• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Synth/Keyboard Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_deeb

Not sure how many of you are into this kind of stuff, but I need a little help choosing a synth. Right now I have a Casio CTK-551, which is a very cheap beginners keyboard that feels like a toy to me. I've done some research and also have been to a few stores to test out stuff, but I'm still having trouble. What I'm simply looking for is a more genuine keyboard and something with easy accessible synth features that are easy to operate for a beginner like me. I want to be able to program/save beats,effects and what not. I don't know the right terminology for a lot of the stuff yet since I'm just starting out. I've been reading guides at www.tweakheadz.com and it seems to be helping a bit as well. I also want something that is accessible to be pulled off live. Here are a few things I've been interested in. (in no particular order)

Korg M1

m1.jpg

Kurzweil k2000

k2000s.jpg

Heard good things about both of these, they seemed easy to play and navigate through at the stores. Not sure on their reliability and their price might be a little too much for me. I'm ranging in the $200-450 (U.S.) area right about now.

Korg MicroKorg

microkorg.jpg

Although this had some really cool and easy to use synth options (especially the vocoder add-on) The keys are too small and it's definately not something I could easily translate the keyboard lines I've come up with.

I've checked out www.vintagesynth.org as well and the forums are somewhat helpful and I've checked out their reviews and similar products they recommend but I still want more suggestions and comments. Hopefully by people who have owned these or a familar with them. Thanks in advance.

Shompola

Banned
Korg M1 = Out dated Rompler. There are by far better and cheaper romplers out there if you need any that is.

K2000 = Legendary synth. Very good and versatile even though its pretty cheap nowadays. Be aware programming it is HARD. By programming I mean setting up new sounds and layers. Beats and shit should be easy enough.

Micro Korg = small digital subtractive performance synthesizer.

Of the synths you mentioned I would ignore M1 altogether and probably the Micro Korg aswell, even though it is a nice performer. But seriously the Micro Korg is good as an additional synth, like a side kick. The K2000 however is just awesome. It covers more or less anything and it does it good to great.

If you later on want a performance synth, then I would personally recommend you a Roland Juno 106. It's cheap, it's analog, it's easy to use, easy to program, , has an extensive MIDI compatibility, capable of very good sounds even though it has a simple architecture, robust, and best of all its very fun to use.

BTW, does your Casio have MIDI interface? If yes then Roland JV 1080 might be good for you. It's a small synth module with a wide range of sounds that also can be upgraded. If you have never heard of JV 1080 then think MechWarrior 2 :)
I'm not updated when it comes to prices but I would assume JV 1080 is 300USD or so used?

tt_deeb

Shompola said:
If you later on want a performance synth, then I would personally recommend you a Roland Juno 106. It's cheap, it's analog, it's easy to use, easy to program, , has an extensive MIDI compatibility, capable of very good sounds even though it has a simple architecture, robust, and best of all its very fun to use.

What do you mean later on? I sort of wanted one now. Would it be worth it to get a Juno 106 if I already have the k2000?

BTW, does your Casio have MIDI interface? If yes then Roland JV 1080 might be good for you. It's a small synth module with a wide range of sounds that also can be upgraded. If you have never heard of JV 1080 then think MechWarrior 2 :)
I'm not updated when it comes to prices but I would assume JV 1080 is 300USD or so used?

Yeah my Casio has a MIDI interface. I'll check it out.

DHGamer

Out of what you listed I'd say the Korg M1. They're going for about 150 on ebay with accessories. The M1 isn't 'outdated' IMO, the synth is considered a classic in the music industry and still has great sound compared to newer models. I originally bought one when they were $2000 and still love it.

Shompola

Banned
It really depends on what kind of sounds you need and what you want to do. The Juno 106 is very fun to use especially on stage. I even think you can hook it up to software synths and control the parameters via the sliders on the Juno 106!! that's pretty cool...
I have the Juno 106 so obviously I am a bit biased :)

And yes I think getting a Juno and K2000 is worth it. They complement each other very well.
The K2000 and M1 however are on collision course. The K2000 can do what the M1 does and some more. You can even add a sampler to the K2000. K2000 really is a good start if you're hunting for workstaitons, mostly because its so cheap and well worth the price you're paying. How much is the store asking for the K2000 anyway?

The JV 1080 is a rompler, it lacks sequencer, sampler and other stuff that mainly workstations have. But the other hand the sounds are varied and good. You basicly only pay for the sounds and nothing more.

If your main type of music is ochestra like, then K2000 is definitely your choice, or possible the JV 1080 if you can't afford the K2000 or simple isn't interested in a workstation.
If you want to make modern type dance music, goa trance, trance,rnb, rap... then Juno 106 and the micro korg are better choices. But I don't think the Juno 106 and Micro Korg are good as your first "real" synth because they are limited, but then again that might not be a problem for you. I guess it depends on the individual :)

Last but not least, the Juno 106 is an excellent(probably the best) introduction to subtractive synthesis, the layout is very good.

Shompola

Banned
DHGamer said:
Out of what you listed I'd say the Korg M1. They're going for about 150 on ebay with accessories. The M1 isn't 'outdated' IMO, the synth is considered a classic in the music industry and still has great sound compared to newer models. I originally bought one when they were $2000 and still love it.

Well I probably was a bit harsh there. But my point is that you can pay a little more and get a better equivalent synth. The K2000 for example is not that much more expensive but its so much more powerful... that is if you can operate it correctly.

tt_deeb

Shompola said:
It really depends on what kind of sounds you need and what you want to do. The Juno 106 is very fun to use especially on stage. I even think you can hook it up to software synths and control the parameters via the sliders on the Juno 106!! that's pretty cool...
I have the Juno 106 so obviously I am a bit biased :)

And yes I think getting a Juno and K2000 is worth it. They complement each other very well.
The K2000 and M1 however are on collision course. The K2000 can do what the M1 does and some more. You can even add a sampler to the K2000. K2000 really is a good start if you're hunting for workstaitons, mostly because its so cheap and well worth the price you're paying. How much is the store asking for the K2000 anyway?

If your main type of music is ochestra like, then K2000 is definitely your choice, or possible the JV 1080 if you can't afford the K2000 or simple isn't interested in a workstation.
If you want to make modern type dance music, goa trance, trance,rnb, rap... then Juno 106 and the micro korg are better choices. But I don't think the Juno 106 and Micro Korg are good as your first "real" synth because they are limited, but then again that might not be a problem for you. I guess it depends on the individual :)

Last but not least, the Juno 106 is an excellent(probably the best) introduction to subtractive synthesis, the layout is very good.

Pretty sure the store was selling the k2000 for around 450 or 500. My only problem with the Juno 106, and I know this sounds silly, but it looks so retro and I feel like I might be embarrased carrying it around. When you say the k2000 is a workstation, what exactly do you mean by that? (probably a stupid question - but what's the differences?)

The Jv1080 I don't think is the type of thing I'm looking for. I do like working with orchestra stuff, but it needs to have a synthy sound still. Like when I do MIDI stuff with my Casio I almost always use SynthStrings.

Shompola

Banned
workstation basicly means a synth where you can compose your entire music on it without any additional help. They mainly have sequencers, drum machines, synth section, effect section, arpeggiator etc on board. And on some of them you can also connect an external device and control it with the workstation.. for example the sequencer on the workstation controlling the other equipment.

The JV 1080 has plenty of synthesizer type of sounds too from the library of the Jupiter/Juno/JX etc... lines of roland synths.

Raxel

Shompola, would you happen to know much about the synths used in 80s rock songs? Specifically the keyboard-AOR bands like Dare, Giuffria and so on. I've looked for information but it's very hard to find anything useful to go on :/

Shompola

Banned
I don't really know. But when I think 80s rock and synth I think SCI Prophet 5/VS, various Moog and Oberheim synths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom