• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Come on guys, go to EviLore's travel thread and give him some tips on what to do! He's currently sick in Uppsala but is thinking about seeing some mountains and the like when he gets well. Represent our country guys! :p

He's a millionaire, he ain't allowed to be sick.

please don't kill me

edit : yoshi you meeting up with Evilore saturday? I'd love to come as well, we going uppsala?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck this. Saturday, I'm picking up Corky and we're heading to Stockholm to meet up with Evilore.

THIS IS FACT. WE ARE NOT CHANGING ANY PLANS. PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN OUR GROUP, WE WILL BE LEAVING FROM ÖREBRO.

Minamu

I'd love to join but we have our "Back 2 School" party on Saturday night and then the nollning starts. That, I might be able to skip some of if Evilore's going south or is still in Sthlm next week.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'd love to join but we have our "Back 2 School" party on Saturday night and then the nollning starts. That, I might be able to skip some of if Evilore's going south or is still in Sthlm next week.
I'm in Stockholm this Friday-Sunday, after that no plans either way.
!

KAOz

Short bus special
Fuck this. Saturday, I'm picking up Corky and we're heading to Stockholm to meet up with Evilore.

THIS IS FACT. WE ARE NOT CHANGING ANY PLANS. PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN OUR GROUP, WE WILL BE LEAVING FROM ÖREBRO.

Train or car? And when? :p PM me the details, and I'll think a bit.

Kenka

It's nice at least to see that weather in Sweden is normal. 16° to 20° feels like heaven compared to the 35° we got down on mainland.

Yoshichan

From the EviLore thread:

Okay so EviLore, we're currently three people from Örebro (me, Corky and KAOz) that wants to meet up with you on Saturday, hope that's cool! There's also Haxxor who lives in Stockholm that we might pick up as-well~

Drencrom

From the EviLore thread:

Okay so EviLore, we're currently three people from Örebro (me, Corky and KAOz) that wants to meet up with you on Saturday, hope that's cool! There's also Haxxor who lives in Stockholm that we might pick up as-well~

Fan, vill också hänga på :| Om rumpnissen Evilore hade kommit en vecka tidigare till Stockholm hade man kunnat ta en sväng ner :V

Hitta vad, tråden eller GAF? :)

Tråden med tjockt T, fellow umebo!

DD

So, how's the swede food? I think I've never heard about it, but some pictures in this thread made my mouth start watering.

KAOz

Short bus special
So, how's the swede food? I think I've never heard about it, but some pictures in this thread made my mouth start watering.

Meatballs = Awesome
Spaghetti och köttfärssås = Awesome
Sill (Raw fish) = Awesome
Tacos = Awesome
Smörsgåstårta = Awesome
Kebabpizza = Awesome
Makaroner and ketchup = Best poor student food ever.

So as you see, it is fucking awesome. Classical swedish husmanskost.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Om åtminstone en av swe-gaf inte är bannad/Gaf-goldad efter den här helgen så har vi failat...

antipod

Meatballs = Awesome
Spaghetti och köttfärssås = Awesome
Sill (Raw fish) = Awesome
Tacos = Awesome
Smörsgåstårta = Awesome
Kebabpizza = Awesome
Makaroner and ketchup = Best poor student food ever.

So as you see, it is fucking awesome. Classical swedish husmanskost.

You forgot ärtsoppa med pannkakor... :)

Forsete

Rotmos med fläsklägg > all that crap.

fl%C3%A4skl%C3%A4gg_rotmos.jpg

So awesome that one can not express it in words.

Kroppkakor arent bad either.

kroppkakor_26611226.jpg

My grandmother makes the best ones.

Raggmunkar med fläsk.
raggmunkar.jpg

Frikadeller med vad-som-helst.. NOM!
frikadeller_recept.jpg

Hungry yet?

Yoshichan

Yooo Forsete, you up for the stockholm meeting :D?

Kamaji

Thread subscribed. Swedish GAF, I have questions!! I have a job offer in Lund that I am strongly considering. Position would start next year and I'm coming from Toronto.

Housing? I hear it's very hard to come by and that I would have a better chance of finding something in Malmo. I'm used to a bigger city so I think Malmo might be my first choice anyways. I also hear that it's expensive. I'm also used to expensive so I'm hoping it's not shockingly expensive. Can I expect to find something relatively nice for 2 people and possibly a baby for ~$2000 CAD / USD (~13250 kr)? Less would be better but that's what I pay now. Are there sites like Craigslist to find housing?

Is something like parental leave available to a foreigner? Same goes for healthcare. I'm assuming yes to both since that's how it is in Canada.

Transportation? I currently own a newish car but would be selling it if we moved. I'm assuming public transportation is good but what kind of commute am I looking at? I'm thinking a good couple of bikes will be worthwhile investment.

Language? I hear that English only is OK but I'd like to make an effort to pick up Swedish as well. Especially if we end up staying and having a kid. How would I go about taking a course?

I have many more questions but I'll stop for now. One more, is it as gloriously godless as I hope/hear? Other must know things for someone new to the country?

I'm from Lund and can answer most questions about the city itself.

Housing in Lund is not particularly cheap by Swedish standard but your sum should be enough. It's hard to get anything at all in august/september and january since the university semesters begin then and 35 000 or so students return to school. But almost every area is safe, close to your work and decent and therefore perhaps the most comfortable option.

Housing in Malmö is plentiful and cheap (by Swedish standards). http://www.boplatssyd.se/Pages/Start.aspx is a website for public and private housing companies. The public flats goes to the ones who have queued the longest but perhaps it's possible to get a private flat directly if you have a decent income and a safe job (i.e. make a good impression). It's worth a try at least.

Otherwise there are many other private housing companies in Lund & Malmö which own apartments. Since i'm a mere student I would recommend you to ask around your potential job for advices there. I'd recommend centrum, västra innerstaden, möllevången, slottstaden and rörsjöstaden when it comes to neighbourhoods.

Blocket.se is the standard outlet for second-hand-apartments in all of Sweden if you only intend to stay a little while.

Not sure but probably other posters have probably nailed this one.

The public transportations are excellent. Train every 15 minutes or so between Malmö and Lund which takes about 10 minutes or so. 45 minutes by train from Lund to Copenhagen. Good transportations to other places in scania and Sweden. Lund is small and suited for walks or bicycles.

English will work just fine. Especially in Lund which is an extremly international town with a large skilled expat community (i'm very crappy by student-in-lund-standards). There are english-speaking daycares and schools if you stay and have a baby but if you stay like 10 years or so, learning the native language is always a worthwhile investment.

Feel free to ask any questions at all. I know my city quite well. This post were written in a few minutes during a tv-break so some things may be a little messed up/hard to understand.

Presco

I'm from Lund and can answer most questions about the city itself.

Housing in Lund is not particularly cheap by Swedish standard but your sum should be enough. It's hard to get anything at all in august/september and january since the university semesters begin then and 35 000 or so students return to school. But almost every area is safe, close to your work and decent and therefore perhaps the most comfortable option.

Housing in Malmö is plentiful and cheap (by Swedish standards). http://www.boplatssyd.se/Pages/Start.aspx is a website for public and private housing companies. The public flats goes to the ones who have queued the longest but perhaps it's possible to get a private flat directly if you have a decent income and a safe job (i.e. make a good impression). It's worth a try at least.

Otherwise there are many other private housing companies in Lund & Malmö which own apartments. Since i'm a mere student I would recommend you to ask around your potential job for advices there. I'd recommend centrum, västra innerstaden, möllevången, slottstaden and rörsjöstaden when it comes to neighbourhoods.

Blocket.se is the standard outlet for second-hand-apartments in all of Sweden if you only intend to stay a little while.

Not sure but probably other posters have probably nailed this one.

The public transportations are excellent. Train every 15 minutes or so between Malmö and Lund which takes about 10 minutes or so. 45 minutes by train from Lund to Copenhagen. Good transportations to other places in scania and Sweden. Lund is small and suited for walks or bicycles.

English will work just fine. Especially in Lund which is an extremly international town with a large skilled expat community (i'm very crappy by student-in-lund-standards). There are english-speaking daycares and schools if you stay and have a baby but if you stay like 10 years or so, learning the native language is always a worthwhile investment.

Feel free to ask any questions at all. I know my city quite well. This post were written in a few minutes during a tv-break so some things may be a little messed up/hard to understand.

Thanks so much, especially for the apartment info. Do you know if there's any housing website with built in google maps like www.padmapper.com? Prices are not as bad as I was expecting so that's a big plus.

And thanks to everyone else who gave suggestions as well. It's a big decision but one that I'm definitely leaning toward at the moment. I'll be in and out of this thread with questions in the future.

Yoshichan

Me and ÖrebroGAF (well, me and Corky more specifically) will discuss time, place and whatnot tomorrow so keep updating this page tomorrow~

edit: Also, we should definitely make it to Blommor and Bin when it's time

jorma

is now taking requests
Haha, indeed. Nah, but Trollhättan is fine for me, been there most of my later years and bigger cities make me uncomfortable. :)

Everything is relative to what you are used to i guess =) My mom moved back to the arctic circle when she divorced my dad because she found stockholm "too hectic", a friend of mine from new york loves Stockholm because she finds it "quaint and tranquil"..

Personally i think it's both and that's why i love it so much! Stockholm you beautiful metropolitan global village! <3<3<3

Top Bottom