• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

Raxious

Well if it's like the original version,, any DLC would be free anyway. (I haven't checked to see if any of the DLC is built into the game - the DLC tab is still in the game though with nothing in it)

Hopefully LS doesn't get delayed by a week <.< so I can just get it from my store instead of the US one.

Uh... not actually sure. I never changed my helmet much. Mainly just my weapons/body piece lol.

yea, however I'm wondering if there's gonna be any transfer regarding the save game from HF to LS. If not, I'd buy the 20$ HF from the US store right now :D

Hikami

I know preordering Lost Song digitally gets you Hollow Fragment on the PSN. What about the retail hardcopy?
Nope, the physical version of Lost Song won't come with Re:HF as far as we know.
b3e74e4c98.jpg
In Japan they're getting this which has the Lost Song disc and a digital code for Re: Hollow Fragment. I highly doubt we'll be getting this in the west though.

IzzyF3

Nope, the physical version of Lost Song won't come with Re:HF as far as we know.

In Japan they're getting this which has the Lost Song disc and a digital code for Re: Hollow Fragment. I highly doubt we'll be getting this in the west though.

Aww, really hoped to get the hardcopy, but it wouldn't make sense if the digital version comes with the first game remastered. I'll wait a little for BandaiNamco to confirm it though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I need to check when the JP one comes out again... as if I didnt have enough crap to buy as is D:

LtOrange

So I bought the game off the USPSN store cause I'm impatient... it looks sooo good. <3 Much better than the Vita version visually.

TIP: Go to 1H Swords Skill in the Skill Tree. There you should see "Searching". click on it, use skill point and then learn "Gain EXP" and "Crime Servant"

First increases your EXP gain, second transfers EXP to partner making it easier to level them up. Both useful skills and the ones I usually learn first.

This game is kinda overwhelming at the beginning and I really appreciate all the tips you have been dropping. Keep them coming!

Stuart444

This game is kinda overwhelming at the beginning and I really appreciate all the tips you have been dropping. Keep them coming!

Hehe, np ^^ it has been a while since I've played this (Completed the JP version and started but never finished the English Vita version lol) but everything feels familiar already to me haha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125932343&postcount=2086

Incase anyone hasn't read the whole Op, ^ Tips I posted in the original HF thread. They should all still be valid.

Just finished Floor 76 myself and leaving it there for today. Next time, I think I'll do one or two Implements and then finish Floor 77.

I love the boss fights in this game. <3 though I always feel nervous near the end when I think I'm not going to get the Last Attacking bonus in lol.

edit: My main complaint now is having to go back to the main menu to do MP.

Also I couldn't see the "Grand Quest" option (on the Hollow Console) which is weird since other stuff from the big patch is in. Maybe we need to progress further in REHF to unlock it. Guess I'll see later on...

edit 2: also hate how O is talk/interact and then X to confirm. I keep cancelling or confirming when I mean to do the other because of that.

Stuart444

Recorded a bit of the recap if anyone wants to check the new translation.
http://youtu.be/h2T1LFLAJrU
I have no idea how it compares to the original but there's a sample if you're interested.

The translation as a whole is much better from what I've seen. I only did the first floor in the original English translation and this is just miles better.

edit: the only thing that annoyed me was the use of Kabaya in the recap only, every other part so far (besides the recap) is Kayaba.

But it's a small issue and like I said, is only used in the recap.

Xenus

I'm confused in the U.S. X is SUPPOSED to be confirm and O cancel

X is confirm but they they didnt go all the way and change talk/interact off of O. Which makes it worse then if it was all O. If you are going to change one they should have changed they other.

aember

Also I couldn't see the "Grand Quest" option (on the Hollow Console) which is weird since other stuff from the big patch is in. Maybe we need to progress further in REHF to unlock it. Guess I'll see later on...

You guessed it! I think!

I've been mostly just clearing the Floors today, but from what I understand I unlocked the Grand Quest by
defeating the area guardian of the first Hollow Area, which also unlocked the next zone.

Hikami

So, how does the game handle the romance stuff anyway with a female protag? Does it just go into Kirito mode or something?
You're still pretty much playing as Kirito for the whole story regardless of what gender your avatar is and all that.

The avatar customization seems to be mainly for multiplayer uniqueness.

Flandy

You're still pretty much Kirito for the whole story regardless of what gender your avatar is and all that.

The avatar customization seems to be mainly for multiplayer uniqueness .

Got it. Lame but I guess I shouldn't have expected anything better

This "dating" harem thing is weird. You have conversations with everyone but from what I can tell all it actually is is spamming R1 in the middle of lines of unrelated gibberish. Do not understand. Hitting R1 always raises the happiness bar. So I spam R1 and the replies sound stupid. Feeling sorta bummed that there's no attempt at even the most basic kind of conversations.

Also, this offline solo multiplayer thing is unusual. Incredibly productive, mind you, with a partner and 3 others all earning exp, but it makes the normal game progression with just a partner feel empty and slow. OH, and are party member deaths in solo multiplayer permadeath? Or can I go all out there?

Hikami

OH, and are party member deaths in solo multiplayer permadeath? Or can I go all out there?
Nope, you can revive your party members if they die in the multiplayer mode. Just have to walk up to them and sacrifice a portion of your hp to revive them.

Flandy

Is anyone getting some weird static out of the right audio channel during the animated cutscenes? Using a PS Gold headset and I had virtual surround sound on at the time so I don't know if that's related. Maybe my headset is just going to shit?

ramyeon

This "dating" harem thing is weird. You have conversations with everyone but from what I can tell all it actually is is spamming R1 in the middle of lines of unrelated gibberish. Do not understand. Hitting R1 always raises the happiness bar. So I spam R1 and the replies sound stupid. Feeling sorta bummed that there's no attempt at even the most basic kind of conversations.

Also, this offline solo multiplayer thing is unusual. Incredibly productive, mind you, with a partner and 3 others all earning exp, but it makes the normal game progression with just a partner feel empty and slow. OH, and are party member deaths in solo multiplayer permadeath? Or can I go all out there?
The relationship stuff is absolutely an asinine grind in this game. It also takes forever to max out each member, it's ridiculous that anyone thought it was a good mechanic. The grind in order to unlock each outfit for party members is just as bad and essentially boils down to grinding against weak enemies while issuing specific commands over and over again for anywhere up to an hour for each outfit. It's small stuff like this that really brings the game as a whole down imo. Everything is a grind.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wait, this still has significant framerate drops?
Well, there goes the main reason I was interested in the port.

Nope, you can revive your party members if they die in the multiplayer mode. Just have to walk up to them and sacrifice a portion of your hp to revive them.
Thanks! Even killing one mob high enough to be marked red can be a level for half the party so it's good to know I can be a little reckless.
The relationship stuff is absolutely an asinine grind in this game. It's small stuff like this that really brings the game as a whole down imo. Everything is a grind.
I saw that there was a trophy for maxing each heroine. Yeah I think I'll have to pass on the plat for this game and just play it. There's an amusement factor of having my Kirita stroll around with the harem but that novelty wears off quickly. Even by my incredibly tolerant JRPG tedium standards that sounds unimaginably annoying. And I've previously coped with the ridiculous bubble bath and massage dating mechanics of the Agarest series! God, nightmares, but I at least justified a lot of it because it was quick + they were legitimately good stat upgrades for legitimately hard games. This is new levels of facepalms.

Teknoman

Add me: TeknomanEX for multiplayer stuff.

Gonna try to get in some MP quests tonight (even though I'm still lvl 100 lol).

I'm fine without the dating mechanics, just having the guys and girls in my party, leveling them up, exploring the world, and learning the battle system is fine for me.

EDIT: What was the recommendation again? Explore the hollow then Aincrad 76+?

Add me: TeknomanEX for multiplayer stuff.

Gonna try to get in some MP quests tonight (even though I'm still lvl 100 lol).

I'm fine without the dating mechanics, just having the guys and girls in my party, leveling them up, exploring the world, and learning the battle system is fine for me.

EDIT: What was the recommendation again? Explore the hollow then Aincrad 76+?

Get to Aincrad 86 and then clear the hollow area before carrying on. Doing the hollow area from the start is feasible, but it makes everything in Aincrad a fucking joke. 86 is recommended because it's a nice midpoint in the infinity moment storyline before the points of no return, and unlocks a couple of gameplay features (Liz's crafting upgrades, Sinon's bow, etc)

Add: that said feel free to jump between the two without much consequence if Aincrad gets too boring (very likely). The hollow area is better designed and more fun to play.

Flandy

To those who have finished this game. Is the story just as garbage as the show?
Because the show is garbage in all the right ways :p

I have an Australian PSN account.

If I make a US PSN account to buy this early since it's delayed here will I be able to play multiplayer with it on my Australian PSN account?

Ala Alba

I played a little bit of this tonight.

This game does not seem to be meant for new players.

It seems specifically aimed at people who've played the original (non-Hollow Fragment) game.

At least, I'm assuming that's why the initial presentation (from starting a new game to being able to move around the town) is so terrible.

Characters are introduced without explanation (suddenly, Leafa/Suguha!), and then you're thrown into a bunch of cutscenes for yet another new character with little in the way of transition between them.

The whole thing is not helped by the UI being so poor and the extremely light and oddly ordered tutorials.

I haven't actually played much, though, so I'll stick with it for now.

ramyeon

I played a little bit of this tonight.

This game does not seem to be meant for new players.

It seems specifically aimed at people who've played the original (non-Hollow Fragment) game.

At least, I'm assuming that's why the initial presentation (from starting a new game to being able to move around the town) is so terrible.

Characters are introduced without explanation (suddenly, Leafa/Suguha!), and then you're thrown into a bunch of cutscenes for yet another new character with little in the way of transition between them.

The whole thing is not helped by the UI being so poor and the extremely light and oddly ordered tutorials.

I haven't actually played much, though, so I'll stick with it for now.
I don't think it's the case that it's made for players of the original rather it's just bad at explaining its systems. I learnt more from watching YouTube videos about the game than I did from the game's explanations. Check out Havian on YouTube's videos, they're great.

Hikami

Played a ton of multiplayer today now that people actually stopped locking their rooms.
Playing with randoms that don't know what they're doing is so frustrating.. you have to wait for them to figure out where to go and then wait for them to get there since the mission won't start without your party members. Then some hosts never change the mission.. etc

Some random person gifted me an end- game katana so at least that was nice.

But still meh, only gonna multi with friends until more people actually know what they're doing. The lobby even has a tutorial that tells you how everything works but no one seems to read it.

Ala Alba

I don't think it's the case that it's made for players of the original rather it's just bad at explaining its systems. I learnt more from watching YouTube videos about the game than I did from the game's explanations. Check out Havian on YouTube's videos, they're great.

My complaint is less about the gameplay systems and more about the story.

No sane person would ever choose to introduce an alternate story continuation with characters that shouldn't be able to be there in this fashion.

This is pretty evident from the fact that the proper story intro takes place in a series of disjointed cutscenes and is entirely optional.

Parakeetman

Played a ton of multiplayer today now that people actually stopped locking their rooms.
Playing with randoms that don't know what they're doing is so frustrating.. you have to wait for them to figure out where to go and then wait for them to get there since the mission won't start without your party members. Then some hosts never change the mission.. etc

But still meh, only gonna multi with friends until more people actually know what they're doing. The lobby even has a tutorial that tells you how everything works but no one seems to read it.

playing with randoms in anything generally = fail

jkh33

Just finished downloading this, played the vita version before. So far I'm really liking this version more than I thought I would.

Add me: jkh33 for some multiplayer action.

Xenus

No sane person would ever choose to introduce an alternate story continuation with characters that shouldn't be able to be there in this fashion.

This is pretty evident from the fact that the proper story intro takes place in a series of disjointed cutscenes and is entirely optional.

Yeah I kind of want to play a fan translation of infinity moment for the character introductions to start and the heathcliff fight. I'm not sure why they cut that for a quick video and very long winded exposition through talking videos to start.

ramyeon

The reason they're there is no reason. It's just fan service. Wouldn't think about it too deeply, the story is not the strong point of this game by far.

Xenus

The reason they're there is no reason. It's just fan service. Wouldn't think about it too deeply, the story is not the strong point of this game by far.

Well apparently infinity moment actually tries to explain it other than all these people suddenly show up cause of "reasons". Sure they really showed up cause of fan service and the reasons were cover but I prefer they at least try to explain it rather then shove it all in 30 mins of non interactivity at the beginning with videos and chats but no explaination of to why just hey yeah Leafa and Sinon shows up cause....

Teknoman

playing with randoms in anything generally = fail

Asked a bunch already but never got an answer: So does the game have voice chat, because that would alleviate a lot of the unorganizedness (i'd hope). Also do we want to have gaf room passwords like every other game?

Well apparently infinity moment actually tries to explain it other than all these people suddenly show up cause of "reasons". Sure they really showed up cause of fan service and the reasons were cover but I prefer they at least try to explain it rather then shove it all in 30 mins of non interactivity at the beginning with videos and chats but no explaination of to why just hey yeah Leafa and Sinon shows up cause....

Hollow Fragment is an updated rerelease of Infinity Moment as I recall.

Parakeetman

Asked a bunch already but never got an answer: So does the game have voice chat, because that would alleviate a lot of the unorganizedness (i'd hope). Also do we want to have gaf room passwords like every other game?

Am not sure actually, as dont have the PS4 version yet. You might need to check with Hikami.

Parakeetman

Yeah but apparently they cut/redid a lot of the beginning as you actually fought heathcliff and had to do some exploring and quests to find Leafa etc...

Yeah fighting Heathcliff was the tutorial for combat.

And the other characters showed up as the story progressed. Seems like they compressed it in HF to make space for all of the other new content and such. Plus the game itself was more for fans of the series, who a lot had already played Infinity Moment.

Xenus

Yeah fighting Heathcliff was the tutorial for combat.

And the other characters showed up as the story progressed. Seems like they compressed it in HF to make space for all of the other new content and such. Plus the game itself was more for fans of the series, who a lot had already played Infinity Moment.

True they were probably up against the space limits for the game considering it's size but it is disappointing still that got cut. Not expected but would have been cool if they added it back for the PS4 version

Parakeetman

True they were probably up against the space limits for the game considering it's size but it is disappointing still that got cut. Not expected but would have been cool if they added it back for the PS4 version

Im guessing they just did not update those sections at all. Otherwise I would have imagined they would have gone and added them back in.

Xenus

Im guessing they just did not update those sections at all. Otherwise I would have imagined they would have gone and added them back in.
Yeah it would have been nice if they cut it last minute for space and just had it sitting around that they could readd though that doesn't mean they would as someone would have to think about it and consider it worth the investment. Plus decisions would have to be made like if they'd reorder the beginning or do the heathcliff fight s a flashback etc...

Stuart444

IIRC the only thing that 'could' have used more fleshing out is how they found Leafa. Sinon just randomly fell out of the sky at one point in the original (again iirc).

The Strea stuff is pretty much the same as the original IM, it just happens earlier in the game in HF.

If you're really that curious, just watch a vid/look up a fan trans because the combat is pretty slow and bleh in the original IM. HF improved in every single aspect for that.

Still story is pretty fun, more so if you're a fan of the anime of course otherwise you'll probably enjoy the combat far more.

Also Hollow Area wise: Complete it whenever but I'd recommend doing at least a few of the Floor Clearing chapter until you're used to the combat. The final couple of bosses in the Hollow Area are pretty nice and challenging imo (at around level 117-118 anyway) :D.

Also another tip for later on, there is 3 'secret' characters in total. The one for completing the Hollow Area and then completing the floor clearing chapter. The other 2 can be found in the Hollow Area. I forget when but I know I was nearly finished the Hollow Area when I did one of theirs events. (being vague :p )

Top Bottom