• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

m0dus

Banned
I think you probably returned it too soon, tbh. But again, remember you're committing to an ecosystem with any tablet device when you start buying apps, so be sure it's the right one for you.

The surface is excellent as a device that straddles the tablet and laptop categories. Its somewhat ironic, because you went to a device with more limitations, because you were having trouble using something that afforded more freedom? :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So just installed photoshop cs6 on the thing and lo and behold, no pen pressure. I wonder what the issue is and if it can be resolved quickly. You'd think someone would have encountered this before considering how many people wanted this for photoshop.

Conversely, Sketchbook Pro runs like a dream on this thing.

The surface is excellent as a device that straddles the tablet and laptop categories. Its somewhat ironic, because you went to a device with more limitations, because you were having trouble using something that afforded more freedom? :)
VERY well put. :) though I'm thinking of returning this ipad as well. It's nice but not satisfying for the cost. Woe to whoever tries to ever buy me a tech gift.

Have you used Windows 8 before getting your Surface?

My personal suggestion is to stay in Metro mode when you're using it like a tablet. It will feel like an iPad. Use the desktop if you want to do heavy duty work, or use a legacy app. Just realize that when you go into the desktop mode, its not the best touch experience. It takes a bit of time to acclimate, but in my opinion the payoff is worth it.

Is the Pro's touch experience still unacceptably poor at 125%? On rt I have it open up the desktop browser for everything and one tap to open programs. Never felt frustrated by touch. One thing that is annoying is IE isn't responsive until the page completely loads on RT. IE also locks up like safari on the iPad and FCs. Tapping, snapping programs, and scrolling has been enjoyable though.

23 > 10.6
Wired mouse = more responsive than Bluetooth or USB wireless
Full sized keyboard > type cover (though I do think the type cover is amazing)

You can have a dock at your desk with all of these things. You could even use your existing keyboard/mice/monitors with the surface pro. Smh....

Fury Sense

So just installed photoshop cs6 on the thing and lo and behold, no pen pressure. I wonder what the issue is and if it can be resolved quickly. You'd think someone would have encountered this before considering how many people wanted this for photoshop.

Conversely, Sketchbook Pro runs like a dream on this thing.
Is this the only place to enable the pen pressure setting? Was really looking forward to pp in photoshop...

YDYqN

usctrojan

while you all discuss these issues and tips i gotta say: I'm still super salty I didnt get one today. Hopefully in my sleepy stupor I gave the line attendant the right contact information.

LMAO the pen doesn't work in PhotoShop? You'd think someone in either MS or Adobe camp would have that shit ready to go.

It's not like the Surface Pro was announced last week and on sale today - they've had months and months of lead time.

m0dus

Banned
It's gonna take a driver or executable tweak for these programs to recognize the Wacom hardware that is installed (perhaps it is newer, thus not recognized by the older driver on the website) before pressure sensitivity is available, it seems. It certainly is capable, as demonstrated by sketchbook express and fresh paint.

Returners

So playing with my pro all night I have some impressions.

In tablet mode and playing touch games it works well for the most part, but finding an angle where I don't have to hold it while maintaining an acceptable viewing angle is tough to do.

Even though I'm playing Minesweeper, the fan was still audible enough for friends beside me. Since I was using a tablet, he was shocked to hear the fan.

I'm a developer so I'm looking forward to installing eclipse on it and see how well it does.

Couple of questions, after installing chrome in metro, I can't get IE to display in metro style anymore. Any solutions?

Also, the type cover does the apple way of scrolling which I really hate. Is there a way to change this?

Lastly, I'm trying to find a good resolution to view web pages, I'm currently using medium font size but a 150% page zoom. Any other combinations that worked well for you guys?

Side note, I'll tell you what game is good, Theme Hospital yo.

LMAO the pen doesn't work in PhotoShop? You'd think someone in either MS or Adobe camp would have that shit ready to go.

It's not like the Surface Pro was announced last week and on sale today - they've had months and months of lead time.

Photoshop is all sorts of messed up when it comes to Pens/Touchscreens. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont. If you try to go pure touchscreen, Photoshop will refuse to allow Windows to convert the TouchInput to the MouseInput that it does for everything other program. I know that on my Twist Photoshop doesn't work for anything other than moving the image around the frame, yet Paint.Net recognizes the commands perfectly. I tried Photoshop on a friends Surface Pro and the pen was temporarily working only after he reset the program 2 times.

Adobe needs to fix it for their next version.

Fury Sense

Confirming here PP is a no go for CS5 as well. Really disappointed, this was a selling point for me. I know it'll come eventually, but still, I paid for it today.

I use full 1080p ad 100% resolution no text modifiers.

I've realized the surface will really help me with my guitar practicing. I can use the camera app and just tap the screen to start recording, tap again to stop, then swipe from the side and open the video for review. For the next take, I can just swipe from the side again. Can also just tap again and skip reviewing the recorded vid. It's extremely easy and fluid. I'm sure other devices can do this too, but not my desktop computer or my chromebook (soon to be sold off).

Feep

Banned
Just got full Visual Studio 2010 C# + XNA 4.0 + my latest project running on this thing, which was its true goal in my life.

It is beautiful. I can work from ANYWHERE. With a TABLET.

Feep

Banned
Even with the screen autorotate locked, the screen, uh...still autorotates. Anyone else have this problem? I tried disabling it from the Settings Charm and the Screen Resolution section of the Desktop.

Edit: Just started working for no discernible reason. Never mind!

m0dus

Banned
Have you tried installing Wacom's tablet drivers, pen pressure worked for me in PS on ASUS Eslate after installing this driver.

http://www.wacom.com/CustomerCare/Drivers.aspx?model=Tablet+PC&os=Windows+8

See above.no go yet

Word is that Wacom is beta testing new drivers as we speak. Surface uses Microsofts API which adobe and sai doesn't recognize (they use wintab, which is supported by the standard Wacom driver that you can't install yet) but it IS recognized by artrage, feshpaint, and onenote.

Give it time. :)

derFeef

Anyone with a pro tested out the synching between your desktop and the surface yet? I am really curious of how that works, and how good.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
to clarify - they keyboard covers attach magnetically, but they don't stay closed magnetically.

To followup on the SAI issue, I tried installing the tablet PC driver I installed previously on my Samsung series 7, but it didn't detect the tablet this time. It may have to wait until a separate driver update is available from WACOM, suffice it to say I will be exploring this issue further.

No but seriously, how does pen pressure not work with photoshop.

What the fuck

It's gonna take a driver or executable tweak for these programs to recognize the Wacom hardware that is installed (perhaps it is newer, thus not recognized by the older driver on the website) before pressure sensitivity is available, it seems. It certainly is capable, as demonstrated by sketchbook express and fresh paint.

Hm... should I hold off for now then? I don't want to pay $1K and have it not be useable for months. :/

Epcott

Thanks for the Photoshop CS impressions, everyone. Photoshop is THE main reason I wanted the Pro.

If the pressure sensitivity is borked, then I'm not in a rush to get it. However, I do wonder how well an alternate program like Painter runs on it, and if there is any lag while drawing in CS.

m0dus

Banned
Hm... should I hold off for now then? I don't want to pay $1K and have it not be useable for months. :/

Ymmv. I think holding off is reasonable if you can't work alternatives into your workflow (feshpaint and sketchbook express are free, also artrage works great. They will tide me over. :) )

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Loving mine even with the broken keyboard port (replacement unit on its way). Biggest surprise for me so far is how much I love the UI (metro) mode. My plan was to use the desktop for most things now I'm using UI for everything I can.

Couldn't stand it on my desktop but its great for touch screen.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ymmv. I think holding off is reasonable if you can't work alternatives into your workflow (feshpaint and sketchbook express are free, also artrage works great. They will tide me over. :) )

I see what you mean. I've never used sketchbook before, worth it?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Any tips on using an sd card with the Surface Pro? Is it ok to move the music, documents, and photo folders to the sd?

Dropbox didn't let me install it to the sd because it's a removable media.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any tips on using an sd card with the Surface Pro? Is it ok to move the music, documents, and photo folders to the sd?

Dropbox didn't let me install it to the sd because it's a removable media.

There is a workaround - google using sd cards on surface RT. Is convoluted but then works great. Read carefully tho.

Edit, never mind. Pro.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
can't believe the MS mouse bring the review down a whole .8 / 10. but its the verg they can't be unbiased that would make them question their journalistic integrity.

Wedge mouse has gesture input and is god tier. And wedge keyboard has win 8 buttons and is also god tier. And wedge keyboard is about a third of the price of type cover. So I use a combo of touch cover, wedge mouse and keyboard and screen input and I am basically Minority Report.

Also fixed one of those SD cards and the other one is dead. Thanks peeps. Check PMs tomorrow or Tuesday.

And has anyone done a Mac OS install on one of these yet?

m0dus

Banned
Eh. Touch drivers are really hit or miss with osx. I don't know if it would be worth it, given how much better the interface is for windows 8 (again, coming from someone with 2 modbooks). Pen tablet might be doable, but your limiting functionality so much, I imagine it will be challenge.

Top Bottom