• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

Leezard

Got admitted into Umea university! and am placed on a reserve list for Uppsala.

1014.gif

Congratulations! It's not as bad as they say, there are at least 5 non-winter months up there.

Got admitted into Umea university! and am placed on a reserve list for Uppsala.

1014.gif
Congrats, man! I've heard a lot of good things about Umeå. I'll be going to Uppsala this autumn to do a Master's myself.
Are both of you enrolling as non-Swedes? Is it easier to get into a Swedish university as an international applicant?

(I'm reminded of an anecdote where my mother spoke to a Japanese guy my age on a plane ride to Sweden, and she asked him why he chose Sweden out of all places to go get a degree. He said that he couldn't get in anywhere else... Then again, the same goes for Japanese universities, where it's really easy for international students to get into prestigious universities, while it's the complete opposite for Japanese students.)

Just trying to explore my options. I'm getting my bachelor's degree in the US (as a Swedish international student), and am thinking about getting a master's degree back in Sweden since I won't have to pay tuition.

Are the programs entirely in English? You're not being made to take any sort of remedial Swedish, right? (You probably think it's weird for me to be asking someone from the outside about how my country's education works, but I'm ignorant.) Is finding student housing as impossible as everyone says it is?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Are both of you enrolling as non-Swedes? Is it easier to get into a Swedish university as an international applicant?

(I'm reminded of an anecdote where my mother spoke to a Japanese guy my age on a plane ride to Sweden, and she asked him why he chose Sweden out of all places to go get a degree. He said that he couldn't get in anywhere else... Then again, the same goes for Japanese universities, where it's really easy for international students to get into prestigious universities, while it's the complete opposite for Japanese students.)

Just trying to explore my options. I'm getting my bachelor's degree in the US (as a Swedish international student), and am thinking about getting a master's degree back in Sweden since I won't have to pay tuition.

Are the programs entirely in English? You're not being made to take any sort of remedial Swedish, right? (You probably think it's weird for me to be asking someone from the outside about how my country's education works, but I'm ignorant.) Is finding student housing as impossible as everyone says it is?

I did the same thing, got my bachelor's in the US and took my Master's degree in Stockholm. All the courses were in english and about half of the student were international. This were at Stockholm School of Economics, so unsure about other universities.

I did the same thing, got my bachelor's in the US and took my Master's degree in Stockholm. All the courses were in english and about half of the student were international. This were at Stockholm School of Economics, so unsure about other universities.
That's good to hear. The last thing I'd want to do is switch to another language when I've already done all my previous schooling in English. I was even debating going to the UK instead.

Of course they are in English. Most people don't take master's degrees. Loads of international students come to Sweden to take it.

Billen

Banned
Svensk radio från Bali, kan det vara något? Inte helt opåverkat är min lilla gissning.

Edit: Verkar nere. Varför är de ölen jag tog med ett par kollegor efter jobbet så mycket godare än den öl jag sedan tog när jag kom hem.

LNBL

I think every master is in English with the exception of a few. I actually applied at Umea because it became a bit impossible to enlist for the Erasmus school back home in The Netherlands ( My average was 0.08 too low -_-), besides they also make you take the GMAT entry exam which is a pain in the ass.

Just read this article about student satisfaction rates at Umea ;) Don't know how representative the test is, but it is a motivational boost haha
http://www.umu.se/english/education/satisfied-students

Congrats, man! I've heard a lot of good things about Umeå. I'll be going to Uppsala this autumn to do a Master's myself.

Thanks man :) I also accepted the reserve position at Uppsala besides accepting the admission into Umea, however I think the chance of getting a reserve spot in Uppsala is relatively low. 20 people would have to decline their admission in order for me to get that placement.

What? Who are these poor people with no Master's degree? Plebs!
I think they all become doktorander instead.
Of course they are in English. Most people don't take master's degrees. Loads of international students come to Sweden to take it.
Man vet aldrig! Ibland så glömmer jag hur annorlunda Sverige är jämfört med flesta andra länder.

Jag hade också sett vilken sorts engelska används av t.ex Centrala studiestödsnämnden när jag försökte fråga om vilket format jag skulle skriva in datumet i en sida av min ansökan för studiemedel. Jag ringde dom och valde at tala med nån på engelska, och hon förstog inte skit. Hon sade också, "the datum" på engelska, så tillslut talade jag på svenska. Hon blev väldigt förvirrad.

Engelskan på många av Karolinska Institutet's sidor är också ganska...konstig. Men nu är jag så van med språket att jag märker sådana saker på en gång.

I think every master is in English with the exception of a few. I actually applied at Umea because it became a bit impossible to enlist for the Erasmus school back home in The Netherlands ( My average was 0.08 too low -_-), besides they also make you take the GMAT entry exam which is a pain in the ass.

Just read this article about student satisfaction rates at Umea ;) Don't know how representative the test is, but it is a motivational boost haha
http://www.umu.se/english/education/satisfied-students
I'll probably be taking the GMAT and MCAT anyway, but it would be nice not having to worry about that just yet.

What other schools besides Umeå and Uppsala did you apply to? Those two definitely came up as possible interests when I was searching around. My number one choice right now is Karolinska (which will probably be impossible to get into), followed by the University of Gothenburg (due to location).

I think you'll have a great time at Umeå. You're lucky!

0OoO0

Hi Sweden-GAF, first time entering this thread. Need some help with planning a trip to Sweden.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just don't have time to go through all 179 pages...I was wondering when is the best time to visit Sweden in 2014?

I would like to time to my trip to coincide with cultural events .e.g festivals, summer solstice, etc I heard Umeå will have plenty going on this year due to it being the european captial of culture for 2014? Is it worth going? Also one of my things in my bucket list is to see the Aurora Borealis but I heard this is best viewed during the winter season...

Also any recommendations and places to visit? I have only visited Stockholm before.

LNBL

I'll probably be taking the GMAT and MCAT anyway, but it would be nice not having to worry about that just yet.

What other schools besides Umeå and Uppsala did you apply to? Those two definitely came up as possible interests when I was searching around. My number one choice right now is Karolinska (which will probably be impossible to get into), followed by the University of Gothenburg (due to location).

I think you'll have a great time at Umeå. You're lucky!
I applied for Uppsala, Lund, Gothenburg and Umea.

ksan

Thanks man :) I also accepted the reserve position at Uppsala besides accepting the admission into Umea, however I think the chance of getting a reserve spot in Uppsala is relatively low. 20 people would have to decline their admission in order for me to get that placement.

Do you know how many spots there are in total for the program? Cause you might very well get in as reserve 20.

LNBL

Do you know how many spots there are in total for the program? Cause you might very well get in as reserve 20.

I'm not sure actually, they don't really communicate what the total number of applicants is. The only thing i can really think of is that Non-european students might have a hard time getting a visum or something like that.

yonder

Yup, applying as a non-Swede, although I've lived in Sweden for two years now and I speak Swedish, so I'm not sure where that puts me. I'm going for a Master's in English, so the degree is entirely in English (duh), but I think all international Master's are. I have to imagine there must be non-international Master's given in Swedish, though.

LNBL, what's your Master's in?

LNBL

Yup, applying as a non-Swede, although I've lived in Sweden for two years now and I speak Swedish, so I'm not sure where that puts me. I'm going for a Master's in English, so the degree is entirely in English (duh), but I think all international Master's are. I have to imagine there must be non-international Master's given in Swedish, though.

LNBL, what's your Master's in?

Marketing master :) Yours?

Boo. Thought someone would reply to my post
Midsummer is really nice but that might be the wrong season if you're interested in auroras. Where are you from? If you live close by you could book one short trip for the summer and then return again midwinter to experience ice hotels, -35°C temperatures and the aurora borealis.

[NaK]

Hi Sweden-GAF, first time entering this thread. Need some help with planning a trip to Sweden.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just don't have time to go through all 179 pages...I was wondering when is the best time to visit Sweden in 2014?

I would like to time to my trip to coincide with cultural events .e.g festivals, summer solstice, etc I heard Umeå will have plenty going on this year due to it being the european captial of culture for 2014? Is it worth going? Also one of my things in my bucket list is to see the Aurora Borealis but I heard this is best viewed during the winter season...

Also any recommendations and places to visit? I have only visited Stockholm before.

I personally prefere Sweden during the summer (June - August), when the weather is sunny and warm. It's a beautiful cuntry at this time of year.
It's a pretty small country, so you could really travel across it in a matter of days or weeks depending on how long you plan to visit.

Did you visit the Stockholm archipelago last time? If not, I highly recommend it.
Otherwise you should travel south and visit the west coast, which is really nice during the summer. (It does attract quite a lot of tourists though).

A personal favourite is biking across Gotland or Öland (Our two largest islands).

As for cultural, events, I would recommend midsummer (20th of June) which is a highly important festivity here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer#Sweden

Or a crayfish party if you visit in August.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish_party

0OoO0

Thanks for replying :)

Is midsummer really worth going if I do not know any swedish people? Would it be weird to just go and watch? And I assume the cities will be quiet and nothing will be open?
I think I will go towards the end of summer instead (August). Will there still be sunlight in the evening?

Never went to see the Stockholm archipelgo so I might do that. And I am actually planning to go to Gotland. I am trying to find accommodation there via help exchange.

rezuth

I'm not sure actually, they don't really communicate what the total number of applicants is. The only thing i can really think of is that Non-european students might have a hard time getting a visum or something like that.

A lot of people drop out early on. I have a lot of friends who got in as reserve 47 and one who got in at some math thing as 127.

KAOz

Short bus special
[NaK];106310870 said:
Tapet av text

Sluta ljug Styrman!

Snackar bara massa skit. Jämt.

Han borde komma hit under vintern och enbart besöka Kladdes Kebab.

Is midsummer really worth going if I do not know any swedish people? Would it be weird to just go and watch? And I assume the cities will be quiet and nothing will be open?
I think I will go towards the end of summer instead (August). Will there still be sunlight in the evening?

It is worth going to. And if you don't know anyone, don't worry, just study them from afar with binocluars. The tradition might seem strange at first, but don't worry, it'll get even weirder.

[NaK]

Sluta ljug Styrman!

Snackar bara massa skit. Jämt.

Han borde komma hit under vintern och enbart besöka Kladdes Kebab.

It is worth going to. And if you don't know anyone, don't worry, just study them from afar with binocluars. The tradition might seem strange at first, but don't worry, it'll get even weirder.

Måste ju försöka sälja Sverige lite till utlänningarna. Han behöver inte veta vilken håla detta land är :(

[NaK]

Thanks for replying :)

Never went to see the Stockholm archipelgo so I might do that. And I am actually planning to go to Gotland. I am trying to find accommodation there via help exchange.

It depends on how you'd prefere to celebrate it.
A lot of people celebrate midsummer by traveling to the countryside for a jolly old BBQ and copious amounts of liquor. (which usually end with bad decisions, venereal diseases, and a birth rate spike during March and April the following year).

Otherwise, midsummer is always celebrated with big public events, such as Skansen in Stockholm, where everyone can take part or just watch from a distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtppglzMNk

August is a nice. It's mostly warm and pleasant, and crayfish season ;)

Forsete

Så då är man tillbaka... igen. Förstog inte varför jag blev bannad den här gången.

Finns typ tre saker som ger ban direkt: Hets mot åsikt (i GAFs fall en kommentar som inte faller i linje med allmänt vedertagen liberal syn på det mesta), hets mot religion eller hets mot moddar.

Nå, vad gjorde du? :p

Finns typ tre saker som ger ban direkt: Hets mot åsikt (i GAFs fall en kommentar som inte faller i linje med allmänt vedertagen liberal syn på det mesta), hets mot religion eller hets mot moddar.

Jag har hetsat mot allt och aldrig blivit bannad.

Jag är immun.

Forsete

Jag har hetsat mot allt och aldrig blivit bannad.

Jag är immun.

Vafalls!?

Den enda vetenskapliga förklaringen jag kan komma med är att du troligtvis (enligt E=mc^2) innehaver ett krypterat USB-minne varpå man finner en krypterad fil som heter "försäkring.img" och som innehåller nakenbilder på Tyler "EviLore" Malka född AD 1982/02/22 i Boston Massachusetts, Amerikas Förenta Stater.

Hur nära kom jag?

Fan jag skriver ju som Guillou. Borde jag bli författare tycker ni? Enda som saknas är hans magnifikt korta men spänstiga underarmar.

MacNille

Banned

Var väl hets mot åsikt. Jag la en sarkastisk kommentar om att allt var kvinnofientligt (det var om det här: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/natalia-poklonskaya .) En kille sa att det var kvinnofientligt att folk gjorde fanbilder av henne. jag sa att ALLTING är kvinnofientligt nu för tiden, och med det så menar jag att folk använder det ord om allting. Så jag blev bannade för det. Fick aldrig någon motivering. Bara en länk till vad jag hade sagt.

Och är vad jag sa:
Originally Posted by stutte

TIL that it's misogynistic to find someone attractive.
Everything is misogynistic now.

Vafalls!?

Den enda vetenskapliga förklaringen jag kan komma med är att du troligtvis (enligt E=mc^2) innehaver ett krypterat USB-minne varpå man finner en krypterad fil som heter "försäkring.img" och som innehåller nakenbilder på Tyler "EviLore" Malka född AD 1982/02/22 i Boston Massachusetts, Amerikas Förenta Stater.

Hur nära kom jag?

Fan jag skriver ju som Guillou. Borde jag bli författare tycker ni? Enda som saknas är hans magnifikt korta men spänstiga underarmar.

Mhm, yes, jepp, japp, jajamän, helt fel.

Jag har ingen aning om hur utspritt detta är, men då och då stöter man på någon som gnäller om att ordet "lagom" suger. Jag tycker lagom är ett skitbra ord. Det har ju en inneboende positiv mening. Lagom mycket ketchup innebär ju t.ex. en perfekt mängd med ketchup.

#levlagom

Lagom är ett bra ord. I vissa sammanhang är det så klart för otydligt/abstrakt, men som vardagsspråk är det bra.

Ordet "hen" däremot är åt helvete. Försök översätta det till valfritt språk. "Menade du han eller hon?" Jo, det är ju det som är frågan. Så otroligt barnsligt ord.

MacNille

Banned
Lagom är ett bra ord. I vissa sammanhang är det så klart för otydligt/abstrakt, men som vardagsspråk är det bra.

Ordet "hen" däremot är åt helvete. Försök översätta det till valfritt språk. "Menade du han eller hon?" Jo, det är ju det som är frågan. Så otroligt barnsligt ord.

Glöm inte nu, Det är PK och alltså rätt.

Glöm inte nu, Det är PK och alltså rätt.

Ska vi rakt ner i hen-helvetet igen alltså?

Jag brydde mig inte så mycket om ordet förut, och tyckte också att det var lite löjligt. Men jag har kommit att uppskatta det mer på senare tid. Jag skriver t.ex. för tillfället min kandidatuppsats om ämnet transpersoner/transsexuella. I det sammanhanget är hen är väldigt användbart ord och jag förstår varför det behövdes i från första början.

Att ordet inte låter sig översättas ser jag inte som något dåligt heller, det är väl snarare så att detta gör alla andra språk fattigare. Jag förstår inte hur ett ord som faktiskt har en reell innebörd skulle vara dåligt för vårt språk. Det är lite samma som när människor tycker att "lagom" är dåligt för att det inte finns på engelska. Fika och blunda finns inte heller på engelska men är ytterst användbara.

Sättet hen introducerades på var inte direkt bästa tänkbara däremot. Det har sin användning i språkbruket men är inte något som gemene man egentligen behöver ha i åtanke under sitt vardagliga liv, vilket det i princip introducerades som.

För långt, läste inte
Hen förtjänar sin plats i det svenska språket, att ett ord inte existerar på andra språk är snarare ett minus för dessa än för det svenska.

Forsete

Har installerat FSX igen.

Gammal flygnörd som man är (alla FS sedan 1998).
Men tusan vad det flyter dåligt på datorn. Tydligen är det extremt beroende av CPUn, och det ser man när man kollar hur mycket grafikprocessorn belastas.. Som mest 10%!

Ugh! Fuck you Microsoft för att ni dödade FS-studion. Tänk hur awesome en sådan simulator hade kunnat vara idag. FSX släpptes 2006.

Microsoft försökte med sitt "Flight" men det var ju en pinsam historia. En nerdubbad hipsterifierad arkadversion av en flygsimulator. Jag kräks.

Top Bottom