• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

maouvin

Any downside on going multiplayer with three other NPCs instead of just Kirito+someone else? Is the loot from the chests the same and all?

They're called Named Monsters in the JP version too lol

I think it's meant to indicate it's a unique powerful enemy as opposed to regular mobs, like "Siguard the Slime Tyrant" vs just a "Green Slime".

I wasn't taking shots at the localization (ahaha), I know they are NMs in Japan too, from watching Parakeets vids when he got his Japanese copy a couple of months back :p I call it Engrish because, yes, like you said they are powerful, more specific, and unique enemies. Named Monsters is kind of a silly name but I guess, just like many other games from Japan, they thought it would be... Idk more edgy to use English words in there? Ahaha.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Uh there you go. Funny cuz they are all named lol. Dat Engrish :p

basically NM has been used as a term in mmos for a while now. as nany others mentioned means named monster which generally means that there is loot to be found from killing it. may look like other monsters on the outside but stats wise its stronger.

the name is pretty much what it means a monster with a name, cant get any easier to understand than that lol

basically NM has been used as a term in mmos for a while now. as nany others mentioned means named monster which generally means that there is loot to be found from killing it. may look like other monsters on the outside but stats wise its stronger.

the name is pretty much what it means a monster with a name, cant get any easier to understand than that lol

Hmm makes sense then, MMO terminology, mystery solved.

Btw Parakeet have there been any news of a new patch for the game from there? I mean yes, 1.05 came out pretty recently and it has a ton to do, but the devs said that they were planning on making more of these updates. Leading up to it's launch they teased it, and even made a video showing it to the people. I was wondering if there had been any news on what's coming next

RK128

Any downside on going multiplayer with three other NPCs instead of just Kirito+someone else? Is the loot from the chests the same and all?

From what I saw of the Asian version online, the game still functions the same with AI Multiplayer; it just adds three more party members to the group.

The only major differences was the fact that you can't interact with the AI party at all (outside of giving them light commands? Not super sure :l). You can't boost your friendship points with them or give them armor/weapons, so they are locked in there normal stats until you cancel out of MP.

I think the foes get harder to fight (maybe they get a higher level :l?) but I don't think it effects loot drops from chest/foes.

Hope this helps :D. Though, I'm not sure if this really helps though (I don't even own the game sadly :().

Munkyspace

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NM was something that started in FFXI, which stood for Notorious Monster.

And then HNM/BCNM, etc. etc.

Doombear

That was my first experience with "NM". In FFXI. So I was always used to Notorious but have heard Named Monster as well for years. They are interchangeable in my MMOy brain.

Parakeetman

Hmm makes sense then, MMO terminology, mystery solved.

Btw Parakeet have there been any news of a new patch for the game from there? I mean yes, 1.05 came out pretty recently and it has a ton to do, but the devs said that they were planning on making more of these updates. Leading up to it's launch they teased it, and even made a video showing it to the people. I was wondering if there had been any news on what's coming next

nothing yet maybe tgs if bandai namco decide to talk about the game for whatever reason.

nothing yet maybe tgs if bandai namco decide to talk about the game for whatever reason.

I wonder for how long they will support this title until they move on to the sequel that they talked about. Maybe we'll see a ALO(pls no) or GGO game close to the eventual season 3 of the show (if they decide to animate the whole light novel series).

ramyeon

I wonder for how long they will support this title until they move on to the sequel that they talked about. Maybe we'll see a ALO(pls no) or GGO game close to the eventual season 3 of the show (if they decide to animate the whole light novel series).
I don't think there's anything inherently bad about ALO, just that the story arc set in that game kinda sucks. It could make a cool game though, dunno if I'd like a GGO game since it would only really make sense as an FPS or something.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about ALO, just that the story arc set in that game kinda sucks. It could make a cool game though, dunno if I'd like a GGO game since it would only really make sense as an FPS or something.

I had said before, I think GGO would work perfectly fine with the current engine from this game. Make it solely stat based, with a new parameter in there for RNG of attack that gives you more accuracy depending on distance and weapon type. Heck, parrying could still be in via
Kirito's light saber
. There could be grenades (stun grenades even), and different weapons. To make it even deeper they could even allow for mods on the weapons, as well as choosing the caliber (affecting the range and damage).

ramyeon

I had said before, I think GGO would work perfectly fine with the current engine from this game. Make it solely stat based, with a new parameter in there for RNG of attack that gives you more accuracy depending on distance and weapon type. Heck, parrying could still be in via
Kirito's light saber
. There could be grenades (stun grenades even), and different weapons. To make it even deeper they could even allow for mods on the weapons, as well as choosing the caliber (affecting the range and damage).
It could work but it'd play nothing like what it's portrayed as playing like in the novel and anime :p

Parakeetman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NM was something that started in FFXI, which stood for Notorious Monster.

And then HNM/BCNM, etc. etc.

before the retail version of the game came out NM stood for named monsters which was changed to Notorious Monster upon release.

Parakeetman

It could work but it'd play nothing like what it's portrayed as playing like in the novel and anime :p

it would be better than an attempt to make some sort of shooter which most def is not something japanese companies excel at for yhe most part.

if one wanted to keep things flashy something along the lines of end of eternity would work the best.

as i can only see it ending in tears if a shooter was to be made.

I am just throwing ideas out there obviously, it's all speculation. If anything they might even pull a Danganronpa and make a game set in between seasons, an SAO 1.5 so to speak, with the main characters as supporting characters instead or something like that. Who knows. I trust that whatever they make though, if it's anything like this one, it'll be a great game.

Parakeetman

if anything the most logical setting might be the brand new world forgot the name that combined alo and sao. similar to the side story that took place after the first season. that world would make the most sense and am sure they know how much pure alo is hated in general by the fans.

on top of that story bits can take place in the real world also the 2d dialog scenes.

ramyeon

it would be better than an attempt to make some sort of shooter which most def is not something japanese companies excel at for yhe most part.

if one wanted to keep things flashy something along the lines of end of eternity would work the best.

as i can only see it ending in tears if a shooter was to be made.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I don't want a shooter. I don't play shooters, they're not my thing. That's why I said ALO would be better suited for a sequel to this than GGO. There's lots of cool lore to work with in ALO as well that could be expanded beyond what we saw in the anime. I really liked the different factions and clans etc that appeared in ALO and how their abilities and appearances differed.

Parakeetman

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I don't want a shooter. I don't play shooters, they're not my thing. That's why I said ALO would be better suited for a sequel to this than GGO. There's lots of cool lore to work with in ALO as well that could be expanded beyond what we saw in the anime. I really liked the different factions and clans etc that appeared in ALO and how their abilities and appearances differed.

i suppose the hard part would be figuring out how to build the world, mechanics if flight becomes a main form of movement.

dont read the following below if you have not been to the second hollow area yet.

in the 2nd hollow area you will experience a tiny bit of that type of world map design though.

one thing it wouldbbring into play as a positive is actual combat against other players in the game. as alo seemed to be pvp centric over sao.

ramyeon

i suppose the hard part would be figuring out how to build the world, mechanics if flight becomes a main form of movement.

dont read the following below if you have not been to the second hollow area yet.

in the 2nd hollow area you will experience a tiny bit of that type of world map design though.

one thing it woukdbring into play as a positive is actual combat against other players in the game. as alo seemed to be pvp centric over sao.
Yeah the flight stuff could be a bit hard to pull off right, but it'd sure be interesting if they did. Totally agree that PVP stuff would be awesome since there wouldn't be the threat of killing the other person in real life haha.

Parakeetman

Yeah the flight stuff could be a bit hard to pull off right, but it'd sure be interesting if they did. Totally agree that PVP stuff would be awesome since there wouldn't be the threat of killing the other person in real life haha.

thats one thing the sao game was missing for the most part.

If we are talking PvP I think GGO would be king :p from what I have seen on the anime (did not read the novels) this world is very resemblant of Destiny. You have PvE, as well as PvP, iron banner style, in which stats matter (hence why
Sinon wanted to bring that sweet sniper with her to that tournament that they are on now
).

ramyeon

GGO as a world just seems so dull and boring to me compared to the colourful worlds of SAO and ALO. Magic and Swords appeals to me way more than Guns as well so that's probably a factor lol.

Sitrus

If the developers just started making this game, which of course is going to take some time, they may release it simultaneously with the 3rd season to get more sales. I have to confess that I rather like the setting for the Alicization arc, similar to Sao but not quite, also they both have towers to climb xD

RK128

If the developers just started making this game, which of course is going to take some time, they may release it simultaneously with the 3rd season to get more sales. I have to confess that I rather like the setting for the Alicization arc, similar to Sao but not quite, also they both have towers to climb xD

You know, that would be really interesting if they have the next game set during that arc :D.
I mean, you have quite literary a whole new world to play with ALONG with most of the main cast completely gone and Kirtaro all alone, trapped in the UnderWorld. It would be even more interesting if you play as Asuna in the real world and have her explore the Ocean Turtle and find out its secrets; what is REALLY going on, who is the one that really put Kiratrio in his situation, ect

Then again, that is very, very far off from now and you can't really use the S1 and S2 cast in the game world (as they aren't trapped in it). They could have it so Kitario and everyone he is fimialr with gets stuck in UnderWorld and they can only get out if they reach the top of the tower or have the cast enter the world on there own wills to help Kitaro out despite any risks it may have.

RK128

Just want to add, the AFO world could be great settings for a new game in this series :D.

With AFO, the only issue was the story within the second half of S1, not the world itself :l. If it started out with that world be a sort of 'treatment' the SAO players went to for gradually getting away from VRMMO's and the main cast of the first half of S1 + Sugo and her friends playing it, then the stories in that world could have been really great :D.
....But nope! Lets just make a really f***ed up story about how Kitaro has to save Asuna who is being treated by a doll by some prick :l. Also, lets add Sugo falling for Kitaro, you know, her brother XD! Gotta be interesting there :D.....
Just....come on man :l. The main cast goes to that world during S2, so why not just have the SAO:HF story contiune from that point with everyone from the game visiting that world due to wanting go to another VRMMO.

ramyeon

Oh man it's times like these that make me feel good. Took on the lv 140 NM Chaos Bone Emperor in Hidden Arsenal and it destroyed me once it started using "Blast" which takes off like 3/4 of your HP if you get stuck in it but that fight let me learn his patterns and the second time I took him on I beat him without getting hit by any of his attacks even once. Granted they were really easy to dodge since he broadcasts for so long before attacking lol.

Which leads to my question, what is the Jewel Temple Key that he dropped used for?

ramyeon

UGH. Had a raid party member die on the Floor 78 boss. What a pain in the ass, they got caught in one of his powered up Lumber Jack sweep attacks. How do I avoid this happening? You can't issue orders to them so is it just luck?

Edit: AGAIN? Seriously? She gets taken out as soon as she gets caught in one of the powered up attacks he does when he gets to around mid health. How can I avoid this happening?

Edit 2: Third time's a charm. Down in 3 minutes with 0 deaths and MVP and Last Attack. Just had to really hammer him with Sword Skills during the last half and I brought Strea since she hits like a tank. Made sure to destroy his arm every time it regenerated too. Btw the targeting is really weird sometimes, like it won't change targets to specific body parts often and sometimes when I fiddle with the targeting Kirito will just sheathe his weapon again.

Edit 3: Decided to do a bit of exploring in the second Hollow Area location. Stumbled into a place called the Hidden Treasury and found a room full of chests that were actually Mimics and... holy crap they hit hard. They swarmed on me and had me dead in seconds, scary stuff D:

Man this game is awesome. The only real MMORPG I played was Runescape back in '07 and man the same feeling I get beating bosses 20-40 higher level than me feels good.

The battle system is so damn fun, I been wondering around the Hollow Area for almost a day now lol. Are the DLC armors (wedding dress and etc) worth buying?

Sora_N

I'm having some problems with the first boss, I'm probably playing this game wrong lol.

I died twice already. Any tips?

Mendax

I'm having some problems with the first boss, I'm probably playing this game wrong lol.

I died twice already. Any tips?

what do you consider the first boss? The final boss of floor 76 or the final boss of the sea of trees? or a smaller boss along the way?

in any case your best choice is to go leveling in hollow area multiplayer, just clear temples, do hollow missions and kill NMs where you find them

edit: and gear up along the way by doing the above ^^

Sora_N

It's the bull horn monster thing, I think it's the first hollow area right in the beginning of the game lol. I dunno if I'm just too tired, just got home from vacation and bought the game immediately.

ramyeon

Oh man the floor boss of floor 80 was a bit frustrating with its spamming of paralysis inducing attacks. Trying to get the last hit and I almost had it stolen from me because of it. It's annoying that even though you tell everyone to stand back they resume attacking after about 10-20 seconds anyway lol.
It's the bull horn monster thing, I think it's the first hollow area right in the beginning of the game lol. I dunno if I'm just too tired, just got home from vacation and bought the game immediately.
Well that shouldn't be too hard, it's not really a boss it's still part of the tutorial. Unless you're fighting the wrong one (There's a few really high level orcs in that map that you probably won't be ready to face just yet). Make sure you're reading and understand the tutorials up until that point and you should really be fine, I can't remember him being an issue.

Ohnonono

I agree and I disagree. I think it's great that the game even came out here, period. I think people should definitely pick it up because it's a great game but they should be vocal (In a respectful way) about any dissatisfaction they have with Bamco regarding the localisation effort.

The graphs can be reset, and yes it only appears after reaching level 5 friendship. Once you reach level 5 a bunch of options start appearing in battle talk that weren't there before, including one about her movements being off track which resets her graphs straight away.

And no I was not exaggerating, I have unlocked the outfits in as little as 10-15 minutes each for characters whose graphs lean towards certain stats. Sure, some of them take ages depending on the initial starting point of the character but I never had any outfit take any longer than one hour to unlock. You can even check the timing of my posts in here when I unlocked one after another in less than half an hour if you don't believe me :p

Ah okay, I never had it appear for anyone except those at level 5 but that could just be coincidence seeing as it is really hard to get it to show up sometimes.

In the localisation they ask if their movements have gone off track.

I'm sure I told you the wording of them before didn't I? :p seriously just keep talking to them about their tactics until you see the words "Off track" and agree to that one. It can take ages sometimes but it's not as hard as switching her bias towards a different stat.

It's normal since that's the most fun to be had! That said you'll want to move on with Philia's quests too since it opens new areas and because the bosses are really awesome!
--------

BTW I heard some people saying that if you have Philia in, for example, her buff outfit and then unlock and change to another outfit then you lose the option to change back to buff (Or whatever). Apparently this was a bug that was fixed in a minor patch released for the Asian version of the game. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I will take all of this into account next time I am grinding a costume. I was not calling you out by any means :p.

I went to the Hollow Area with Philia last night and had a great time. It is WAY more MMO like, tons of OH SHIT WRONG ROOM moments, but very very fun. I did not have enough time to complete a quest or anything but just pushing through was fun.

I have a question about the implements system. Its pretty simple, if I am not mistaken its just actions that it wants you to take over and over again while out in the hollow area. Can you only work on one at a time though? It seems to be that way, but I am just making sure.

ramyeon

I will take all of this into account next time I am grinding a costume. I was not calling you out by any means :p.

I went to the Hollow Area with Philia last night and had a great time. It is WAY more MMO like, tons of OH SHIT WRONG ROOM moments, but very very fun. I did not have enough time to complete a quest or anything but just pushing through was fun.

I have a question about the implements system. Its pretty simple, if I am not mistaken its just actions that it wants you to take over and over again while out in the hollow area. Can you only work on one at a time though? It seems to be that way, but I am just making sure.
Yeah you can only work on one at a time and generally it has to be done within a Hollow Mission, some of them have further requirements like the enemy the action is done towards needs to be an NM or above a certain level etc.

Got to floor 81 and suddenly a crap load of event chains all started at once which had me going to places in the Hollow Area by myself, coming back and getting someone and going again lol.

I should say that the second Hollow area looks really fantastic, and the newly added monsters look so much better than the old ones. You can really tell, like the boss of the first area and the dragon I saw in the second area. Much better textures and animation.

Also seems like Sinon is finally getting her bow soon!

Jindrael

Banned
Well that shouldn't be too hard, it's not really a boss it's still part of the tutorial. Unless you're fighting the wrong one (There's a few really high level orcs in that map that you probably won't be ready to face just yet). Make sure you're reading and understand the tutorials up until that point and you should really be fine, I can't remember him being an issue.

Friend of mine bought the game the same day as me and was still stuck in the tutorial 4-5 hours later after asking him what he was doing.
He told me that he did defeat the minotaur after a few tries but the tutorial wouldn't end and he died afterwards to the next minotaur, turns out he was fighting the level 130 minotaur and lvl 140 NM minotaur in the area.

Well after I told him that those are the wrong ones he was pleasently surprised how easy the tutorial is. ;D

I should say that the second Hollow area looks really fantastic, and the newly added monsters look so much better than the old ones. You can really tell, like the boss of the first area and the dragon I saw in the second area. Much better textures and animation.

The first Hollow Area boss was great, I really liked the design.
And I have to agree the second Area looks a lot better than the first and I didn't even thought that the first one looked bad.

Kaname

Ok, finally started the game as well and I wanted to ask something.
I'm not sure if it's already been answered (hopefully not 1 page ago) but is there a New Game + option or anything of the sort after we beat the game?
I'm planning to play normally for my first run and then do another with a guide to get all the trophies etc, would that be viable?
I already missed the Last Attack bonus on the the first boss (LOL) so I know that one trophy is already lost but I'm wondering if something carries on trough different playthroughs or not :3

ramyeon

Friend of mine bought the game the same day as me and was still stuck in the tutorial 4-5 hours later after asking him what he was doing.
He told me that he did defeat the minotaur after a few tries but the tutorial wouldn't end and he died afterwards to the next minotaur, turns out he was fighting the level 130 minotaur and lvl 140 NM minotaur in the area.

Well after I told him that those are the wrong ones he was pleasently surprised how easy the tutorial is. ;D

The first Hollow Area boss was great, I really liked the design.
And I have to agree the second Area looks a lot better than the first and I didn't even thought that the first one looked bad.
Yeah the first Hollow Area boss was great! (Although it looked reaaaally similar to The Imprisoned from Skyward Sword imo) Such a marked difference from the Infinity Moment floor bosses with how animated they it was.
Ok, finally started the game as well and I wanted to ask something.
I'm not sure if it's already been answered (hopefully not 1 page ago) but is there a New Game + option or anything of the sort after we beat the game?
I'm planning to play normally for my first run and then do another with a guide to get all the trophies etc, would that be viable?
I already missed the Last Attack bonus on the the first boss (LOL) so I know that one trophy is already lost but I'm wondering if something carries on trough different playthroughs or not :3
Yep there is a New Game+ mode :)

Parakeetman

Yeah the first Hollow Area boss was great! (Although it looked reaaaally similar to The Imprisoned from Skyward Sword imo) Such a marked difference from the Infinity Moment floor bosses with how animated they it was.

Yep there is a New Game+ mode :)

That type of design is not all that uncommon. There are a lot of things if I bothered to waste time to pull up as examples that would out date Skyward Sword.

Ill give you one example of what the design is actually closer to than Skyward Sword.
OVA_Black_Dog.jpg

Dont exactly think a giant black mass with teeth = super special original design lol

Mendrox

OMG farming for the dresses is tedious... God damn it Strea. Her ATK Stat wont even move an inch after praising Meteor Fall, War Cry and Switching and praising. And there is always the ATK sign over her name... sometimes I press Good too early so it only praises her herself. Guess I have to wait a few seconds after she used the skills.

So far I only have Sinons complete costumes and I am going for my 2nd tier waifu Strea right now. I also finished the first Aincrad floor and I am lost in the Hollow Forest but I dont care so much cause I explore everything.

Man this game. I already played 15 hours and I have almost done nothing... but somehow I have? Strange.

ramyeon

That type of design is not all that uncommon. There are a lot of things if I bothered to waste time to pull up as examples that would out date Skyward Sword.

Ill give you one example of what the design is actually closer to than Skyward Sword.

Dont exactly think a giant black mass with teeth = super special original design lol
Oh yeah it just reminded me a lot of it, mostly because of the "seals" it had on it's hands which look really similar to the seal that was stuck in The Imprisoned's head.

Parakeetman

Oh yeah it just reminded me a lot of it, mostly because of the "seals" it had on it's hands which look really similar to the seal that was stuck in The Imprisoned's head.

Theres this one from Berserk that has chains all over it.

Kekkaishi had a wolf / dog type of monster with giant nails shoved through its body which sealed it in place. Same thing black shadow, fangs etc lol

old old vid of me kicking the shit out of it since was highly over leveled at the time. Im curious what the actual level of the first Hollow Area boss is, since its never displayed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZsmdVOZQSk&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ

hmm guide book didnt show levels either.

Meowtor

Gold Member
So took down a couple mid bosses, and just need to finish a quest for the first floor boss. Any tips for the upcoming fight? Also where the crap is the valley?

Ohnonono

OMG farming for the dresses is tedious... God damn it Strea. Her ATK Stat wont even move an inch after praising Meteor Fall, War Cry and Switching and praising. And there is always the ATK sign over her name... sometimes I press Good too early so it only praises her herself. Guess I have to wait a few seconds after she used the skills.

So far I only have Sinons complete costumes and I am going for my 2nd tier waifu Strea right now. I also finished the first Aincrad floor and I am lost in the Hollow Forest but I dont care so much cause I explore everything.

Man this game. I already played 15 hours and I have almost done nothing... but somehow I have? Strange.

This game is the definition of "I have played for 15 hours and done nothing. Truthfully you have done a little bit of everything, and grinding out relationships and dresses is very time consuming. If you had just been focusing on the tower you would be posting about higher tower levels, if you focused on Hollow you would be posting about hitting trap rooms with high level monsters and also moving that story along. It seems like really 3 games in one. A social/VN type game, and the two different combat areas.

Parakeetman

So took down a couple mid bosses, and just need to finish a quest for the first floor boss. Any tips for the upcoming fight? Also where the crap is the valley?

Dont give the boss time to react, watch your SP & manage it well.

Use the useless map and "attempt" to head towards the direction its marked.

matmanx1

Fun times in the Hollow Area last night. Philia seems to be a pretty good partner with a fairly balanced skill set. She seems to favor Def and Buf slightly more so than Atk but I still saw her using plenty of Atk skills in the couple hours I played.

I died once to a giant Knight type enemy who killed me in one combo of his huge 2H sword but I am pretty sure I could beat him if my equipment and skills were set up to do so.

Has anyone given the girls a shield and if so, will they use it? Seems like they mostly favor one handed weapons with no shield (except for Strea, she's a beast with that 2h sword).

Top Bottom