• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

Im guessing they just did not update those sections at all. Otherwise I would have imagined they would have gone and added them back in.

Space as far as I can tell was a non-issue for the game. This really was a deliberate design decision to give players access to sinon and leafa from the get-go since at the time of release, the game was targeted at people who already played infinity moment. This is also why the game eschews the kabayashi fight in favor of a hollow area introduction sequence.

In fact the only thing you're missing in hollow fragment is their respective introductions at floor 7X (can't remember the exact number) which you can easily find on YouTube.

Skele7on

Banned
What's the combat like in this game? I am interested in picking it up but not sure if I'll enjoy the combat system as it seems pretty weird.

Stuart444

What's the combat like in this game? I am interested in picking it up but not sure if I'll enjoy the combat system as it seems pretty weird.

Pretty good, overwhelming at first for new players but good. It's only $20 which I think is a pretty good price if you're not sure if you'll like it.

Also I just beat the NM Roughneck on the 76F. I forgot there was a level 101 enemy here to beat. Lost the first time because I underestimated him, won the second time, no issue with me and Silica (who is at level 74 just now)

also my AoE Skill, Spinning Totality helps a lot when I'm being followed by half the dungeon XD.

bomblord1

Banned
Pretty good, overwhelming at first for new players but good. It's only $20 which I think is a pretty good price if you're not sure if you'll like it.

Also I just beat the NM Roughneck on the 76F. I forgot there was a level 101 enemy here to beat. Lost the first time because I underestimated him, won the second time, no issue with me and Silica (who is at level 74 just now)

also my AoE Skill, Spinning Totality helps a lot when I'm being followed by half the dungeon XD.

Why use Silica so early? After a few chapters in her level gets bumped way up and it makes her a lot more useful.

Stuart444

Why use Silica so early? After a few chapters in her level gets bumped way up and it makes her a lot more useful.

Because I like her and I tend to switch between partners throughout the game. I don't focus on level too much, especially since Crime Servant levels them up quickly enough anyway.

Not sure who I'll finish Floor 77F with, maybe Sinon. <3 Sinon

bomblord1

Banned
Because I like her and I tend to switch between partners throughout the game. I don't focus on level too much, especially since Crime Servant levels them up quickly enough anyway.

Not sure who I'll finish Floor 77F with, maybe Sinon. <3 Sinon

Sinon is my personal favorite character in the series.

Listonosh

Is last hitting a boss still a thing in version? I forgot, if you don't get the last hit, can you just turn the game off and redo it? Or are you stuck

edit: I'm loving a lot about this version so far btw, especially the translation. But holy shit why is the framerate still so horrible in the town square??? It dips soooo low.

aember

Is last hitting a boss still a thing in version? I forgot, if you don't get the last hit, can you just turn the game off and redo it? Or are you stuck

edit: I'm loving a lot about this version so far btw, especially the translation. But holy shit why is the framerate still so horrible in the town square??? It dips soooo low.

Yup, last hitting is still a thing!

How's this game running on PS4? I was pretty tempted to buy it on Vita back when it came out but then saw Lost Song and figured it would be better from what I was reading and held off. Between being able to play this on my main platform and getting it for free by pre-ording Lost Song, I'm really considering pulling the trigger this time, especially since the translation is supposed to be better.

For those that completed it, is the story pretty awful and you're pretty much playing for a fun combat system/leveling mechanism? Or is it decent? at least comparable to the first anime season.

Stuart444

For those that completed it, is the story pretty awful and you're pretty much playing for a fun combat system/leveling mechanism? Or is it decent? at least comparable to the first anime season.

I'd say it's at least as good as the first season of the anime, helps if you like the characters at least since outside of the main story, there is plenty of character events that you may not like if you don't like the characters.

Combat system is really good though and the game runs pretty good outside of Town. I'd say for $20 you can't go wrong really.

Ryan95

there is plenty of character events that you may not like if you don't like the characters.

As much as I'm in love with Sinon, some scenes involving her
being partially undressed for a reason or another
are pretty embarassing, that's just fanservice.
For anybody playing Re:HF or just HF for the first time, expect many events of this kind, and be prepared to them.

EDIT Even though I don't blame these events AT ALL: for example, they perfectly suit some characters more than other ones
like Strea IMO

Listonosh

I'd say for $20 you can't go wrong really.

This definitely. There is a whole lot of content for only $20, though I'm speaking on behalf of the Vita version as I just started the PS4 version. Also, if you're a big SAO fan, you might want to just pre-order Lost Song since you get Hollow Fragment for free.

So how does one make money? Normal adventuring is zero and the farming quests give very little. I see armor for 1m++gil immediately available and assume there's more expensive later on and I'm already behind.

Is the heroine-specific gear ridiculously hard to obtain? Is it actually any good? A FAQ mentions "armor grinding"? Specifically this. The grinding methods I understand but the armor isn't there.
IIRC the only thing that 'could' have used more fleshing out is how they found Leafa. Sinon just randomly fell out of the sky at one point in the original (again iirc).
There was a scene during 78 where got explained. Well, as explained as it's ever going to get because it's still absolutely ridiculous. I haven't, however, seen any mention of the
"not really related" thing
. That's creepy. I spoiler that because I legitimately don't know if it ever comes up ni the game vs the anime.
I'd say for $20 you can't go wrong really.
Never thought I'd say this, but it feels like almost too much game for $20. There so much content.
Goddammit, lol.

aember

I got to Floor 82 last night, did three Multiplayer missions with a friend this morning and since then been working on the Grand Quest. I feel like I've just barely scratched anything and yet I've still not found any cool armor. Disappointment. :(

the 2h axes on the other hand.. daaaym

Friendship levels don't carry over. Fuck this, I don't want to spend hours doing that stupid social link thing again. And they didn't fix the town performance, it's still abysmal.

Also all my hollow area item rarity got a boost when I imported, but the stats don't seem to change. Weird. Maybe I'll go grind for a few more before starting the ps4 version proper.

bobawesome

Could you elaborate on this?

When playing multiplayer, you can set the difficulty to hard instead of normal and enemies are level 150+. Most enemies I'm fighting currently are in the 170 range and give in excess of 4000 experience for each kill at level 133.

aember

When playing multiplayer, you can set the difficulty to hard instead of normal and enemies are level 150+. Most enemies I'm fighting currently are in the 170 range and give in excess of 4000 experience for each kill at level 133.
Then you throw in the +EXP skill and +EXP potions.. Well that's given me a nice idea! :p

IronLich

Multiplayer is a little rough from the getgo. I feel a lot of problems could be solved if it were up to the party leader exclusively to decide what teleporter everyone ends up at, instead of letting everyone choose. Because then if not everyone knows the exact location of the mission, your party ends up split up... unless you go to the Top Secret Area teleporter, and then you're always in the same place.

Still, it's really cool when everything comes together, but I've had my points where the framerate is just choking and coughing from start to finish.

I'd say it's at least as good as the first season of the anime, helps if you like the characters at least since outside of the main story, there is plenty of character events that you may not like if you don't like the characters.

Combat system is really good though and the game runs pretty good outside of Town. I'd say for $20 you can't go wrong really.

Cool, I'm sure I can deal with that and I figured Lost Song was the one to get but with the pre-order deal, might as well jump on this in the meantime! I remember it was well received in the original thread for the most part so I'm sure it will be fun.

I'm guessing even though it's digital, there's no cross saving with the vita, correct? Just carry over from a Vita save?

Hikami

Just finished the grand quest. Game still crashes/freezes like crazy in the snow area for whatever reason (had to restart the game like 10 times). Guess they didn't fix that from the Vita version.

Also, it seems like Esoteric skills got renamed to Arcane skills now.
CrXr6uj.jpg

aitakute

Friendship levels don't carry over. Fuck this, I don't want to spend hours doing that stupid social link thing again. And they didn't fix the town performance, it's still abysmal.

Also all my hollow area item rarity got a boost when I imported, but the stats don't seem to change. Weird. Maybe I'll go grind for a few more before starting the ps4 version proper.

This! I don't mind grinding their affection level but not the freaking costumes again!

Teknoman

Looks like I'm just gonna have to join an online room to find out about voice chat. Surprised that there are next to no reviews out for this too, but Lost Dimension has a couple.

EDIT: Looking at gamefaqs, maybe its only got text chat by pressing left touchpad?

Hikami

Looks like I'm just gonna have to join an online room to find out about voice chat. Surprised that there are next to no reviews out for this too, but Lost Dimension has a couple.

EDIT: Looking at gamefaqs, maybe its only got text chat by pressing left touchpad?
I know you've been asking about the voice chat but I don't even know myself. It does have text chat though. Preset messages and the abiliy to type in full messages. Which reminds me, I wonder if keyboards work. Gonna have to try that later.
This! I don't mind grinding their affection level but not the freaking costumes again!
Maybe it's just me but, their costumes seem easier/take less time to get now.

Teknoman

Yeah voice chat isn't exactly a make or break feature for me, but I am glad there is text chat, and preset messages are always fun to use. I see the average level of most people hosting (this time of night/morning anyway) are 115-121 or so. Gonna progress just abit more.

Multiplayer is a little rough from the getgo. I feel a lot of problems could be solved if it were up to the party leader exclusively to decide what teleporter everyone ends up at, instead of letting everyone choose. Because then if not everyone knows the exact location of the mission, your party ends up split up... unless you go to the Top Secret Area teleporter, and then you're always in the same place.

Still, it's really cool when everything comes together, but I've had my points where the framerate is just choking and coughing from start to finish.

Sonds pretty promising once things come together.

You cant equip npc team mates right?

Stuart444

Yeah voice chat isn't exactly a make or break feature for me, but I am glad there is text chat, and preset messages are always fun to use. I see the average level of most people hosting (this time of night/morning anyway) are 115-121 or so. Gonna progress just abit more.

Sonds pretty promising once things come together.

You cant equip npc team mates right?

The NPC team mates are the same ones from the main SP game. All levels included (and any levels they gain in SPMP (what I call MP with AI folks) mode come over to SP mode) so if you equipped them with anything in SP mode, that comes over to SPMP mode.

Costumes carry over, thank the gods. I don't fancy the AI unlearning and relearning the combat tactics.

But affection level grinding is just asinine. I wish they carried over so that I don't have to go through them again to unlock the extra AI tactic options.

So far these are the only things I noticed that carry over:

Gold
All Items inc Partners held (exc DLC)
Skills + Palettes
Everyone's levels
Costume unlocks

Improvement to the game's performance is very much appreciated even though it's still a mixed effort. Overall it is an incredible step up from the Vita's poor performance in the hollow area maps, but 60fps is hugely inconsistent, and the game still has trouble spots in the same places as the Vita version (Town being the most obvious example where it dips to sub-30s)

aitakute

Costumes carry over, thank the gods. I don't fancy the AI unlearning and relearning the combat tactics.

But affection level grinding is just asinine. I wish they carried over so that I don't have to go through them again to unlock the extra AI tactic options.

So far these are the only things I noticed that carry over:

Gold
All Items inc Partners held (exc DLC)
Skills + Palettes
Everyone's levels
Costume unlocks

Improvement to the game's performance is very much appreciated even though it's still a mixed effort. Overall it is an incredible step up from the Vita's poor performance in the hollow area maps, but 60fps is hugely inconsistent, and the game still has trouble spots in the same places as the Vita version (Town being the most obvious example where it dips to sub-30s)
Are you sure about the costumes carry over? People reported that the game does carry over the costume the character's wearing but if you change costume it will be lost and you have to unlock it again

Hikami

Are you sure about the costumes carry over? People reported that the game does carry over the costume the character's wearing but if you change costume it will be lost and you have to unlock it again
Yeah, the costumes they were wearing at the time carry over. But you still have to unlock them again if you end up switching.
Same thing if you equipped them with a custom armor, you'll have to raise their affection to be able to gift them armor again.

olaznoG

So, started playing yesterday and one thing bothers me: Kirito runs too fast. Its ALOT faster than in the vita game. It make the game feel weird.

The other annoyance is "O" to interact "X" to confirm.

Got through the first area, done a few of the sidequests in the second.

Does the harem anime stuff ever get toned down? I like the combat and I think the base story is kind of cool, but I find myself skipping all the awkward dialogue about how much every girl in the game wants to bang my main character.

Really fun game otherwise though.

Delio

So I went ahead and picked this up. I'm kind of confused. Should I pick a certain girl to just go with me into the dungeon? I did a few sidequests and leveled up a weapon. I like the combat so far but it's kinda odd being tossed right in at such a high level.

RK128

Does the harem anime stuff ever get toned down? I like the combat and I think the base story is kind of cool, but I find myself skipping all the awkward dialogue about how much every girl in the game wants to bang my main character.

Nope sadly; that is a bit of an issue with SAO in general. Every. single. female in the series wants Kirtio and despite the fact he clearly states he's in a relationship with Asuna, no one even bats an eye to that XD.

There is a silver lining though, as Yui (a character in the game) has some of the best events in the entire game due to how she puts Kirtio in some really bad spots XD.

I never posted this here, but for anyone who never watched the anime and is confused at what is going on in the game, here is a post I made a while back talking about the story of SAO before HF starts:
Regarding the story, look at the following:
-Takes place in a VR MMO, but the characters cannot log out due to that feature being locked out by the creator.
-Leads to everyone going into a panic, but coming to the realization that they need to beat the game to be free (which is 100 Floors of dungeons).
-Main character Kirtio was a beta tester for the game before its launch, so he is skilled with its systems
-He meets his harl....I mean, cast of female friends across the anime
-Gets close to a female player named Asuna and they become 'married' in-game.
-Their 'daughter' is a AI program that they encountered in one of the anime's episodes, who they took in as their 'real' kid
-Final battle in the anime was in Floor 75 and in the anime, after the fight with the creator of the game, it ended, with everyone going free
-This game (Hallow Fragment) takes place in an different reality, where the game DOESN'T end, it just goes on and glitches out
-The cast of the anime have to deal with this and continue through the floors until they beat the final boss on Floor 100
-Character introductions are very clouded, so I will explain them here: Sinon was bought to the world due to a glitch during VR therapy. Leafa (Sugu) was brought to the game on her own will; used a friends NerveGear (the things they use to play SAO) and loged in to see her brother/cousin.
- Late-Game Spoilers -
Strea is a 'new' player in the game world but is a AI program similar to Kirtio's daughter; originally a mental-health mentoring program in the game but was brought out with the other players after the 'glitch'.
Philla is a player affected by the 'glitch', who after 'killing' another player, is locked in the Hallow Area (the first playable area in the game you see) and you work with her to fine a way out for her
-Everyone knows Kirto is married to Asuna but they don't care because they all want him :l. Hey, the game creators couldn't fix everything from the anime XD.

Stuart444

I'd spoiler tag the Phillia stuff as well and perhaps put a note in brackets or something so people know not to click the spoiler tags unless they want some of the major storylines from the game spoiled.
Strea and the mystery behind her is a big storyline you don't find out until much later in the game after all.

RK128

I'd spoiler tag the Phillia stuff as well and perhaps put a note in brackets or something so people know not to click the spoiler tags unless they want some of the major storylines from the game spoiled.
Strea and the mystery behind her is a big storyline you don't find out until much later in the game after all.

Fixed that, so thank you for pointing that out for me :D.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Not really, since thats what the series is generally about writing wise. lol

Thank god you can still do a good amount of adventuring in the hollow zone which evens out those types of scenes.

Top Bottom