• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice work with the OT Hikami. Glad someone else did it, since am a bit too busy atm and have not been following up on the US news as much as you folks have.

Is this an Action RPG in the vein of the Tales Of series or more like Monster Hunter? Seems kinda MH to me.

Its nothing like Monster Hunter. If anything it is most def more like an offline MMO. Due to how combat plays out. As you have auto-attacks which are constantly going off on their own and most of your damage is dealt by the various weapon skills. On top of using the other active skills to buff yourself + partner. Some people over here used to call this FFXI offline as a joke.

There is some reflex based actions such as dodging and parrying though.

Outside of that the general combat is very MMO oriented.

From the JP Vita versions which I recorded and use as a good example to show what combat is like with normal enemies + a boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

The footage is from the pre-patch versions which is why some things activate a lot slower than they do now. Though honestly made you a lot more cautious about how you would play due to having to time when to use your buffs and such correctly.

LtOrange

The $20 price tag makes this the easiest purchase I have made in a long time.

Dropping my psn for some co-op action. PSN: LtOrange

Xenus

Its nothing like Monster Hunter. If anything it is most def more like an offline MMO. Due to how combat plays out. As you have auto-attacks which are constantly going off on their own and most of your damage is dealt by the various weapon skills. On top of using the other active skills to buff yourself + partner.

From the JP Vita versions which I recorded and I use as a good example to show what combat is like with normal enemies + a boss.

Do we know if there are going to be any transfer bonuses. Aka will it behoove me to get further than the 5 hours in or so I got on the PS vita version before playing the PS4 one?

Parakeetman

Do we know if there are going to be any transfer bonuses. Aka will it behoove me to get further than the 5 hours in or so I got on the PS vita version before playing the PS4 one?

That am not actually sure on as not have been following to closely on the news itself unfortunately.

If you are only 5 hours in thats not too bad though if you did want to restart. Considering the 100+ hours you can put into the game lol.

I'm so ready to play this game again, especially with the addition of online multiplayer. I sunk over 100 hours into the Vita release, and I expect no different from this version. Maybe I'll get around to trying the mace this time.

EDIT - My psn id is Gimlianon, for those who want to add me for co-op funtimes. I likely won't be on much til after the weekend though. =(

Parakeetman

I'm so ready to play this game again, especially with the addition of online multiplayer. I sunk over 100 hours into the Vita release, and I expect no different from this version. Maybe I'll get around to trying the mace this time.

The mace is actually quite useful if you take a heavy hitter like Strea with you due to the debuffs that it does to the enemy. Only thing is the animations for the attacks look really off with a male character lol. I used to use it on enemies with high def and such.

Its a lot easier to do the skills yourself than try to rely on your AI partner to pull things off correctly.

The mace is actually quite useful if you take a heavy hitter like Strea with you due to the debuffs that it does to the enemy. Only thing is the animations for the attacks look really off with a male character lol.

Good thing I can play around with a female avatar this time around, if it looks too weird. =P

Parakeetman

Good thing I can play around with a female avatar this time around, if it looks too weird. =P

Yeah its kinda odd as if they animated it for a female character only.

The other great mace user is Mogura, the chick with the safety helmet and shovel. lol

One problem with the mace though is the knockback it causes as can cause your partner to miss their skill D:

Xenus

That am not actually sure on as not have been following to closely on the news itself unfortunately.

If you are only 5 hours in thats not too bad though if you did want to restart. Considering the 100+ hours you can put into the game lol.

Yeah it got played for a while straight then got left on the spare memory card and I was feeling too lazy to swap it most nights. I have to do some management anyways as the new patch won't fit on the 4GB I had it on so moving some stuff off the 32GB and it onto it right now. That and some of the nonsensical translation made it hard to under stand the console and the hollow fragment augments system as that was explained very little but I was trying to avoid your guide to avoid spoilers.

Xenus

So sick of delays and staggered releases.

It discourages me from giving them my money at all.

That's a bit harsh it was delayed a week and releases one week apart in different territories as opposed to to much longer delays or a month or more staggered releases.

Abylim

That's a bit harsh it was delayed a week and releases one week apart in different territories as opposed to to much longer delays or a month or more staggered releases.

It keeps happening. There isnt even a patch for EU SAO on vita yet.

Do you have to deal with delays? Australia pays more for the same game America gets, but later.

It needs to stop

You get Hollow free if you get Lost Song? Wut.....

I think this fails to be emphasized enough, because I only found out about it in a random discussion. It's a pretty great deal for second-dipping or people who are considering getting the game for the first time.

Also, wasn't the release date supposedly pushed back to next week? Whatever happened with that?

Abylim

I think this fails to be emphasized enough, because it's a pretty great deal for second-dipping or people who are considering getting the game.

Not in Aus, though.

Yet another reason I probably wont be giving them my money. Paid $60 for this game digital on the Vita. Played about 20 hours of it, loved it.

Really wanted to hop on this. It lets me restart while keeping most of my gear and levels and skills in tact.

But I am just over how shafted Australia gets with the delays and the ridiculous prices.

Double dipping for the multiplayer. My vita save got corrupted and I had to restart so I herd the ps4 ver is coming I stop grinding on my new file to wait for the new one.

Dropping my psn id: WildEagle18 for anyone up for some co-op run.

Parakeetman

The co-op adventures are totally separate from the rest of the game? Voice chat?

Its more like you can run around in the game world and not really like progressing the story. So more loot hunting / leveling. If they kept it exactly the same that is, which Id imagine so.

Xenus

Its more like you can run around in the game world and not really like progressing the story. So more loot hunting / leveling. If they kept it exactly the same that is, which Id imagine so.

Lol if I feeling generous I'd buy my friend a PS4 to play with me I already got her a Vita TV to play it with the Amazon deal. Though I think she'll probably be happier with the gift she'll get in a month for her bday.

Also after logging in to check I had 7 and a half hours of playtime. Just enough to start understanding the systems and to go what are they saying about the translation it's fine after an hour or 2 to oh lord this is funny to my god they even butchered some basic directions...

Parakeetman

Why is this not available for pre-order on the PSN store? And why is there no price (USD)? Namco just dropping this and saying whatever?

51dRHJw.gif

I wonder how much work they really did on the translation. Some of the language they have used suggests they just edited it and didn't start over from scratch.

ys45

I wonder how much work they really did on the translation. Some of the language they have used suggests they just edited it and didn't start over from scratch.

Exactly why I'm waiting to see some impression before getting this .

At first I was not planning to get it but if it's $20 and the translation is decent this time, Il get it .

Xenus

Exactly why I'm waiting to see some impression before getting this .

At first I was not planning to get it but if it's $20 and the translation is decent this time, Il get it .

I want to get it and Lost Song I was going to go Physical for Lost Song but I might get the digital bundle or both. I think I have a problem....

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.

Nice work with the OT Hikami. Glad someone else did it, since am a bit too busy atm and have not been following up on the US news as much as you folks have.

Its nothing like Monster Hunter. If anything it is most def more like an offline MMO. Due to how combat plays out. As you have auto-attacks which are constantly going off on their own and most of your damage is dealt by the various weapon skills. On top of using the other active skills to buff yourself + partner. Some people over here used to call this FFXI offline as a joke.

From the JP Vita versions which I recorded and use as a good example to show what combat is like with normal enemies + a boss.

The footage is from the pre-patch versions which is why some things activate a lot slower than they do now. Though honestly made you a lot more cautious about how you would play due to having to time when to use your buffs and such correctly.

Oh, ok then. I thought this was something more like Soul Sacrifice or MonsHunt, so my interest was almost none. Now that you are telling me that is closer to an MMO offline, I might pick it.

Parakeetman

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.

Oh, ok then. I thought this was something more like Soul Sacrifice or MonsHunt, so my interest was almost none. Now that you are telling me that is closer to an MMO offline, I might pick it.

The combat mainly. One of the other more interesting features is the game allows you to kill enemies way higher than your own level as long as you understand the game mechanics and how to make the most use of the skills available. Which adds quite a bit of excitement to the game.

Normal enemies are pretty easy to roflstomp though as long as they are not red in color.

Heres some other footage for you from the JP Vita ver. As you see here even the normal enemies are red which means higher lv than the player. Its the usual understood system in MMOs so am sure you would be familiar with it. The other characters you see in the video are just AI players that happened to be in the area, so decided to use that to my advantage and drag them into the fight lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7Hie5BOBs

The game in general, if you want to level up and find good equipment go to the Hollow Area. If you want to progress in the story and just roflstomp everything progress in the Aincrad side of the game. Which is the original PSP content, which is why the level design and such is so different / appears simple etc.

The Hollow Area is all of the content that was designed specifically for the Vita version of the game Hollow Fragment. So just keep that in mind when going back and forth between Aincrad and the Hollow Area.

Parakeetman

So sorta...like PSO / Monster Hunter rooms in a way?

I never played the adhoc stuff myself, but its done from a room in the hollow area, that has a terminal which allows you to select where to go and such the place where Philia is at.

So yeah kinda.

I think... been a while, but am pretty sure thats where it takes place.

Hmm... though I had footage of that room in particular guess not.

Do have footage of the "endless" dungeon though, (dont think its really endless just has a ton of floors) its not much to look at but if you wanted an easy way to stock up on potions and equipment on occasion that place is worth checking out. Also can be accessed from the terminal. Enemies get stronger as you progress further in the dungeon. Good for skilling up also just due to how constant combat is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxirQmQkudc

Kamina777

Banned
So sorta...like PSO / Monster Hunter rooms in a way?
This more like pso than monster hunter to the point that mobster hunter shouldn't even be mentioned.

Edit: there needs to be a game called mobster hunter where you wear the suits, fedoras and cufflinks of the mobsters you kill to improve your stats.

Parakeetman

Now im really interested. Looks like you have to have an npc partner with you no matter what?

Its generally better to have one with you as when your skills link you can deal more damage. But you can go run around by yourself if you want. Though make things more difficult.

Flame_AC

The combat mainly. One of the other more interesting features is the game allows you to kill enemies way higher than your own level as long as you understand the game mechanics and how to make the most use of the skills available. Which adds quite a bit of excitement to the game.

Normal enemies are pretty easy to roflstomp though as long as they are not red in color.

Heres some other footage for you from the JP Vita ver. As you see here even the normal enemies are red which means higher lv than the player. Its the usual understood system in MMOs so am sure you would be familiar with it. The other characters you see in the video are just AI players that happened to be in the area, so decided to use that to my advantage and drag them into the fight lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7Hie5BOBs

The game in general, if you want to level up and find good equipment go to the Hollow Area. If you want to progress in the story and just roflstomp everything progress in the Aincrad side of the game. Which is the original PSP content, which is why the level design and such is so different / appears simple etc.

The Hollow Area is all of the content that was designed specifically for the Vita version of the game Hollow Fragment. So just keep that in mind when going back and forth between Aincrad and the Hollow Area.

So you're saying that to have a decent challenge throughout the game, one should avoid doing Hollow Area stuff for awhile, or avoid Aincrad?

Parakeetman

So you're saying that to have a decent challenge throughout the game, one should avoid doing Hollow Area stuff for awhile, or avoid Aincrad?

Aincrad is basically the tutorial in some ways with how easy it is. The Hollow Area can and will kill you if you do not have a decent grasp of the game system, so you might want to progress a little in the Hollow Area at first to get used to the tons of things you will need to learn / remember. After you feel confident enough go try the Hollow Area.

The Hollow Area was designed for folks who played Infinity Moment the PSP game thats why.

Also the game does not really warn you about when you enter an area with high lv enemies, so as with an MMO you need to pay attention to the levels of the enemies around you by targeting them to see their level in relation to yours. Basically red means bad.

Found the footage had recorded of the other mace user in the game Mogura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyo-glh6xA

Tsunamo

Not in Aus, though.

Yet another reason I probably wont be giving them my money. Paid $60 for this game digital on the Vita. Played about 20 hours of it, loved it.

Really wanted to hop on this. It lets me restart while keeping most of my gear and levels and skills in tact.

But I am just over how shafted Australia gets with the delays and the ridiculous prices.
Normally i'm all for admitting we get the shaft, but in this particular case it's not like it's Aus only, the rest of the PAL region has to have it delayed by a week too.

And 20 Euros will probably work out to something like $35 here so it's not as bad as it seems in terms of price for the PS4 version. (versus the high Vita one)

Conan-san

So how does, for lack of a better aphrasing, "Kiriko" work in terms of story? Do they just cast that as if Kirito was female the whole time?

Top Bottom