• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

hwalker84

I had no problem with the commercials until it became apparent that that's ALL they were going to do.

Do they even have any ads (other than YouTube vids) that show off the actual FUNCTIONS of the OS/Surface? Why don't we have ads that show off how it can be used as a drawing device? How useful it can be for students? How it can hook up to TVs and use multiple accessories? How SkyDrive storage is used with Office applications and the desktop?

MS is so fucking frustrating. They have great phones and devices but have no fucking clue how to market them. Apple's ads that show off the functionality and apps are great, just copy them now instead of waiting a few years.
Its comical. No one has a fucking clue what either Surface is when you talk to the general population and the dancing commercials don't do a single thing to change that. Then they continue to insist that people love the Windows brand. It comes with too much baggage. I've had people ask what phone is that? Nokia Lumia920... Does it run Android? No Windows Phone... Oh I don't need a phone that complicated. Windows Phone should've been the Metro OS or something that totally disassociates itself from the Windows brand like Xbox. Windows RT should've been WP8 scaled to a tablet OS or did something look wise to differentiate itself from regular Windows 8.

giga

I had no problem with the commercials until it became apparent that that's ALL they were going to do.

Do they even have any ads (other than YouTube vids) that show off the actual FUNCTIONS of the OS/Surface? Why don't we have ads that show off how it can be used as a drawing device? How useful it can be for students? How it can hook up to TVs and use multiple accessories? How SkyDrive storage is used with Office applications and the desktop?

MS is so fucking frustrating. They have great phones and devices but have no fucking clue how to market them. Apple's ads that show off the functionality and apps are great, just copy them now instead of waiting a few years.
Leave ballmer alone.

So chaps this question is not directly surface related but bear with me:

How is the Windows tablet experience? I want to buy an Asus Transformer book either this year or next (Haswell or Broadwell) and use as a home tablet / computer. Good idea or bad?

I don't have a tablet at the moment but will buy a Nexus 7 to supplement the transformer book and my current computer is a laptop which is uncomfortable and has a short battery life when not using it at my desk.

So chaps this question is not directly surface related but bear with me:

How is the Windows tablet experience? I want to buy an Asus Transformer book either this year or next (Haswell or Broadwell) and use as a home tablet / computer. Good idea or bad?

I don't have a tablet at the moment but will buy a Nexus 7 to supplement the transformer book and my current computer is a laptop which is uncomfortable and has a short battery life when not using it at my desk.

It is a really powerfull tablet os. you have all the functionality of the pc and a perfectly working touch-enabled UX. the "snap view" is fantastic for "apps" and allows for finger friendly multi tasking. everything is smooth and works well. live tiles are a bliss to use.

some negatives are:

- not as many apps as on competing platforms (more "tablet"-apps than android though and with blue stacks a progressively improving android-app player!)
- Desktop side does not scale well on high dpi screens. no real problem though
- core i3/i5/i7 tablets are heavy and need a vent (but since you plan to subsitute it with a nexus you have the best of all worlds)

are you locked in on transformer book? I am not sure if that thing has really good build quality

Damnit, my Surface RT stopped working :(

I was using it and it started running incredibly sluggishly all of a sudden. I tried to open YouTube RT and everything just froze. I turned it off and on, but it wouldn't get past the "Surface" boot screen. Tried to get to the automatic repair after boot to no avail.

I just sent it off to Microsoft for an exchange. I'll probably be without it until the end of week :/ Sucks, because I really like it a lot. Between Xbox Video, the Giant Bomb app and others it's how I consume 90% of my media.

Assuming the RT they send back to me is brand new, I'm considering just selling it on eBay and getting a Pro.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any switcher's guide for moving from Mac to a Surface Pro/Win 8?

Also any word on when the Microsoft will be restocking the device? The 128GB is being listed for ridiculous prices on the the usual sites right now :/

btrboyev

I just picked up a Pro 128 today and everything is great except the front camera doesn't appear to work...just a black screen.

Anyway, if anybody can offer help with maybe a solution before I call up Microsoft, I would be grateful.

Anony

i posted in win8 thread by accident, here it is (regards with surface pro):

so, i'm thinking to getting the complete warranty

right now, i'm noticing that there is pretty bad backlight leaks, they probably wont let me replace it
so if i get the complete warranty, i'll just 'accidentally' drop it, and replace it, but that time maybe they'll have fixed the backlight leaking

i know it's a pretty bad thing to do, but i'm honestly not satisfied with the screen if i know it's possible to get a better one

thoughts?

btrboyev

Just set up a replacement return to MS because the front camera didn't work out of the box. I have the worst luck with purchases.

hwalker84

Returned my 64GB RT because I had extremely slow wifi no matter what network I was on. Hopefully it's fixed with this new one but I wont be able to truly tell until I get home.

Ryu1999

Does anyone have the 64GB Surface? Any regrets?

I have the 64gb - no regrets but I did buy a 64gig sd card. Space isn't an issue since I mainly use it for word processing / web browsing.

I do feel like the type cover is unnecessarily finicky in maintaining a connection though - should I get a replacement?

Returners

I just picked up a Pro 128 today and everything is great except the front camera doesn't appear to work...just a black screen.

Anyway, if anybody can offer help with maybe a solution before I call up Microsoft, I would be grateful.

There's a Camera app on the Start screen already.

I've had problems with the rear camera, but switched for a new one at the MS store.

J-Rod

I got play around with a 64GB version yesterday. We are testing them at work to see if they are a viable replacement to laptops for our people who work out in the field. It was a pretty neat little device, but mostly what you'd expect from a win8 tablet.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have the 64gb - no regrets but I did buy a 64gig sd card. Space isn't an issue since I mainly use it for word processing / web browsing.

I do feel like the type cover is unnecessarily finicky in maintaining a connection though - should I get a replacement?

Thanks for your recommendation. Just picked up a Surface Pro 64GB. I'm going to try and use this as my main machine for a bit — last time I did that was with the Samsung Series 7 tablet early last year and it didn't go so well. I've always had a Windows installation available on my Macs but that was for specific school/work apps; I used OS X for everything else.

With that in mind, can I get advice for:

Making a usb recovery drive and reclaiming that space on Surface Pro.
Protection. I use Microsoft Security Essentials in my Windows VM. Do I need anything else?

Email app
PDF reader
Comic Reader
Twitter app
Backup utility (replacement for TimeMachine/SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac)
Bluray player and ripper
DLNA server
Download manager (to manage regular browser/ftp downloads not usenet or torrent clients per se — replacement for Speed Download on the Mac)
Rule based auto file handling utility (replacement for Hazel on the Mac)
Is Browser Chooser any good? (replacement for Choosy on the Mac)
Swype keyboard
What should I pick out from Ninite?

I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse but it's a bit too heavy and takes up the sole usb port. Is there an alternative portable bluetooth mouse that supports Win8 gestures? And is there an utility for customizing the gestures and shortcuts similar to BetterTouchTool on the Mac?

Any other tips to get started?

Coldsnap

Whats the best slip cover for the RT? Something v. minimal and masculine... I feel like just the keyboard isn't adding enough protection.

MooMoo

I will probably get this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZOT6GQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

just something to keep the dirt and scratches off the back while in my backpack / duffle.
Oh that's a nice case. The answer to this is probably yes, but you think the pro will fit it? Kinda also want something to protect mine while in the backpack.

Edit: Also, anyone know how MS does debit/credit card charges? I had a pending charge on my debit card for my order (128GB Pro, Microsoft Complete, screen protector, and 2-day shipping) but that eventually disappeared and got replaced by a successful charge of $80. Now I have a pending charge for $17. I don't really understand what's happening; none of those amounts are equal to the value of any one item I ordered. I did get my screen protector in but obviously my Pro is still waiting to be shipped. I'm guessing the split shipping is the cause of the weird amounts charged?

Coldsnap

Here's a hypothetical question: Any way I can start a video on my Surface, like a giantbomb video, watch half of it then continue it on my windows 8 PC?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
thanks guys...

also , I have a problem sending video to my XBOX, i start playing it in smart glass, but when i go to send it to my 360 it says that there is no device to send it to although, I know my surface is connected to the 360 because I can control it... I dont know what to do with this thing

A bit bent on what's happened between Microsoft and Google. The result is I can't get my google calendar to update the Windows 8 metro calendar. Seems Google no longer supports a particular protocol and Microsoft doesn't support enough of them from the start.

The calendar support somehow has been grandfathered in so if you set up your calendar sometime before February, it works fine. If not, you're out of luck. You can't even get your contacts from google on there without a workaround (you add your google account to your windows account on the MS website). All workarounds for the calendar are fail.

Top Bottom