• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

The Dude

For me I'm never in it for the humor, I just love the world's, the combat, the art direction, and classic rpg feel, but I couldn't care less about the actual humor

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
For me I'm never in it for the humor, I just love the world's, the combat, the art direction, and classic rpg feel, but I couldn't care less about the actual humor

Sure, but when they never shut up, a little hunor would help spice things up. I really hope the next game sees a radical change in art direction though. I think this style has run its course. All the ps3/ps4 games look like they could be the same game. Same designs, same faces, same environment, etc. And I think it's time for a new composer too, or at least somelne to help change things up. Sakuraba is a broken record at this point, and it just reinforces the samey feel I get from the games.

I'm not talking realistic art direction, mind you. Keep it anime, by all means, but just, make it different. Make the games stand out from each other.

The Dude

Sure, but when they never shut up, a little hunor would help spice things up. I really hope the next game sees a radical change in art direction though. I think this style has run its course. All the ps3/ps4 games look like they could be the same game. Same designs, same faces, same environment, etc. And I think it's time for a new composer too, or at least somelne to help change things up. Sakuraba is a broken record at this point, and it just reinforces the samey feel I get from the games.

I'm not talking realistic art direction, mind you. Keep it anime, by all means, but just, make it different. Make the games stand out from each other.

I hear ya, that's my main gripe with tales games is they fucking talk endlessly

Cornbread78

Agree. She's great. Not only she's funny, she's quite deep too, Her character quest later in the game is goddamn funny.

By the way, just asking but, how many of you guys here have played Zestiria to the end?

Umm, this guy did. ?I need to finish the Alisha DLC though... That
Maltran
battle was ridiculous and not worth the aggravation to continue..

Dice//

Banned
Did not realize Christina Vee was Violet!
Definitely prefer her voice like this then putting the effort for higher pitch roles; this suits better and she sounds great.

Maltran
that DLC was easy...as long as you just play as Rose since Alisha sucks in battle since she cant merge.

Stupid ass DLC, try and make Alisha matter and shes still worthless. I did spend the majority of the main game playing as Rose as well, which probably helped make that DLC even easier

Agree. She's great. Not only she's funny, she's quite deep too, Her character quest later in the game is goddamn funny.

By the way, just asking but, how many of you guys here have played Zestiria to the end?

Zestiria was awesome! Still has the best Tales of cast of all time imo.

Anoxida

Ok. 6 hours in so I got a feel for the game by now. It's a step up clearly from the last three entries but still a very flawed experience. I think the game has some of the worst itemization I've ever experienced. When getting new gear hours into the game doesnt feel like an upgrade then you've fucked up. With FFIX you at least had proper upgrades to your weapons etc all the time. So far it only feels like the only difference between gear are the names and some insignificant stat variations. Im enjoying Berseria but they really need to change things up in the future because the current formula is starting to get really tiresome.

If there are any people around who havent decided to buy the game yet because they thought Zesteria was bad then I'd probably recommend to wait for a sale before buying.

TheFatMan

I did, and I actually enjoyed it. Although I will admit it was not my favorite Tales. I think my biggest gripe was the very bland dungeons outside of the Temples.

Never beat the DLC mission even though I had it. Just didn't have the time.

Bladenic

Rose is the worst character since Anise Tatlin. The hard-on Baba must've hard for her/her VA is astounding. So glad the anime is somewhat lessening her role and raising Alisha's.

That said Rose is far more fun to play as even compared to Sorey.

Rose is the worst character since Anise Tatlin. The hard-on Baba must've hard for her/her VA is astounding. So glad the anime is somewhat lessening her role and raising Alisha's.

That said Rose is far more fun to play as even compared to Sorey.
Rose is the only character I liked in zestiria

kewlmyc

I tried, but I couldn't. Stopped around the end of the trials.

I liked the cast overall and the music was fantastic. I also didn't mind Alisha taking a back seat since I found her overall the most boring of the main cast.

I dropped the game due to gameplay reasons and the way the game treated its plot. I don't see me ever going back to it, but I might check out the anime once its over and the dub is out.

Cornbread78

that DLC was easy...as long as you just play as Rose since Alisha sucks in battle since she cant merge.

Stupid ass DLC, try and make Alisha matter and shes still worthless. I did spend the majority of the main game playing as Rose as well, which probably helped make that DLC even easier

Yeah, I really only used Sorey during the main story, and Rose once in awhile, but trying to fight with Alisha/Rose as the primary is nearly impossible for that battle if you hadn't used them previously. I tried a bunch of times, but I couldn't get anything to work so I said screw it.

aravuus

Any way to stop my AI pals from picking up the fucking soul blocks that appear when I succesfully dodge an attack? The whole party is stuck at 1 soul each cause the two scorpions that spawned with this dire foe stun you all the time, and every time I dodge, some other cunt makes a beeline for the soul block and proceeds to lose the extra soul they got right away.

I'm not going to call the soul system awful, but this is fucking annoying.

e: beat him. Wow, that was unfun and stupid.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sorey and Mikleo were the best thing about Zestiria. The best duo!

h60EV8E.png

e_i

I got up to the final boss in Zestiria.

TheFatMan

Do we have an idea on how the dlc will be released? Pretty sure I'll finish the game before any I'm interested in comes out :/

I couldn't find anything about it online. But I might have missed it.

This is always a problem I have with Tales games. I'd buy all the costume DLC if they released it on time but usually by the time they do I've beaten the game and moved on.

aitakute

I did, why?

Maltran

*raises hand* unfortunately...

Zestiria was awesome! Still has the best Tales of cast of all time imo.

I did, and I actually enjoyed it. Although I will admit it was not my favorite Tales. I think my biggest gripe was the very bland dungeons outside of the Temples.

Never beat the DLC mission even though I had it. Just didn't have the time.

I tried, but I couldn't. Stopped around the end of the trials.

I liked the cast overall and the music was fantastic. I also didn't mind Alisha taking a back seat since I found her overall the most boring of the main cast.

I dropped the game due to gameplay reasons and the way the game treated its plot. I don't see me ever going back to it, but I might check out the anime once its over and the dub is out.

I got up to the final boss in Zestiria.

I see. I haven't finished Zestiria yet despite buying both Japanese and English release and shamefully ALL DLCs. Been watching the anime and I think it's good. Having finished Berseria gave me some thoughts about certain plot points in the anime. Maybe I'll finish the game someday

Alucrid

Banned

i did...twice. it's nice seeing all the callbacks from zestiria in berseria.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So....I'm probably just gonna have to double back, but is there any chance (just escaped
the prison
and in the ice town), I missed a vendor with the enemy scanner eye/lens (or whatever the exact term is) item already?

I've already killed a dire enemy, and depending on the potential upcoming events, could miss out on some bosses as wel.

So....I'm probably just gonna have to double back, but is there any chance (just escaped
the prison
and in the ice town), I missed a vendor with the enemy scanner eye/lens (or whatever the exact term is) item already?

I've already killed a dire enemy, and depending on the potential upcoming events, could miss out on some bosses as wel.

Those don't exist in Berseria since targeting already shows you all the info you need

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Those don't exist in Berseria since targeting already shows you all the info you need

Huh.

I could have sworn there was still an equivalent mentioned in one of the tutorials for checking item drop rates and the like.

Or is it just because that's all the scanners do, that it's not necessary for enemy data 'completion' or what have you?

And I think it's time for a new composer too, or at least somelne to help change things up. Sakuraba is a broken record at this point, and it just reinforces the samey feel I get from the games.

Blame the directors. Sakuraba was told to make a "sound" for the series and stick with it. I don't think he's that great a composer to begin with, but the leash they've put him on doesn't help. They've gotten Go Shiina on a couple of times, and his tracks are phenomenal, but for some reason the team is afraid of any consistently unique musical styling.

It's not as bad as Abyss-Vesperia was though. Barring a couple of exceptions, consisting mostly of remixes of the title songs, those OSTs were nigh-indistinguishable and both unbelievably bland

Surprisingly, I'm really enjoying Berseria so far. Humor's been landing for me, which is a pleasant surprise since I found myself mostly cringing through the demo's story segment. Not looking forward to getting the mascot character, but hopefully they're slightly less irritating in game.

As someone who really liked Zestiria, though, I'm a bit bummed that they've gone back to more corridor-style small area designs. Nothing as damning as all of Xillia taking place in convenient valleys, but it feels like a step in the wrong direction. Also got really mixed feelings about the visuals. The hyper-stylized segments like the Scarlet Night scene look excellent, but then the rest just seems to have that Xillia/Zestiria style of shading where they just slap on a filter and call it a day.

Combat is fun and quite tactical, but yeah, I'm not a fan of the SG mechanic.

Maybe I need to learn and get used to it, or even maximize its potential.

Yeah, I also changed the Menu from "Start" to "X", and when in battles, it would attack and also open up the menu :(. There are categories for the button mappings, which is good, the bad thing is that "Menu" is under General and its not present in the other button mapping categories, it would've been great if they had added it to the battle section as well.

Hmm.. I guess I'll have to deal with it. 3 sets of combo is more than enough for now anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eleanor = awesome

Act two of the game is a significant improvement over the already good first act. The characters, once well established, play off of each other really well, and Laphicet in particular becomes much more fleshed out by this point (I initially hated him).

aravuus

Combat is fun and quite tactical, but yeah, I'm not a fan of the SG mechanic.

The only thing I really dislike about it is that your max combo length is tied to it. So if you're stuck with one soul, good luck stunning anyone with one-hit combos. Oh right, just dodge to get more souls? Except that dodge timing is fucking hard with a lot of the enemies and when you DO get it, someone else will probably snatch the soul cube.

I think I like everything else about it, just really, really wish the minimum combo you could do, even with just 1 or 2 souls would be 3.

Bladenic

Eleanor = awesome

Act two of the game is a significant improvement over the already good first act. The characters, once well established, play off of each other really well, and Laphicet in particular becomes much more fleshed out by this point (I initially hated him).

Act 2 has been amazing. The last few events and revelations have been great. I hope the story doesn't fall off in the latter parts as many Tales are wont to do as it's been really good so far.

aravuus

Any way to tell if an area has a (unique) dire foe I have yet to beat? From what I can tell, those are the foes that drop unique stuff like potentites, so I'd like to hunt all of them down.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The only thing I really dislike about it is that your max combo length is tied to it. So if you're stuck with one soul, good luck stunning anyone with one-hit combos. Oh right, just dodge to get more souls? Except that dodge timing is fucking hard with a lot of the enemies and when you DO get it, someone else will probably snatch the soul cube.

I think I like everything else about it, just really, really wish the minimum combo you could do, even with just 1 or 2 souls would be 3.

I dunno, after 10 hours on hard I literally never have gotten to 1 soul gauge yet. Granted I only hit two when I brazenly mistime a break arte without getting a kill, but that often doesn't last long before I am back to 3-5.

I do have to question what exactly you are doing to get so low. I mean given break artes can't be the culprit below 2 stars, it sounds like you are getting stunned way too much which suggests you need to focus on defense more and making sure to dodge or block after finishing each combo briefly to avoid counter hits. Stuns often happen when attacking at the same time as enemies.

aravuus

I dunno, after 10 hours on hard I literally never have gotten to 1 soul gauge yet. Granted I only hit two when I brazenly mistime a break arte without getting a kill, but that often doesn't last long before I am back to 3-5.

I do have to question what exactly you are doing to get so low. I mean given break artes can't be the culprit below 2 stars, it sounds like you are getting stunned way too much which suggests you need to focus on defense more and making sure to dodge or block after finishing each combo briefly to avoid counter hits. Stuns often happen when attacking at the same time as enemies.

It's only happened once so far, against the dire foe that had two absolute stun-machine scorpions with him. Posted about it earlier.

It's possible the stars just happened to align perfectly to make this the most annoying battle combination possible: two invincible small enemies that skitter around, have incredibly hard to predict attacks and very often stun you. First time with a full party, so when I DO manage to dodge, I could never get the soul cube in time. Still early game, so no particularly useful items or gear to try, certainly nothing to help with getting souls back. And the dire foe itself was this weird blob creature that could sort of melt down and move around the battlefield like that, immune to seemingly everything, so it was super hard to stun.

It wasn't even hard, just annoying. Limiting my combo to 1 didn't make the battle harder in any way, it just made it longer.

So while in theory I don't like the way souls limit your combo, it's been a problem literally once so far, and later on if I run into more annoying battles, I'll hopefully have more ways of managing my souls.

e: also Velvet is great. I mean, I like all the characters, but I was expecting her to be this hilariously over-the-top edge lord, but she's been perfectly fine so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's only happened once so far, against the dire foe that had two absolute stun-machine scorpions with him. Posted about it earlier.

Ah yea that dire foe. Just bad luck. I was stuck at 2 stars for most of that fight myself. Don't really have great tactical options at that point and tool tips do even warn that it is sometimes wise to run and try again later if issues like that crop up(but who is really going to do that!)

But yea, pretty tough to get souls replenished against that thing so early in. I'd chalk it up as part of that specific challenge, but it's a slog of a fight at 3 stars anyway.

Cornbread78

I see. I haven't finished Zestiria yet despite buying both Japanese and English release and shamefully ALL DLCs. Been watching the anime and I think it's good. Having finished Berseria gave me some thoughts about certain plot points in the anime. Maybe I'll finish the game someday

The Tales of Zestiria the X anime has a better flow and structure to the story than the game did. I can't recommend it enough. It stands alone as a good anime series without being attached to the Tales franchise.

aravuus

tool tips do even warn that it is sometimes wise to run and try again later if issues like that crop up(but who is really going to do that!)

Funnily enough, the tooltip comes after the battle, though. Same goes for many of the tooltips, for some reason, like the first time you see linked enemies the game doesn't tell you anything about them before you've already beaten them. Weird choice, imo.

bf81cde103.jpg

Velvet looking mighty menacing

Any Amazon CE pre-orderers ever hear anything from them? I just keep getting quoted its on backorder, or that my estimated delivery is way back in March.

By the time I get the game the price of the standard will have probably gone on sale lol.....

Top Bottom