• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

aitakute

for the dlc that gives +1000 HP and levels does it apply to future members when you get them too?
Yes
i just gained the ship exploration option so how far am i?
Not very far
I bought some of the DLCs

Double Gald/Experience/Grade/Arte Learning Speed. I am not sure though if they are active or not. Any way to check it out?? :/
You must go to your inventory, DLC tab and active them

I wonder what's wrong with my controller setup.

I changed the menu button for the general/exploration mode to Y from the default start button. However, it also changes the Y button in battles (so it opens up menu instead of doing combo) even though it's not changed in the option. Why is that?

I'm on PC using a wireless X360 controller, btw.

aravuus

Not sure I get the Soul Gauge stuff. Artes use 7 SG, or 11 SG, or something similar, yet the graphical depiction of SG in-battle is just... A couple of "diamonds"?

Is one Soul Gauge "diamond" worth 10 points of whatever-soul-stuff, or how does it work?

Bladenic

Not sure I get the Soul Gauge stuff. Artes use 7 SG, or 11 SG, or something similar, yet the graphical depiction of SG in-battle is just... A couple of "diamonds"?

Is one Soul Gauge "diamond" worth 10 points of whatever-soul-stuff, or how does it work?

I wanna say one cube is worth 30 SG.

aravuus

I wanna say one cube is worth 30 SG.

Sounds like a lot, but then again, I guess I do manage to string a bunch of combos before I have to wait for my SG to refill.

Seems like I got the basic gist of it, anyway. Will probably play on moderate for now and bump it up to hard if things get too easy.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Something is wrong with the DLC. I can buy it, but I get no access to it. The dlc screen just asks me to download the already installed catalog, and the costumes I bought are nowherr to be found. Can't download them either. Anyone else had problems?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Something is wrong with the DLC. I can buy it, but I get no access to it. The dlc screen just asks me to download the already installed catalog, and the costumes I bought are nowherr to be found. Can't download them either. Anyone else had problems?

Items->last tab on right to claim dlc items. Easy to miss.

IbukiLordSA

Picked up a review copy yesterday, quite excited to try this out. Will be the first time I sit down and play a Tales game, I played a little of Vesperia and Abyss but neither held my attention past the hour mark as I just didn't enjoy the characters and their designs, this looks right up my alley :)

Picked up a review copy yesterday, quite excited to try this out. Will be the first time I sit down and play a Tales game, I played a little of Vesperia and Abyss but neither held my attention past the hour mark as I just didn't enjoy the characters and their designs, this looks right up my alley :)

Just a warning, Berseria has quite a slow start. You might started to get boring in the first hour or so if you couldn't handle it in those games, I think.

Lnds500

Whoops, you only need to use item dlcs. For buffs, they will be activated automatically when you bought them. You can't turn them off either

Checked that, wasn't there. But I restarted my PS4, and that fixed it. Thanks anyways.

Wow! Thanks for the suggestion, that fixed my problem as well.

You have to restart the console, not the game, and the DLCs will appear in the Add-on tab. Even the non-item ones.

aravuus

WELL

Things certainly took a dark turn quickly in the intro lol

This is probably the most intriguing story setup in a Tales game so far. Intro was a bit slow, but I can't wait to see where things start going from here.

FSLink

Banned
Just a warning, Berseria has quite a slow start. You might started to get boring in the first hour or so if you couldn't handle it in those games, I think.

It's faster than Abyss and Vesperia's opening acts at least, and much more interesting story wise IMO.

Neil

Amazon UK still haven't shipped yet.
It still says due tomorrow which means I won't get it until Saturday. I wanted to play it this weekend before I started my new job.

Same here, currently saying Arriving 13 Feb - 4 Mar.

Want to play the game so bad so guess I'll just have to pick up a copy in-store...

I noticed on the PS4 version that if you put your PS4 into rest mode that your expeditions keep going and will be finished when you come back to the game without running up the time played timer...very nice.

CEJames

Tales was never really a "fast start" sort of RPG story-wise....

Lnds500

I noticed on the PS4 version that if you put your PS4 into rest mode that your expeditions keep going and will be finished when you come back to the game without running up the time played timer...very nice.

You can also change the PS4 time and the expeditions are fulfilled instantly.

selo

I wonder what's wrong with my controller setup.

I changed the menu button for the general/exploration mode to Y from the default start button. However, it also changes the Y button in battles (so it opens up menu instead of doing combo) even though it's not changed in the option. Why is that?

I'm on PC using a wireless X360 controller, btw.

Yeah, I also changed the Menu from "Start" to "X", and when in battles, it would attack and also open up the menu :(. There are categories for the button mappings, which is good, the bad thing is that "Menu" is under General and its not present in the other button mapping categories, it would've been great if they had added it to the battle section as well.

Giolon

Where the hell do we get cooking recipes in this game? I've made it to Port Zekson and haven't found or learned a single additional recipe.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate Bienfu. Who do they always need to add these shitty, stupid, annoying "maskot" characters?

Spman2099

They blocked shareplay? That is SO fucking stupid. God damn it, Namco. You guys suck.

Guess I can't play it with my friend in Japan like we had planned...

You guys suck. You suck so bad, Namco.

Renmyra

Getting stuck with 1 SG really sucks. I wish you weren't able to lose them or that they had no impact on your regular combos.
I have no idea why they introduced this mechanic. I had to do a 1 arte combo doing 42 damage (enemy was weak against this element) about 200 times to kill a Dire Foe.

The Dude

Is side stepping the best way to rebuild SG? Only had about 2 hours or so last night but was curious about it after I shut it down

aravuus

Phew, beat the first dire foe I came across (big bat) on the second try. Hard difficulty seems uneven so far, cause normal encounters have been super easy yet this one was HARD.

Arkeus

Phew, beat the first dire foe I came across (big bat) on the second try. Hard difficulty seems uneven so far, cause normal encounters have been super easy yet this one was HARD.

Did you kill it first time you meet it when you have only 2 characters? I was thinking of waiting a bit before I did that, but I'm unsure how long I am supposed to wait.

aravuus

Did you kill it first time you meet it when you have only 2 characters? I was thinking of waiting a bit before I did that, but I'm unsure how long I am supposed to wait.

Yeah. Took a couple of tries and most of my healing items.

e: I guess I already mentioned it took two tries lol.

rickyson1

got a really bizarre issue with this game now for some reason

played for 8 hours or so earlier and it was running perfectly fine the entire time

closed the game for a couple hours to do other things and now for some reason it's randomly running at like 10 FPS

edit: was looking it up and found a bizarre solution that worked for some reason I can't even begin to comprehend(switching steam to offline mode)

Gotta say, I really liked the opening hour or two of this. Like, far more than any Tales game I can recall.

The tone and characters so far is head and shoulders above anything during the last generation, that's for sure.

PoshAlligatorRD

Neo Member
Getting stuck with 1 SG really sucks. I wish you weren't able to lose them or that they had no impact on your regular combos.
I have no idea why they introduced this mechanic. I had to do a 1 arte combo doing 42 damage (enemy was weak against this element) about 200 times to kill a Dire Foe.

It does kind of suck, but I mostly ended up feeling it was my own fault for allowing myself to get into that situation.

I actually ended up loving the push/pull, risk/reward element of the way SG was used - though it does take a little getting used to.

Rpgmonkey

Attacks for the enemy's weak point(s) aren't going to always be the most optimal attack if you don't have enough souls to get much out of them. In those cases you'll have to change your approach to regain some momentum.

There's a couple different ways to regain souls:

- Filling the enemy's hidden stun gauge and stunning them (attacks with a Stun factor or Titles that boost the effect will fill it faster)
- Breaking the enemy's guard with the Guard Break boost ability you get later.
- Soul Bottles
- Switching a character in
- Using a Mystic Arte
- Defeat an enemy
- Pick up souls on the field after a successful dodge or if someone dies.

Also, the less souls you have the easier it'll be to stun the enemy (the enemy also has their own pool of souls, so the more they have the easier it is to stun them). So it's useful to have attacks that stun more easily set to use even if they're not actually "good" against the enemy.

Dinda

Played like 6 hours till now, and really really like it so far. Last Tales game i felt so good about after a few hours was Vesperia. And the story premise of this one is the most interesting one of any Tales game i can remember.
Really like Velvet and the rest of the party.

Also i want that Pirate DLC and the DLCs with the short hairstyles (I'm a sucker for those).
Do we have any idea of the release dates for those? Will they be weekly? It would really suck if they are released sometime after i finish the game.

Renmyra

Attacks for the enemy's weak point(s) aren't going to always be the most optimal attack if you don't have enough souls to get much out of them. In those cases you'll have to change your approach to regain some momentum.

There's a couple different ways to regain souls:

- Filling the enemy's hidden stun gauge and stunning them (attacks with a Stun factor or Titles that boost the effect will fill it faster)
- Breaking the enemy's guard with the Guard Break boost ability you get later.
- Soul Bottles
- Switching a character in
- Using a Mystic Arte
- Defeat an enemy
- Pick up souls on the field after a successful dodge or if someone dies.

Also, the less souls you have the easier it'll be to stun the enemy (the enemy also has their own pool of souls, so the more they have the easier it is to stun them). So it's useful to have attacks that stun more easily set to use even if they're not actually "good" against the enemy.

Unfortunately, none of these were possible. It guarded every single move I tried to stun with. I can't seem to get timed dodging to work either. It's nowhere near as easy as in Graces.

I'm probably just gonna be less frivolous with Break Soul during boss fights.

aitakute

Magilou is goddamned awesome. One of the best Tales characters ever.

Agree. She's great. Not only she's funny, she's quite deep too, Her character quest later in the game is goddamn funny.

By the way, just asking but, how many of you guys here have played Zestiria to the end?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering I've just gotten too old for this series. I think it's the least funny Tales game so far. The last few games werenptetty shit, but at least they made me chuckle here and there. And I find Magilou to just be a tireing character. Maybe I'm just tired of all the meaningless talking. There are so many skits in this game it's driving me nuts. 3-4 in a row is a bit much, yeah?

I think in future games they could improve this by having some skits run as you play. Just add a picture in picture setup or something, so I can still move around the map without getting interrupted every few minutes.

Top Bottom