• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

Eusis

It really is disappointing to hear of how they changed it. They could've struck a better middleground I'm sure, and to be honest they could've done worse (CoD, or more likely Halo-esque game with fancy powers anyone?), but it's disheartening how more complex designs seem to get squashed down for the sake of the LCD. See how Infinite turns out in contrast I guess.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
By the way I just realized that I have Cryostasis in my Steam library. Now everyone in this thread who hasn't played the demo and like the game we're discussing here should try Cryostasis. You'll thank me later (probably).

FACE

Banned
By the way I just realized that I have Cryostasis in my Steam library. Now everyone in this thread who hasn't played the demo and like the game we're discussing here should try Cryostasis. You'll thank me later (probably).

It's a good game if you can handle the jank and the awful framerates.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
For extra scary shut off the music. Then you have nothing but the amazing sound design working to scare the crap out of you without all the completely misplaced thumping techno beats.

I think the Rebirth Mod does that as an auto setting for you.

Bagu

Beat the game on Hard the other night. With just a pair of EMP grenades, SHODAN went down in less time than it took to load the save file.

Santiako

Finished the game yesterday for the first time since 2002. The game is still as amazing and the ending is still as hilarious as it was back then.

subversus

Cargo Bays are plain annoying without weapons. Considering doing weapons upgrade. But then I'll have to put points into repair and maintenance. Ugh. Still I think I if I turn off security in command center and run past all droids and robots I'll get the keycard and will use it on the right door.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm normally a fan of eurojank since those games are usually filled with rampant creativity and huge feature lists that should've been trimmed but Cryostasis never managed to impress me on that regard...

I think I played like two hours maybe, so perhaps it gets better?

subversus

I'm normally a fan of eurojank since those games are usually filled with rampant creativity and huge feature lists that should've been trimmed but Cryostasis never managed to impress me on that regard...

I think I played like two hours maybe, so perhaps it gets better?

Have you experienced "cows" section?

Macmanus

I trust the people in this thread so I must confess and then ask:

I haven't played more than a couple of hours of any Thief game. Steam has it on sale. Which one should I pick up? Don't bother saying all - because I'm not going to play more than one. I'm looking for the most modern to keep me immersed, but if the previous two are significantly better than I'm game.

Also are their updates to the Steam versions similar to the SS2 mods?

I haven't played more than a couple of hours of any Thief game. Steam has it on sale. Which one should I pick up? Don't bother saying all - because I'm not going to play more than one. I'm looking for the most modern to keep me immersed, but if the previous two are significantly better than I'm game.

I don't think any of them come with any particular updates, but you should be good to install any mods you come across. Steam is really bad when it comes to doing stuff to improve the old games they sell, I've made it a policy to only go to GOG for games that aren't from the past five years.

As far as recommendations I'd say Thief 2: The Metal Age myself. The other two are great though, particularly the original.

Thief 2 is an amazing game, although it can be really finicky to get running these days, especially on the raw Steam versions that don't have any update work.

Just finished SS2 for the first time in years, ending is still dumb as ever but man I love the game so much. Installing Bioshock now, SS2 has rekindled my -shock itch.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've never played Thief 2 (my PC couldn't run it back in the day :p) but Thief 1 was amazing. One of the first few games that blew my mind graphically (lighting and shadow, models I think were atrocious even back then) and mechanically (water arrows were just beyond belief for little zky :p).

Thief Deadly Shadows isn't so bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first game, it's just one of those cases of console limitations really crippling a game's ambitions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think any of them come with any particular updates, but you should be good to install any mods you come across. Steam is really bad when it comes to doing stuff to improve the old games they sell, I've made it a policy to only go to GOG for games that aren't from the past five years.

As far as recommendations I'd say Thief 2: The Metal Age myself. The other two are great though, particularly the original.

That's funny because the Steam version of Thief is file for file the same as GOG's! They both use old darkengine fix. Both need the new patches that came out with the SS2.4 patch.

Just got to Hydroponics, going to have to agree with turning down the music a tad, lol. Game is like sci-fi thief which is pretty awesome, enjoying all the audio logs, and really loving it so far. Every time I start playing it, there goes another 3 hours or more, it's addicting. Can't believe I never played it back then.

Velti

Neo Member
WHELP. First playthrough in progress.

I know it doesn't really matter, but as soon as I figure out how, I'm going to mod in a female protagonist. Hallelujah for all those hires texture mods! It really makes a difference to be able to look out the viewport and not see some sort of yellow smear that's supposed to represent a nebula.

As far as fear goes.. there are times when I'm definitely tense, but there have been very few times so far when I could say I was afraid. The lines of the infected are well done, and some of the audio logs are pretty intriguing. A lot of the tension has gone down for me now that the elevators are working and I've got quick access to the med cots and modded myself up enough to use the shotty and laser gun. Unless I do something stupid, they take care of things pretty quickly. It helps that I work the corridors like a one person SWAT team, running and sneaking and leaning around every corner, coordinating pellet and rifle ammo for infected and midwives... Bitches ain't gonna get the drop on me.

I haven't bothered learning any PSI stuff. Am I missing out? Seems like a massive credit sink.

Even though it's annoying, I get a kick out of doing the research and collecting the right chemicals.

I think my biggest problem is that I played Bioshock first, so a lot of this feels "recycled" even though it predates Bioshock. The mechanics, certain story elements, the ghosts, nearly everything. Again, not the game's fault.

And groping around to find Sanger's log was a crappy experience- I had to cheat in order to find that. How the crap baskets was I supposed to find that on my own? Do a grid search of every shadow?

I mean, I'm enjoying it... I played WAY too long today, but I'm not getting the crazy insane wow factor everyone's playing up. I blame you guys for raising my expectations too high!

FYI - I'm schlepping around in Hydroponics. And I'm pretty sure I know who Dr. Poutini (I kill me) really is. What really intrigues me is the why and how. Hm.

Finding the "sweet spot" from which to attack your enemies with the wrench while sustaining minimum damage has earned a smirk, also. Whaling on those bigger robots earlier with the wrench was kind of hilarious.

subversus

I think my biggest problem is that I played Bioshock first, so a lot of this feels "recycled" even though it predates Bioshock. The mechanics, certain story elements, the ghosts, nearly everything. Again, not the game's fault.

yeah, people who played SS2 has it the other way round but I understand you :)

subversus

almost done with engineering. I use agility a lot and just run from robots I can't fight yet. Full psi all the way.

Had to resort to respawn in reconstruction chambers. They are vital here, I was able to complete Bioshock without using Vita Chambers at all.

I might give it another shot someday, if you say it's worth it, I do have a soft spot for earstern european games.

be prepared to become a vegetarian for some time

edit: my saved games.

shock22013-02-2218-15h4okt.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just finished the game, I had so little ammo at the end but it was just about enough, thankfully!

The ending is kind of bad but it wasn't bad enough to sour the whole thing. Bring on System Bioshock (please).

I wonder if Infinity's 1999 mode will feel anywhere near close to this, depending on your character build of course.

Now I'm playing Thief Gold and Thief II. For the first time I passed the boring second mission in the latter, the next one is much better. Thief Gold's second (or whichever, zombies in a maze like catacombs area) mission is pretty bad too though.

I love this engine now, were there any more good games using it?

Clydefrog

Cargo Bays are plain annoying without weapons. Considering doing weapons upgrade. But then I'll have to put points into repair and maintenance. Ugh. Still I think I if I turn off security in command center and run past all droids and robots I'll get the keycard and will use it on the right door.

I found a way to not get hurt when the droids explode near you. It's works like 25% of the time so I just keep quickloading. lol I always ruin games...

you should start putting points into energy. i found an energy melee wep that is pretty outstanding but requires 4 points of skill

wrowa

Stupid question incoming, but do I need to carry around the stuff I've successfully researched or can I throw it away as soon as the research process is completed?

Also, are the magazines that are lying around good for something or can I get rid of them?

Oh, and while am at it: Is there any benefit in drinking alcohol? You regain HP but lose some psi points, that's all there is to it? I'm still early in the game and so far the payoff doesn't seem to be worth it.

Alexios

Throw the research items away. Well, unless they're items you can use of course. Ie, throw away the enemy weakness research items, keep the items that you can use similar to psi and med hypos. But I guess you have none of the latter yet.

If you get the recycler (way way later if you ever do) magazines can be used with it but for too little benefit iirc.

Edit: I forget, some enemy research bits might be used with the recycler too.

And yes, that's it about alcohol. If you don't use psi powers then you use it to regain a bit of hp, but again it's usually too little.

They're just random items you can interact with to make the world a little more realized, not super useful but still nice.

Bagu

Stupid question incoming, but do I need to carry around the stuff I've successfully researched or can I throw it away as soon as the research process is completed?

Also, are the magazines that are lying around good for something or can I get rid of them?

Oh, and while am at it: Is there any benefit in drinking alcohol? You regain HP but lose some psi points, that's all there is to it? I'm still early in the game and so far the payoff doesn't seem to be worth it.
You can drop the organs.
Magazines don't do anything as far as I know.
Unless you're using psionics, there's no reason not to drink it on the spot.

It may be because your lap top is set to "power saver" mode. Set it to the least efficient mode and see if that helps. I've had to that with a couple older games.

The Laptop was set to Balance mode. I tried changing it to Advanced, but no luck. Still getting the same thing.

I am having no other issues with any other GoG games :(

lotrfan

Neo Member
There is an easy way to not take any damage from an exploding droid (any fire damage actually). You need
Localised Pyrokinesis from level 2 OSA powers
. While it doesn't say so in its description it will protect you from the explosion.

Macmanus

So according to the OP, we should not play this game with any of the graphics mods?

Personally I prefer the graphics mods. I think they add a lot more than they take away.

If you're not going into this game with nostalgia goggles, definitely upgrade dem graphics.

Alexios

So according to the OP, we should not play this game with any of the graphics mods?
What OP did you read? It's mostly just Rebirth that is adviced against, the updated character models, which alter the atmosphere and don't even look that good anyway. SHTUP (object textures) and Four Hundred (world textures) are faithful to the original and fine to use. Mods like Tacticool are good too, updating the weapon models, but they're a bit inconsistent since not all weapons are updated like that even after you find a few more by other authors. Using bloom etc is neat too.

Holy shit is it just me or, I don't really think this is a spoiler but ....
shodan's face is in the static which you switch the digital paintings!!!!

Super nice touch, almost done with the game I think.

Bumhead

Banned
Made it to the Rickenbacker.

Feel like I'm approaching the end game. Anyone know roughly how far I am from the end in an estimate of hours?

Holy shit is it just me or, I don't really think this is a spoiler but ....
shodan's face is in the static which you switch the digital paintings!!!!

Super nice touch, almost done with the game I think.

Waiiiiit... does the updated texture pack ruin this effect? I don't remember seeing that. It's been years since I played the original but I definitely remember it happening then.

Playing BioShock after System Shock 2 really makes me pine for SS2's inventory system and RPG stats, not to mention the better difficulty. I hope 1999 mode in Infinite is good.

Alexios

No, the texture pack doesn't mess with that, it's just too subtle, possibly not visible from some angles/distances.

PaulloDEC

I had to stop playing this after the fourth or fifth time I was killed by mutants spawning in behind me while I was trying to do something. Pretty annoying. Hopefully I'll find the will to move past it and keep playing.

Alexios

What were you trying to do that stopped you from reacting to the attack before getting killed? The game doesn't really demand much in the way of player skill and any menu based function like hacking can be closed instantly. Plus, it doesn't take long to learn and anticipate scripted attacks that may occur at objective points. Not that you'll always guess right but at least you learn to go in places cautiously and not get preoccupied with other stuff before making sure things are safe. The random spawns rarely cause issues since they tend to be in the areas the enemies were first encountered in and usually take quite a while to occur. The only spawning issues I had made sense since they had to do with me triggering alarms, so that was all on me, before I figured out it's best to run toward one of the many 100% safe areas until the alarm is disabled, otherwise more enemies will keep coming as they're killed. Anyway, I thought enemies coming directly for me with the sparse scripted attack scenarios was a nice change of pace from the usual capability to anticipate and prepare well for each and every encounter.

PaulloDEC

What were you trying to do that stopped you from reacting to the attack before getting killed? The game doesn't really demand much in the way of player skill and any menu based gameplay like hacking can be closed instantly. Plus, it doesn't take long to learn and anticipate scripted attacks that may occur at objective points. Not that you'll always guess right but at least you learn to go in places cautiously and not get preoccupied with other stuff before making sure things are safe. The random spawns rarely cause issues since they tend to spawn in the areas the enemies were first encountered in. The only spawning issues I had made sense since they had to do with me triggering alarms, so that was on me, not bad game design.

Stuff in the menus usually, i.e. looting bodies, checking out what I've collected from them, re-arranging inventory etc. I'm very careful to clear rooms and surrounding rooms before I take my eyes off the combat area, so I was pretty surprised to find myself quickly assaulted by more than one assailant who couldn't possibly have come from anywhere but out of thin air in the time available.

I'm still very, very early in the game, so I'm not too quick with the controls yet.

Alexios

I can't remember many scripted spawn attacks early on, are you sure you didn't trigger an alarm (which also usually doesn't spawn the enemies right on top of you but makes it as if they're coming from a nearby area) or miss a wandering enemy (some of their paths go beyond certain doors, closing behind them like they do for you, etc)? I only recall two particular cases with two shotgun hybrids spawning at objective points but neither was in a way that could get the player surprise killed as one happens in front of you and the other they can't reach you until you backtrack. Both had audio warnings.

Random spawns shouldn't be like that either, in the first areas at least you should have enough time to carefully explore everything and progress the objectives before even the first enemy has had time to respawn and when they do respawn it should be in the generic hallways, not in a particular place or room you'd want to hang around in for long enough. Basically the random respawns mostly repopulate areas while you're away for some time so that when you need to backtrack for another objective, story or personal, it's not necessarily safe but always a potential risk like the first time you went through.

Top Bottom