• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

ironmang

Okay, so it could have been worse if the swap worked entirely differently, sure lol.

As for 4 non-Peter brains...I'd say that would be slightly better as long as it wasn't Tai who was with her? The way it worked out meant that if the three Brains (Aubrey, Joe & Peter) targeted Scot, Julia would join the tribe and they'd be deadlocked 3-3. Therefore they had absoutely no choice but to target either Tai or Anna, and I find it hard to criticise Anna for falling short in that comparison.

How could she have prepared any better for a swap? She had a working relationship with literally everyone on her tribe, and a tight alliance with the other girls. I find it hard to believe that she wasn't looking for the idol too, and I don't hold it against her that she wasn't the one to find it - there's a huge amount of luck involved in finding them, anyway.

No, I'm saying it could have been a situation where the majority was throwing challenges just to vote off someone from her alliance. Why does the method of tribe swap matter anyways?

I'm not really criticizing her as much as you're making excuses for her getting booted like she had 0.0% chance of not going. Not like the brain tribe is a bunch of BFFs. If you want to win the social game then work some social magic.

Even talking about Tai looking for the idol seems like a bad idea. They're not going to trust Scot enough to split votes.

Discussing this with my friend last night. I would definitely be the type to burn it all down on my way out. Reasons...

1) Got backstabbed by someone you trusted. Well payback is a bitch.
2) Makes for great tv I mean come on. If I am getting eliminated I am getting remembered.
3) Could land me a spot on the next Heroes vs Villains.

I don't really care if I torpedo someone's game or look butthurt on tv. I just lost my chance at 1 million, I'm not going out without spilling the tea all over the remains of tribal council.

Alternatively, if you torpedo the person who just screwed you, there's a good chance that they get voted out quickly afterwards and you're stuck together on the pre-jury trip for the next couple of weeks. Don't screw them over and they might make the jury and you don't have to see them again until the reunion.

Macka

No, I'm saying it could have been a situation where the majority was throwing challenges just to vote off someone from her alliance. Why does the method of tribe swap matter anyways?
Well, the Aaron swapfuck isn't really comparable because in that case the tribes were able to choose members of the other team to poach and then eliminate. Obviously that was far worse. Michelle Yi's exit in Fiji with the surprise unmerge was also an incredibly unfair swap. This is definitely up there too.
I'm not really criticizing her as much as you're making excuses for her getting booted like she had 0.0% chance of not going. Not like the brain tribe is a bunch of BFFs. If you want to win the social game then work some social magic.
That the Brains kinda hate each other and yet still stuck together for this vote should tell you everything you need to know about how easy a decision it is not to allow a 3-3 deadlock at the next vote. Joe and Aubrey even mentioned finding Anna sweet in the episode and originally wanted to target Tai, so she clearly wasn't doing as bad a job ingratiating herself to them as the edit would have you believe. They likely deferred to Peter to keep him in line as he's a flight risk.

TheYanger

Well, the Aaron swapfuck isn't really comparable because in that case the tribes were able to choose members of the other team to poach and then eliminate. Obviously that was far worse. Michelle Yi's exit in Fiji with the surprise unmerge was also an incredibly unfair swap. This is definitely up there too.

That the Brains kinda hate each other and yet still stuck together for this vote should tell you everything you need to know about how easy a decision it is not to allow a 3-3 deadlock at the next vote. Joe and Aubrey even mentioned finding Anna sweet in the episode and originally wanted to target Tai, so she clearly wasn't doing as bad a job ingratiating herself to them as the edit would have you believe. They likely deferred to Peter to keep him in line as he's a flight risk.

Honestly, it was still sort of her fault imo. You're right, they liked her and not Tai as much (except Scot who doesn't matter in this case), but she went around talking about him looking for the idol and as previously noted they don't have the numbers to split a vote. Even if Tai was totally unlikeable and Anna was a saint, if you think he MIGHT have the Idol and she all but told you that she didn't, you're going to vote for her. When they first told Scot "We're going Anna" in the episode I was shocked, I expected it to be a Tai mention and him to have to fight back, but it makes sense to vote for her even if they like her just due to what she told them about their tribe dynamics and what he did back at Beauty - she sold him as the one to keep, basically. IF he has an idol, you don't risk trying to vote him out in a situation where him using it is going to completely shit on your plan, you do it a week or two down the line when the numbers are more in your favor.

Losing Anna really hurts this season, even if she was kind of annoying. We already lost Liz.

So far, the cast hasn't been anything special. Caleb had potential, and Tai is great (outside of mentioning the idol), but it's been a bit lacklustre overall.

MBison

I really don't agree with Tai's decision not to play the idol for Anna. Robhasapodcast knowitalls seemed fine with it but I don't think it's a good long term play. The brains have dominant numbers now and there's almost no coming back from it. If you boot a brain using the idol that tribe flips to beauty dominance. The knowitalls seemed to say it still didn't give you game control cause the tribes are split but beauty would fully control one tribe and probably the second once they saw what happened and Jason and Cyd might side with beauty to stay with numbers.

Time will tell I guess. I know it's hard to use an idol for someone else but seems like tai is now just biding time until the brains pick him off.

BowieZ

Banned
I really don't agree with Tai's decision not to play the idol for Anna. Robhasapodcast knowitalls seemed fine with it but I don't think it's a good long term play. The brains have dominant numbers now and there's almost no coming back from it. If you boot a brain using the idol that tribe flips to beauty dominance. The knowitalls seemed to say it still didn't give you game control cause the tribes are split but beauty would fully control one tribe and probably the second once they saw what happened and Jason and Cyd might side with beauty to stay with numbers.

Time will tell I guess. I know it's hard to use an idol for someone else but seems like tai is now just biding time until the brains pick him off.
It's the intentional Matsing strategy. In modern Survivor, often the smaller numbers are safer because they are used by others to topple the kingpins. It's personally how I'd play the game. Sandra has twice Matsinged herself to one person and used herself as a swing to the end.

Rather than needlessly protecting big numbers, why not just shave off the fat and approach people as a flexible swing vote?

What's going to happen now is Beauty becomes less of a threat (well, maybe Julia gets voted out first?) and all hands are on deck to take out the Brains after the merge. And then Brawn as they are stronger physical threats. Tai doesn't need to keep the Beauty around for any of it.

All this talk about Anna's boobs, I'm not even a boob guy she was just hot as hell. Though I thought the same thing about Morgan so maybe I am just a boob guy?

Who is the youngest person to ever be on Survivor at the time of filming?

Julia said she was 18 in this episode which made me wonder.

I found that Spencer was 18 in Tocatins. but who was younger during their season?

Or is it neither of these two?

Who are everyone's choices for potential winner? I haven't read any spoilers or anything.

I think Jason will get far and be the overall villain of the season.. because of that I do not think he will win which means someone he drags along will, maybe one of the beauty girls. I have a feeling that the brains will get decimated...

Slathe

I wonder how much time they're given to use the idol and if there can be discussion?

I think Anna's best shot was calling Tai out when Jeff asked if anyone was going to play an idol, if that's allowed. If she said "Tai, aren't you playing your idol for me so we can eliminate Peter?" It puts him in an odd spot. He either plays it to secure a beauty majority or doesn't and is a huge target next with no clear majority. I think it forces his hand to play it and is more strategic than just burning him on the way out.

He might still not play it, but given the story it creates for brains to tell Julia upon her arrival and the fact that it kills Peter's desire to work with Tai, I think it could have spooked him into using it.

llehuty

I wonder how much time they're given to use the idol and if there can be discussion?

I think Anna's best shot was calling Tai out when Jeff asked if anyone was going to play an idol, if that's allowed. If she said "Tai, aren't you playing your idol for me so we can eliminate Peter?" It puts him in an odd spot. He either plays it to secure a beauty majority or doesn't and is a huge target next with no clear majority. I think it forces his hand to play it and is more strategic than just burning him on the way out.

He might still not play it, but given the story it creates for brains to tell Julia upon her arrival and the fact that it kills Peter's desire to work with Tai, I think it could have spooked him into using it.
That would give her 3 extra days, but that's it. No way anyone is going to trust her from that point.

That would give her 3 extra days, but that's it. No way anyone is going to trust her from that point.

I dunno would it really have that much affect on anyone but maybe Scot and Tai? I feel like the brains wouldn't end up caring that much because they didn't trust Peter anyways, and it flushes out an idol they didn't know about. Sure overall they're now down to Beauty, but they could have been anyways if they didn't trust Peter. Scot would probably be the most pissed because he sees it has more his move than anything else. Tai seems like he's so emotional and nice he'd end up coming around on it and probably react the same way he did when he was caught looking and act guilty as if he was caught. At that point Anna has her ally back from Brawn and it seems like 2-2-2 split and if they win the next immunity she has even more time to figure out what to do.

Slathe

I dont agree that it would be three extra days as she'd be, at worst, I'm a 2-2-2 split when Julia showed up, and that's only if Scot and Tai held a grudge. They could just unite to pick off the brains easily.

But even if it's only 3 more days, that's better than going home. Maybe tribe doesn't lose next immunity or it's an early merge. Or someone does something really dumb in the next three days. No way to know.

Debbie is amazing. I love how they give her different jobs every episode. Survivor always gets the best old hags. And Tai is so cute! ^_^ I love him so much, rooting for him to get to the end.

Didn’t like Caleb on Big Brother, but I did like him more here (although I still don't care for him all that much). I also felt bad, always sucks when there's medevacs. He'll definitely be back, probably with Terry on another season like Philippines.

Peturd is awful, and I wish they had booted him this episode. I think it was a mistake on Tai's part not to play the idol on Anna. They could've been up 4-2, but I get why one would want to preserve the idol in that situation.

Best guess at a winner is Cydnee. But she’s been getting focus for an obvious reason, so I'm not sure I would put too much stock in that right now.

Talonz

Debbie is amazing. I love how they give her different jobs every episode. Survivor always gets the best old hags. And Tai is so cute! ^_^ I love him so much, rooting for him to get to the end.

Didn’t like Caleb on Big Brother, but I did like him more here (although I still don't care for him all that much). I also felt bad, always sucks when there's medevacs. He'll definitely be back, probably with Terry on another season like Philippines.

Peturd is awful, and I wish they had booted him this episode. I think it was a mistake on Tai's part not to play the idol on Anna. They could've been up 4-2, but I get why one would want to preserve the idol in that situation.

Best guess at a winner is Cydnee. But she’s been getting focus for an obvious reason, so I'm not sure I would put too much stock in that right now.

Caleb from what we've seen of the edit has learned from his Big Brother stint. On Big Brother he was exposed for being a racist.

Haha, I noticed that. She keeps saying she does different things, so it fits.

I saw "Waitress" last week, then "Chemical Expert" this week.

Talonz

Haha, I noticed that. She keeps saying she does different things, so it fits.

I saw "Waitress" last week, then "Chemical Expert" this week.

I really think Debbie has a Tony thing going. She's flying under the radar and controlling things. She was instrumental on getting Liz out. It doesn't happen without her. The other peeps in the tribe just didn't give a fuck till she stepped up. Watch out for her because she could win this season. She's such a sleeper right now. I would love to see her and Tai in Final Tribal. It would be awesome as hell.

Caleb from what we've seen of the edit has learned from his Big Brother stint. On Big Brother he was exposed for being a racist.

If anything I think this just shows the power of a tv edit. I feel like a lot of people in Caleb's position would get favorable edits.

Being fair, I think this also reinforces why most smart people should never go on BB. Getting scrutinized 24/7 for an entire summer and airing your dirty laundry for all to see... Seems so silly to me. It's not even worth it unless you win.

Also, was he racist? I do remember him being a super creepy and misogynistic. With everything that's happened on the feeds in recent seasons, it wouldn't surprise me.

I would love to see her and Tai in Final Tribal. It would be awesome as hell.

This would be amazing.

kirblar

He had stuff up on instagram that was stereostypical southern white kid stupidity.

IIRC, people said he's gotten a lot better after BB (actually having to interact w/ people) but who knows.

He had stuff up on instagram that was stereostypical southern white kid stupidity.

IIRC, people said he's gotten a lot better after BB (actually having to interact w/ people) but who knows.

Ooohhhh yeah, I forgot about the pre-show instagram and twitter debacle. He said some homophobic stuff on there too as I recall. For his credit, on the feeds and on Survivor he's been gay friendly.

Cromat

Just caught up with this season. Here are my thoughts so far:

Med-evac debacle - Wow, I hope someone got fired for this. Absolutely idiotic challenge to have them doing in the sun like that, and for a freaking reward too. I also hate how they spun it as "Wow this season is so rough!" instead of the actual "we fucked up badly and almost killed three people and the show in one go". It's a real shame about Caleb, he was in a good place and seemed to be surprisingly humble and nice.

The actual survivors now:

Jason, or poor man's Rupert - Seems to be getting sort of a winner's edit, where they try to portray him as the badass with a soft side. Too bad he comes off as a douche, and sexist too with him calling Alecia "Blondie" all the time. He's in a good spot with the idol and a strong ally in Scot though.

Peter, or Obama's evil twin - One of the most beautifully narcissistic players in recent memory, and it's not even endearing like with Coach. He is also so painfully unaware and learned nothing from how he burnt bridges with his tribe the first time. I love it when a supposed genius thinks it's smart to have an alliance with ONE person in a tribe of six, so stupid. He is entertaining though so I hope he stays, honestly they should keep him as he wouldn't win Final Tribal Council with a loaded gun.

Tai - Casting highlight of the season, really lovable character and it's really nice to see how he manages to disarm everyone he interacts with. He got caught blatantly searching for idols on the first few days, which is usually a big no-no, but has managed to completely recover from it because it's hard to stay mad at him. He might be voted out for fear of his idol but if he stays he could be one of the most unique winners ever.

Debbie - At first I thought she would be the annoying socially oblivious person who gets voted first or second, but behind her being genuinely annoying and probably a liar too, she is actually a very decent player! She gets her way without anyone taking her seriously, which is a great place to be. If she goes out, it will be because she imploded in some stupid tantrum.

Those are the main ones as I see it right now. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Grexeno

I was thinking Cydney, Debbie or Neal, but I could see Aubry as a possibility.
Debbie's weirdo traits are constantly on display, even when she's telling us she's a mastermind. The edit undercuts what she's saying with the images on screen.

Neal is simply too impersonal. He's a gamebot.

I think we're headed for an under-the-radar female winner, and those three above are perfectly positioned.

Debbie's odd. They give her credit for certain things, but she's constantly portrayed as loony. I haven't eliminated her yet, but I wouldn't say she's great.

Neal is definitely a gamebot. I liked his odds at first, but he isn't getting a lot of personal development.

Aubry is a possibility, she's been hitting some good notes. As I noted earlier, I like Cydnee. She's had some personal development, and I think she was shielded from some of the negativity the Brawns got for their treatment of Alecia. I'll have to rewatch and keep a closer eye on Michele.

Also... I haven't completely eliminated Jason. He's definitely getting a douche edit, but they have also shielded him a bit. I don't really think he wins, but I do think he'll go far.

llehuty

*Edit talk* ZzzzzZzzzZzzz

Seriously, some of the people with highest screen time were Alecia and Caleb. People doing things are getting more screen time, independently of when are they leaving.

I'm expecting a Blood vs Water 2 type of winner this year, someone that was invisible pre merge but that starts .aking moves when needed.

I'm expecting a Blood vs Water 2 type of winner this year, someone that was invisible pre merge but that starts .aking moves when needed.

Some people correctly identified Natalie as a potential winner as early as episode 2. I wouldn't say she was that invisible.

Who are everyone's choices for potential winner? I haven't read any spoilers or anything.

I think Jason will get far and be the overall villain of the season.. because of that I do not think he will win which means someone he drags along will, maybe one of the beauty girls. I have a feeling that the brains will get decimated...

Michele was my episode 1 pick and she seems to be doing well so far.

Here we go! And Peter starts trying to think. This won't end well for him.

I really think Debbie has a Tony thing going. She's flying under the radar and controlling things. She was instrumental on getting Liz out. It doesn't happen without her. The other peeps in the tribe just didn't give a fuck till she stepped up. Watch out for her because she could win this season. She's such a sleeper right now. I would love to see her and Tai in Final Tribal. It would be awesome as hell.

I don't know...I don't think Tony was ever treated as a nutjob, was he? They showed him being a little kooky, but they never outright mocked him.

And no way Tai makes it to FTC. He's the next Yau Man: everyone loves him, no one wants to sit next to him for a million dollars, and when he inevitably returns he's an early boot.

Nick is also trying to think.

Someone is going to hurt themselves trying to use a muscle they never use.

Nick suddenly getting screen time is probably not a good sign for him.

Edit: I love that moment when Debbie starts talking about how she's done modeling, and only then does her name pop up with "Part-time model" as her job description.

Jarrod38

Nick a Greek God.
4GYOHIp.gif

He got some screentime last episode too. Maybe they just want to mock him for a few episodes? I think the Survivor editors must be loving how many obnoxious people they got this season who are right in that sweet spot of being hilariously douchey, without crossing the line into being vile and unwatchable.

Also: Debbie: Part-Time Model

Kifimbo

Scot wasn't exactly a point guard, so losing here was certainly possible, especially against someone with basketball experience.

Top Bottom