• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Okay, that makes sense.

My impressions before the patch:

After the patch (I haven't played for long, but still) the basic attack feels much faster and better, some of the skills still look terrible (slow animations) but I think they fixed some of them.
As for the slowdowns, fields have been improved, but the city is still laughably bad fps wise if you're unlucky enough to run into a group of NPCs. And please, don't give me the "it's a portable game, so fps are not important", since it's not a port from a stronger system or anything. Still, the game post-patch feels much better than before.

it still has similar technical issues to the psp one so its no real surprise.

At least the buff skill timing got fixed, like I mentioned yesterday. Pressing on a buff skill and having to wait till its animation was over, was such a drag. Now you can just string them all in quick succession.

Parakeetman

At least the buff skill timing got fixed, like I mentioned yesterday. Pressing on a buff skill and having to wait till it's animation was over was a drag. Now you can just string them all in quick succession.

it actually makes the game a lot easier, i had liked the crazy feeling of having to think when to pull off some in mid fight than being able to get off easier

LowParry

I don't really understand what you mean. But maybe this will answer your question, each Heroine specializes in a different weapon and each one has their own set of skills and stats. All skills fall under 3 categories, ATK, BUFF and DEF that you can switch by talking to them on the field. By issuing commands and saying "nice!" after they perform a skill under that category, you will be telling her that she did exactly what you wanted, therefore nurturing her AI making that skill more likely to occur in a given situation or when you issue that particular command.

Ah that's pretty cool. But what I mean is if you're sticking with one of the girls that you take out all the time, do you build a bond with each other that gives additional stats or skills? Get exclusive items as gifts? Things like that.

Phlebas

Banned
Grace Chen please.

51dRHJw.gif

darkwing

but isn't the patch mostly high level content, like raising the level cap from 200 to 250, I think getting your char to level 200 takes a long time

ramyeon

but isn't the patch mostly high level content, like raising the level cap from 200 to 250, I think getting your char to level 200 takes a long time
There's a lot of other improvements beyond the extra level content as well though, UI and system stuff that makes it a better game all round.

There's a lot of other improvements beyond the extra level content as well though, UI and system stuff that makes it a better game all round.

Maybe I'm missing some info, but wouldn't UI and system improvements be more appropriate for a day 1 patch for us rather than waiting a month for said improvements/mega content patch?

PewPewK

Maybe I'm missing some info, but wouldn't UI and system improvements be more appropriate for a day 1 patch for us rather than waiting a month for said improvements/mega content patch?

Yeah, but fuck day 1'ers, right?

I'll never get why games like these don't launch with massive released patches. I'm guessing it's logistical issues of having to remove content and other pieces from a new patch that aren't ready and localized yet, but to some degree it seems nonsensical to me.

I'm guessing a patch like this is delayed because they can't separate the bug fixes and UI improvements from the new content and since the new content isn't localized yet, we have to wait for it all to be done before we can get it.

MSMrRound

With more than 30 hours worth of content and more, it's a pretty big patch. They aren't going to be able to make it in time for the release.

Yeah, but fuck day 1'ers, right?

I'll never get why games like these don't launch with massive released patches. I'm guessing it's logistical issues of having to remove content and other pieces from a new patch that aren't ready and localized yet, but to some degree it seems nonsensical to me.

I'm guessing a patch like this is delayed because they can't separate the bug fixes and UI improvements from the new content and since the new content isn't localized yet, we have to wait for it all to be done before we can get it.

I have yet to buy a game that has day 1 "____" so I can't really can't make a fair judgement on that. What you mentioned sounds pretty reasonable for why we're waiting a month for the megaton

MSMrRound

Quite a few of us had no problems with playing the game and only getting the patch some two or three months later.

We fumbled around, tested the settings, laughed our ass off at "penetrations" and probably wandered around lost in the Bewildered Forest for more hours than we did like to count. It's still a pretty fun game.

Like we already said, there's more than enough content to last you until then, before you even start to scrap off the top of the barrel.

Patch is more for end-game content. UI still feel pretty much the same. You will still need to put in the hours to know the ins and outs. If you never try the vanilla, you can never tell the difference pre-patch and post-patch.

Honestly you guys are considered quite lucky to be getting it only 1 month later.

Please consider supporting it as first month sales are important to publishers. It's my own opinion but I always like to thank them for bringing niche titles over. Also, if you are planning to delay your purchase, tip: please don't forget about the limited time promotion for the several bonus DLC outfits that are on offer for free.

That Y-front shirt. Hnnnnng.

That's all.

RK128

Just watched the first half of season one and a bit of season two....why didn't I watch this show sooner, it is awesome :D!

The characters are really well done, the main character goes through some really messed up crap (man....the middle of season one just felt like a slap in the face for the poor guy X() and Asuna was a really great character in the first half of season one (didn't like what they did with her in the second half of S1;
she becomes the Princess Peach of the series and is abused by some mental case.....stings even more considering how powerful she was in the first half of the season :()
)

I really enjoyed watching most of the first season, so I really wonder what the Vita game is going to be like :D.

Mendrox

Just watched the first half of season one and a bit of season two....why didn't I watch this show sooner, it is awesome :D!

The characters are really well done, the main character goes through some really messed up crap (man....the middle of season one just felt like a slap in the face for the poor guy X() and Asuna was a really great character in the first half of season one (didn't like what they did with her in the second half of S1;
she becomes the Princess Peach of the series and is abused by some mental case.....stings even more considering how powerful she was in the first half of the season :()
)

I really enjoyed watching most of the first season, so I really wonder what the Vita game is going to be like :D.

Don't worry in the later half of Season 2 she could be awesome again... if they animate this arc first. We will see :)

RK128

Don't worry in the later half of Season 2 she could be awesome again... if they animate this arc first. We will see :)

Wait, so there isn't a long first season and Netflix just has the two seasons lumped into one?

....That is just stupid
considering how it takes place in a compeletly different game
:l.

From what you said, the makers of the show are re-visiting that part of the series and adding new bits to it? That sounds cool :D, the whole fary/flying concept in S2 is interesting, so that being used to make Asuna awesome again :).

ramyeon

Wait, so there isn't a long first season and Netflix just has the two seasons lumped into one?

....That is just stupid

From what you said, the makers of the show are re-visiting that part of the series and adding new bits to it? That sounds cool :D, the whole fary/flying concept in S2 is interesting, so that being used to make Asuna awesome again :).
The fairy game is the second half of season one. S1 covers Aincrad and ALfheim, S2 covers Gun Gale Online.

I believe there's another arc after the current GGO one that involves Asuna way more than Kirito but I haven't read the light novel so don't quote me on that.

Mendrox

....That is just stupid

One season in Japan consists of 13 episodes. Sword Art Onlines first Arc was from Episode 1 - 14, second arc till the end. The new series Sword Art Online II will do the same thing. So there will be another arc after the current one.

Edit: It could go either way. There are two possible arcs they could animate after GGO.

Parakeetman

folks wouldnt even know the difference regardless which why its pointless trying to play it up.

Parakeetman

Quite a few of us had no problems with playing the game and only getting the patch some two or three months later.

We fumbled around, tested the settings, laughed our ass off at "penetrations" and probably wandered around lost in the Bewildered Forest for more hours than we did like to count. It's still a pretty fun game.

Like we already said, there's more than enough content to last you until then, before you even start to scrap off the top of the barrel.

Patch is more for end-game content. UI still feel pretty much the same. You will still need to put in the hours to know the ins and outs. If you never try the vanilla, you can never tell the difference pre-patch and post-patch.

Honestly you guys are considered quite lucky to be getting it only 1 month later.

Please consider supporting it as first month sales are important to publishers. It's my own opinion but I always like to thank them for bringing niche titles over. Also, if you are planning to delay your purchase, tip: please don't forget about the limited time promotion for the several bonus DLC outfits that are on offer for free.

That Y-front shirt. Hnnnnng.

That's all.

listen to this post. anything else is chicken little bullshit as far as im concerned.

ramyeon

folks wouldnt even know the difference regardless which why its pointless trying to play it up.
Not trying to play it up, just saying that there are all around differences that make it valid for people to want to wait (The Hollow Area map for example looks so much better after the update since it shows how each area is connected to one another). And there's nothing wrong with not buying it day 1.

Parakeetman

the game is perfectly fine without it. dont listen to those trying to make it sound like its something essential from the start as it isnt. as mentioned before you folks who are not experienced with the title wouldnt know what the diffs with the changes are anyways.

games have production schedules, cant just go slapping in something that big mid production. which is why it is a separate entity just like for all the other regions.

seriously a month isnt that long of a wait.

Parakeetman

Not trying to play it up, just saying that there are all around differences that make it valid for people to want to wait (The Hollow Area map for example looks so much better after the update since it shows how each area is connected to one another). And there's nothing wrong with not buying it day 1.

you folks are lucky that the west is getting the content update patch considering what was originally said, so time to man up and pick up the game to show support during when the sales numbers count. two way street and all that.

ramyeon

you folks are lucky that the west is getting the content update patch considering what was originally said, so time to man up and pick up the game to show support during when the sales numbers count. two way street and all that.
Man up? Come on man, people will choose to spend their money however they want. Whether they get our money on day 1 or a month in when the patch launches doesn't change a whole lot. They're still getting our money and the numbers will still count.

Not to mention I never personally said I was waiting for the patch. I will buy it day 1 as long as the price in Australia is reasonable and the localisation isn't too janky.

Not sure what the attitude is about.. All I said was that the patch adds more than just late game content.

Parakeetman

Man up? Come on man, people will choose to spend their money however they want. Whether they get our money on day 1 or a month in when the patch launches doesn't change a whole lot. They're still getting our money and the numbers will still count.

Not to mention I never personally said I was waiting for the patch. I will buy it day 1 as long as the price in Australia is reasonable and the localisation isn't too janky.

Not sure what the attitude is about.. All I said was that the patch adds more than just late game content.

one good thing is that since some of the folks who have the asian ver will be getting the us one too should give a good idea of the quality if the text is since know thats what a lot of folks are concerned about. am curious too if they really did use the asian script as thats pretty unusual.

esp with this being a popular series in the west too you would think that bannam would be trying to get a decent localized version out in the first crack to prevent further work down the line.

really am hoping its not the case. wonder if the EU Eng version has their own text since remember isshak the EU CM saying the script was not going to be the same as the asian one.

though these days its not as common to split english up. back in the ps2 dev days there was a pal english and us english versions.

if it was using the asian english text then the only thing id imagine them doing hard passes on is all the TRC related text, which would explain why some early reports are sounding a bit off

Phlebas

Banned
one good thing is that since some of the folks who have the asian ver will be getting the us one too should give a good idea of the quality if the text is since know thats what a lot of folks are concerned about. am curious too if they really did use the asian script as thats pretty unusual

I could post some comparisons whenever Grace updates the store I guess

Disappointment.gif

ramyeon

one good thing is that since some of the folks who have the asian ver will be getting the us one too should give a good idea of the quality if the text is since know thats what a lot of folks are concerned about. am curious too if they really did use the asian script as thats pretty unusual
The biggest sign (Beyond the broken grammar) that tells me they used the Asian script as a base is that the US/EU version still uses those weird apostrophes like in this shot (Supposedly from the US/EU localisation):

No English font that I know of uses apostrophes like this, but it's something I commonly see when people use Asian fonts to type English, similarly with the Japanese style comma ”、”. I don't doubt that they've tried to go through and edit unnatural sounding phrases, but obviously a lot slipped through such as that image. It's just such a bad idea to use an already poor translation as a base, although if that is the case it has obviously been done to cut costs and save time.

Parakeetman

The biggest sign (Beyond the broken grammar) that tells me they used the Asian script as a base is that the US/EU version still uses those weird apostrophes like in this shot (Supposedly from the US/EU localisation):

No English font that I know of uses apostrophes like this, but it's something I commonly see when people use Asian fonts to type English, similarly with the Japanese style comma ”、”. I don't doubt that they've tried to go through and edit unnatural sounding phrases, but obviously a lot slipped through such as that image. It's just such a bad idea to use an already poor translation as a base, although if that is the case it has obviously been done to cut costs and save time.

hmmm am not familiar with fonts in asia but for japan do see what you mean bout the comma. if that really is the case know that some folks will not pick it up due to poor text being jarring which is understandable considering its all jp voiced folks will just have the text to go off of for their navigation through the story and it most def will effect their experience if lisbeth was talking like ralph wiggum for example.

the decision must def not have been made by the us side as in general it would know better and the kind of potential backlash which would follow with how the net and gamers are these days. but had to agree to it or else no game was the other choice.

trying to rewrite existing text just does not work as it never ends and you wind up doing more work. to make it worse it was already written with character limits in mind engrish or not therefore that puts on another headache said editor has to do on top of trying to make the script match.

ramyeon

Apparently BlueMaxima will be putting out his first impressions video of the US version within the next hour, video will be an hour long so we should be able to see first hand what the localisation is like.

Okay we finally arrived at the day dear GAF!

Definitely bringing my vita to work, I just can't stand the wait to download the game AFTER arriving home tonight.

This and Danganronpa in september will be my Vita fix

Phlebas

Banned
Apparently BlueMaxima will be putting out his first impressions video of the US version within the next hour, video will be an hour long so we should be able to see first hand what the localisation is like.
The time is at hand I guess, hopefully its not bad.

Parakeetman

Serious question who is that since i dont keep up with YT folks, fellow GAFfer? since if its a source that can be trusted will add it to the OT with you in the special thanks section

Top Bottom