• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SVC:Chaos. Why should I NOT buy it this week?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think SVCC is a fun fighter. The collision detection and balance issues make it unsuitable for tournament play but if you are just lookin to have some fun I think its worth it. Just wait for it to drop to $20.

And I agree with Lyte Edge.... SVCC > SSV without a doubt.

I didn't really enjoy SVC. I'm not a high level player or anything like that, so I'm not coming from that argument. It simply felt thrown together. Genjuro's SSIV sprite with early KOF sprites, Balrog being based off Heavy D's sprite...that's not all. It really turned me off, because I felt the game wasn't its own, that it didn't flow.

I also thought it was drab. The colors just weren't there. Fire/flame effects were weak at best. This kind of thing matters to me.

Finally, I remeber hit detection was really off in some cases. I also remember the command imputs being unresponsive (Guiles flash kick worked somtimes). I heard this was fixed, but I don't know.

Overall, I may be being a bit hard on the game. I had high hopes for it, because I didn't really enjoy CVS2 and thought this game could be the crossover game I've been waiting for. However, after playing SVC I felt that it repeated some of the mistakes of the CVS series and had some new ones of its own. It left me dissapointed.

Warrior

Banned
I hated SVC at first, but lately I've been playing it against my bro and I'm starting to enjoy it.

It does have problems with the hit detection which feels off the mark when playing other people and the graphics (mainly the backgrounds.) might not have been the most impressive on the Neo, but they are not down right ugly (to me anyway.)

One of the things which really could have improved the game for me would have been the animation. I think having excellent animation in a 2D fighter really does add a lot to the overall feel of the game. The animation in SVC does not have that solid flow such as Garou:MotW or SF3, which in my view was a big let down because I would have loved to see animation on par with Garou:MotW in this game.

Overall, I feel that it’s a game which can be enjoyable when played against people you know, but it’s a game which I’m sure a lot of people do dislike because of the flaws which can become annoying and at times aggravating.

neptunes

I'd still like to play Lyte Edge over mame :D

but I think the most annoying flaw that SvC:Chaos has is it's, Guard Cancel Frontstep.

I still play it from time to time though. :)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
It's really not worth spending 50 bucks on SvC Chaos when there is much better stuff like SF Anniversary Collection and Guilty Gear XX Reload for half that price.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Are the sprites big and chunky? I was amazed at the sprite size/resolution of #Reload. I don't remember GG on the DC having sprites that large, but it has been a while.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Biff Hardbody said:
I also thought it was drab. The colors just weren't there. Fire/flame effects were weak at best. This kind of thing matters to me.

This is based off the PS2 version, but I'm sure Xbox is the same (or possibly better): The home version of Chaos got a small visual upgrade that definitely helps its look. Everything has a smoother look (less jagged edges on sprites), plus all the special moves and lifebars got true transparancies added to them, as well as blur/trails, making them look better. The color edit mode should also help things out a bit. And with the stages, some are better than others; I like the cathedral, forest stage, and the "boss" stage with the light effect, but everything else is a bit on the dull side. SNK Playmore really should have added 3D backgrounds; this game really needed something done to the backdrops. KOF 2002 on PS2 has better image quality, all the same effects from this game, plus 3D backgrounds, and it really helps the look of the game.

Biff Hardbody said:
Finally, I remeber hit detection was really off in some cases. I also remember the command imputs being unresponsive (Guiles flash kick worked somtimes). I heard this was fixed, but I don't know.

Actually, it's not that the inputs were unresponsive. SNK Playmore changed the way you have to do down/up charge moves for whatever reason; you have to charge straight down and cannot charge down/back, meaning that if you want to block then flash kick, you have to go from db right to d, then u. Perhaps they thought it would make for some different game play or something, but it's just weird, but yeah, they tweaked the controls for the PS2 version, so it's better.

Biff Hardbody said:
Overall, I may be being a bit hard on the game. I had high hopes for it, because I didn't really enjoy CVS2 and thought this game could be the crossover game I've been waiting for. However, after playing SVC I felt that it repeated some of the mistakes of the CVS series and had some new ones of its own. It left me dissapointed.

I look at this game as the Neo-Geo's "Marvel Vs. Capcom 2." It's broken, but if you look past its flaws, it's a lot of fun. If I want serious game play, I'll stick with KOF, but this is still an entertaining fighter IMO, and I like the more obscure roster choices that they went with. You can't play as Genjuro, Shiki, Tabasa, Hugo, Zero, Demitri, etc. in any other crossover games, or any recent fighters for that matter, so it keeps me coming back.

neptunes said:
I'd still like to play Lyte Edge over mame :D

PM how and I'm all for it. :)

MrAngryFace said:
the demo I played on xdude is really gross looking. I guess too much reload has spoiled me

Obviously GG is going to have a far cleaner look than Chaos, although being GG, it's also light on the animation. :p

Warrior

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
I dunno man, chaos looked worse than all the snk ports ive seen for some reason

What in your view looked worse about it, MAF? :)

Samurai Shodown V Special in my view looks better then SVC. I’m going to buy the MVS cart in the coming weeks I like the game so much.

It might just be the style of the games which appeal to us more in the end of the day then the actual pixels which make up the sprites.

Top Bottom