• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

Bumhead

Banned
Engineering is absolutely destroying me. Just too much back tracking past nightmarish areas of turrets, hybrids and those damn robots.

Just
activated the fluidics
. Not sure where to go from here, mind.

It's interesting how little core mechanics carry through years and games: having played Bioshock first I chuckle everytime I get by a Replicator, Bio-reconstructor or Datapad. It's like Obsidian and their stories with memory loss (Planescape, Mask of the betrayer, KOTOR 2).

Levine and whoever worked on this know what's what. Now I start to understand why this game and its creator are so much praised.

Bumhead

Banned
It's interesting how little core mechanics carry through years and games: having played Bioshock first I chuckle everytime I get by a Replicator, Bio-reconstructor or Datapad. It's like Obsidian and their stories with memory loss (Planescape, Mask of the betrayer, KOTOR 2).

Levine and whoever worked on this know what's what. Now I start to understand why this game and its creator are so much praised.

I'm having a very similar experience.

One thing I am finding is that the game is making me feel stupid. Dark Souls aside, this is the most unrelenting game I've played in a long time, for all the right reasons. I'm a couple of hours in and have just realised there isn't an objective marker anywhere in sight, which is quite the revelation after being exposed to today's games for so long.

I'd be really interested to re-play BioShock after this, and of course to see what else if anything has carried through again to BioShock Infinite.

Coolant Tubes is my favorite song. I've heard it goes by other names, though?

This piece by Josh Randall is pretty cool. He did some of the game's music. He and Eric Brosius both went on to work at Harmonix, y'know, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Dance Central wizards.

By default, strafe is bound to q and e.

I made keybindings so things are more normal. They're in the OP.

Everything I did, I think, explains who she is in System Shock 1. I think the game loses just a tinge of its excellence if you don't come into System Shock 2 knowing precisely who SHODAN is. That way, you're always on edge, knowing what she had done last time. This is like Moriarty's return.

SHODAN is System Shock. Going into System Shock 2 without knowing who SHODAN is renders it kind of pointless.

What I'd give for a villain half as good as SHODAN in Bioshock Infinite.

Also, I figured seeing her face plastered everywhere was a good reason to say something about her.

I think a better, if more crass, topic title selling point to the uninitiated would be to reference Bioshock.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There's something more than a little surreal about browsing rockpapershotgun and seeing this reskin ad, in 2013:

rpsss2.png

DocSeuss

cool, cool, thanks. buying it now.

EDIT: WHOA, comes with pictures and a soundtrack?? love GoG....

Yup, I mentioned everything it includes in the OP. It's got maps, in case you get lost.

No need to quote me, just put some stuff under useful links or something.

Like.

SS2 tool - patching utility that ensures you have the latest and most compatible version of System Shock 2.

SS2 mods - list of some major mods and tweaks which improve or alter various aspects of the game.

In the case of the latter you could copy paste the actual list and link to each mod thread instead.

Or whatever.

Alright! Will probably do that tomorrow.

I'm having a very similar experience.

One thing I am finding is that the game is making me feel stupid. Dark Souls aside, this is the most unrelenting game I've played in a long time, for all the right reasons. I'm a couple of hours in and have just realised there isn't an objective marker anywhere in sight, which is quite the revelation after being exposed to today's games for so long.

I'd be really interested to re-play BioShock after this, and of course to see what else if anything has carried through again to BioShock Infinite.

You'll very likely love the hell out of STALKER, then.

There's something more than a little surreal about browsing rockpapershotgun and seeing this reskin ad, in 2013:

O_O

That is the most awesome thing.

Bumhead

Banned
You'll very likely love the hell out of STALKER, then.

I have STALKER in my library, actually.

For some masochistic reason I decided to start playing The Witcher 2 and System Shock 2 at around the same time, but when I'm done with both of them I have STALKER lined up as my next game.

noffles

Banned
I'm getting an issue on all resolutions where I'm getting no picture bar from a tiny square in the top left hand corner of my screen.

Anyone else had this issue? I've not even started the game yet, here. :l

DocSeuss

I have STALKER in my library, actually.

For some masochistic reason I decided to start playing The Witcher 2 and System Shock 2 at around the same time, but when I'm done with both of them I have STALKER lined up as my next game.

At some point, I should just get my STALKER mod folder up and running so everyone can download from it.

Should I play system shock 1 first?

This question has been asked so many times, I should probably put it in the OP in my update tomorrow.

One of the greatest games ever made and contains one of the greatest villains ever conceived. System Shock 2 is required reading for any and all who call themselves a gamer.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ok GAF, convince me : I'm an awful person who couldn't stomach finishing Deus Ex, playing it for the first time sometime 2012. I have nothing against old games per se but when playing 3D-games from late 90s early 00s my brain just fries for some reason. Even if I can reminisce to the days where Thief II blew away my balls with its awesomeness I still don't think I could stomach that game today.

Am I a monster who shouldn't bother with SS2?

Ok GAF, convince me : I'm an awful person who couldn't stomach finishing Deus Ex, playing it for the first time sometime 2012. I have nothing against old games per se but when playing 3D-games from late 90s early 00s my brain just fries for some reason. Even if I can reminisce to the days where Thief II blew away my balls with its awesomeness I still don't think I could stomach that game today.

if you couldn't stand do sex then you won't like this either

FACE

Banned

Yes Corky, you are a terrible human being.

FACE

Banned
Again, mind you I'm not talking about the game itself - just how certain 3D-games look and play from that fraction of time in game-space.

I can understand not playing a mediocre game because it has terrible graphics. I cannot understand not playing two of the greatest games ever released because their looks are dated.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, I can see Deus Ex's clunky mechanics making it not enjoyable at a core level for some. The same goes for the awful combat in Torment which might make others not play through it. The Thief games however doesn't really suffer from that. System Shock 2 doesn't either. It doesn't have modern or complex shooting mechanics with iron sights or whatever else but at the same time it's easy to use and solid enough even without the stats that reduce recoil and what not. The rest of the gameplay is fine, it wouldn't really be done better in a modern game. It's just exploration with mostly standard FPS controls, really, and some inventory and stat management on top. I guess it could be better balanced but it's fine. The graphics are ok.

Bumhead

Banned

In my opinion, System Shock 2 holds up really well.

Download the texture update and you shouldn't have a problem. The character models are a bit blocky and there's sort of solid, hard edged late-90's look to everything, but the overall world and textures look good.

Kenka

Corky, if there is one game you should play your entire life, it's this one.

System Shock is a haunting experience.

Pakkidis

After beating the game multiple times, my preference is soldier with assault rifle(standard) . It is the safest choice in terms of character building. Drop point into hacking and maintain. I would not recommend the "psi' build route. A lot of the skills are terrible. Focus on Str and AGI, then perhaps the others. Avoid PSI like the plaque. This is the safest and IMO the best route to play the game, anything else and you will have a difficult time.

Enjoy the game, on of the best gaming experiences on the PC.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I can handle this and Thief just fine. Deus Ex I gave up on though. For $10, it's worth a gamble, Corky.

Speaking of Thief, I really love the way this engine feels, by the way. There is this weird but awesome floaty movement to it all. Don't really understand how it works so well, how it feels so good, but it does. It's fantastic.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Yep, this game is still fantastic and holds up really well for a game in its teens.

I tried this game seven or eight years ago and didn't get too far into it (up to some place pretty early where I kept getting killed by robots, maybe cargo bays?) and got stuck but it was enjoyable up to that point.

Upon getting this yesterday, I was worried that time wouldn't be kind to it, but it is still one of the most engrossing games I've played in a long time. A whole lot about this game still holds up (and even excels!) by today's standards.

I played it for a solid 2 1/2 hours yesterday and made it back to the cargo holds, which is where I stopped last time I played it. I'm pretty well equipped at the moment, with plenty of health and rad hypos and a pistol and shotgun with several dozen rounds each, along with light armor and a rad suit, and ~350 nanites to boot. I'm sure that won't last though...

At some point, I should just get my STALKER mod folder up and running so everyone can download from it.

That would be much appreciated.

While I'm no modding novice, I always seek out and prefer packages of mods that have been tested by someone familiar with that game instead of seeking out and installing individual mods, because each games has a different process of how to mod it.

The giant mod pack for SS2 was a much smoother process than installing them individually, even if that process didn't seem too tough.

I've been meaning to get back into STALKER with mods, and a deeper collection would be really cool to use.

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm.

How do I research the toxin in Hydroponics? I have 3 vials, but it says I need an Antimony (sb) to fully research it. How do I do this, and where do I get the Antimony?

Kurod

Banned
Hmm.

How do I research the toxin in Hydroponics? I have 3 vials, but it says I need an Antimony (sb) to fully research it. How do I do this, and where do I get the Antimony?

You find them in the various chemical storage rooms in the game (marked C on the map). There's one on every deck including hydroponics. Once you have the chemical in your inventory you just right click on it while researching the toxin.

FACE

Banned
Hmm.

There are chemical storage rooms in the ship, you can find the chemicals you need there.

Thread has inspired me to give this a go again.

I had the game way back when, but think i was a bit too young too appreciate it and didn't get past the first few rooms. Will get the version from GOG :)

Played through this when the new patch came out. But I had to use mods to disable enemy respawns. I would like to replay it with co op how does that work is it full single player experience ?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just installed the game, and followed the newbie modding guide. But I didn't get Rebirth because some posts here say it's awful. Is it really that bad, or should I not worry about ruining the atmosphere and just get better graphics? Also, I plan on playing it with a friend.

Alexios

It's probably not that bad with exceptions but it's also not that good in providing good graphics, so, I'd say avoid for now.

Again, mind you I'm not talking about the game itself - just how certain 3D-games look and play from that fraction of time in game-space.

I think it holds up well due to the art style. A bland sort of spaceship still looks like a spaceship today.

Look at it this way. Worst case? You lose $10 and an hour or two. Best case? You experience one of the greatest games of all time.

When was the last time a game was released that actually tried to be the greatest game of all time? You may not get that experience again soon.

Endesu

Played through this when the new patch came out. But I had to use mods to disable enemy respawns. I would like to replay it with co op how does that work is it full single player experience ?

It's basically the single player campaign except with another person. You share cyber modules, data logs, and research results, but you'll have to determine who gets what ammo, med supplies, etc. Death equates to respawning without cost. Difficulty either starts out at Hard or Impossible, so expect a lot of enemy resistance.

KPJZKC

Frankly, SS2 has aged far better than Deus Ex.

Alexios

This is the System Shock 2 demo updated with NewDark, so you can try it before you buy it. I found it here. To minimize any damage from potentially missing parts and being unable to carry your save over to the full game you can just use it to see how the game feels and if it's mechanically acceptable for you then buy the full game rather than play the demo from start to finish.

Edit: the demo seems to be using visual enhancements like the Rebirth mod and the beginning of the game is re-arranged with missing bits that make it a little worse than the full game and in a way nonsensical. You get your re-assignment during the intro and then are thrust onto the spaceship right after you select the only career path available in the demo, not that you'll know what exactly this means on your first play, but yeah, keep that in mind, it's not as abrupt in the full game.

Vurt's Flora Overhaul also got a new version today. I don't know if it's fixed all the issues people had but if it has then it's another mod that compliments the visuals nicely without affecting the game's atmosphere in a negative way.

Engineering is absolutely destroying me. Just too much back tracking past nightmarish areas of turrets, hybrids and those damn robots.

Just
activated the fluidics
. Not sure where to go from here, mind.

Engineering is tough section. i am playing through the game again, probably my 5th playthrough of the game since purchasing it in 1999. Time has changed nothing. I am still on my toe, running out of AP ammo to use against the turrets and robots, pistol is jaming, barely escaping various encounters with my life...

SS2 is no doubt an intense game. best played in the dark, alone

Stick with it.
The game is soooooo good. Just get to Polito.

Glad you (and others) are enjoying the game. It's a stellar experience.

Frankly, SS2 has aged far better than Deus Ex.

It definitely has aged better than DE, but I'm not sure if that guy is talking about design or visuals. He mentioned Thief, but that had pretty good design (especially TMA), so I have to assume he's referring to visuals, in which case I'd advise against him trying it.

Yes sir, you are a monster. It's your loss though.

Considering your balls were blown off by Thief II, you need to re-grow them and play System Shock 2. While Thief appears to have turned you into a unic, SS2 will turn you into a crying little girl. The graphics, have aged surprisingly well considering more than a decade has passed. The audio design is as terrifying as ever. A 2012 playthrough will certainly be rated "nostalgic great"... 10 out of 10.

Just installed the game, and followed the newbie modding guide. But I didn't get Rebirth because some posts here say it's awful. Is it really that bad, or should I not worry about ruining the atmosphere and just get better graphics? Also, I plan on playing it with a friend.

I would personally stay away from Rebirth and just stick with the HD textures and HD space background. Experience the game (models) the way there we designed by the original team. The texture patches simply increase resolution, they don't alter the design intent like rebirth does.

IMO

FACE

Banned
Engineering is tough section. i am playing through the game again, probably my 5th playthrough of the game since purchasing it in 1999. Time has changed nothing. I am still on my toe, running out of AP ammo to use against the turrets and robots, pistol is jaming, barely escaping various encounters with my life...

SS2 is no doubt an intense game. best played in the dark, alone

Stick with it.
The game is soooooo good. Just get to Polito.

Glad you (and others) are enjoying the game. It's a stellar experience.

What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence?

Is there any way to make things like the map and log/notes window stay open when going into item mode? Like so you don't have to keep reopening the map and other stuff?

Alexios

You can use the map hotkey to open that display instead of the inventory key. It opens the inventory as well since they're all connected, but you'll need to use the inventory key to close everything as pressing the map key again will only close that and keep the inventory open. Similarly for the other screens I'd guess, I haven't bound all of them individually in my setup.

Top Bottom