• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

v1perz53

I know. It's unfortunate.

I can't help but feel like I'm not actually buying anything when I buy digital, just the right to play it for a time. I'm sure its because I'm set in the old ways but it really bothers me.

I guess I can see this mentality, but you are actually getting more for your money in the short term with digital (if you do not intend to sell your game back in the short term). If you buy physical and the game is lost/stolen/broken, you are out of luck. If you buy digital, in the short term your Vita could be destroyed with a hammer, but you could still get a new one and redownload that game. So with digital, you own the right to play the game as long as PSN exists, to download it and play it as many times as you want. With physical you only own the game as long as you have access to the physical media the data is stored on. Obviously, physical allows you to sell back so there's that, and physical is guaranteed to work in the future while 10 years from now PSN may not exist for you to re-download digital, but digital actually gives you more "ownership" of the thing you paid for in the short term, not less.

I totally see why people like physical, and I love many of my games in a physical format, I just like to paint digital in a different light to see if maybe it helps thinking about it in a different way.

All that said, I am so excited about this game. Just re-watched the movie to get a refresher on characters, excited to see more of them. Also, I was a big MMO player in the past, so I very much enjoy MMO style combat in a single player game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
51dRHJw.gif

haha perfect

Bullza2o

I'm so close to getting this game because I have enough amazon credits. I'm getting excited by at the same time I really don't think I'll have enough time to play this. Oh well SAO2 got me into the series again recently!

kimtish

Neo Member
I watched a little bit of the show.

About 5 episodes in, its seems a little... Disjointed. Does the show pick up?

I've made it my mission to buy all the weeb Vita games so I guess I'm getting this.

Doombear

The game is designed around single player, the multiplayer is just a gimmick on top of it that doesn't make much sense anyway (everyone is Kirito).

This reminds me, I had another question. You can create your own character, face, hair etc, but all of the cutscenes, the battle scenes, the spells/buffs and Switches all show Kirito and not the character you create. Is it strange for those of you that have created a custom character? Should I just keep Kirito or is it not weird at all? Seems like it would be weird.

Phlebas

Banned
Thanks, have like 2.8gb left right now. Time to figure out what to delete. They need to bring the 64gb stick over and price it like $60. >_>

Are there black Friday deals for the memory cards?

I'd go for the 64gb stick if it was priced a bit cheaper.

Stuart444

This reminds me, I had another question. You can create your own character, face, hair etc, but all of the cutscenes, the battle scenes, the spells/buffs and Switches all show Kirito and not the character you create. Is it strange for those of you that have created a custom character? Should I just keep Kirito or is it not weird at all? Seems like it would be weird.

The only time you see default/normal Kirito is during FMV-style cutscenes or CGs that show Kirito (which is just a few really). Besides that, your looking at your custom-styled Kirito (aka 90% of the game)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The only time you see default/normal Kirito is during FMV-style cutscenes or CGs that show Kirito (which is just a few really). Besides that, your looking at your custom-styled Kirito (aka 90% of the game)
I'm basically playing as default Kirito because of that. Also as far as I'm concerned this is a better continuation than the canon.

Parakeetman

its not too bad since from the start was not expecting my character to be shown and the info that everyone will refer to you as kirito was also known.

btw will have to add you to the special thanks section for the hilarious psncard edit which fits perfectly haha

Parakeetman

The game is designed around single player, the multiplayer is just a gimmick on top of it that doesn't make much sense anyway (everyone is Kirito).

who said it had to make any sense considering that the mp part is not a part of the story itself.

mp is far more than a gimmick considering its quite well done with the fact you actually get to bring your AI partners around with you and for those who dont have access to others with the game can play using the AI partners who retain levels and you get to keep any loot from the adhoc or sp mp mode.

Arthos

I haven't been this hyped for a game since probably SMT IV last year.

Question for those that have played it: When does Sinon become an AI partner? Is it early in the game?

ramyeon

Would love to know how much they're charging for this in Australia, we always seem to find out last. Price will be important for me with this one after finding out that the localisation is so janky.

Parakeetman

I haven't been this hyped for a game since probably SMT IV last year.

Question for those that have played it: When does Sinon become an AI partner? Is it early in the game?

pretty much possible from the get go. reason being that this game compressed a bunch of stuff from the original infinity moment so you pretty much start out with everyone for the most part and get little scenes that add how they got there.

Doombear

Thanks for the answers on Character creation/Kirito toon. I think I may just keep it canon myself. I JUST NOW finished the last episode in season 1. My daughter and I loved it. I get that generally people like the second half a bit less, I can see why. That said I still thought it was a great season overall. I can't wait to start the game tomorrow, and I can't wait to start SAO2 later as well! I am dragging my Vita to work with me, and I will be taxing that ol office Wi Fi to download all 3+ gigs and play the shit out of it on my commute home =)

btw will have to add you to the special thanks section for the hilarious psncard edit which fits perfectly haha

Awesome, it was my pleasure. I am really liking the hype that this game is getting, especially over the weekend and today. I hope it does well, I hope that the Vita love train keeps pluggin along.

naeS

Thanks for the answers on Character creation/Kirito toon. I think I may just keep it canon myself. I JUST NOW finished the last episode in season 1. My daughter and I loved it. I get that generally people like the second half a bit less, I can see why. That said I still thought it was a great season overall. I can't wait to start the game tomorrow, and I can't wait to start SAO2 later as well! I am dragging my Vita to work with me, and I will be taxing that ol office Wi Fi to download all 3+ gigs and play the shit out of it on my commute home =)

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was awesome too. Season 2 has been great too, can't wait for the next episode.

And good idea with the office WiFi, my job has a 100Mbps connection. Might have to use that, but I think the ports to connect to the server are blocked, but I'm in IT so I could get away with making some changes for 10 minutes haha.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
For me episode 25 and that
tentacle
episode was what I didn't like about part 2. Really really don't like that kind of stuff.

Kind of surprised you were able to watch it with your daughter actually.

Parakeetman

Awesome, it was my pleasure. I am really liking the hype that this game is getting, especially over the weekend and today. I hope it does well, I hope that the Vita love train keeps pluggin along.

seeing how the vita is a little jrpg machine this is most def one game that should be in any SAO jrpg fans library as its quite unique and most def get your $$$ worth

Phlebas

Banned
Ugh, this game has the same shit translation as the Asian version? I might have to wait to see how bad it is before buying it now.

Hmm I haven't seen this sourced anywhere with actual proof with side by side screenshots.

Just one poster saying its the same because they saw it on a friends review copy.

ramyeon

Hmm I haven't seen this sourced anywhere with actual proof with side by side screenshots.

Just one poster saying its the same because they saw it on a friends review copy.
It's not exactly the same as the Asian version, some things are fixed up. But people with review copies have confirmed that there are significant amounts of errors in the translation. They obviously used the Asian version's translation as a base and edited that, which is always a bad idea. Translating from a translation guarantees that any nuance lost in the original translation stays lost.

Parakeetman

It's not exactly the same as the Asian version, some things are fixed up. But people with review copies have confirmed that there are significant amounts of errors in the translation. They obviously used the Asian version's translation as a base and edited that, which is always a bad idea. Translating from a translation guarantees that any nuance lost in the original translation stays lost.

seriously bad idea if thats the case as would cause more work in the end by starting with a dirty master text stuffing it in due to schedule issues then trying to get fixes in after which usually does not work production wise. seeing how low ball they have been going with game promotion, english site is engrish does not give me high confidence they have a high budget for production which means less time to test ,find, implement and test fixes. on top of having someone proper to do a full scrub of the text.

kaiyo

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

And we've had other people, myself included, saying it's not the same before this random person showed up. It's based off of the asian script judging by its similarities but not without changes

seriously bad idea if thats the case as would cause more work in the end by starting with a dirty master text stuffing it in due to schedule issues then trying to get fixes in after which usually does not work production wise. seeing how low ball they have been going with game promotion, english site is engrish does not give me high confidence they have a high budget for production which means lesd time to test ,find, implement and test fixes. on top of having someone proper to do a full scrub of the text.

Considering there's garbage punctuation often times, this would be a fair assessment. No one proofread this for sure.

baekshi

Banned
If you use prepaid cards you never get charged with tax. I'm from California and bought many games from PSN using only prepaid cards and that has been the case for me every time

Missouri here, and I use my debit card to buy stuff and there is never tax.

Again, depends on the states or actually depends on the zip code you put on PSN.

If you put a zip from my place (NY), you'll get taxed. Prepaid cards or not.

Do I need to do anything special with it, or can I just insert and it works?
You just put it in, and it will work as long as you dont change accounts.

Parakeetman

makes me wonder how the system messages are as those would need to be proper or else they will catch on the TRC during submission.

also if there is a digital manual what kind of condition is that in text wise.

wonder if they have an agreement with sony about a real large text fix patch is coming with the content update in order to allow the game to pass submission in its current form. though really seems like more work than doing it right from the start.

with all of the behind the scenes technical pondering out of the way to all those interested in the game dont let it scare you away, as the game is damned rock solid.

And we've had other people, myself included, saying it's not the same before this random person showed up. It's based off of the asian script judging by its similarities but not without changes

Considering there's garbage punctuation often times, this would be a fair assessment. No one proofread this for sure.

Is it mostly just copy edit mistakes or does the grammar and wording read really awkwardly?

Oh good I was hoping this was the case.

Is it possible to transfer game saves between memory cards?

I don't want to start playing and not be able to transfer later.

I'm not too sure on it but aslong as you use the Content Manager software with your PC it should work! If you want to be totally sure just make a full backup of your current card and restore it on the other when you get it.

Parakeetman

Oh good I was hoping this was the case.

Is it possible to transfer game saves between memory cards?

I don't want to start playing and not be able to transfer later.

content manager or use ps+ just be careful when using content manager

Top Bottom