• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

And this is why I don't progress at all in the story... I just spent around 2h doing hollow missions, had to stop cuz I'm working tmrw morning. Got me some fine loot + exp so in the end, as for the no story progression thing: not two fucks were given. LOL, time flies when I play this. Wish my time with games wasn't this limited these days, its hard to juggle between college, work, life, GAF and a "SP"MMO-like game like this one ahaha.

MSMrRound

Can you ever get enough Skill Points to max out the entire skill trees?

Also, any idea if anyone found any method for switching from DLC outfit to Buff/Att/Def/Initial outfits and back again? Or do I have to repurchase the DLC outfit from Arc Sophia's Armor shop everytime?

...and just a question...I'm currently stuck at the second Hallow area. Been walking all around ant tunnels but can't seem to find a path to the location to unlock the next part of the Hallow story (supposed to explore the floating ruins with Philla). Am I wandering around the wrong area?=/

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can you ever get enough Skill Points to max out the entire skill trees?

Also, any idea if anyone found any method for switching from DLC outfit to Buff/Att/Def/Initial outfits and back again? Or do I have to repurchase the DLC outfit from Arc Sophia's Armor shop everytime?

...and just a question...I'm currently stuck at the second Hallow area. Been walking all around ant tunnels but can't seem to find a path to the location to unlock the next part of the Hallow story (supposed to explore the floating ruins with Philla). Am I wandering around the wrong area?=/

As Ive mentioned before am not sure if you can max out the skill points as there seems to be more skills than ability to earn points from skilling up weapons, so with that in mind dont go blowing all your points without thought put into what you might want haha.

If you havent triggered an even then yes you are most likely in the wrong area. I think you can check with Philia by talking to her to find out what you are supposed to do next.

Lol, I asked that yesterday as well, and I checked to see if the option to switch back to the given DLC costume existed or not...and the answer seems to be negative...meaning if you so much as accidentally switch to the Initial or any of the 3 extra costume/armor sets you will have to plonk down 3m for a replacement wedding dress. :(

NesFe

The thing is there will be times when you will need all the damage output possible as your sword skills or EXP supply wont make it in time, therefore DPS though is also good to consider. But generally its the simple idea of higher DPS = good so not really that much thought needs to be put into it lol. Esp if you are with a slower weapon.

Yeah, I was arrogant lol. At the time of the comment, I hadn't been to the Hollow area at all. I was just clearing floor levels with ease. Now, that I ran into a dungeon in the Hollow area and got owned by 4 lv126 monsters, I can see how one might run out of SP.

Is there any way, you can run away from battle once you hit an enemy ? The second time just before dying, I used a teleport crystal ^^ Is that the only way ?

Parakeetman

Yeah, I was arrogant lol. At the time of the comment, I hadn't been to the Hollow area at all. I was just clearing floor levels with ease. Now, that I ran into a dungeon in the Hollow area and got owned by 4 lv126 monsters, I can see how one might run out of SP.

Is there any way, you can run away from battle once you hit an enemy ? The second time just before dying, I used a teleport crystal ^^ Is that the only way ?

I cant remember what the button combination is but it has to do with switching targets with the directional key pad then pressing X to disengage from the fight. The enemies will still chase you for a while though so beware about that.

Yeah the difficulty level between the hollow area vs ascending levels in aincrad is just 2 different things lol.

In the hollow area:
The second one to be more specific. I just found the way that has a big symbol with Phillia, and a dragon appears. I have no idea where to go, I feel live explored quite a bit and still haven't managed to find the right spot to trigger the and event to happen...
Back to Aincrad for now lol.
EDIT: Just found a stupidly easy solution for when you are stuck in the Hollow Area:
checking the Hollow map for an exclamation mark.
So embarrassingly obvious.

Just reached Floor 100 while totally ignoring the Hollow Area (still at the second area for that). It's really easy till Floor 98 where there is a difficulty spike, mainly because of the traps and the NM Bosses which are like Level 128-130...really different from Floor 97. Then again, it is the last three floors...

I'm just gonna stop here and progress the Hollow Area arcs now before I go back and clear Floor 100.

Oh, and I've gotten all the Last Attacking Bonus for 76-99 and I don't see the (get all Last Attacking Bonus) trophy pop up (and supposedly floor 100 does not have any last attacking bonus boss?)....does Hollow Area have any bosses which works similarly to the Floor bosses in regards to Last Attacking bonus?

Sitrus

Just reached Floor 100 while totally ignoring the Hollow Area (still at the second area for that). It's really easy till Floor 98 where there is a difficulty spike, mainly because of the traps and the NM Bosses which are like Level 128-130...really different from Floor 97. Then again, it is the last three floors...

I'm just gonna stop here and progress the Hollow Area arcs now before I go back and clear Floor 100.

Oh, and I've gotten all the Last Attacking Bonus for 76-99 and I don't see the (get all Last Attacking Bonus) trophy pop up (and supposedly floor 100 does not have any last attacking bonus boss?)....does Hollow Area have any bosses which works similarly to the Floor bosses in regards to Last Attacking bonus?

Actually, floor 100 does have a last boss :p

Yeah I know Floor 100 is the last boss but I'm not sure if there's any Last Attacking Bonus to be gained from it (since it is after all the last stage).

EDIT: Checked a JP Wiki and there's no bonus from gaining the last attack for Floor 100.

Parakeetman

Yeah I know Floor 100 is the last boss but I'm not sure if there's any Last Attacking Bonus to be gained from it (since it is after all the last stage).

EDIT: Checked a JP Wiki and there's no bonus from gaining the last attack for Floor 100.

Dont think the hollow area bosses have a last attack bonus. At least I dont recall it having one lol.

Sitrus

No, there is a last attack boss there is what I meant ;p The bonus is that it's the last one for the trophy.

Parakeetman

I wonder if it's going to be announced at Anime Expo? Bandai Namco Games is probably going to be there...

I assumed that the date was sometime in July.

Its odd that for the most exposure would have been during the E3 considering how many members of the media where there. Even if it was something short, am sure a lot folks in the US are left wondering why it was not announced / were expecting to have it announced there. Odd move by bannam.

TUSR

Banned
Its odd that for the most exposure would have been during the E3 considering how many members of the media where there. Even if it was something short, am sure a lot folks in the US are left wondering why it was not announced / were expecting to have it announced there. Odd move by bannam.

Sounds like they don't have a proper ETA on a full translation.

Not to put more salt in the wound, but this game is the bees knees lol. I try to play something else, only to put it down so I can go level up my skills in SAO. I haven't been this hooked on a game in a while, I was actually starting to wonder if games just didn't do it anymore for me until this gem came in the mail. Can't remember putting this amount of time into a game and still enjoy it as much as I did when I got it. I hope that Bandai announces this game for the west soon, you all need to play this. It is the shit.

Parakeetman

Not to put more salt in the wound, but this game is the bees knees lol. I try to play something else, only to put it down so I can go level up my skills in SAO. I haven't been this hooked on a game in a while, I was actually starting to wonder if games just didn't do it anymore for me until this gem came in the mail. Can't remember putting this amount of time into a game and still enjoy it as much as I did when I got it. I hope that Bandai announces this game for the west soon, you all need to play this. It is the shit.

glad to hear you are really enjoying it! so been spending a lot of time then in the hollow zone i imagine?

glad to hear you are really enjoying it! so been spending a lot of time then in the hollow zone i imagine?
Pretty much, I dance between Aincrad and the Hollow area quite a lot. I feel like I just might sit down and breeze through Aincrad so I can really sink my teeth into the Hollow Area...
Also as a funny point, I remember many of you recommending the double handed axe for heavy damage? Well turns out that the single handed mace with a shield does the same, if not more dmg than the former for me! It has more dmgps too, it deals damage faster and the shield definitely makes a difference on my defence and vitality as well. It is also more accurate, specially when I buff myself up, and most skills under its tree do area damage (perfect for dealing with 3-4 enemies in one blow) which 80% of the time leave the enemy afflicted with a status ailment. I've been rolling with that quite a lot these days.

Parakeetman

Pretty much, I dance between Aincrad and the Hollow area quite a lot. I feel like I just might sit down and breeze through Aincrad so I can really sink my teeth into the Hollow Area...
Also as a funny point, I remember many of you recommending the double handed axe for heavy damage? Well turns out that the single handed mace with a shield does the same, if not more dmg than the former for me! It has more dmgps too, it deals damage faster and the shield definitely makes a difference on my defence and vitality as well. It is also more accurate, specially when I buff myself up, and most skills under its tree do area damage (perfect for dealing with 3-4 enemies in one blow) which 80% of the time leave the enemy afflicted with a status ailment. I've been rolling with that quite a lot these days.

For myself the 2h axe still is the go to weapon for pure damage esp if you go down the tree with it and get all the passive skills it has. Also for irritating groups of enemies it cuts them down pretty well with that wide arc swing skill it has.

The mace when I use it is mostly expecting a long fight and I would need to constantly stun lock something. I have a pretty good shield to use with it also.

The only problem that I have with the 2H Axe is how slow it is. I'm always switching weapons, not only to stack skill points, but to also keep things fresh. In Aincrad, since it is easy to breeze through it, I tend to use those peskier weapons (rapier or dagger? Ugh lol) along with my weakest waifu at that time, again just to keep things challenging and fresh. In the Hollow Area it's a different story lol. There I always use whatever my strongest equipment is, and even then sometimes I might get a "Dead" screen if I'm not too careful.

Parakeetman

The only problem that I have with the 2H Axe is how slow it is. I'm always switching weapons, not only to stack skill points, but to also keep things fresh. In Aincrad, since it is easy to breeze through it, I tend to use those peskier weapons (rapier or dagger? Ugh lol) along with my weakest waifu at that time, again just to keep things challenging and fresh. In the Hollow Area it's a different story lol. There I always use whatever my strongest equipment is, and even then sometimes I might get a "Dead" screen if I'm not too careful.

The 2h Axe basically its all sword skills with it for me and generally whatever is in my way isnt there very long lol. As long as the SP is flowing its constant 5 digit damage all over the place.

All of the weapons are situational which makes it interesting, so if you generally know what you will be going after helps a lot. Great for when you want to do efficient treasure runs. Like in that 100 floor dungeon using weapons that have a good area of effect attack is the best use of SP rather than fighting everything 1 on 1 with the sword skills causing a lot of unnecessary SP usage.

Did you get the katana unlocked yet? Its great for allowing your partner to do more damage with their sword skills due to the constant max risk level you can keep the enemy at with the sword skills. Since thats the main purpose of the katana is its risk raising skills. Even for your own attacks at times you can get some pretty insane damage numbers out. Thankfully most of the animations for it too dont take too long either.

I feel like I should be giving the scimitar more love to unlock it... Maybe I'll roll with that for a while. Those risk increasing skills do sound pretty neat...

Parakeetman

I feel like I should be giving the scimitar more love to unlock it... Maybe I'll roll with that for a while. Those risk increasing skills do sound pretty neat...

its an odd weapon with the sword skills it has available so might feel a bit like a slog while using it lol. but personally the katana is one of the weapons i main.

i cant remember in the hollow area where a good curved blade drops. but there is one and you see me using it in one of the recorded vids

Protag

Banned
Gaffers in this thread, im pretty interested in getting this.

Can i get a non-anime fan to answer if this is legitimately good?

Also, would i have needed to watch the anime to fully enjoy this?

Mrggg it is a slog, that's why I didn't use it much lol!

Well... There's only a handful of us here with the game, and those who have it had to import it. I don't think anyone who isn't a fan would pay this much money for the game if they hadn't watched the show :p
And I would say yes, until episode 14. That's exactly where this game picks up (and takes a different route from the anime). Hope this helps!

Parakeetman

yes its a good game design and content wise, should get pretty decent playtime out of it.

would suggest watching the anime to at least ep 14 as mentioned in the OT QA section. or else you will have no idea whats going on or whos who as this game takes place from ep 14. you will enjoy it more so take the tine out to watch the show

I'm a bit LTTP here but I have only played this today since I now have a hectic school / work schedule. So far, so good. My only problem with the game were the day 1 dlcs though. Since I can only claim them through a SG / SEA account so I have to create a new one for them to work.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
i know that thread is about hollow fragment, but in europe we get Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment HD with the game hollow fragment.

How is infinity moment ^_^?

i know that thread is about hollow fragment, but in europe we get Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment HD with the game hollow fragment.

How is infinity moment ^_^?
That was I believe confirmed to be a mistake in communication from Bamco. Hollow Fragment contains Infinity Moment inside already in HD. The game itself contains two arcs that you can access at any time in the game via Teleporting. IM being set in Aincrad (the 75-100th floor quest with the characters from the show, takes place after episode 14) and Hollow Fragment in the Hollow Area (open world exploration with higher leveled enemies with a new character to the series). You are free to alternate between both storylines, and both could be considered two different games. You have like 30-50hrs for Aincrad and I believe around 20-30 for the Hollow Area. Then you have the supposed patch dropping in less than a month, that's supposed to add another 30hrs on top.
Yup, game is massive and I believe that they used that as a selling point.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That was I believe confirmed to be a mistake in communication from Banco. Hollow Fragment contains Infinity Moment inside already in HD. The game itself contains two arcs that you can access at any time in the game via Teleporting. IM being set in Aincrad (the 75-100th floor quest with the characters from the show, takes place after episode 14) and Hollow Fragment in the Hollow Area (open world exploration with higher leveled enemies with a new character to the series). You are free to alternate between both storylines, and both could be considered two different games. You have like 30-50hrs for Aincrad and I believe around 20-30 for the Hollow Area. Then you have the supposed patch dropping in less than a month, that's supposed to add another 30hrs on top.
Yup, game is massive and I believe that they used that as a selling point.

okay i understand, so everywhere you get both games..great so i could have bought the japanese version all along ._." but now i can wait..just started playing htoL#NiQ.

did they only make an "upscale" of infinity moment, or did they change the graphics to the same as hollow fragment?

thanks you :) looking forward to the game ^_^

okay i understand, so everywhere you get both games..great so i could have bought the japanese version all along ._." but now i can wait..just started playing htoL#NiQ.

did they only make an "upscale" of infinity moment, or did they change the graphics to the same as hollow fragment?

How is it?? Reminded me a lot of a dark child of light (child of darkness? Ahaha).

And Parakeet is more to answer this one since he played both, but from what I remember him saying, no. The controls were refined, gameplay isn't such a slow slog anymore (burst was added in, you can attack via Circle button while your burst bar is full, instead of just automatic attacks), some events are different, blah blah. Overall they made everything better. Then there's HF, so you are looking at an 80hr game + the 30hr patch coming up soon.

Parakeetman

the gameplay mechanics have undergone a massive rehaul making it far more user friendly than what it was with the psp version. hollow fragnent is more "advanced" looking so to speak as its areas designed with the vitas specs. the infinity moment part still goes by the original psp designs.

the whole screw up with the misinformation about an hd infinity moment being included was beyond stupid personally.

this game is as long as you make it with playtime. sure you can rush through the infinity moment stuff but you would be doing yourself a disservice to do that.

as mentioned ive wasted 40+ hrs just leveling and loot hunting in the hollow area. did advance some story bits to get to the new areas but most of the time was spent doing what i wanted lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How is it?? Reminded me a lot of a dark child of light (child of darkness? Ahaha).

it is everything the people on amazon.co.jp and famitsu said..the graphics and music is incredible good. really it is so atmospheric i have/had goose bumps himalaya size! and it is so beautiful.

but the touch controls are mediocre at best. sometimes, they react to late, so you die. it is just half a second, but yeah..

i hope they patch that, or make it possible to use the left/right analogue stick instead of the front and back touchpad.

but for 3000yen, which is about 21€..well it is worth the money. it will work until next week when i get freedom wars :)

and in july sao ^_^/

the gameplay mechanics have undergone a massive rehaul making it far more user friendly than what it was with the psp version. hollow fragnent is more "advanced" looking so to speak as its areas designed with the vitas specs. the infinity moment part still goes by the original psp designs.

thank you!
which game should i play first? it sounds like first level in infinity moment and then go to hollow fragment?

OK let's do this in order:

Parakeet, I am with you brother. I checked my clock and I'm at 30hrs. Still on floor 81/100 in Aincrad, 3 area in HF LOL.

Sesuadra, hmm I see. And FW? Wish I knew Japanese...

Canis, the one I have is the one you showed from the link, I'm on the move so I can't watch the video. However if its any help, the game has a reversible cover. The original one, is the one you see on the pages picture, the one in the back is blue (and the notably better one). Also, yes all VAs are in. Kirito doesn't talk much though, aside from a few lines. And when I say talk I mean voice dialog, he still "talks" but it's only text. VN style I guess.

Parakeetman

it is everything the people on amazon.co.jp and famitsu said..the graphics and music is incredible good. really it is so atmospheric i have/had goose bumps himalaya size! and it is so beautiful.

but the touch controls are mediocre at best. sometimes, they react to late, so you die. it is just half a second, but yeah..

i hope they patch that, or make it possible to use the left/right analogue stick instead of the front and back touchpad.

but for 3000yen, which is about 21€..well it is worth the money. it will work until next week when i get freedom wars :)

and in july sao ^_^/

thank you!
which game should i play first? it sounds like first level in infinity moment and then go to hollow fragment?

Actually its the other way around. You should level in the Hollow Area and infinity moment is just to unlock further shops and features in the story itself. Such as lizbeths upgrade shop for weapons. That and getting used to the game first. Since the hollow area will be filled with things stronger than you are lol.

Parakeetman

So I'm contemplating on importing the physical Asia version with the funny(?) Eng subs. I watched someone's unboxing who says she got it from Playasia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSSz63xnk4

The box art is a bit different on the Playasia page http://www.play-asia.com/sword-art-...hinese-english-sub-paOS-13-49-en-70-7jlr.html

Notably the huge SAO text.

Will I get the same copy as her if I order it from that product page?

Does the game have the VA from the anime?

Try waiting for one of the guys who have the asian version to respond. Quite possibly could be that Playasia was using different box art for all general purpose with the asian version. or whatever they got initially.

smenden18

Neo Member
Try waiting for one of the guys who have the asian version to respond. Quite possibly could be that Playasia was using different box art for all general purpose with the asian version. or whatever they got initially.

I bought the Asian version from Play-Asia. That's the same box art I got, and it isn't reversible.

Top Bottom