• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

btrboyev

So I stopped by the MS store in Century City and they were sold out save for reserved units. No surprise. I put my name on a list for 128 models in case some were left over but after spending some time with a demo unit I'm going to pass.

My main issue was with the digitizer: it still reads multi touch inputs even while using the stylus. So every time my hand even slightly brushed the glass while writing or drawing it caused things to go crazy. To use this I would either need to wear a glove or completely alter the way I write. I'm hoping the next generation of Surface has better detection when it comes to false inputs.

no. You're doing it wrong.

iFootball

A new post in the Oficial Surface blog talks about the launch and other countries availability starting next week:

Surface Blog

Surface Blog said:
. We’re working with our retail partners who are currently out of stock of the 128GB Surface Pro to replenish supplies as quickly as possible. Our priority is to ensure that every customer gets their new Surface Pro as soon as possible.
I’m also excited that as of next Thursday there’ll be 13 more countries in Europe joining the Surface family. On February 14th, we’ll be bringing Surface RT to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
good news for Euro GAF... Oh wait it's only the RT =

Haklong

Anyone with the pro try any games yet? I watched videos on YouTube of people using that CPU to run games. Wondering if the surface can run them as well.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So far this thing has been awesome.

Except that touch accuracy in desktop Chrome seems to be insane.

Anyone else have that problem?

EDIT: Also, anyone know what wacom driver I need to install for this?

EriCKY

Neo Member
can someone help me out?

there's a program for new computers that basically installs an assortment of programs that you click on for it to retrieve for you.

what's that called?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WEIRD SD CARD PROBLEM (RT): REWARD OFFERED!

So I was tinkering with my Surface and wanted to see how a full reset would work, so I backed up my stuff - all of which I have safely stored. However, I forgot that I had created paths to take advantage of the SD card library workaround. It didn't even occur to me that I should think about undoing that.

So after the reset, I realized that I could no longer format the cards, nor access the torturously rerouted content. If anyone can think of a way to reformat, or "rediscover" these cards on my "new" Surface RT, there is a free mystery GOND for Xbox 360 code in it for them.

Both cards now show up as 30 MB cards (they are both 64 Gig) and both cards cannot be formatted - the process fails on RT or Desktop PCs.

usctrojan

Went an hour before opening to my ms store where there was no system to gauge inventory. I was close to the front but after waiting over 4.5 hours they told us 128s were sold out. Just like that. No previous warning. It was the worst run launch ever. They need to learn to count inventory and then ask people in line what they want. Tickets, etc...

oh well, will wait for wave 2.

WEIRD SD CARD PROBLEM: REWARD OFFERED!

So I was tinkering with my Surface and wanted to see how a full reset would work, so I backed up my stuff - all of which I have safely stored. However, I forgot that I had created paths to take advantage of the SD card library workaround. It didn't even occur to me that I should think about undoing that.

So after the reset, I realized that I could no longer format the cards, nor access the torturously rerouted content. If anyone can think of a way to reformat, or "rediscover" these cards on my "new" Surface RT, there is a free mystery GOND for Xbox 360 code in it for them.

Both cards now show up as 30 MB cards (they are both 64 Gig) and both cards cannot be formatted - the process fails on RT or Desktop PCs.
Was it formatted to FAT32 and not Ntfs that's y its only showing 32gb

Divvy

Seriously is anyone else getting insane touch related issues with Chrome where the touch point is completely inaccurate sometimes? It's not a problem with IE, just chrome.

Stinkles

Was it formatted to FAT32 and not Ntfs that's y its only showing 32gb

32MB, not Gigabytes. It's obviously just showing some weird id partition because of the redirect steps, I just can't figure out how to undo it. I believe the card was formatted as default, which would be FAT32, but the redirect steps do require selecting NTFS as part of the "path."

This gobbledygook description of mine should make sense to anyone who re-pointed their libraries to the SD card, after getting it to show up as a location on C.

lol at mystery game.

I have no idea how to fix your issue.

clav

What does your partitioning say for the SD card?

Click on start and type: diskmgmt.msc

You can use "Snipping Tool" to take a screenshot or press the Windows Key and Print Screen button to take a picture of the current screen. Pictures will be saved in the Photos library.

Stinkles

What does your partitioning say for the SD card?

Click on start and type: diskmgmt.msc

You can use "Snipping Tool" to take a screenshot or press the Windows Key and Print Screen button to take a picture of the current screen. Pictures will be saved in the Photos library.

Says RAW.

screenshot1esjzt.png

(Off to run errand - will check back in an hour or so - thanks folks for the help and suggestions)

Just finished returning mine.

It's well built and definitely feels like a premium product, but in the end the more I used it the more I felt like even while I was in tablet mode I wanted to use the desktop side, which is definitely not built for touch. And its weight was more bothersome than I thought it would be. And I kept thinking that I spent almost $1300 on something I didn't truly need and that I wasn't totally happy with... And so I took it back. Sigh...

McSpidey

This can happen to HDDs too. This is unlikely to work as SeaTools may be locked to seagate drives, but the issue is likely related.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barrac...hrinked-to-31MB-32MB-33MB-causality/td-p/7687

"I had the same problem with two ST31000340AS drives today. After installing Windows 7 they both appeared as 32MB drives without any partitions and such. What I did to solve the problem was similar to the above:

1. Download and burn Ultimate Boot CD to an empty CD . http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
2. Boot the computer from the Ultimate Boot CD with the drives connected to the (gigabyte) motherboard.
3. Go to Hard Disk Tools -> Hard Disk Diagnostic Tools -> Start "SeaTools for DOS"
4. Find your way to the drives detected as ~32MB with the D key and press C to set capacity, and then reset the capacity (R key i think).
5. Reboot the computer and your drives should appear both in BIOS and Windows as their full capacity with the old partitions and all data intact. "

--

EDIT: Yep, looks to be a common issue. SD Cardfix option.
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile...sd-16gb-card-It-shows-31mb/td-p/186959/page/3

"This may help anyone who has a simular problem with an SD memory card shoing the wrong size. Use the SD formatter 3.0. It can be downloaded from the SD association's website.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ or https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Choose options, then change Size Adjustment to ON.

Format your SD card:
Refresh:

Your SD card should now show the correct size"

--
Bonus manual partition fix with gparted (linux distro) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3_jb-zXLcM&feature=related
Also try formatting it in a camera if you have one.

Stinkles

Is that RAW partition lumped into where it says 32GB?

*edit* I see the picture. If you don't care about the contents:

On a Windows x86/x64 bit computer, run the SD Formatter tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/eula_windows/ Before formatting, go to "options" and change "Size Adjustment" to "On."

Otherwise, you can use the GParted method that Xyphie described.

Excellent. I will give both methods a shot on Monday when I have my jumbo card adapter. I assume it's a brute force method. And I do not care about the card content - in fact one of them just has empty folders on it.

Edit. Thanks McSpidey, will try that too.

Get a Nokia e71, put the card in and format. That thing can format anything. In fact, the following devices can format locked/encrypted sd cards:

Kodak EASYSHARE Z1485
Nokia 5530
Nokia 5800, 5700 XpressMusic!
Nokia C5-00
Nokia C7
Nokia E65 (4gb max)
Nokia E66
Nokia E71
Nokia N8
Nokia N79
Nokia N96
Nokia N97
Nokia Supernova
Sony Ericsson Vivaz
Sony PSP 2000 series using a microSD-to-ms Pro Duo Adapter

Don't know which ones support 64gb msd though.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone with the pro try any games yet? I watched videos on YouTube of people using that CPU to run games. Wondering if the surface can run them as well.

I have walking dead installed but not playable with just the pen, looked and ran good at 1080p with everything but shadows maxed

eastmen

Banned
Got mine at garden state plaza luckily they opened at12 instead of 9 . So I was able to clean up. Came to 1486 with 128 gig pro , tyoe cover , screen protector , padded sleeve , office 365 , protection plan and a second charger

Civ 5 is very playable but run it at 720p cause of the text

SPDIF

Instead of formatting the cards you could try "cleaning" them. This overwrites the MBR and partition table which a standard format won't do. You can do this on your Surface, you shouldn't need access to a desktop.

Insert the card.
Open a command prompt with admin rights and type these commands:

Code:
diskpart

list disk

select disk 0 (Replace 0 with whatever number your SD card has )

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format quick fs=fat32

assign

exit

zorbsie

Can't seem to log into steam on my pro. Keep getting a connection error. Is there some sort of firewall active that I don't know about that's blocking it? I can get on to steam just fine on my desktop.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
What I would love to see demoed:

1. Running on a large monitor being used like a cintaq.
2. Running HL2, Portals. That's the extent of my gaming needs.
3. Some Aftereffects action.

dLMN8R

Seriously is anyone else getting insane touch related issues with Chrome where the touch point is completely inaccurate sometimes? It's not a problem with IE, just chrome.

Chrome touch support in general is absolutely fucking awful. They can't even get pinch-zoom right to the point that they've disabled it in newer builds because it was a pathetic show, and this was more than a year ago.

They probably didn't correctly consider how DPI scaling affects touch recognition.

Divvy

Chrome touch support in general is absolutely fucking awful. They can't even get pinch-zoom right to the point that they've disabled it in newer builds because it was a pathetic show, and this was more than a year ago.

They probably didn't correctly consider how DPI scaling affects touch recognition.

FWIW the metro version of Chrome doesn't seem to be as bad.

Top Bottom