• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ramyeon

My account finally got activated so I guess I should ask about this before purchasing it.

I've been meaning to get this game and I see that the NA version is finally released which is great. The problem is, I like getting physical copies. :(

Is that Chinese version, the one where it also has English subtitles/text very similar in the text for the NA version or is the NA much superior for English?

I don't mind just getting the digital version if that's the superior version but I prefer physical copies usually. XD
The localisation is far from perfect but it is better than the Asian Version from what I've seen.
i think its the 2nd hollow area you find a better one.
Great! That's where I plan to go next :D

JNA

Banned
The localisation is far from perfect but it is better than the Asian Version from what I've seen.

Oh that's good. Is there a big enough difference in the NA version translation compared to the Asian version?

(Then just watch this game sell well enough where they suddenly come out with a retail version of the game and I just cry. XD)

ramyeon

Oh that's good. Is there a big enough difference in the NA version translation compared to the Asian version?

(Then just watch this game sell well enough where they suddenly come out with a retail version of the game and I just cry. XD)
Not as big as there should have been unfortunately :( but it's still a bit better, and it is good to support niche localizations like this! I just hope next time they put in a bit more effort since they've seen this sell pretty decently.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Great! That's where I plan to go next :D

you should find the 2nd area quite different. than the first.

the katana you can find i think is the same one you see me using in that ant vid of mine.

ramyeon

you should find the 2nd area quite different. than the first.

the katana you can find i think is the same one you see me using in that ant vid of mine.
Didn't see that video, do you have a link?

I do hope there are some cool looking katana, they're all pretty minimalist from what I've seen so far. Definitely not as flashy as the other blades.

JNA

Banned
Not as big as there should have been unfortunately :( but it's still a bit better, and it is good to support niche localizations like this! I just hope next time they put in a bit more effort since they've seen this sell pretty decently.

Any word on how well the game is selling so far? Whenever I go on Gamefaqs, it's still the number 1 most viewed board at the moment. I'm not basing sales numbers on that little detail obviously but for a niche total to be talked about that much has to indicate something right? XD

ramyeon

Any word on how well the game is selling so far? Whenever I go on Gamefaqs, it's still the number 1 most viewed board at the moment. I'm not basing sales numbers on that little detail obviously but for a niche total to be talked about that much has to indicate something right? XD
I haven't seen any numbers on sales but there are a tonne of reviews for it on the PSN store compared to other games apparently. And you need to own the game to review so that's a good sign!

PewPewK

My account finally got activated so I guess I should ask about this before purchasing it.

I've been meaning to get this game and I see that the NA version is finally released which is great. The problem is, I like getting physical copies. :(

Is that Chinese version, the one where it also has English subtitles/text very similar in the text for the NA version or is the NA much superior for English?

I don't mind just getting the digital version if that's the superior version but I prefer physical copies usually. XD

Similar, but the NA version is definitely improved from what I've seen. Not that the NA version is perfect. They're both actually shit, but it's a slightly better shit.

From what I've seen and what I've read, I'd give the Asian Ver. a D and the NA Ver. a C+. Up to you to determine if that's worth it. I'd vastly have preferred a physical copy, but I downloaded it regardless (which is a hassle because I have to format my Vita to get off my JP account).

JNA

Banned
I haven't seen any numbers on sales but there are a tonne of reviews for it on the PSN store compared to other games apparently. And you need to own the game to review so that's a good sign!

Ah good to know. :D I'll be one of those people very soon once I get my next paycheck in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help. :)

Parakeetman

Anyone know where to get the katana from that video? I need a better katana... current one is shit.

thats my vid. am pretty sure it came from somewhere in the 2nd hollow area.

though if you go deep into the first hollow area where even normal monsters can kill you there is some interesting loot to be had.

ramyeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

hope that works.

there is an ugly katana too. i gave it to kline lol
Nice! That Katana looks cool too, I like the black blade. Not a fan of the over the top ugly weapons, but all the katanas I have so far look so basic and pretty much all the same haha.
Ah good to know. :D I'll be one of those people very soon once I get my next paycheck in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help. :)
Cool, no worries! Welcome aboard! There's a bunch of knowledgeable people in this thread so don't hesitate to ask questions once you get the game! I know it was pretty overwhelming at first for me.

Ohnonono

I have unlocked some costumes, power leveled ol' lvl 53 Sinon and killed the first 2 floor bosses. Does anyone have a quick rundown of the best way to upgrade your gear/ smartest way? I know the Hollow Area apparently has better stuff then you will ever find in the tower but how about upgrading and all that stuff? Someone suggested playing the tower till level 90 before hitting up the Hollow Area so before that what is the best thing to do? Is it or crafting weapons worth doing of should you just keep what you find and use it till you decide to go to the Hollow Area? Also is it important to give the girls new weapons as well?

If the answer is just go to the Hollow Area and then go back to the tower after a bit that works too. In a game where the damage numbers are so high its hard to track progress lol.

Sadly yes, both scripts are funky. The English version might have the edge over the Asian one, but again, it is still a disappointingly weak localization from what I have seen.

Now since I own the Asian copy, I won't be a hypocrite and tell you to buy the US version to support the scene. You want physical? You have the money? Go with the import.

ramyeon

Man, after doing bits of the Hollow Area the Aincrad floor advancing stuff is super easy, even the NMs go down in a few hits. Makes me feel really powerful and then I get my ass handed to me by random groups of high level enemies in the Hollow Area lol.

Man, after doing bits of the Hollow Area the Aincrad floor advancing stuff is super easy, even the NMs go down in a few hits. Makes me feel really powerful and then I get my ass handed to me by random groups of high level enemies in the Hollow Area lol.

Things start getting interesting when you hit the 90th floor. Not just the designs and intricacies of the maps, but also the levels of the enemies. You will be finding those level 180 side quests around there as well. Toughest fights I've had in the entire game. Also you will see that the loot gets much, much better on those upper floors.

ramyeon

Things start getting interesting when you hit the 90th floor. Not just the designs and intricacies of the maps, but also the levels of the enemies. You will be finding those level 180 side quests around there as well. Toughest fights I've had in the entire game. Also you will see that the loot gets much, much better on those upper floors.
Nice, something to look forward to! Although I'm enjoying the lower floors too despite the lack of difficulty :)

darkwing

you might have a problem getting the game DLCs since the physical copy will be an Asian version

Nice, something to look forward to! Although I'm enjoying the lower floors too despite the lack of difficulty :)

Although the encounters might start being a little repetitive after a while, I recommend leveling up your weapons at this stage to give you more of a focus while you easily destroy everything in sight, get those sweet skills, unlock the weapon's potential for when you reach the higher leveled stuff, I'm telling you those lvl 180 are VERY unforgiving.

The level design only gets better as you go up as well, and that's something to look forward to. Things are changed up quite a bit and quite often between floors.

Ohnonono

Although the encounters might start being a little repetitive after a while, I recommend leveling up your weapons at this stage to give you more of a focus while you easily destroy everything in sight, get those sweet skills, unlock the weapon's potential for when you reach the higher leveled stuff, I'm telling you those lvl 180 are VERY unforgiving.

The level design only gets better as you go up as well, and that's something to look forward to. Things are changed up quite a bit and quite often between floors.

So should one ignore the hollow area up until floor 90? Or is it worth going in there and taking Philia around to get some better equips?

Parakeetman

So should one ignore the hollow area up until floor 90? Or is it worth going in there and taking Philia around to get some better equips?

Truthfully you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage if you ignore the hollow area as not only is it better exp but better loot too.

Why not do both :p that's what I did. You need to go up Aincrad anyway, in order to unlock the better upgrades that Liz gives you. And the Hollow Area, the major consensus is that it should be beaten before Aincrad, so just steadily do both.

matmanx1

I worked on a little bit of everything in the game this weekend. I got Asuna and Liz to level 4 relationship. Asuna now has her Def outfit unlocked and Liz has her Atk outfit unlocked.

On top of that I did all of floor 77 and got the last hit on the boss (took me 3 attempts to get the last hit) while working on Mace, Rapier and 2h Axe.

It was fun and fairly productive, I felt.

I think I will stick with this approach as I continue. Doing a little bit at a time of each thing will keep me from getting burned out on any one thing. One thing is for sure though, I consider this to be a really great game for an SAO nut like myself.

wrowa

Why would you want to support a localization like this? In order to encourage companies to use cheap Engrish localizations instead of investing into proper translations? I haven't played the game for more than two or three hours yet, but the amount of nonsensical sentences, typos and grammar errors are unbelievable. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a localization this bad. People used to complain about shoddy translations in the PSX era, but this is ten times worse.

Jindrael

Banned
Why would you want to support a localization like this? In order to encourage companies to use cheap Engrish localizations instead of investing into proper translations? I haven't played the game for more than two or three hours yet, but the amount of nonsensical sentences, typos and grammar errors are unbelievable. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a localization this bad. People used to complain about shoddy translations in the PSX era, but this is ten times worse.

I agree with you here but I feel really conflicted because of the platform.
Sure the localization is bad and not much budget was used to clean-up the asian localization (if at all) but I believe the game would have never made the jump to EU/US without the Asian bad translation.

They probably wouldn't have bothered to make a complete localization especially given the current state of the Vita.
I don't really know what the right way of handling this game is, I think I wouldn't have bought the game in this state if it was on PC or PS4...

Aru

Okay after 7 hours, some impressions:
- This localization might be the worst I've seen in a video game ever. Worst than FFVII... Sigh, it kinda breaks the charm.
- The dating system is weird... Coming from Persona, it's a bit disappointing. Not really the same, I know, but still.
- Graphics look okay.
- Music is pretty good.
- Can't really say much about the story, I'm only on floor 77.
- The battle system is nice but so far the enemies are so weak I don't even bother dodging/blocking. I'll leave the Hollow Area stuff for later because I don't want to make the Aincrad floors easier than they already are.

I still think it's a good game. I'm definitely a bit disappointed, as a fan of SAO and JRPG but it could be worse. I'm gonna play other games along this one since it's so long and repetitive. I hope it gets better.

Got it today on a whim, still need to download it but I'm quite pumped to begin rather soon!
Still don't know if I'm going for max relationship from the beginning or not. I'll see once I begin and get a bit familiar with the systems.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
If you need to wait till relationship level 5 to reset parameters, does that mean you have to wait till you can talk to Phillia to get more than one costume?

Ohnonono

If you need to wait till relationship level 5 to reset parameters, does that mean you have to wait till you can talk to Phillia to get more than one costume?

Just as a note, I have never had the actual graphs reset even at level 5. You can talk to them and influence what they are going to do, but it still takes them a while to actually start doing it. People who say they are getting costumes in 30 mins a piece I think are either exaggerating or have a strategy I have not picked up after watching every video. It at LEAST takes an hour to go from one outfit to another. Defense seems like the easiest to get because lots of the def actions aren't on long cool downs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just as a note, I have never had the actual graphs reset even at level 5. You can talk to them and influence what they are going to do, but it still takes them a while to actually start doing it. People who say they are getting costumes in 30 mins a piece I think are either exaggerating or have a strategy I have not picked up after watching every video. It at LEAST takes an hour to go from one outfit to another. Defense seems like the easiest to get because lots of the def actions aren't on long cool downs.
There's definitely an option to reset. I'm not sure if it requires level 5 though because the only one I've tried it with is Asuna, who's my only level 5. She asked if she should return to a previous fighting style iirc. It actually didn't reset all the way back the first time either and went back to the levels it was at before I started grinding for defense (full buff, low def/atk). Kept talking to her until the same option came up again and then it fully reset back to the original parameters with low everything.

Once I got her defense costume I used the same option to reset back to base stats and am working on attack now.

Jindrael

Banned
BTW is it normal that I just keep on exploring in the Hollow Area without doing the things Phillia wants from me?
I'm at 30 hours played and only have done the first Quest from Philia and the rest of the time I have been fighting super high level monster in the Hollow Area.

I got a Seal of Trials for completing the Cathedral with all the lvl 150 knights but don't really know for what it is, it just says "Testimony for Completing "Hall of Past Vows"".
And I defeated the Boss in the Hidden Arsenal :D

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
BTW is it normal that I just keep on exploring in the Hollow Area without doing the things Phillia wants from me?
I'm at 30 hours played and only have done the first Quest from Philia and the rest of the time I have been fighting super high level monster in the Hollow Area.

I got a Seal of Trials for completing the Cathedral with all the lvl 150 knights but don't really know for what it is, it just says "Testimony for Completing "Hall of Past Vows"".
Isn't that the fun part of the game, mindlessly exploring and fighting really tough enemies?

RK128

I agree with you here but I feel really conflicted because of the platform.
Sure the localization is bad and not much budget was used to clean-up the asian localization (if at all) but I believe the game would have never made the jump to EU/US without the Asian bad translation.

They probably wouldn't have bothered to make a complete localization especially given the current state of the Vita.
I don't really know what the right way of handling this game is, I think I wouldn't have bought the game in this state if it was on PC or PS4...

I agree with you; if there wasn't a base to work with (the Asian English-Sub version) we would have never got the game over here :(.

I think that considering how well this selling on NA PSN (so far...1,200+ high reviews on the store), I think Bamco sees that this IP sells on Vita :).

I think the sequel to this will have better localization. Firstly, there is a chance they will have on in mind while developing the JP version (I think the developers/publisher didn't even consider bringing this over to NA/EU; only made the Asian version to have some kind of English version out there), so they will have the dialog be more easy for translators to work with. Secondly, Bamco knows the game will do well on Vita (as NA PSN sold over 1,200+ copies :D), so they will put more money for the NA/EU localization for the sequel. Lastly, there is the chance this wont be a Vita exclusive. Think about it, they might make it multiplatform with PS3/3DS/PS4 (didn't Bamco have One Piece for PS3, Wii U and 3DS alongside Vita?), so they will defently make sure the translation is top notch (or at the very least solid).

Jindrael

Banned
Isn't that the fun part of the game, mindlessly exploring and fighting really tough enemies?

For me it really is but wasn't sure whether I'm the only one doing nothing to really progress in the "story"

I agree with you; if there wasn't a base to work with (the Asian English-Sub version) we would have never got the game over here :(.

I think that considering how well this selling on NA PSN (so far...1,200+ high reviews on the store), I think Bamco sees that this IP sells on Vita :).

I think the sequel to this will have better localization. Firstly, there is a chance they will have on in mind while developing the JP version (I think the developers/publisher didn't even consider bringing this over to NA/EU; only made the Asian version to have some kind of English version out there), so they will have the dialog be more easy for translators to work with. Secondly, Bamco knows the game will do well on Vita (as NA PSN sold over 1,200+ copies :D), so they will put more money for the NA/EU localization for the sequel. Lastly, there is the chance this wont be a Vita exclusive. Think about it, they might make it multiplatform with PS3/3DS/PS4 (didn't Bamco have One Piece for PS3, Wii U and 3DS alongside Vita?), so they will defently make sure the translation is top notch (or at the very least solid).

Yeah I guess so.
For me buying SAO felt a bit like buying the PC version of Dark Souls, I bought it in good faith for the future even though I knew that it is sub-par atm.
With Dark Souls I wasn't disappointed, Dark Souls II PC Edition delivered and that was what I was hoping.

Doombear

Just as a note, I have never had the actual graphs reset even at level 5. You can talk to them and influence what they are going to do, but it still takes them a while to actually start doing it.

There's definitely an option to reset.

Yeah, I have reset Strea's who was level 5 by talking to her until she mentioned being 'off track'. I talked to Philia about 300 times (ok more like 30) and that option never popped up. She is only Rank 3. I am pretty sure that reset text only comes up at Rank 5 as stated and it is a must have if you are looking to cut down on the time it takes.

I have also found it depends on the character as far as which is easiest to get. BUF was harder on Strea (until I just did the fighting near zone exits as suggested to reset Stun timer) than it was on Philia who almost always used a BUF weapon skill.

RK128

For me it really is but wasn't sure whether I'm the only one doing nothing to really progress in the "story"

From what I saw online of the Asian English-Subbed version, the story is progressed with "Events" that unlock as you clear the floor bosses. While there is a story (I think with Philla finding out why she is trapped in the Hallow Area and Strea trying to find something that is hurting SAO world (don't fully understand that :l)), the idea I'm getting is that the team is just 'cool' with living in SAO, so for the final stretch, they are just taking there time and enjoying the world around them.

In addition to that, apparently Asuna didn't make it clear to everyone that Kirato is married to her, so the side story is all the girls forcing the guy into akward and messed up situations to get closer to him XD! Granted, I don't think that is the case, but that is the idea I'm getting from watching the game online via Youtube.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have reset Strea's who was level 5 by talking to her until she mentioned being 'off track'. I talked to Philia about 300 times (ok more like 30) and that option never popped up. She is only Rank 3. I am pretty sure that reset text only comes up at Rank 5 as stated and it is a must have if you are looking to cut down on the time it takes.

I have also found it depends on the character as far as which is easiest to get. BUF was harder on Strea (until I just did the fighting near zone exits as suggested to reset Stun timer) than it was on Philia who almost always used a BUF weapon skill.
Are you able to level Phillia before she can get out of the hollow area?

Ohnonono

There's definitely an option to reset. I'm not sure if it requires level 5 though because the only one I've tried it with is Asuna, who's my only level 5. She asked if she should return to a previous fighting style iirc. It actually didn't reset all the way back the first time either and went back to the levels it was at before I started grinding for defense (full buff, low def/atk). Kept talking to her until the same option came up again and then it fully reset back to the original parameters with low everything.

Once I got her defense costume I used the same option to reset back to base stats and am working on attack now.

I have to figure out how to do this. I don't really mid it but its VERY hard to change tactics and then SLOWLY pull them into a new AI path. I have done it multiple times but man I would love to know the actual wording for the reset options.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Looked it up on a wiki and looks like you only need level 4 affection to unlock the parameter reset option. In the Japanese dialogue they'll ask if their actions are too one-sided. Not sure about the translated version.

Doombear

Are you able to level Phillia before she can get out of the hollow area?

Depends on what you mean by level, but yes, you can level her for Outfits sure. Just praise her desired actions like you do anyone else. You just can't reset her to base stats because... you cannot rank her for Relationship, that I know of, while she is in The Hollow.

Kensuke

I posted really negative impressions of the game a few days ago. Until that point I had only played in Aincrad for about 6 hours. Since then I switched to the Hollow Area and played that exclusively. After 12 hours of that I'm deep into the second area.

Man, this game is suddenly way better.

• There is way more open exploration.
  • Killing enemies 30-40 levels above you is pleasantly challenging.
  • Finding a chest is actually exciting, because unlike in Aincrad you can actually find a weapon that will be a massive upgrade.
  • Almost no dialogue. This is a plus, considering the translation and the fact that most events are stupid pandering fanservice.
It's still a bit mediocre though. There is just too much padding; pointless dead ends and endless clone chambers. Still, I was ready to give up on this game and now I find myself playing it regularly. I recommend skipping all of Aincrad.

ramyeon

I agree and I disagree. I think it's great that the game even came out here, period. I think people should definitely pick it up because it's a great game but they should be vocal (In a respectful way) about any dissatisfaction they have with Bamco regarding the localisation effort.
The graphs can be reset, and yes it only appears after reaching level 5 friendship. Once you reach level 5 a bunch of options start appearing in battle talk that weren't there before, including one about her movements being off track which resets her graphs straight away.

And no I was not exaggerating, I have unlocked the outfits in as little as 10-15 minutes each for characters whose graphs lean towards certain stats. Sure, some of them take ages depending on the initial starting point of the character but I never had any outfit take any longer than one hour to unlock. You can even check the timing of my posts in here when I unlocked one after another in less than half an hour if you don't believe me :p
Looked it up on a wiki and looks like you only need level 4 affection to unlock the parameter reset option. In the Japanese dialogue they'll ask if their actions are too one-sided. Not sure about the translated version.
Ah okay, I never had it appear for anyone except those at level 5 but that could just be coincidence seeing as it is really hard to get it to show up sometimes.

In the localisation they ask if their movements have gone off track.
I have to figure out how to do this. I don't really mid it but its VERY hard to change tactics and then SLOWLY pull them into a new AI path. I have done it multiple times but man I would love to know the actual wording for the reset options.
I'm sure I told you the wording of them before didn't I? :p seriously just keep talking to them about their tactics until you see the words "Off track" and agree to that one. It can take ages sometimes but it's not as hard as switching her bias towards a different stat.

It's normal since that's the most fun to be had! That said you'll want to move on with Philia's quests too since it opens new areas and because the bosses are really awesome!
--------

BTW I heard some people saying that if you have Philia in, for example, her buff outfit and then unlock and change to another outfit then you lose the option to change back to buff (Or whatever). Apparently this was a bug that was fixed in a minor patch released for the Asian version of the game. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Top Bottom