• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
By the way, has anyone played any of the fan missions here? Are any of them truly worthwhile?

I know there are great Thief fan missions but I've not heard of any for System Shock 2. I didn't know they can be made.

Max

I am not Max
No response from Gabe when asking about the Steam release

Probably because I told him to nerf Tusk in Dota 2

Yeah the effect is really quite subtle, which makes it far better, and yea I'm about to get to the second ship.

This totally makes up for me skipping Dead Space 3, also it's put me in the mood to play Thief again once it's over.

Beat this game a little earlier today, played for like 7 hours straight couldn't put it down. The thing that stood out the most is probably how mechanically fun the engine is. Glad I finally beat it, but for some reason I get the feeling that I did play this when it came out, I just didn't remember. Sounds crazy but I started to remember it near the end.

lotrfan

Neo Member
By the way, has anyone played any of the fan missions here? Are any of them truly worthwhile?

I know there are great Thief fan missions but I've not heard of any for System Shock 2. I didn't know they can be made.

Ponterbee station is part 1 of 3 and it is the best (all 3 that is ) imo. Basically it is like SS3 in that it is a story with dialog and all and ties with the events of SS2. The voiceovers may not be the best but they were done by fans. The fan mission was done by Christine who prior to these had done plenty of fan missions for the Thief series.

I started FMProov 1.2 but never got to finish it. Was good but it is a real survival mode (very low on resources). I also liked SS2 Blaydes99 RttUNN but don't remember much of it other than playing it. Can't comment on the rest.

Life got in the way quite a bit this past week, so only got back to this game today.

I actually found it hard to get back into. I'm usually a total wimp when it comes to anything remotely scary (I keep trying Doom 3, Cryostasis, but I can't do it) so I was surprised when I was OK with SS2 when I started playing. Coming back to it though, it was just... unsettling. I wasn't scared, just creeped out and uncomfortable. I realise that's the point, but it just made me want to turn it off and play Rayman or something! :) I mean I just got through to med, and Xerxes came over the PA talking about 'The Many', and hearing those goddamn monkeys somewhere nearby... FUCK.

Having said all that, It's pretty great so I'll keep playing, but it's going to be very short spurts here and there, unless I get a good run during daylight hours and/or grow some balls.

garath

Playing this for the first time ever. Installed the enhanced object texture mod but other than that, leaving it alone. Starting pure psi, will see how far that gets me. Game seems like a wonderful mix of dead space and BioShock. Thanks for this thread. Really helpful getting the game going. :)

Velti

Neo Member
Playing this for the first time ever. Installed the enhanced object texture mod but other than that, leaving it alone. Starting pure psi, will see how far that gets me. Game seems like a wonderful mix of dead space and BioShock. Thanks for this thread. Really helpful getting the game going. :)

I REALLY recommend the hi-res skybox textures, ie: stars in the viewport. Otherwise every time you look out a window it looks like someone smeared their dysentery on the sky.

wrowa

So far I can't get myself to invest any points in PSI abilities... I'd actually really like to since I love the concept of it, but at the same time most abilities don't seem to be terribly useful.

garath

So far I can't get myself to invest any points in PSI abilities... I'd actually really like to since I love the concept of it, but at the same time most abilities don't seem to be terribly useful.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that too. Not so many useful skills. I'm rethinking my choices and might reroll as Navy.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Still going as psi and not giving a shit. Regenerate myself to hell and back.
I've read the guide though before improving my skills.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Psi is an all-or-nothing type deal. Go all in or just don't go.

garath

So just to not waste my time too much I've been reading some character FAQs. I do think I'm going to abandon my PSI only char and go with something more standard. Too many psi powers aren't too handy and it looks like the guns are very potent. I'm probably not going to play the game more than once and I tend to be a min/max type person. I love character building and want to get the most out of it.

lotrfan

Neo Member
So just to not waste my time too much I've been reading some character FAQs. I do think I'm going to abandon my PSI only char and go with something more standard. Too many psi powers aren't too handy and it looks like the guns are very potent. I'm probably not going to play the game more than once and I tend to be a min/max type person. I love character building and want to get the most out of it.

Psi is harder at the beginning but makes the end levels too easy. There are many useful abilities though some may be redundant or not as great as others especially considering the cybernetic modules cost.

My favorites are: Kinetic Redirection, Projected Cryokinesis, Adrenaline Overproduction, Cerebro-stimulated Regeneration, Psychogenic Strength, Recursive Psionic Amplification, Localized Pyrokinesis, Projected Pyrokinesis, Photonic Redirection, Cerebro-energetic Extension, Soma Transference, Metacreative Barrier, Imposed Neural Restructuring, External Psionic Detonation, Psycho-reflective Aura.

Localized Pyrokinesis is a great deterrent against sneak attacks and the monkeys plus it aids melee. Plus it adds a protection against (minor possible spoiler)
any fire damage like the exploding droids.

Photonic Redirection is just legal cheating at this point (invisibility) .

Cerebro-energetic Extension: in conjunction to all the strength and psi modifiers this is the deadliest melee weapon in the game.

Metacreative Barrier: Really strong and lasts a long time.

The key is to not waste modules on just any useful power but to prioritize and conserve modules for the higher tier ones. Of course this depends on your play style.

lotrfan

Neo Member
I'm thinking about upgrading but I'd prefer dumping more points in PSI.

Cerebro-energetic Extension: in conjunction to all the strength and psi modifiers makes it the deadliest melee weapon in the game. Or just spend a little into the Crystal shard which is the next best melee weapon. The rapier is not bad but I can’t think of spending that much modules into the energy skill just for that. If my character was energy specialized then it becomes the obvious choice.

subversus

Cerebro-energetic Extension: in conjunction to all the strength and psi modifiers makes it the deadliest melee weapon in the game. Or just spend a little into the Crystal shard which is the next best melee weapon. The rapier is not bad but I can’t think of spending that much modules into the energy skill just for that. If my character was energy specialized then it becomes the obvious choice.

yes, that's what I'm thinking too.

subversus

ok, GAF, so I finally got down to Hydroponics but decided to go to med-sci and upgrade myself first.

51 modules and a pure psi character with hacker focus. That does mean I use no weapons at all except the wrench and this ball which looks like Sputnik.

So the choice boils down to:

1)upgrade hacking to 4 to hack turrets + upgrade to level 3 PSI.
2)upgrade to level 3 PSI and pick projected pyrokinesis + (maaay be) molecular duplication or psionic hypogenesis.
3)upgrade to level 4 PSI and wait for another cybermodule giveaway.

I'm thinking about going with 3) but 2) looks tempting... Also 1) makes sense because I hack a lot.

lotrfan

Neo Member
ok, GAF, so I finally got down to Hydroponics but decided to go to med-sci and upgrade myself first.

51 modules and a pure psi character with hacker focus. That does mean I use no weapons at all except the wrench and this ball which looks like Sputnik.

So the choice boils down to:

1)upgrade hacking to 4 to hack turrets + upgrade to level 3 PSI.
2)upgrade to level 3 PSI and pick projected pyrokinesis + (maaay be) molecular duplication or psionic hypogenesis.
3)upgrade to level 4 PSI and wait for another cybermodule giveaway.

I'm thinking about going with 3) but 2) looks tempting... Also 1) makes sense because I hack a lot.

Those tiers do cost a lot of modules. Having the hack skill already I would choose 1. I forgot how much tier 4 costs but you know you can skip level 3 and just go to 4 right? I tend to skip tier 3 in favor of 4 for Photonic Redirection and then choose 3 later. Don’t forget Localized Pyrokinesis if you don’t have it already.

subversus

What OS upgrades would you recommend?

These decisions are the best part of the game so far.

garath

This game is fun. It's not nearly as "scary" (I put that in quotes) as something like Dead Space was to me. It's missing the lighting effects, the realistic looking models, creepy music (gogo techno!) but the game is pretty tense. Computer voice talking to you, dead bodies everywhere, guys hung from the rafters, mobs popping up at the worst times.

I love the systems. I just got to the first OS upgrade. Going back to the maintenance shaft. Put some points into hacking, have that up to 3. Standard weapons up to 2. Strength up to 3 (need more inventory!). Tip of the iceberg.

From someone who never played the system shock series, it's like Dead Space and Bioshock had an ugly, but infinitely more charming baby.

subversus

This game is fun. It's not nearly as "scary" (I put that in quotes) as something like Dead Space was to me. It's missing the lighting effects, the realistic looking models, creepy music (gogo techno!) but the game is pretty tense. Computer voice talking to you, dead bodies everywhere, guys hung from the rafters, mobs popping up at the worst times.

With System Shock IP rights being out of the limbo who knows what future holds for us. I mean a year ago nobody could even imagine this game on GOG with full Win 7 compatibility. For me the half of the game's "charm" is its sound landscape. It's extremely unsettling. I mean I almost cringe when I hear machinery running. The sound is almost palpable. I was standing near the first upgrade station yesterday when a car was driving by my house and the sound of its engine was interweaving with the game's sound and it became so unbearable that I muted the game for a while. Bioshock painted its environment with art, System Shock 2 does with sound. I hate Engineering deck, the area that leads to cargo bays in particular. This droning background noise wrecks my nerves.

The other half is its RPG elements. I really have to think about what I upgrade first. Nothing particularly spectacular about level design so far.

lotrfan

Neo Member
What OS upgrades would you recommend?

These decisions are the best part of the game so far.

I always get these OS upgrades:

Cybernetically enhanced: an extra cybernetic implant slot (not inventory slot)
Pharmo friendly: increase benefit of all hypos so health and psi will last longer (very important for psi users especially on harder difficulties).

I choose from these depending on my profession/playstyle.
For melee bonuses: lethal weapon and smasher
Sharpshooter: when using weapons

This one is useful but you need to weigh its benefits against the rest:
Replicator expert: can help a PSI user as it makes hypos cost less at the replicators. The bonus is added to the hacked machine bonus too.

For the rest some are good and others are a waste considering you get the same benefit from something else. But for OSA I think the ones I listed are the better ones.

Note: The Power Psi OS upgrade will eliminate the PSI burnout (when you wait too long to cast the power) but with careful timing you can avoid the burnout thus making this not so great.

RedSwirl

It's been about 10 years since I last played it, but as I recall:
ENDING SPOILERS
But of course she had already cloned herself in that lady's head so...we'll find out in the sequ- :'[

Yeah how did that happen exactly? I can't remember how.

FACE

Banned
I just made it to the
Rickenbacker
. How much longer do I have to go roughly?

Late game spoilers:
If I recall correctly, the Rickenbacker is significantly smaller than the Von Braun. So it won't be long until you finish.

subversus

phew, I think that's enough. Last time I dropped it at cargo bays, this time I'm dropping it Hydroponycs. Too scary and hard. Survival horror is not my thing. If it had more action focus then may be I'd finish it. Or if I could make somebody to play it in co-op with me...

Based on this experience I won't buy new Amnesia games too.

edit: oh wait, there is an easy mode. Now we talking.

It's kind of lame that once you know the game well the scariness diminishes substantially. You still get startled a bit, but if you understand builds and equipment you can stay several steps ahead of the opposition for most of the game.

subversus

Default mini games are so shitty that I had to resort to my iPhone games during the research. So meta.

subversus

fuck this shit, I rerolled as Navy on normal. No weapons playthrough failed. Go for it only for pure survival horror experience. You'll feel like you are playing Amnesia except dying here sucks.

Also why the fuck there is no exit from the pool in Hydroponics? Kill me with some toxin if you were too lazy/didn't have time to make an exit from there. It's just bad design.

Santiako

fuck this shit, I rerolled as Navy on normal. No weapons playthrough failed. Go for it only for pure survival horror experience. You'll feel like you are playing Amnesia except dying here sucks.

Also why the fuck there is no exit from the pool in Hydroponics? Kill me with some toxin if you were too lazy/didn't have time to make an exit from there. It's just bad design.

Can't you get out by holding the jump button near the edge?

Man the fucking
Garden area. That shit was just horrifying, and the music made it so damn creepy.

I guess I'm getting near the end. Really loving it, sans the "Find 3 cards and 3 terminals!" quests, which it seems to have at least one of on every deck.

lotrfan

Neo Member

What pool? I can think of three areas with water in hydroponics and all three you can get out of.

Sorry the no weapons play didn’t work for you. Why not just try the OSA with a standard gun? That way you still experience the full potential of OSA.

What pool? I can think of three areas with water in hydroponics and all three you can get out of.
Sorry the no weapons play didn’t work for you. Why not just try the OSA with a standard gun? That way you still experience the full potential of OSA.

Hit space bar and hold it down to climb out of those pools... this action/ability is explained in the training tutorial at the beginning of the game.

SS2 invented the ledge grab... not Crysis

subversus

actually I'm currently fiddling with my old OSA build because I forgot that I've upgraded it to INVISIBILITY like one hour of playtime ago and haven't used it once. It changes things. But if I have to upgrade guns I'll have to upgrade maintenance too. Too many points to spend.

The game is piss easy with guns compared to wrench-only build.

lotrfan

Neo Member
actually I'm currently fiddling with my old OSA build because I forgot that I've upgraded it to INVISIBILITY like one hour of playtime ago and haven't used it once. It changes things. But if I have to upgrade guns I'll have to upgrade maintenance too. Too many points to spend.

The game is piss easy with guns compared to wrench-only build.

True but OSA only (with wrench) is doable too. Invisibility will get you out of many situations. Also get Localized Pyrokinesis if you haven’t already. In combination with invisibility very little can stand in you r way.

Do you know about the recycler you can get on deck 4? It can be used to recycle all the items you don’t use like bullets, plants, magazines etc. It converts them into nanites that in turn you can use to buy more psi hypos.

I'm at the first O/S upgrade machine. Does Lethal Weapon increase wrench damage or should I choose Sharpshooter? On Normal difficulty.

I want to kill myself...i'm near the end of the game and accidently quicksaved right before i died. 5 hours down the drain.

To all you pc gamers: is there any fucking way to fix this? If not, I don't think I will ever finish this gem...

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
Did the GOG release fix any multiplayer crashes? Last time I tried to LAN the game people would desynch before every bulkhead. Was very annoying having to load a game every 20 minutes or so.

Top Bottom