• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Rookie Windows 8 question - I miss having "My Computer" from the former start Menu where I used to use it to access external drives and so on. Is there some alias I can create, or a shortcut that would let me access that concept from both the "7" desktop mode and the Metro menu?
just search for "computer" and pin it to the start screen. its also accessible through file explorer on the left side.

edit: you can also have it on the desktop by searching for "Desktop Icon".

McSpidey

Rookie Windows 8 question - I miss having "My Computer" from the former start Menu where I used to use it to access external drives and so on. Is there some alias I can create, or a shortcut that would let me access that concept from both the "7" desktop mode and the Metro menu?

Stinkles, meet the the "Win+E" keyboard shortcut. Your new best friend.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Windu and Spidey are both winnars. Thanks so much. I think Win+E will be my goto, but having the aliases will be super convenient too.

I am really, really finding this thing is filling my oft-dreamed of niche between work and play computer.

hwalker84

Control Panel > Personalization > Change Desktop Icons > Check "Computer" hit ok or apply.

This should be of relevance here as well:

Pretty crazy news. It's still in the VERY early stages, and programs obviously need to be recompiled to work on ARM, so open source apps firstly. But good news, nonetheless. I saw the guy got 7zip running, and some others are working on VLC, and Chromium.

Exciting!

Nero3000

In order to make the wait for Surface Pro v2 i've decided to get a capacitive pen for one note use primarily.

Can anyone recommend one? Preferably a cheapish one to check it out before investing more.

What is the verdict on this? Is it worth 600+? Been thinking about getting one.

hardware is pretty cool, so is windows rt, by far the best tablet OS, the side by side multitasking for apps is a great idea. it still lacks apps (and of course cant run desktop software besides office) and the screen resolution could be better.

otherwise it is pretty slick, I toyed around a little with one and loved it. Personally I will buy the Pro model when it comes this month (hopefully), but that is a good chunk more expensive and heavier.

McSpidey

Oops, I trolled him too hard. Win+E actually summons the ban hammer. There are tons more shortcuts. For instance, Alt+F4 temp bans GAF from your computer.

It's easy to get unbanned though, just PM Evilore a photo of you with a legit theist hugging dated on Jesus' birthday and the name of the church. He'll sort it out.

Alx

I always like to think that the first post of theirs I see that has them banned is the post that got them banned.

"Thanks for helping guys..."

**BANNED!!!**

lol

Nah, I think he deserves the ban for not knowing about the Win+E shortcut. Come on, I think it's one of the first shortcuts I've ever learnt, only behind the copy/paste/cut ones. :p

kazinova

Nah, I think he deserves the ban for not knowing about the Win+E shortcut. Come on, I think it's one of the first shortcuts I've ever learnt, only behind the copy/paste/cut ones. :p

I'd be tempted to ban based on that, so many of my friends claim they're power users and yet they can't get to the desktop or minimize all without a mouse. Strange. I guess my nerd-father taught me better.

I'd be tempted to ban based on that, so many of my friends claim they're power users and yet they can't get to the desktop or minimize all without a mouse. Strange. I guess my nerd-father taught me better.

We had a new staff member start in our IT dept today. I am printing him a list of shortcut keys and making him memorize them!

I really want the surface pro. I hope I get one from the first batch, I expect those to be sold out pretty quickly, especially with the low expectations microsoft probably has after the modest sales of the original surface.,

Not only is that ridiculous, but MS already lists (and has for a while), the 3rd gen i5 as the processor for the Surface Pro on their website.

maeh2k

Because they're uneducated ignorant pundits who have absolutely no semblance of understanding behind what goes into the development of a product like this.

Actually when they announced the Surface Pro they wrote about a 'new' i5 processor and it's not unheard of that Intel would work with a partner to get a new CPU into a new device before everyone else can get it (Appple got some of the ULV stuff first, afair).

So I'd say it's quite possible.

Not only is that ridiculous, but MS already lists (and has for a while), the 3rd gen i5 as the processor for the Surface Pro on their website.

That new 7 Watt core i5 model is still 3rd gen. The mobile Haswell devices will only arrive in the second half of the year.

Pooya

if Surface Pro has the new CPU, Microsoft would be shouting it from the roof sooner or later, really don't expect it, when that Lenovo Yoga that has it comes out anyway? that should give an idea, I don't think MS would want to beat OEMs to the market with something like that either.

Pooya

here is Intel's press release
http://newsroom.intel.com/community...elivers-broad-range-of-new-mobile-experiences

Skaugen announced today that the company is bringing the low-power line of processors into its existing 3rd generation Intel Core processor family. Available now, these chips will operate as low as 7 watts, allowing manufacturers greater flexibility in thinner, lighter convertible designs. Currently there are more than a dozen designs in development based on this new low-power offering and they are expected to enable a full PC experience in innovative mobile form factors including tablets and Ultrabook convertibles. The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga* 11S Ultrabook and a future Ultrabook detachable from Acer will be among the first to market this spring based on the new Intel processors and were demonstrated by Skaugen on stage.

if Surface Pro comes out end of this month it won't have it, there is no reason to expect otherwise. it would have got a mention.

quality journalism there.

I love internet journalism:

The Verge:
Intel announces new low-power Core processor, expected to land in Surface Pro

Pocket Now, crediting the Verge as source:
Intel Announces New Low-Power Processors To Be Included In the Microsoft Surface Pro

MCD

Right click on start menu --> all apps --> pin "computer"

In desktop mode right click on desktop --> personalization --> change desktop icons

You can also pin control panel on taskbar for extra power commands and shit.

Edit: why did I quote Stinkles old post lol never mind.

And it's firmware time people!

Details: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-surface-rt-getting-firmware-update-today

Top Bottom