• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Terror Knights are alright. Their problem is that they are kind of a class that's mediocre at a bunch of different things. They don't have the defense, or healing/tanking ability of a Knight, they can't deal damage like a Berserker or a Ninja, and Swordmasters are better at using status effects. They are decent for most of the game, but kind of pointless later on. I'd rather have a specialized unit that excels at something than a jack of all trades.

Augemitbutter said:
is anybody using terror knights? they look fun, but the healing of the normal knights helped me out quite well so far.

I am.

Mine started out pretty useless, but now usually has a 50-70% chance o hitting with status effects.

They're essentially offense oriented Knights.

Basileus777 said:
Terror Knights are alright. Their problem is that they are kind of a class that's mediocre at a bunch of different things. They don't have the defense, or healing/tanking ability of a Knight, they can't deal damage like a Berserker or a Ninja, and Swordmasters are better at using status effects. They are decent for most of the game, but kind of pointless later on. I'd rather have a specialized unit that excels at something than a jack of all trades.

Anything is better than a Rune Fencer.

Fimbulvetr said:
Anything is better than a Rune Fencer.

Pretty much. Though a Rune Fencer with divine magic (boon of swiftness and heal) and an item lobber can be a decent support unit for parts of the game. As mobile unit that can heal and buff, they're alright, as damage dealers they're completely worthless.

Yaweee

So many cool classes and races, and I can't recruit them because of the 50 character limit =(

It's so much easier to level new classes if you have two of them, but this just makes that really difficult.

I kind of want to restart the game and play through it only using generics, experiment with different classes. Uniques pretty much spoiled me, and I want to see if the game gets difficult with only generics.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
I kind of want to restart the game and playthrough it only using generics, experiment with different classes. Uniques pretty much spoiled me, and I want to see if the game gets difficult with only generics.

The story-only classes are fantastic, but I've not found much of a difference between the regular classes and story characters that are the same class. There's a slight RT difference, but that amounts to a total speed boost on the order of 10% or less, and slightly more damage.

Best bet for challenge would be undercutting the character limit in each battle without using the story classes.

Lord, Ranger, and Knight Commander are all ridiculous. I've been having a ton of fun experimenting with classes while keeping my total level low. Juggernauts and Rogues have proven to be pretty fun.

Yaweee said:
The story-only classes are fantastic, but I've not found much of a difference between the regular classes and story characters that are the same class. There's a slight RT difference, but that amounts to a total speed boost on the order of 10% or less, and slightly more damage.

They have higher base stats too. For some of them it's not that much of a difference, but then there are things like
Hobyrim's DEX, or Warren's INT.
Having 10+ of each stat over a generic can be a big deal.

Best bet for challenge would be undercutting the character limit in each battle without using the story classes.
Yeah, that could work. I'll probably try not to use overpowered generic classes like archers and ninjas too much either.
Lord, Ranger, and Knight Commander are all ridiculous. I've been having a ton of fun experimenting with classes while keeping my total level low. Juggernauts and Rogues have proven to be pretty fun.
I've had fun with Rogues too, though I haven't experimented much with non-humans outside of dragons, golems, and octopodes.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Hmm, white knights almost make Knights obsolete.

Except for Tactician and Phalanx of course...

White knights can use tactician too. Phalanx is a loss, but guardian force is sometimes more useful for tanking. I've found that the AI tends to ignore units under phalanx, which makes it more difficult to draw enemies away from softer targets unless you are at a choke point. Plus white knights have better stats and skills like paralysis blade.

Basileus777 said:
White knights can use tactician too. Phalanx is a loss, but guardian force is sometimes more useful for tanking. I've found that the AI tends to ignore units under phalanx, which makes it more difficult to draw enemies away from softer targets unless you are at a choke point. Plus white knights have better stats and skills like paralysis blade.

Silly me, I only just got Gildas and the guy who isn't as cool, but forgot to change Ravness out of Valkyrie.

Can White Knights use Boon of Swiftness?

I'm working on maximizing stats right now. I can't wait until Dex get to 100 just for daggers.

The way I'm leveling character is much faster. I take advantage of the story battles with 12 player count and just one shot the boss with Canopus while the rest of the other guys do nothing, but be worthless.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Oh well, I'm sure Donnalto will pick up the slack.

So far, I have found the Cleric class to be utterly useless.

If you want to use Boon of swiftness, you are better of either turning him, or another one of your less than useful uniques
(like Olivya)
into a Rune Fencer/Valkyrie.

The class may be useless offensively, but they are one of the few classes who can cast BoS.

I gave mine the Lobber, Field Alchemy and Rampart Aura.

Ok silly class system, you've gone too far this time. Just recruited
Blind swordsman guy
who was a major ass kicker all battle, and then after he joins me, he's suddenly lvl 1 (leveled up to 4 in the fight though). Would you like a cookie? Here, watch me eat one. Ok, there's the recipe and ingredients, knock yourself out.

The added mobility a Rune Fencer gives you over a Cleric isn't really that big of a deal. Mobility isn't particularly important for a support class that stays behind your lines and never needs to target enemies. It certainly isn't a big factor that Rune Fencers are great while Clerics are worthless, especially when you are sacrificing exorcism, area heal, mother's blessing etc. for it.

Not to mention that area heal III + mother's blessing is awesome. And
Priest Catiua
renders the debate pointless as she can do it all.

Jerk

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Not to mention that area heal III + mother's blessing is awesome. And
Priest Catiua
renders the debate pointless as she can do it all.

I know.

I do not actually care much for either class, I just desperately needed to justify turning
Olivya
into one. Her stats are too poor to excel much at anything.

Well, except maybe status. She has high mind.

Basileus777 said:

Knights are the only ones who learn it naturally.

How do you guys set up your party? I am chapter 3 and try to have different classes on all 10 members, I only take 2 clerics for heal.
I'm thinking about changing my rune fencer and terror knight into ninjas, but then I would have 3 ninjas ^^
Are beast tamers and Warlocks usefull? They are still level 1.

Masaki_

Just started Law path.

Man, it really bothers me playing someone who would do such a thing. How the hell would you convince Ravness an Vyce to fight for you after this is truly beyond me. And Catiua actually shows some character if you choose the Chaos option instead of just following you like a sheep in Law. I just hope Denam can redeem himself somehow.

Yaweee

platypotamus said:
Ok silly class system, you've gone too far this time. Just recruited
Blind swordsman guy
who was a major ass kicker all battle, and then after he joins me, he's suddenly lvl 1 (leveled up to 4 in the fight though). Would you like a cookie? Here, watch me eat one. Ok, there's the recipe and ingredients, knock yourself out.

Get another Swordsman or two in the Wildwood, and bring the class up to speed in 30~60 minutes.

finalozzo said:
i didn't know about the existence of such an item. Fuck you exorcism.

It's a skill for the Priest class, not an item.

Masaki_ said:
Man, it really bothers me playing someone who would do such a thing. How the hell would you convince Ravness an Vyce to fight for you after this is truly beyond me. And Catiua actually shows some character if you choose the Chaos option instead of just following you like a sheep in Law. I just hope Denam can redeem himself somehow.

Actually Catiua's creepy devotion to Denam is a good bit of character development. It really makes sense when she says the one thing she fears most is being alone, when she is even willing to compromise her ideals just to be with Denam.

With the usually sibling relationships in RPGs it's either "blah blah, I'm jealous because you're the hero" or "something something I'LL NEVER GIVE UP, BECAUSE SERAH!". With Catiua they kidnap the latter and take it to a rather dark place.

She even surprisingly comes off as a total bitch sometimes(not, "total bitch for no real reason" like Lightning though).

Just because she doesn't do stuff you like doesn't mean she's less of a character for it.

Also Vyce and Ravness joining you later is presented in a way that makes sense, actually.

MoxManiac

Yaweee said:
Get another Swordsman or two in the Wildwood, and bring the class up to speed in 30~60 minutes.

It's a skill for the Priest class, not an item.

So if you have multiple units of the same class on the field, the class levels up faster?

Sorry, still a noob at the game.

Jerk

Banned
finalozzo said:
is Lord good? I have to let catiua die for this enhancement.

Yes it is very good. The consensus is to save Catiua the first time around and use WORLD to get go back and get it.

Finalow

Jerk 2.0 said:
Yes it is very good. The consensus is to save Catiua the first time around and use WORLD to get go back and get it.
ok thanks, and i don't need two saves to do this. >_>

Yaweee

MoxManiac said:
So if you have multiple units of the same class on the field, the class levels up faster?

Sorry, still a noob at the game.

Yes, and it resolves many of the leveling issues people have with the game. EXP is divided among all classes you bring, and weighted extra for duplicates. So bringing several (or all) of a single class can level it up really, really fast.

MoxManiac

Thanks. That was one of my complaints with the original, it was sometimes hard to keep all units up to snuff. I really like this new unfied level system.

Man this game is so addicting! My only complaint with the game is the shop interface; wish it was more like FFT where you could "fit" items before purchasing.

Boney

Banned
Finally got this yesterday and played it quite a bit. I've been having trouble dealing a lot of damage though, I guess skill points aren't meant to be saved right? And thank god I realized the Necromancer fight was optional, it was driving me insane.

I'd appreciate any tips regarding classes. Oh and is there a way to see what are you gonna fight before starting the fight?

O.O

Just spent over an hour Crafting +1 Armors and Weapons. So much time and work for so little benefit, yet I'm completely addicted. O.O I hope it makes a difference in the next couple of battles.

I particularly made sure to upgrade my Crossbows and Bows, since they always are so useless against high-defense enemies.

Also, in the Fort in Chapter 3 where you get to choose which Wall to assault, the West path was epic. One of the coolest things I have ever done in a video game before. (Your team is split east and west along a large pool of water, racing to meet up on the other side to take on the enemy.)

Mr. Wonderful said:
Also, in the Fort in Chapter 3 where you get to choose which Wall to assault, the West path was epic. One of the coolest things I have ever done in a video game before. (Your team is split east and west along a large pool of water, racing to meet up on the other side to take on the enemy.)

My Flood Dragon and Octopus dominated that map.

lol @ the Cyclopes waiting at the edge of the lake for them while they ruined his shit with boulders.

duckroll

finalozzo said:
i didn't know about the existence of such an item. Fuck you exorcism.

It's not an item. It's a skill the Priest class gets. For 50 TP, you can banish a stilled undead unit. So basically if you keep the priest unit on reserve + magic leaves, by the time you need to clear the field of stilled undead units, you can basically banish two undead units per turn. Exorcism is an action, and Holy Water is a skill. You can do both in a single turn!

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
So you don't have a Lizardman?

You humans are all racist.

I'm not racist. But I'm a furry, not a scaley. Sorry.

Look at all that loot, must have been a massacre down there...

SIyDW.png

I don't know why they keep running away, my furry friends just want to give them a hug...

HlvV2.png

sCwuo.png

7fYXf.png

Shuusui

Hey guys, quick question:

When is the earliest your can recruit a Hydra? I know there is a zombie one coming up, but I wasn't sure if I could hire it.

Shuusui said:
When is the earliest your can recruit a Hydra? I know there is a zombie one coming up, but I wasn't sure if I could hire it.

Zombies can't level up. :(

There are two non-zombie ones a bit after that though.

The first is in the Psonji Weald, and the second is in that volcano place.

I'm talking Law Route, BTW.

mandiller

I need some help figuring out how to recruit. I have just started the game and am in chapter 1. I'm not sure how to recruit anyone, but I've given some of my characters skills that make recruiting easier, eg anatomy or draconology. Yet still if I stand next to an enemy in battle I can't select any skills or figure out what the command is for recruit. Any help?

mandiller said:
I need some help figuring out how to recruit. I have just started the game and am in chapter 1. I'm not sure how to recruit anyone, but I've given some of my characters skills that make recruiting easier, eg anatomy or draconology. Yet still if I stand next to an enemy in battle I can't select any skills or figure out what the command is for recruit. Any help?

Recruit (and its non-Human variants like Coax [for Reptiles], Tame [for Dragons], Fey Pact[for Faeries], etc.) is an Action Skill(which always appear at the bottom of the Skill list). You need to use skill points to obtain them, like anything else.

Not all units can learn Recruit skills and they need to be at least lvl 5 to learn them anyway(with some others being restricted to lvl 10).

Recruit skills use up TP, just like Finishers. So make sure you have enough before trying.

Other than the race skills(Anatomy and the like) the best way to increase recruitment rate is to reduce the target recruit to 10% HP. Units that aren't very loyal to their Faction will also join you more readily(you can check Loyalty by pressing select and checking the dot next to their name).

So apparently there was promotional art released recently, does anybody know where it's from? http://i.imgur.com/WgLz4.jpg

Yaweee

Augemitbutter said:
will the hearts be replenished when you beat the game, or are you stuck with the penalty forever on your save?

There's an expendable item in the post game to restore Hearts.

Top Bottom