• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

hertog

I loved fnal fantasy tactics & vandal hearts.
Should i get this game?

Wasn't ff:T made by the same ppl. who made this game?

Jerk

Banned
Shit, I think I erred by giving Denam a 2-Handed weapon.

Can I recruit a unit with high ranks in say Katanas and transfer that rank to Denam?

Hmm, seems like I can.

Sweet.

ferr said:
Is there anything like Snapdragon in this?

There are "cursed weapons" that serve a similar function. Equip the cursed weapon, use it as an item, and it turns the character into a snapdragon weapon giving bonuses based on the unit's base stats.

I don't even want to bother with cursed weapons. getting 12 guys up to max stats would be hard enough as is. I won't even be getting there for some of them. My main will be max definitely though.

I got the expendable heart replenishing item since it's used in battle it can't work on deceased units.

Crakatak187 said:
I don't even want to bother with cursed weapons. getting 12 guys up to max stats would be hard enough as is. I won't even be getting there for some of them. My main will be max definitely though.

Well, there's no point in the cursed weapons because there aren't any enemies or battles strong enough to bother with them. Forget max stats, even a weapon that gives you +20 to all stats is way overpowered. Hell, the normal end game weapons are already broken when paired with augment element.

I'm already halfway there. I didn't level up 12 classes for the uniques. I just leveled up 5 to level 50. I want a monster team. It's my niche in SRPGs.

Crakatak187 said:
I'm already halfway there. I didn't level up 12 classes for the uniques. I just leveled up 5 to level 50. I want a monster team. It's my niche in SRPGs.

I meant max stats on a cursed weapon, not base stats on characters.

You had 12 human classes left over? Did you deliberately avoid using many classes from the beginning?

Sort of. I had Knight and Warrior up to 31 and archer at 50. I won't be able to max out everybody's stats, but I'll get close.

It was very hard to fight against squids, Dragons, and golems with underequipped archers, but after I got my main attackers attack range to 900+ it was doable. My first run in Palace of the dead was a nightmare hahaha.

Finalow

i don't understand, i lost against the pirates when you have to save the buccaneer and now that port is no more available, there is only a fucking shop.

Fimbulvetr said:
You let Canopus fall? :mad:
yeah, poor canopus. :(

Jerk

Banned
finalozzo said:
i don't understand, i lost against the pirates when you have to save the buccaneer and now that port is no more available, there is only a fucking shop.

Huh?

The battle has to be done before you engage in the 4th story mission of chapter 4.

duckroll

I let Canopus be bait. At that point in the game, he didn't really have much point in my army. He's a little more useful now in post-game though.

Edit: I'm lacking recipe books. I don't have any good ones other than the stock recipes I can buy. Any advice for where to look for advanced recipe books? In particular I would like the ones for bows.

duckroll said:
I let Canopus be bait. At that point in the game, he didn't really have much point in my army. He's a little more useful now in post-game though.

Edit: I'm lacking recipe books. I don't have any good ones other than the stock recipes I can buy. Any advice for where to look for advanced recipe books? In particular I would like the ones for bows.

The advanced recipes have a chance of being dropped by enemies in the late game sidequests like the shrines, the wildwood, San Bronsa, Pirate's Graveyard, and the Palace of the Dead. The enemies don't always drop them, so you'll probably have to grind the battle or exploit CHARIOT to get them.

I know you can get a bow one at:
Bow Enchiridion: Phorampa Wildwood, Wonder at the Gods Above, dropped by archer (human female, N, ELEV 20, bow)

This guide has a list of where you can find them, though it doesn't use the correct translations for the names.

duckroll said:
7fYXf.png

I find myself at the battle of the photos duckroll shared. That is alot of dudes with bows, so someone serving as a diversion would be best to dispatch those archer before the real target?

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
I find myself at the battle of the photos duckroll shared. That is alot of dudes with bows, so someone serving as a diversion would be best to dispatch those archer before the real target?

I dunno dude, all I did was send forth my Gryphon army, as shown in the pics, while my archers stayed at the starting point and shot at advancing melee units, while my two knights blocked off the chockpoint with Rampart Aura. I'm sure there are many other ways to engage the fight, but once my Gryphons took care of the people on the very top, they just had fun picking off everyone else below. Canopus sacrificing himself as a decoy made it easier, but in hindsight probably not totally necessary.

Shouta

Urban Scholar said:

Are you climbing up or going down? If you're going up, I'd recommend leaving someone squishy but a lot of HP in the open area to the lower right in that pic so the Archers focus on them and heal them as need be. Throw Canopus up the far left ledge and have him smack up the archers with his own arrows while you advance slowly up.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
Do weapons have second Finishers?

Each weapon type has 4 finishers. You get them at skill levels 2, 4, 6, and 8 respectively. For monster units, they get more finisher type attacks available to learn as skills as they reach certain levels for their class. You have to equip these as skills, but they are considered special attacks instead of skills, so they work the same way as finishers in battle.

Lots of things to say but I'll just say the more I progress the more I love this version even though I don't like at all the new death system. The Wildwood are fantastics to recruit characters, I also like the Ogre Battle musics they added in there and its map make me think of Vagrant Story, especially VS's forest & the atmosphere to FFXII's Cerobbi Stepp.

I just had a tough fight in Omish port in Chap 4. My best character was 17 whereas ennemy units levels were 21. I can say thanks to Charm, Petribust, Sleep.. and Canopus of course.
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/306195SS0121.png

Now can I do the Bamamasa dead quest & progress in the story? It won't screw
Azelstan Sidequest
will it?

bengraven

God, I bought this. I'm stupid, I've got such a backlog I'll never be able to get into something with this amount of depth, even if it's on a portable system.

duckroll said:

Oh snap, now I know what to do with the money I've made from leveling up my B squad. Forgot that I saw some on sale!

panda21

do you ever get control of more than one guy in this?

i didnt get to play long so far but its only ever given me control of one person and i barely got to move around while the cpu did everything else. does it open up soon? i'm getting a bit bored and the story is kind of hard to follow so far (i can't remember who is who between all these warring countries)

Yaweee

panda21 said:
do you ever get control of more than one guy in this?

i didnt get to play long so far but its only ever given me control of one person and i barely got to move around while the cpu did everything else. does it open up soon? i'm getting a bit bored and the story is kind of hard to follow so far (i can't remember who is who between all these warring countries)

Yes, it opens up, like, 20 minutes in to the game. You really didn't play long at all. You were still in the (short) tutorial.

Sit at the title screen to see the political overview of the backstory.

Read the Warren Report (Talk and People) to fill in the rest.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Haven't really started playing this yet, but has anyone released a patch for the US version to allow it to work on CFW yet, like the EU version got some time ago?

Jerk

Banned
So, which of the non-Human classes are worthy of investment?

I plan to start recruiting more non-humans, but I do not want to waste my time.

Any advice?

Jerk 2.0 said:

Any advice?

Gryphons and Octopi are great ranged fighters.

Dragons are good tanks.

I'm currently experimenting with a Lizardman Hoplite and a Faerie Familiar, so I'll tell you how that goes.

Yaweee

Jerk 2.0 said:

Any advice?

Managing to fit them in to your party is hard due to the way-too-low character limit (50), but if you're asking about Demi-humans and not Beasts/Dragons/Golems, I'd say

Juggernaut (Lizardmen,Lamia), very mobile melee units
Familiar (Fairies), Healers + Ranged weapons

I haven't much tried Hoplites (which are like Knights, very defensive melee), or Patriarchs/Matriarchs (casters).

The Undead can be recruited by Liches. Skeletons = Physical human classes, while Ghosts = Magical human classes. I think they're slightly weaker/slower, but come back to life. Good for leveling, at least.

Dragons
Octopi
Golem

Are all great once you get them up to speed, and unit for unit likely better than their closest human equivalents. Gryphons are pretty good, but not great. Octopi are likely just broken as shit, more-so than anything I've seen in the game so far.

i have a rogue fairy. she came with a few good skills and has the flying bonus, but i still like my human more. octopi have great finishers, but i don't get good ranged results from them as i get from archers. their attacks get blocked a whole lot and i don't think they can ever learn trueflight for better accuracy.

V_Arnold

Well, my first capture is a cockatrice :D
It might not be as fancy as a Griphon, but it already dishes out serious damage (lv8 now, my other party members are at 11-12) - should I keep him or just hunt out stronger monsters?

I really want one like that in my main group, but not much more. It is getting packed already, byebye beast tamer :D

careful

Too many god damned special characters! :(
I can't fit them in my main 10-12 anymore..
Also I wish there were a few bit more human magic or hybrid classes. I like to keep everyone as a seperate class to avoid overleveling a single one and it's getting tough.

Yaweee

Augemitbutter said:
i have a rogue fairy. she came with a few good skills and has the flying bonus, but i still like my human more. octopi have great finishers, but i don't get good ranged results from them as i get from archers. their attacks get blocked a whole lot and i don't think they can ever learn trueflight for better accuracy.

With Octopi, you really have to pay attention to weather and dispel it with items if bad, as well as the range accuracy modifiers for different types of terrain. Also, you can run in and melee with them. They have shitloads of HP, good defense, and taking damage lets them charge up TP super fast so you can spam Poison Rain.

Jerk

Banned
Hmm, I think it is about time I rid myself of all my generics. I only have about 16 Units, but the presence of so many units that I am not using annoys me.

Not sure if I should consider Sarah and Voltare generics though. Although, they have 0 speaking roles and their stats are unremarkable. I may kill them off too...

As for the non-humans. One of each race should do. Maybe a multiple or two to get some of the more unique classes.

Still on chapter 3, slowly working my way through. I've been doing some recruiting and leveling up of classes.
Got myself 1 thunder dragon, 1 golem, and I just recruited another winged human for my army.

Shoud I hold on to my +1 weapons if they're no longer needed (that I have duplicates of), or sell them? I feel like they might come into play later down the line in the creation of +2 weapons or something.

Also, nobody told me that Crafted weapons also have special effects!! Entering into the second Keep in Chapter 3 Chaos with a party fully equipped with Silencing Baldur weapons +1, I kicked some serious ass.

Jerk

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
Shoud I hold on to my +1 weapons if they're no longer needed (that I have duplicates of), or sell them? I feel like they might come into play later down the line in the creation of +2 weapons or something.

Also, nobody told me that Crafted weapons also have special effects!! Entering into the second Keep in Chapter 3 Chaos with a party fully equipped with Silencing Baldur weapons +1, I kicked some serious ass.

You can safely sell your +1s.

Though I advise you hold on to the Baldur stuff as they do extra damage to undead.

KuroNeeko

Been playing this pretty much whenever I can get time and have been happy with the game so far with only one complaint - the game seems too easy.

The hardest battle I've had so far was
the battle at Fort Quadriga(?) against Nivas and his army of undead.
After that, it's just been smooth sailing.

I'm still only at the beginning of Chapter 2 and am in the middle of fighting
Vyce at Tynemouth Hill.
The only difficulty I've had has come from leveling up my rogue and my ninja at the same time - essentially reducing my attack force by two. Otherwise its two knights, an archer, two clerics, and two mages (water / black.) I don't use Chariot and none of my units have lost any of their hearts. Does the game get harder?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to brag or say I don't like the game, it's been an awesome experience and the music is fantastic. Just looking back to my March of the Black Queen days I was expecting something a little more difficult like
the battle at Quadriga, but for every battle.
Seems like even FFT was more difficult. Does it get better?

Top Bottom