• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

epmode

I want to kill myself...i'm near the end of the game and accidently quicksaved right before i died. 5 hours down the drain.

To all you pc gamers: is there any fucking way to fix this? If not, I don't think I will ever finish this gem...

The trick is making the occasional backup save instead of relying on a single quicksave slot. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get stuck sooner.

This might help, although I don't know if you can get it working so close to death: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/185706-system-shock-2/cheats

I want to kill myself...i'm near the end of the game and accidently quicksaved right before i died. 5 hours down the drain.

To all you pc gamers: is there any fucking way to fix this? If not, I don't think I will ever finish this gem...
How does someone use quicksave only for five hours? It's your own fault. On the other hand there might be a way to load certain maps with the console (if there is ome).

rabhw

Doesn't the game also auto save fairly frequently? Or does that share the slot with quicksave...?

I finally beat the game using only quicksave today, I'm a daredevil!

epmode

This game has been worked on by fans for so long, I'm positive that there's a way around the problem. Try the Looking Glass forums if you can't find something with Google.

Doesn't the game also auto save fairly frequently? Or does that share the slot with quicksave...?

It's a shared slot.

The dinking around on the recreation deck, the elevator/tram tag the game forces you through, and (penultimate area spoiler)
the terrible meat world
are this game's low point. It's sort of funny that this game basically has the exact same pacing problems that Bioshock has - everything after "the big reveal" feels a bit too much like padding, although
SHODAN's
awesome voice clips make up for it just a little bit.

I wonder if Infinite is going to have the same problem.

lotrfan

Neo Member
I'm at the first O/S upgrade machine. Does Lethal Weapon increase wrench damage or should I choose Sharpshooter? On Normal difficulty.
Yes it increases wrench damage, Highly recommended. Sharpshooter is also good if you are using weapons. I would go for lethal weapon but that really depends on how you like to play the most.

lotrfan

Neo Member

Others have given you good advice but I fear you may have to use someone's else save file; one that is similar to yours.

There is a mod that will change where the quicksave is saved but that is of no help to you unless you decide to replay the lost hours.

I just got to the
Shodan
reveal. Now I've lost any desire to continue playing. I feel like it's all downhill from here. Just a bunch of taking orders. Some additional monsters were introduced right before this part and I don't really want to fight them. They just don't seem like much fun.

I liked fighting the more humanoid enemies. At this point they aren't much trouble, but I'd still be fine fighting just them till the end of the game. I don't want to start the whole die alot-get stronger-overcome foe gameplay loop.

Meh, maybe I'm done with this game.

Purkake4

Banned
I just got to the
Shodan
reveal. Now I've lost any desire to continue playing. I feel like it's all downhill from here. Just a bunch of taking orders. Some additional monsters were introduced right before this part and I don't really want to fight them. They just don't seem like much fun.

I liked fighting the more humanoid enemies. At this point they aren't much trouble, but I'd still be fine fighting just them till the end of the game. I don't want to start the whole die alot-get stronger-overcome foe gameplay loop.

Meh, maybe I'm done with this game.
Well, it's obviously not for everyone.

Looking back, I really do wish there had been more of a gameplay/story dichotomy between
SHODAN/cold metal
and
The Many/splendor of flesh
, possibly with a
"pure" third option

Purkake4

Banned
I've had the
SHODAN reveal
spoiled for me a while back. Would the correlating portion of BioShock 1 be
"Would you kindly?"
?
I always correlated it with the
Fontaine/Atlas reveal, that's the main twist in SS2 anyway, so I guess either/or would be acceptable

Okay, finished it off.

who recorded the soldier saying "NAH"? I mean, that was just ridiculous.

That moment cracked me up, it just came out of left field.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just got to the
Shodan
reveal. Now I've lost any desire to continue playing. I feel like it's all downhill from here.

The gameplay doesn't even get really good until Ops, though. That and Recreation, Command, and the Rickenbacker are basically what make System Shock 2 so damn good (Hydroponics was memorable too)

akira28

Shodan: L-Look at you hacker...A pathetic creature... I-it's not like I want you to upgrade my mainframe or anything. ;>_>

edit: a Bioshock:System Shock Conversion?

Bueno.

Lingitiz

Just finished this. I wasn't a huge fan of the later levels, but overall I really loved it. Its amazing how well the atmosphere has held up despite its age. Its been a while since I played such a compelling single player FPS. It'll definitely go down as one of my favorites of all time.

Purkake4

Banned
One thing that has probably helped it keep the atmosphere is the professional voicework, nothing will ruin your game faster than bored developers reading lines in the break room.

garath

So far I've been doing pretty good in the game but I just got to
the cargo holds
and I was roaming through one of them, it was all empty and there were the
droid storage units
all around not doing anything. Then when I found the keycard I was looking for
all of a sudden droids started coming out of the units, and other creatures appeared. I just hauled ass running past everything until I was safely out of the cargo hold.
lol. I kinda knew it was coming but it still shocked me. Now the completionist in me wants to go back in and clear it out :( I turned off the game for a bit lol.

Sub_Level

Shodan: L-Look at you hacker...A pathetic creature... I-it's not like I want you to upgrade my mainframe or anything. ;>_>

Shodan, your chipset is so intricate and the bus on your circuit board is beautiful!

S-stop saying stupid things like that you stupid hacker ;_; It's so embarrassing. This is my first time.

So far I've been doing pretty good in the game but I just got to
the cargo holds
and I was roaming through one of them, it was all empty and there were the
droid storage units
all around not doing anything. Then when I found the keycard I was looking for
all of a sudden droids started coming out of the units, and other creatures appeared. I just hauled ass running past everything until I was safely out of the cargo hold.
lol. I kinda knew it was coming but it still shocked me. Now the completionist in me wants to go back in and clear it out :( I turned off the game for a bit lol.

Armor Piercing ammo brah. Alternatively you can run from them.

PROTIP: In System Shock 2, you run noticeably faster diagonally than you can in a straight line. That's why if you watch speedruns of this game the player is never really running straight.

mrpeabody

One thing that has probably helped it keep the atmosphere is the professional voicework, nothing will ruin your game faster than bored developers reading lines in the break room.

The game has good voice acting and bad voice acting. Some of those voice logs do not sound like they were recorded by professionals.

The writing is uniformly strong though.

Purkake4

Banned
The game has good voice acting and bad voice acting. Some of those voice logs do not sound like they were recorded by professionals.

The writing is uniformly strong though.
Oh, of course. That fake French accent...

It's just pretty good for when it was actually made.

Sub_Level

Yeah, you definitely gotta take a procedural approach to it. It's probably the most satisfying Deck to explore because there's a lot of cool rooms and nooks and crannies.

Enjoy it because Deck 6 is Backtracking Deck.

derder

I wanna run through this game co-op with my friend before bioshock infinite comes out. How many hours are we looking at?

Clydefrog

Haha, Deck 6 really was the backtracking deck! Also, the little
floating Korenchkin
guy was easy-peasy. Currently making my way through the
Rickenbacker
and I think I’m almost done :( Fantastic game.

I wanna run through this game co-op with my friend before bioshock infinite comes out. How many hours are we looking at?

A friend and I bashed the game out in about six hours, but we'd both played it before so it'll probably take a little longer. Co op does make things a lot faster, though.

Clydefrog

yay I finally played and beat System Shock 2. so much fun! the game holds up well.

that ending!
LOL at "...nah". and poor tommy!!

What's the consensus on the ending? I did not like it. Completely cheesy.

Loved the rest of the game though. The atmosphere held up incredibly well.

Clydefrog

What's the consensus on the ending? I did not like it. Completely cheesy.

Loved the rest of the game though. The atmosphere held up incredibly well.

super cheesy. kinda weird because the entire game takes itself seriously. but i didn't really care..
so where is System Shock 3??

also, i didn't have to sit through a long Credits sequence after the ending. it went straight back to the Main Menu :lol was that supposed to happen?

super cheesy. kinda weird because the entire game takes itself seriously. but i didn't really care..
so where is System Shock 3??

also, i didn't have to sit through a long Credits sequence after the ending. it went straight back to the Main Menu :lol was that supposed to happen?

I guess it was supposed to. Same happened for me. Haha.

Purkake4

Banned
I always felt that it was more the Von Braun's (and Rickenbacker's) story than yours. Which is one thing that Bioshock actually fixed.

Arcteryx

lol I ran into some weird bug right away with my copy(never seen it before in all my prior SS2 replays). Guess a re-install is in my future.

Anyways, basically the wrench just flat out DOES NOT work. I stood in front of that little breakable glass "hidden" cubby towards the start of the game for ~10 minutes hitting it until it finally broke. Same goes for hybrids: I circle-strafed for ~5 minutes until it finally "connected" with the hitbox. Same goes for the monkeys, cameras, etc.

Reminds me of Trespasser :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've had the SS2
SHODAN reveal
spoiled for me a while back. Would the correlating portion of BioShock 1 be
"Would you kindly?"
?

Yes it is related. It is also related to the Atlas/Fontaine reveal. But it's mainly the former one, since you're being manipulated by characters into their doing who you think are benevolent, but they turn out to be bad guys.

Deadbeat

Banned
lol I ran into some weird bug right away with my copy(never seen it before in all my prior SS2 replays). Guess a re-install is in my future.

Anyways, basically the wrench just flat out DOES NOT work. I stood in front of that little breakable glass "hidden" cubby towards the start of the game for ~10 minutes hitting it until it finally broke. Same goes for hybrids: I circle-strafed for ~5 minutes until it finally "connected" with the hitbox. Same goes for the monkeys, cameras, etc.

Reminds me of Trespasser :(
Thats pretty weird. You are swinging when offset to the right of enemies, correct?

BadTaste

I'm getting the following error "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2". Then I had to reboot and the game won't launch at all now.

Gfx card HD 7850

Arcteryx

Thats pretty weird. You are swinging when offset to the right of enemies, correct?

Yep. I've tried pretty much everything and it just doesn't connect. Maybe one of the mods is conflicting. I will say it is kind of hilarious to witness. Gives it more of that "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" factor.

edit: did a full re-install, everything is working fine now. Guess it was a mod conflict somewhere

Sneds

People often praise SS2 but people seldom seem to mention the original SS. Does it hold up? Is it worth playing?

FACE

Banned
People often praise SS2 but people seldom seem to mention the original SS. Does it hold up? Is it worth playing?

SS1 was at least 10 years ahead of its time. The controls may be kinda weird if you're used to today's shooters, but if you can find it for a decent price I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Sneds

SS1 was at least 10 years ahead of its time. The controls may be kinda weird if you're used to today's shooters, but if you can find it for a decent price I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Thanks. There are mods available that seem to improve the controls so I think I'll give it a shot sometime soon.

antitrop

Whelp. I have committed to finishing this game before Bioshock Infinite comes out. I feel like I... Owe it to myself. How long can I expect?
I actually have a disc copy of SS1 lying around here somewhere. I distinctly remember picking it up in the CompUSA bargain bin for $10 in like 1996. Couldn't get into it, though.

This game looks great with all the mods and shit, really stands up and plays nicely with standard FPS controls. Also... I couldn't not pick the Marines. Oorah.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, I've got sidetracked by other games but I plan on returning to the game this weekend probably. I've got a bit further in Hydroponics and I guess 6 hours is enough to start judging it.

My opinion hasn't changed since my last attempt to finish it. As I've said a year ago or so it's just a technothriller in space. All your emotions come from trying to survive. When I was playing Bioshock half of fun came from trying to understand the place I was in. It's missing in System Shock 2 which is mostly gameplay-driven game. Yeah, the story is good, but it doesn't makes me intrigued that much. I don't really care about Many - they are just aliens which I had to kill. I mean I don't have to try to relate to them because they are aliens ffs (and Shodan is a piece of glitched software which should be deleted). They are just enemies albeit less generic than usual. In Bioshock I could relate to the most vile creatures of Rapture because they were still human or were humans once. And I certainly could relate to Andrew Ryan.

This element - when you can relate to your enemies - is totally missing from System Shock 2. It's just me vs them, so the setup is more boring from the beginning. Also there are no scenes like a woman cooing with the gun in her carriage, no codes being written backwards by the hand of the suffocating scientist and while the environment tries to tell the story it's just a space ship where people died in droves, so it's not that interesting setting by itself. But I guess if Ken had more money this "cinematic" stuff would be present in the game and he basically said this himself during BAFTA Q&A.

So I'm looking forward to Infinite the next week. I haven't decided if I should go with 1999 mode (I'm more inclined to play on Hard in my playthrough), but I'm curious - how would challenging difficulty may affect the perception of the story presented with modern graphics and high production values? Will it get in the way or not? I guess I'll see next week.

gdt

When I download the mods, like the texture one for example, I extract into the DataPermMods folder, but I don't put the original 7z file in there with the extracts right?

Purkake4

Banned
This element - when you can relate to your enemies - is totally missing from System Shock 2. It's just me vs them, so the setup is more boring from the beginning. Also there are no scenes like a woman cooing with the gun in her carriage, no codes being written backwards by the hand of the suffocating scientist and while the environment tries to tell the story it's just a space ship where people died in droves, so it's not that interesting setting by itself. But I guess if Ken had more money this "cinematic" stuff would be present in the game and he basically said this himself during BAFTA Q&A.
I'd completely disagree with that. I don't know how far into the game you are, but I found it fully possible to sympathize with the Many by the end. Pay attention to the telepathic messages you get from them every now and then. And when you consider the whole series even SHODAN is a victim in her own way.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'd completely disagree with that. I don't know how far into the game you are, but I found it fully possible to sympathize with the Many by the end. Pay attention to the telepathic messages you get from them every now and then. And when you consider the whole series even SHODAN is a victim in her own way.

Well, when I finish the game I'll get back to you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So there was one issue to fix with New Dark 2.4 and neither company could do it? Last night was pretty fucking depressing trying to get 4 player co-op to work.

Top Bottom