• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
wtf is that, is the translation for the game really that bad? that is really hard to read. I'm actually reconsidering whether to buy it or not now....

Thankfully you will be spending more time adventuring and killing shit than trying to decipher text. And trust me when I say this games battle system is worth it and game content provided.

Ohnonono

wtf is that, is the translation for the game really that bad? that is really hard to read. I'm actually reconsidering whether to buy it or not now....

No. The translation of most of the game is not that bad imo. It is not good though. The core game itself completely makes up for it.

Jindrael

Banned
The translation is bad but not quite as bad as this review.
There are some sentences where you have to guess but those are far apart, the rest ist understandable.

The gameplay really makes up for it.

Doombear

I was an early defender, but I have to say the more I get into the Relationship Rank stuff there is some pretty abysmal translation in the ol bedroom.

That said? I am not really expecting epic conversations in those parts of the game and I am just grinding through them to hit Rank 5s. I barely pay attention as it is in those scenes. So let that be worth whatever it's worth to you.

I will say that the actual storyline conversations are, so far, quite understandable and I haven't seen too much there to complain about, hence my early dismissal of the bad translation comments.

matmanx1

So far I would call the English used in the game a solid C-. It's understandable, for the most part, but there are a lot of words spelled incorrectly and some flat out terrible grammar choices.

It's sub-par from a localization stand point, especially in 2014, but its far from unplayable and in some cases is actually adding to my enjoyment of the game. I'm pretty easy going in terms of that stuff simply because the gameplay and sheer amount of content is so good.

Unless you are OCD about grammar I wouldn't call the localization a reason to pass on what is otherwise a really fun experience.

FDC1

I finished watching the 1st arc so I finally started to play. I left the given road in the 1st mission and got my ass kicked lol. I will try to go for platinum. Do you confirm the the only deaths who matter for the "not on my watch" trophy are the ones against a boss? are we taling about all the bosses or only the ones on Aincrad's floors?

Any tips on unlocking costume? I been trying to unlock Asuna's buff costume, manage to get the sword skills to the edge of the graph but the other part of the buff graph won't move at all.

ramyeon

Any tips on unlocking costume? I been trying to unlock Asuna's buff costume, manage to get the sword skills to the edge of the graph but the other part of the buff graph won't move at all.
Command her to stun the enemy (L+D-pad Up) and praise that, that's probably the easiest Buff command to force. Do that once, then go to the next map to force it to cool down and repeat.

Doombear

Current Various Grindy Grind levels/progress:

All girls save Philia are Rank 5.
Have all 4 of Sinon's outfits, 3 of Streas, and 2 of Silica's and Philia's.
Skill Levels:
1000 for Sword, Scimitar, and Rapier
650 for Club, Dual, and 2 Hand
300ish for the rest (Katana is 140 because I stopped to get 2H up)

Level is 103-111 for everyone (I am 111)

Only cleared 76 and 77 =P

Cleared the first two 1k OSS Implements so I have 2 Skill Combos available. Probably going to clear a few floors then look for some better weapons and work on outfits some more. This game is addiction.

bobawesome

The translation is pretty lousy in spots but then again, a lot of the story isn't worth sitting through anyway. At least around the five hour point.

edit: Alright, saw the review. It's not quite *that* bad.

Mendrox

Yesterday I accomplished a few new things:

- played Hollow Forrest Multiplayer and got two new 1 Hand Swords! Yeah
- Leveled Strea and consider her my new waifu
- Also got her ATK and DEF costumes <3
- Did an event in the shop
- Did some Hollow exploring and killed 2 monsters 30 levels above my level with Strea (<3)
- Got some money
- Understand the system better than ever, it really is helpful to have played another MMORPG

I love this game. Cause of the Vita you can just jump in and have fun by doing stupid things, but the systems are so good. :)

Kane1345

i don't know about a new boss but it does unlock new hollow missions that offer greater challenge and greater reward

Well it opened up 3 new missions that had massive circles. The enemies in there could be considered bosses/mini bosses of sorts. I guess I was just expecting a purple circle to signify a boss. I'll grind it to rank 3 and see what happens :)

Mrcapcom

So im kinda lost I just got out of the hollow area and I have the two corrupted swords and a axe which sucks horribly.

Lisbeth just opened up her shop but everything she has I have to craft (?) and I have nothing what can I do to get new weapons or keep using the corrupted ones?

I also got to this one spot where it was like knights and every hit i did missed :-( I only get to play in quick bursts i feel like im forgetting something as far as where I should be going

matmanx1

I got Philia's Def outfit unlocked. It was probably the easiest one that I have done so far. I can't say that I am a fan of that particular outfit (it's basically a closed cap over a black bikini) but at least it's done.

I seriously need to look up the OSS stuff. I'm coming up on that mission in the Hollow Area and I can't say I really understand that system.

Parakeetman

So im kinda lost I just got out of the hollow area and I have the two corrupted swords and a axe which sucks horribly.

Lisbeth just opened up her shop but everything she has I have to craft (?) and I have nothing what can I do to get new weapons or keep using the corrupted ones?

I also got to this one spot where it was like knights and every hit i did missed :-( I only get to play in quick bursts i feel like im forgetting something as far as where I should be going

The crafting is more like "upgrading" your existing weapons by increasing the stats of a single selection granted you have the materials to allow for it. If you try to upgrade another stat when one already is upgraded you will lose the previous stats upgrade.

Ex. STR LV 3 --(replaced by)--> AGI LV 1 = Lost STR LV 3 / replaced by AGI LV 1

therefore you just wasted all resources that went into your STR LV 3 upgrade.

If you are not hitting something the chance is the difference in levels is too high. You need to pay attention to your lv vs the level of your target. You will need skills to increase your accuracy which can come from the rapier tree's battle skills.

Sorry cant help you if you are not keeping track of what you are doing unfortunately as we have no idea what you are doing in the game lol.

You need to go out and find loot in either Aincrad or Hollow Area. Considering it seems like you are unsure of what you are doing currently do not suggest going to the Hollow Area right away and hit up Aincrad first to get used to things again. If you want to get the most out of the game you cant play it just for a few minutes, as you need to put in some time first with the battle system to understand it. Without that you will not really be able to advance in the game truthfully.

Mrcapcom

The crafting is more like "upgrading" your existing weapons by increasing the stats of a single selection granted you have the materials to allow for it. If you try to upgrade another stat when one already is upgraded you will lose the previous stats upgrade.

Ex. STR LV 3 --(replaced by)--> AGI LV 1 = Lost STR LV 3 / replaced by AGI LV 1

therefore you just wasted all resources that went into your STR LV 3 upgrade.

If you are not hitting something the chance is the difference in levels is too high. You need to pay attention to your lv vs the level of your target. You will need skills to increase your accuracy which can come from the rapier tree's battle skills.

Sorry cant help you if you are not keeping track of what you are doing unfortunately as we have no idea what you are doing in the game lol.

You need to go out and find loot in either Aincrad or Hollow Area. Considering it seems like you are unsure of what you are doing currently do not suggest going to the Hollow Area right away and hit up Aincrad first to get used to things again. If you want to get the most out of the game you cant play it just for a few minutes, as you need to put in some time first with the battle system to understand it. Without that you will not really be able to advance in the game truthfully.

Thanks so much for the info. I meant as far as the tutorial for how to do things im super early in the game though I haven't done any missions or anything. I just got our of the hollow area and last thing I remember is meeting some girl with purple hair that Kritio didnt know and he guess that she has a very high hide ability and Lisbeth JUST opened the shop and thats it lol I can understand if that doesn't help.

Parakeetman

Thanks so much for the info. I meant as far as the tutorial for how to do things im super early in the game though I haven't done any missions or anything. I just got our of the hollow area and last thing I remember is meeting some girl with purple hair that Kritio didnt know and he guess that she has a very high hide ability and Lisbeth JUST opened the shop and thats it lol I can understand if that doesn't help.

Ok yeah you met Strea then. Shes the character who uses a 2H Sword. Take her along if you want a partner who can deal out big damage.

Basically just follow the story in Aincrad for a little while, till you get used to things. There should be some guy next to a billboard that you can talk to and get simple quests from.

Asides from that you still are pretty much at the start of the game, so still lots of time to learn things and what not. Also consult the digital manual as information is within it too. Not sure how the localization of it is though...

Jolt1030

Neo Member
:D finally got my account validated lol

Quick question I saw in an earlier post about equipping skills to equipment how does that work?!?

matmanx1

Quick question I saw in an earlier post about equipping skills to equipment how does that work?!?

I don't think you can, at least as far as I know. You can upgrade equipment and you have 8 slots for abilities that you can mix in buffs, passives, debuffs, weapon skills, etc. That's all I know of.

Doombear

Congrats! Welcome! Yeah, matman is right if you are talking about your own armor equipment. Different sets will have different stats/skills of course but upgrading/adding stats can only be done on weapons. If you mean weapons, yes you can upgrade with different stones adding HIT, STR, DEX, etc.

If you are talking about Passives? You need to find the one you want to equip in the Skill Tree press O on its path, then press O on the passive (the first one on the list) and it will inform you that you can only equip one Passive at a time, confirm to equip. You can switch passives at your leisure regardless of whether or not you are using the weapon type that it comes from.

The different outfits for you partners DO have different stats, but you won't be able to actually see those until the 1.03 update in September.

Mrcapcom

Ok yeah you met Strea then. Shes the character who uses a 2H Sword. Take her along if you want a partner who can deal out big damage.

Basically just follow the story in Aincrad for a little while, till you get used to things. There should be some guy next to a billboard that you can talk to and get simple quests from.

Asides from that you still are pretty much at the start of the game, so still lots of time to learn things and what not. Also consult the digital manual as information is within it too. Not sure how the localization of it is though...

If you want to easily beat down a boss, Strea is indeed your girl LOL. Her damage output is bonkers.

Sweet thanks for the info. When your talking to the girls on the bench etc is it like P4 where you have to do it by a certain time or you miss out or can I do that stuff later or like all at once.

FDC1

I finished watching the 1st arc so I finally started to play. I left the given road in the 1st mission and got my ass kicked lol. I will try to go for platinum. Do you confirm the the only deaths who matter for the "not on my watch" trophy are the ones against a boss? are we taling about all the bosses or only the ones on Aincrad's floors?

I auto-quote myself, hoping for an answer. Thanks in advance.

ramyeon

Different Sword Skills take their damage output from different stats so you can equip different configurations of equipment to Sword Skills so that it switches on the fly when you use them to maximise your damage output.

To edit these press L and R, choose the sword skill and press select.
I auto-quote myself, hoping for an answer. Thanks in advance.
Correct, only floor bosses where you fight with a raid party.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone past floor 90, question about Strea

So it's been said that you should level her relationship to 5 before that point. Without specific spoilers, do you lose the ability to use her after that? If so I'm not going to bother getting her costumes since there doesn't seem to be a trophy tied to that

For anyone past floor 90, question about Strea

So it's been said that you should level her relationship to 5 before that point. Without specific spoilers, do you lose the ability to use her after that? If so I'm not going to bother getting her costumes since there doesn't seem to be a trophy tied to that

I'm on floor 98, currently browsing through the Hollow Area in hopes of beating that first lol.

To answer your question:
yes, and it's story related.
Do with this little info what you see fit now :p

Hrm that's disappointing (&#12541;´&#969;`)

I didn't bother too much with the dating aspect of the game, other than with Sinon. Cuz she the best girl.

LOL. That and having too much fun with the actual monster slaying, and exploring the maps and what not. The dating was just too tedious.

Aru

I didn't bother too much with the dating aspect of the game, other than with Sinon. Cuz she the best girl.

LOL. That and having too much fun with the actual monster slaying, and exploring the maps and what not. The dating was just too tedious.

Yeah every girl just reacts the same, it's boring. It's like they didn't take their personality into account.
I hope they play some VN/Dating Sims/Persona games and take inspiration from those for the sequel :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I meant more about
putting in work to level her parameters and getting costumes amounting to nothing eventually if you don't get to use her anymore

Yeah every girl just reacts the same, it's boring. It's like they didn't take their personality into account.
I hope they play some VN/Dating Sims/Persona games and take inspiration from those for the sequel :p

The dating was more of an add-on, although there could be improvements, the focus was definitely on the gameplay.

Well, I meant more about
putting in work to level her parameters and getting costumes amounting to nothing eventually if you don't get to use her anymore

And just to be clear
I don't know if she comes back or not. I stopped progressing in Aincrad on floor 98, she leaves after floor 95 I believe, but if anything she might come back before the last floor, I don't know. I want to beat the Hollow Area story before I finish Aincrad off, so someone that has actually beaten Aincrad already may be able to shed some light for you.

Mendrox

I am having the hardest time expanding Lisbeth's ATK graph...

Just go to Hollow Area and near a dungeon.

Go into the dungeon --> Press "Use Skill", let her use a ATK skill and praise the shit out of that cutie. After that wait a second and use "Switch" and praise her when she stands before you after switching (you did it right by seeing a text on the top of the display for praising her for that move).

Now you can just go out of the dungeon (don't kill the enemy) and go in again so that your cooldowns are good again --> Repeat

Do that about a 100 times and you have her ATK costume - easiest way

matmanx1

I am having the hardest time expanding Lisbeth's ATK graph...

Yeah Lizbeth's ATK outfit took me forever to unlock. I am glad I got that one out of the way first for her. Getting her to switch whenever possible and praising her for doing so is helpful but she's still going to have to use ATK skills and get praised for them before you will have enough of the graph filled.

I had something strange happen last night in the Hollow Area. I was grouping with Philia and clearing one of the temple like structures in the Sea of Trees and the next thing I know Philia's weapon had changed. It was still a dagger/short sword type but it was not the sword breaker she started with. It's a curved blade with a completely different hilt and handle.

Has anyone else had one of the girls randomly change their weapon?

Parakeetman

Yeah Lizbeth's ATK outfit took me forever to unlock. I am glad I got that one out of the way first for her. Getting her to switch whenever possible and praising her for doing so is helpful but she's still going to have to use ATK skills and get praised for them before you will have enough of the graph filled.

I had something strange happen last night in the Hollow Area. I was grouping with Philia and clearing one of the temple like structures in the Sea of Trees and the next thing I know Philia's weapon had changed. It was still a dagger/short sword type but it was not the sword breaker she started with. It's a curved blade with a completely different hilt and handle.

Has anyone else had one of the girls randomly change their weapon?

Nope never seen that happen before. How odd. Did you give her anything else before?

Nope never seen that happen before. How odd. Did you give her anything else before?

Guess it's a Vanilla SAO bug. I don't think I ever had that happen prior to 1.03 (aka 1.05), and I just briefly checked with a few of the girls in town and Phillia and they all have the equipment that I gave them. Pretty weird.

vintuc

Neo Member
Do you need to have relationship rank 5 to have the girls reset battle mechanics? Unlocked Strea's buff costume talked to her hoping to change things about battle tactics, got a message "Strea's battle tactics have changed". But all it has seemed to do is no longer show the buff skill icon whenever she buffs during battle.

Doombear

Just checked as I am cruising around the second Hollow Area now (holy shit it is gorgeous, and also dangerous, tip... don't fall off the cliffs!) and my Philia has the same dagger as yours. I assumed it had to do with the fact that her first mission, she requests upgrade materials. I assumed that was the weapon she wanted them for =)

matmanx1

Just checked as I am cruising around the second Hollow Area now (holy shit it is gorgeous, and also dangerous, tip... don't fall off the cliffs!) and my Philia has the same dagger as yours. I assumed it had to do with the fact that her first mission, she requests upgrade materials. I assumed that was the weapon she wanted them for =)

Ahh, that would make sense. Interesting.

Jindrael

Banned
Does anybody know what triggers that your partner starts using their "unique skils"?

Philia just recently started using "Darkness Carnival" (not sure on the name) and it's definitely a Sword Skill I can't learn, everytime she uses it it even changes camera.

Never seen it with the other girls.

Top Bottom