• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Aeana

I just played for 6 hours or so, in coop. (Well, roughly half of that in coop, since it's ~3 hours before you get a second party member, before that in tag turns)
Seems fun so far, though I don't see the massive difference to Zestiria that was purported - which is not a criticism, I enjoyed Zestiria well enough.

Also, Denuvo seems really benign (this is my first encounter with it). Between Berseria "Fix", GeDoSaTo, MSI Afterburner and the Steam overlay I've got 4 simultaneous injection/interceptor things running and everything is working great. The framepacing is a thing of beauty, the fix does a good job improving shadows and texture shimmering, and GeDoSaTo does its thing in providing 5k downsampling and HuD-less screenshots.

Really? It's quite stuttery for me. I can't get the latest version of TBFix and Gedosato to run together, either. Since I want to play on my 4K TV but my 970 apparently can't handle full 4K at 60 FPS, I'm using Gedosato to upscale 3200x1800 to 4K and when I start the game with both running, I get an error about d3d9 not being able to size the window or something.

Plus I can't get Gedosato upscaling working at all in borderless windowed so I have to use exclusive fullscreen.

I hope I'm just doing something wrong, here.

Mik317

Enjoying this game a lot so far. Not sure why but in comparison to the previous 3 games I am enjoying it quite a bit. I hated the past 3 because the main characters were such nothings in terms of personality...Velvet is the edgiest edge lord so thats not the change. The battle system is neat but nothing great (too easy and yet I also don't get it at times....). But there is something there that feels comfy and fluffy that I am enjoying its anime ass anime stylings so far.

Durante

Really? It's quite stuttery for me. I can't get the latest version of TBFix and Gedosato to run together, either. Since I want to play on my 4K TV but my 970 apparently can't handle full 4K at 60 FPS, I'm using Gedosato to upscale 3200x1800 to 4K and when I start the game with both running, I get an error about d3d9 not being able to size the window or something.

Plus I can't get Gedosato upscaling working at all in borderless windowed so I have to use exclusive fullscreen.

I hope I'm just doing something wrong, here.
I'm using TBfix with its frame pacing and GeDoSaTo to downsample from 5k, and I think I had exactly 2 dropped frames in the 6 hours I played. This is also in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Of course, as always running multiple interception/injection things on top of each other is an "at your own risk" endeavor, and not really something that can be meaningfully remotely debugged or supported :/

I still can't believe that Cristina Vee voices Velvet.

I originally thought that she was voicing Young Velvet while another voice actor was voicing Punished Velvet but she does both.

It's one of those things where you think you know a voice actor's range after hearing them in a bunch of different games then they show up in one and give a completely unexpected performance.

Another thing to note for people who don't know but Ray Chase voices Artorius who also voices Noctis from FFXV.

That's another unexpected bit of information I found out afterwards.

Aeana

I don't know how widespread it is, but it seems like I'm a victim of the AI bug in the PC version. The AI is very, very inactive; the characters basically attack once or twice and then back off. Reminds me of the AI bug in SO3.

The fix is to connect additional controllers, or use vjoy to create fake controllers, and assign them to each character. Just having the extra controllers assigned to the characters, even with their AI set to auto, seems to bypass the bug.

EDIT: Ohhh, TBFix 4.2.3 is out and now it works for me! And yeah this is super smooth.

Bladenic

I still can't believe that Cristina Vee voices Velvet.

I originally thought that she was voicing Young Velvet while another voice actor was voicing Punished Velvet but she does both.

It's one of those things where you think you know a voice actor's range after hearing them in a bunch of different games then they show up in one and give a completely unexpected performance.

Another thing to note for people who don't know but Ray Chase voices Artorius who also voices Noctis from FFXV.

That's another unexpected bit of information I found out afterwards.

Fun bit of trivia: both JP and EN Velvet are Sailor Mars. Kind of fitting if you ask me. But yes Cristina Vee is perfect as Velvet especially when she unleashes full screams. I also found out about Ray Chase voicing Artorious after starting the game and was surprised. He's great. All the main cast is great but I just can't help but find Laphicet's voice annoying. The JP VA didn't sound as childish.

Edit: anyone know if what MA a character uses during a chain is 50/50? So I accidentally avticated Lethal Pain instead of Annihilating Crash and I thought the chain depended upon what the lead character used (as long as the rest of the characters had the BG to use second MAs etc). The next character used their first MA (but had enough BG to use their second) but the rest used their second. I also got up to 90 hits, so close to 100 :(

I don't know how widespread it is, but it seems like I'm a victim of the AI bug in the PC version. The AI is very, very inactive; the characters basically attack once or twice and then back off. Reminds me of the AI bug in SO3.

The fix is to connect additional controllers, or use vjoy to create fake controllers, and assign them to each character. Just having the extra controllers assigned to the characters, even with their AI set to auto, seems to bypass the bug.

Weird bug at least there is a way to fix it until they patch it.

This Tales of game probably has the best AI I've seen yet.

They're extremely competent in most situations. They like to dodge like crazy, even against multi-hit AOE artes. They also use all of their SG where as in previous games like Xillia I'd see people attack a couple times and back off for no reason then repeat the same instead of using all their available actions.

The fact that you can heal without having to use healing artes or items is an interesting change too and allows your party to stay up and recover even if they take some damage.

Fun bit of trivia: both JP and EN Velvet are Sailor Mars. Kind of fitting if you ask me. But yes Cristina Vee is perfect as Velvet especially when she unleashes full screams. I also found out about Ray Chase voicing Artorious after starting the game and was surprised. He's great. All the main cast is great but I just can't help but find Laphicet's voice annoying. The JP VA didn't sound as childish.

Edit: anyone know if what MA a character uses during a chain is 50/50? So I accidentally avticated Lethal Pain instead of Annihilating Crash and I thought the chain depended upon what the lead character used (as long as the rest of the characters had the BG to use second MAs etc). The next character used their first MA (but had enough BG to use their second) but the rest used their second. I also got up to 90 hits, so close to 100 :(

That's really cool when the JP/EN voice actors match up like that. I think the whole main cast is good. As for Laphicet it's strange because there are some times where he seems perfectly fine then there are others where he sounds a little bit strange. Overall I like him though. Bienfu is on another tier of annoying though but I've chalked it up to Normin being like that by design.

Wagram

i feel like i'm half way through and hard mode feels kinda easy now. how much of a step up is intense difficulty?

I've been on it since I unlocked it and it feels pretty easy. Then again I thought Hard was easy so take that what you will.

I agree on AI Competency.
I don't have to kill every enemy myself every time. I can focus on a few and know that my party will have the rest cleaned up for me.

I don't have to kill every enemy myself every time. I can focus on a few and know that my party will have the rest cleaned up for me.

My main strategy in boss fights is to take on the main boss while my party tangos with the spellcasters and small fry.

I find it works out really well and I also like how it works thematically as in having the main character duel the named antagonist while the party takes out the mooks like in TV shows/anime.

Bladenic

Speaking of killing every enemy yourself, I got into a linked battle and I had just turned it on Intense difficulty. Everyone started dropping and I switched to Velvet (been trying to play some other characters beside her) and soloed the entire battle of ~15 enemies with her alone. Too broken, nerf please.

Ain't nothing better than entering battle with 6 witch enemies and Spell Absorbing and unleashing Lighting Blast to end the battle in 3 seconds.

Also: "A corpse is a corpse, of course of course." God I love Magilou

How to you spell absorb with Magilou? I just got her in my party and want to try her out.

Here's a short tutorial to work around the AI bug on PC until Namco fixes it:

1. Download vjoy (http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/download-a-install/download)
2. Open the program and add three virtual controllers with the "add device" option
3. Load Berseria
4. In the Controller Settings menu, set Players 2-4 with vjoy inputs 1-3
5. Load your save file, go to the menu and check to see that your party members in slots 2-4 are set to Auto control mode

With that, everyone should be acting according to their Strategy settings.

How to you spell absorb with Magilou? I just got her in my party and want to try her out.

Whenever you see an enemy charging a spell, press R2/RT, and the spell will be canceled by Magilou and the green bar near her portrait will fill up. As the bar fills up from further spell absorbers, Magilou will cast special spells of varying intensity.

I had some trouble with the vjoy thing at first.. after that driver was installed, the game was no longer detecting my xbox one controller. Once I uninstalled the xbox one controller and reinstalled it, it was detected again and I was able to assign it to player 1 and the 3 vjoys to the rest of the party.

Really happy for the fixes, particularly in the framepacing area.

Bladenic

Is it too early to start shipping?

Velvet/Magilou or Artorious

Eizen/Rokurou

Laphicet/compass

Omg this line Magilou just delivered to Velvet: "Says the woman with the world's blandest personality." LMAO

Cornbread78

Oh shit, Magli's VA is Taiga from Toradora!! Great choice, I love her unique voice. I should have noticed it sooner (when making the OT), lol.

Bladenic

Just noticed Velvet's fairytale costume has her wearing a bracelet that was "Eat Me!" written on it lmao I love this game

Character tier list:

S: Velvet, Rokurou, Eizen
A: Eleanor, Laphicet, Magilou
B:
C:
D: Bienfu

I'd swap Velvet and Magilou and I think Bienfu is cute and kinda funny, maybe bumped to a B(ieeeeen).

Renmyra

I can't tell if I'm plagued by the AI bug. They seem to attack fine, but very rarely use Break Soul (I've tried different strategy settings). Samurai guy has used it 25 times and Eizen has used it 0 (!) times.

Meanwhile, I have 500+ uses on Velvet and Laphi, who joins the party later, has 90.

aitakute

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Character tier list:

S: Velvet, Rokurou, Eizen
A: Eleanor, Laphicet, Magilou
B:
C:
Character tier list:

S: Laphicet, Rokurou, Eleanor
A: Eizen, Velvet
B:
C: Magilou

Fixed

Whats the difference?

Based on my first few hours into the game, the story, characters, and combat system are all already better than Zestiria. The story is more dark and characters are deeper, for example.

Berseria is considered as the best Tales since Vesperia according to some folks here who have finished it.

Wagram

Based on my first few hours into the game, the story, characters, and combat system are all already better than Zestiria.

Berseria is considered as the best Tales since Vesperia according to some folks here who have finished it.

I'm still trying to figure out why 20 hours in.

Jiraiza

The lack of Edna
in this game is a crime against humanity. Mainly because of the potential chemistry she'd have with the entire party.

Based on my first few hours into the game, the story, characters, and combat system are all already better than Zestiria. The story is more dark and characters are deeper, for example.

Story being darker is not a sign that it's better lol. deeper characters yes. Tales games do drop in price on PS system rather quickly so I will wait for a while more before I get it.

Wagram

Because Vesperia is overrated

I like Vesperia, and I can agree with that. However, this shit doesn't hold a candle to even Vesperia (at least 20 hours in, which is a long damn time).

EDIT: "shit" didn't mean shit in a literal sense before anyone asks. Games not bad by any means. I just don't see what's so great about it either. Seems like Zesteria was so bad peoples standards dropped or something.

Does this game have an overworld/field like in Symphonia or Abyss? I played the demo and the interconnected zones are sorta not fun.

I'd rather have an overworld with areas you enter into. And then these areas would have a fixed camera. The way the demo is, it feels less...focused? Can't think of the words

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm 20 hours in and I like it better than Vesperia so far. Favorite cast and plot since Abyss, which is my favorite in the series.

Just started the game. When I got the 1st skit about
cooking for Arthur and seeing Velvet's happy face and knowing what's going to happen. WHY COULDN'T I PROTECT THIS SMILE

Shengar

I just played for 6 hours or so, in coop. (Well, roughly half of that in coop, since it's ~3 hours before you get a second party member, before that in tag turns)
Seems fun so far, though I don't see the massive difference to Zestiria that was purported - which is not a criticism, I enjoyed Zestiria well enough.

Also, Denuvo seems really benign (this is my first encounter with it). Between Berseria "Fix", GeDoSaTo, MSI Afterburner and the Steam overlay I've got 4 simultaneous injection/interceptor things running and everything is working great. The framepacing is a thing of beauty, the fix does a good job improving shadows and texture shimmering, and GeDoSaTo does its thing in providing 5k downsampling and HuD-less screenshots.

screenshot_2017-01-27blsaa.jpg

Those are some gorgeous screenshots.

Bladenic

Omg the fishing event 😂😂😂

I'm loving all these Tales shoutouts too!
A pot designed by Grune!

Does this game have an overworld/field like in Symphonia or Abyss? I played the demo and the interconnected zones are sorta not fun.

I'd rather have an overworld with areas you enter into. And then these areas would have a fixed camera. The way the demo is, it feels less...focused? Can't think of the words

No there's no overworld, just like the previous games. There are huge areas but that's about it, you're still on 3rd person perspective as usual. It seems that you can move around the world map by using the ship.

I'm liking this game a lot. It's animu as fuck but that's a Tales game; if you want your story and characters to be realistic and grounded or dressed properly, I don't know why you'd play a Tales game. But the writing for the characters and story has something the last number of games has been missing; for instance, I just saw the scene between Rokurou and Eizen in the bar drinking and it had a feeling and restrainedness that you don't normally get in a Tales game.

I like Velvet because to be honest one of the single-minded reasons I can get behind for someone is anger and revenge. Revenge stories work best for me when the person is driven by it so hard that they only care about themselves. Like Gun X Sword, this is one of those situations that works great where the antagonist is making the world a better place (or something like it) and the hero just does not give a fuck.

No there's no overworld, just like the previous games. There are huge areas but that's about it, you're still on 3rd person perspective as usual. It seems that you can move around the world map by using the ship.

Aww so it's not like Symph/Abyss/Vesp. Oh well, game looks like it'll be fun anyway

Rainy

Banned

Yeah I liked that Eizen and Rokurou bar scene as well, was just an enjoyable conversation.

I'm enjoying the game a lot 10 hours in. Moreso than I did with either of the Xillia games or Zestiria.

Also the Galles Lake Road area is pretty, well pretty for a Tales game.

Top Bottom