• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

Hikami

Not sure if this was in the Vita version since I never messed with ad-hoc but, you can actually trade in the multiplayer lobby :0 (not my image)
ec76e1254c.png

Xenus

I should have taken a screen shot but I got bitter after trying to find a way around it for a half an hour and left. Once you start in the training down the path where you take the bull out on the exit you can no longer follow the first south fork there it a big yellow circle with the a symbol in it blocking your way and the characters don't eve react to it. It just blocks the path.

No NM's other then the one you were supposed to kill for the mission and only one chest which had gil in it

So how's the female avatar handled? I made one and only got to do the initial tutorial before stopping. Might just start over as Male because it seems to be designed around that
Can change your avatar at any time via the desk in your room at the inn in the town after the tutorial mission. Found it by total mistake, lol.

You're stuck with the coat but you can change any of the attributes you had originally.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I should have taken a screen shot but I got bitter after trying to find a way around it for a half an hour and left. Once you start in the training down the path where you take the bull out on the exit you can no longer follow the first south fork there it a big yellow circle with the a symbol in it blocking your way and the characters don't eve react to it. It just blocks the path.

No NM's other then the one you were supposed to kill for the mission and only one chest which had gil in it

Man that sucks. Wonder why they added that.

Can change your avatar at any time via the desk in your room at the inn in the town after the tutorial mission. Found it by total mistake, lol.

You're stuck with the coat but you can change any of the attributes you had originally.

The coat is just the armor graphic, which changes when you get new pieces of armor.

Xenus

Man that sucks. Wonder why they added that.

The coat is just the armor graphic, which changes when you get new pieces of armor.

No idea but it lets you go there after the tutorial though. Lol though I forgot how tough it was and wandered over there solo.. Was dead in 2 hits

Also they need to tweak the UI quite a bit the inventory screen is tiny is obviously setup for a handheld not very far from yourface vs a big screen 4-6 ft away or more

Well yeah, if length isn't a problem then it's alright.
Just have to watch out for the miss-able trophies, some of those can be difficult to get.

for example, you have to get all last-hit bonuses from the floor bosses. (You have to be the last person to hit the boss)
If you don't get the last hit, you'll have to close the game out so it won't auto save and do the boss battle again.

That, and you have to make sure not to accidentally sell the loot off, or the trophy won't activate as well. Definitely one of the more annoying trophies to keep track of, in a game full of annoying ones. (Max implements ugh)

This was something I needed to check as well, do the trophies for a save import activate if you've already hit the requirements? I think the main ones that could have issues would be level milestones, implement completion and friendship levels.

I wish the online quest structure was like Monster Hunter... I mean, this game's online counterpart is structured around what MH built and made popular. It's just really awkward how you have to keep teleporting to one area to find a specific spot where your current quest is supposed to be. You end up running into battles that are way above your level. They should just be able to drop you in the vicinity of the quest, or at least just one area away from it. Guess I'll just get used to it.

Parakeetman

I wish the online quest structure was like Monster Hunter... I mean, this game's online counterpart is structured around what MH built and made popular. It's just really awkward how you have to keep teleporting to one area to find a specific spot where your current quest is supposed to be. You end up running into battles that are way above your level. They should just be able to drop you in the vicinity of the quest, or at least just one area away from it. Guess I'll just get used to it.

You are already looking at things wrong if you are concerned about how enemies are above your level as that is basically what the charm of the game is. As you as a player, by being proficient with the game and skills available you are able to kill things way over your level. As stuff that is near or same lv as you pose little to no challenge same with exp.

By playing with others it should make it even easier also.

Just gotta learn the ins and outs of the game, I'll be sure to get there eventually and deal with the nuisances of the online structure.

Here's some 1080p/60fps online co-op that I got to record earlier, beat up on some goblins:

https://youtu.be/1Lcmgnyqjwk

Is dual-wield the way to go? How are the katanas and spears in the game?

Well yeah, if length isn't a problem then it's alright.
Just have to watch out for the miss-able trophies, some of those can be difficult to get.

for example, you have to get all last-hit bonuses from the floor bosses. (You have to be the last person to hit the boss)
If you don't get the last hit, you'll have to close the game out so it won't auto save and do the boss battle again.
Interesting. Takes for the info. I'll be picking this up and joining you all soon.

Parakeetman

Just gotta learn the ins and outs of the game, I'll be sure to get there eventually and deal with the nuisances of the online structure.

Here's some 1080p/60fps online co-op that I got to record earlier, beat up on some goblins:

https://youtu.be/1Lcmgnyqjwk

Is dual-wield the way to go? How are the katanas and spears in the game?

Dual-wield is good if you like doing a lot of hits and what nots, but personally I prefer more heavy hitters like the Katana. Have not used the spear all that much outside of the skills you can learn from it which are fairly useful as they are more geared towards party support.

The attack skills did not invest too much into.

Generally though try out everything since its not like you have to spend points into said weapon if you dont want to and you should get a good general feeling of how they all play.

Plus look through the skill trees to see what you might want.

Though some weapons like the Katana / 2HS are locked away till you skill up pre-reqs with other ones first.

I wish they made a better effort with the textures.

They seriously couldn't swap out like those blurred grass ground textures for some better ones the PS4 could easily handle?

Xenus

I wish they made a better effort with the textures.

They seriously couldn't swap out like those blurred grass ground textures for some better ones the PS4 could easily handle?

Could use some AF likely as well cause that ground texture shimmers a lot.

And framerate totally tanks when a bunch of people appear at once almost like it was a real MMO

Teknoman

Battle system and the whole mysterious game area stuff is interesting so far. Does take a little to wrap your head around the battle system though. All in all its fun, but can't wait to challenge MP quests more than anything.

Asked before, but there is voicechat online right? Also how do you risk switch / congrats / combo attack with people online? Doesn't work like npcs I assume.

Gridman

Neo Member
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but the vita version didn't have attack cut ins for Klein and Argo right? Just wondering cause I took both out for a test run and they had all the same battle dialogue images in the top left like the other main girls. If so, that's a pretty neat addition. Makes me wonder if they added them for another hidden character you can recruit down the road.

Parakeetman

Battle system and the whole mysterious game area stuff is interesting so far. Does take a little to wrap your head around the battle system though. All in all its fun, but can't wait to challenge MP quests more than anything.

Asked before, but there is voicechat online right? Also how do you risk switch / congrats / combo attack with people online? Doesn't work like npcs I assume.

My guess would be you will just have to play like a normal mmo and manage hate. With damage & skills.

Its similar how in the "simulated" offline MP you cant do switch and stuff. But you can manage hate.

This game looks cool but the opening really put me off. I had no idea what I was doing so I turned it off for now after like 2 minutes.

There's like 5 different bars on the screen and all sorts of icons and it's telling me about a risk system. Is this game really complicated? I want to play it but it's so daunting looking?

aitakute

So I loaded my Vita save file. I got to keep my skills level, money and all but have to start from the start again? My girls's affection level also got reset? Man, I have to find costumes for the girls again?

So I loaded my Vita save file. I got to keep my skills level, money and all but have to start from the start again? My girls's affection level also got reset?

noticed that too. maybe you can upload everything once you leave the Hollow Area for the first time

edit: I should have re-read the OP again >_>

Stalk

Does anyone have any more screenshots of the new translation? The ones a few pages back are good, just looking for a few more. Will probably dive in on this version digitally when it drops in the EU, I enjoyed the Vita version but it got forgotten when a few other titles came out. Newer, better translated version would pull me in.

Does the frame rate still plummet if a lot of NPCs are on screen? I had an instance on one of the areas where about 20 NPCs ended up bundled in a corner somehow and the frame rate hit the ground.

Oldsql

Does anyone have any more screenshots of the new translation? The ones a few pages back are good, just looking for a few more. Will probably dive in on this version digitally when it drops in the EU, I enjoyed the Vita version but it got forgotten when a few other titles came out. Newer, better translated version would pull me in.

Does the frame rate still plummet if a lot of NPCs are on screen? I had an instance on one of the areas where about 20 NPCs ended up bundled in a corner somehow and the frame rate hit the ground.

The frame rate in the city goes down quite a lot in some areas.

ramyeon

The frame rate in the city goes down quite a lot in some areas.
Wow even on the PS4? That's ridiculous for this game. Probably not gonna double dip. I enjoyed it on the Vita but there was just way too much grind involved for everything. All the grinding wore me out so much I never even completed the game.

ramyeon

That tutorial boss fight is definitely not very smooth at all, looks like the frame rate fluctuates a lot rather being locked. Don't remember it being an issue at all outside of town areas with a lot of NPCs in the Vita version, although it has been awhile since I played it.

Hikami

yeah, at the tutorial boss. Doesn't look that smooth to my eyes.
Must just be the video itself then. Game has been running pretty smooth for me, that boss included.

Only time the framerate drops is in town when there are a lot of NPCs or occasionally when there are a lot of enemies. Not sure why they didn't fix the drops in towns when it was such a problem for the Vita as well..

Makes me wonder how Lost Song will run since they've added more enemies and vegetation to the PS4 ver of that game.

Parakeetman

Must just be the video itself then. Game has been running pretty smooth for me, that boss included.

Only time the framerate drops is in town when there are a lot of NPCs or occasionally when there are a lot of enemies. Not sure why they didn't fix the drops in towns when it was such a problem for the Vita as well..

Makes me wonder how Lost Song will run since they've added more enemies and vegetation to the PS4 ver of that game.

Its a totally different team / engine with Lost Song so you cant even compare the two. And Id highly suggest against it in general with going in with expectations from HF to LS. As you will be let down hard if so.

More than likely it was too much trouble to fix which is why its just left the way it is. That and for the most part does not have much of an impact on gameplay. Most of the time when things slow down with multiple monsters is more when you kill multiple and the shattering effect goes off at once.

Game actually looks more like its sped up now than being slower... lol

Teknoman

Giant boss was 60 fps for me at all times.

As for all the gauges, the game introduces everything to you bit by bit after that fight. It's really not as complicated as it looks.

Stuart444

I look forward to when people do the last couple of side quests in Aincrad :) Especially if they were my level when they complete them (around 118 - 120 iirc) :D

For the record, you don't need to grind too much (to complete the story of either area), you start at level 100 and I beat Hollow Area at around level 117 - 118 and Aincrad at around 123ish.

You may even grind unintentionally when you start either doing lots of MP (alone or with actual people) or when you want to start challenging things way above your level. One of my favourite things was looking for new challenges :D

edit: I was 125 when I fought the hidden boss at the very end (just found an old pic from the JP VIta release) who you can face if you remember to complete the Hollow Area and them make the obvious choice right after the final boss :)

bobawesome

Should I check this out if I hated the characters/story/writing of SAO but liked the premise and world? I'm in the market for a jrpg and $20 isn't that much.

Hmm, possibly. I was in the same boat but I think the game is great. I've even warmed up to a few characters.

Mendrox

I look forward to when people do the last couple of side quests in Aincrad :) Especially if they were my level when they complete them (around 118 - 120 iirc) :D

For the record, you don't need to grind too much (to complete the story of either area), you start at level 100 and I beat Hollow Area at around level 117 - 118 and Aincrad at around 123ish.

You may even grind unintentionally when you start either doing lots of MP (alone or with actual people) or when you want to start challenging things way above your level. One of my favourite things was looking for new challenges :D

edit: I was 125 when I fought the hidden boss at the very end (just found an old pic from the JP VIta release) who you can face if you remember to complete the Hollow Area and them make the obvious choice right after the final boss :)

I was even way lower for the final hidden boss lol... You should grind weapons in this game, not levels. Skills are way more important. :)

Kamina777

Banned
Which is better? This or Toukiden Kiwami?
They're night and day, for what its worth I enjoyed toukiden kiwami's story mode and beat it but would put that game behind this one easily.. this game has this calculated cohesion that keeps you wanring to perfect your style of play.. there is something fulfilling about going toe to toe with an enemy that is 40 levels above your level that puts fire in your blood.

Hikami

Weapon crafting has been improved greatly
On the Vita when you asked Lisbeth to make you a weapon, you just gave her some stones and she created something random.

Here though you can actually raise the weapon's stats and rarity by using materials and stones.

Parakeetman

Weapon crafting has been improved greatly

On the Vita when you asked Lisbeth to make you a weapon, you just gave her some stones and she created something random.

Here though you can actually raise the weapon's stats and rarity by using materials and stones.

Thank god since it was such a crap shoot before. That and you had to progress in the story to allow for her to become more proficient at crafting so she wouldnt go failing / screwing up your equipment lol

Stuart444

I was even way lower for the final hidden boss lol... You should grind weapons in this game, not levels. Skills are way more important. :)

There is a great weapon in the second last Hollow Map iirc. A Sword that respawns (in Multiplayer at least), I used the Solo MP (with AI companions :) ) mode to get the Sword twice. Very powerful for Dual wielders :D even though the monster guarding it was higher than any of our levels.

levyjl1988

Banned
So will all available DLC that was in Japan be available for NA including past preorder bonuses in a later date? Or will it come in the form of patches?

Stuart444

So I bought the game off the USPSN store cause I'm impatient... it looks sooo good. <3 Much better than the Vita version visually.

TIP: Go to 1H Swords Skill in the Skill Tree. There you should see "Searching". click on it, use skill point and then learn "Gain EXP" and "Crime Servant"

First increases your EXP gain, second transfers EXP to partner making it easier to level them up. Both useful skills and the ones I usually learn first.

Raxious

So I bought the game off the USPSN store cause I'm impatient... it looks sooo good. <3 Much better than the Vita version visually.

TIP: Go to 1H Swords Skill in the Skill Tree. There you should see "Searching". click on it, use skill point and then learn "Gain EXP" and "Crime Servant"

First increases your EXP gain, second transfers EXP to partner making it easier to level them up. Both useful skills and the ones I usually learn first.

Damn you, I'm so tempted to do the same xD However I'm not sure if we gonna get any kind of DLC, and I'm also planning on getting Lost Song later this year.

aember

Here's a question for those who finished the Vita version, or just got way far in: are there visible headgear pieces? Like helmets maybe? I'm loving smashing stuff with the 2h Axe right now, at the moment using the Gale set, but I can't help but feel like a nice armored helmet would make this even more badass.

I'm asking because I noticed that accessories normally don't do anything, but putting on a necklace makes the character "blink" in a way that only visual changes do, so I'm hoping that there's actual helmets or hats.

Stuart444

Damn you, I'm so tempted to do the same xD However I'm not sure if we gonna get any kind of DLC, and I'm also planning on getting Lost Song later this year.

Well if it's like the original version,, any DLC would be free anyway. (I haven't checked to see if any of the DLC is built into the game - the DLC tab is still in the game though with nothing in it)

Hopefully LS doesn't get delayed by a week <.< so I can just get it from my store instead of the US one.

Here's a question for those who finished the Vita version, or just got way far in: are there visible headgear pieces? Like helmets maybe? I'm loving smashing stuff with the 2h Axe right now, at the moment using the Gale set, but I can't help but feel like a nice armored helmet would make this even more badass.

I'm asking because I noticed that accessories normally don't do anything, but putting on a necklace makes the character "blink" in a way that only visual changes do, so I'm hoping that there's actual helmets or hats.

Uh... not actually sure. I never changed my helmet much. Mainly just my weapons/body piece lol.

Top Bottom