go at any point, whenever you want, and it also acts as a thin protective cover for the screen. With a touch cover you have a crappy keyboard that can only be used somewhere decently on hard flat surfaces with a need to carry something else around with you at all times whenever you want to type anything of decent length.

I have no problems typing on the touch cover on my lap, personally.

Stinkles

Rookie Windows 8 question - I miss having "My Computer" from the former start Menu where I used to use it to access external drives and so on. Is there some alias I can create, or a shortcut that would let me access that concept from both the "7" desktop mode and the Metro menu?

Top Bottom