• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just have the issue where every few seconds there's a very minor stutter. It's hardly noticeable though and I'm 9 hours in & having a blast. (Steam version)
I'd rather wait for an official patch rather than trying a 3rd party fix.

Jeffrey

thinking of picking this up after the suprirsingly positive reviews and impressions (mostly about the cast, which is quite impressive because... tales games cast are... yeesh).

Was about to snag on steam... but this AI bug... and the demo didn't look fantastic to begin with.

Is the ps4 version 1080p 60fps? Might just get that.

MechaX

I am about 12 hours into it, and yeah... I can totally see what Shota is talking about with this one.

Unless it takes a massive nose-dive, it's probably in the top 3 Tales games for me at the moment. That's not exactly saying much, but I at least played Destiny R at least 70% of the way through, so that's figured into the mix too. The combat can get somewhat button mashy, but you get some very, very harsh punishments if you get too lazy and screw up and end up with too few souls.

I do feel like this is the first time in quite some time where Tales actually attempted to have actual fucking characters rather than walking anime tropes. For example, Rokrou and Eizen's bromance is absolutely hilarious. Laphicet has slowly been getting character development, especially through his interactions with the dudes. Magilou has been growing on me and I'm even starting to come around on Velvet despite her maximum edge (although, still not nearly as edgy as Shadow the Hedgehog, Bomberman from Act Zero, and Donte). Bienfu though is working pretty fucking hard to be more annoying than Teepo in my eyes.

The dungeons are an absolute drag, however, and it is a shame that they have to be as boring as they are.

But ultimately, the main thing that has been going in my head is "man, I sure wish I lived in an alternative universe where Xillia, Xillia 2, and Zestiria never happened and we just got Berseria in like 2012-2014 after Vesperia and Graces or something."

Please forgive my ignorance but does this game have multiplayer? I keep seeing references of 2-4 player controls or something of that nature?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I am about 12 hours into it, and yeah... I can totally see what Shota is talking about with this one.

Unless it takes a massive nose-dive, it's probably in the top 3 Tales games for me at the moment. That's not exactly saying much, but I at least played Destiny R at least 70% of the way through, so that's figured into the mix too. The combat can get somewhat button mashy, but you get some very, very harsh punishments if you get too lazy and screw up and end up with too few souls.

I do feel like this is the first time in quite some time where Tales actually attempted to have actual fucking characters rather than walking anime tropes. For example, Rokrou and Eizen's bromance is absolutely hilarious. Laphicet has slowly been getting character development, especially through his interactions with the dudes. Magilou has been growing on me and I'm even starting to come around on Velvet despite her maximum edge (although, still not nearly as edgy as Shadow the Hedgehog, Bomberman from Act Zero, and Donte). Bienfu though is working pretty fucking hard to be more annoying than Teepo in my eyes.

The dungeons are an absolute drag, however, and it is a shame that they have to be as boring as they are.

But ultimately, the main thing that has been going in my head is "man, I sure wish I lived in an alternative universe where Xillia, Xillia 2, and Zestiria never happened and we just got Berseria in like 2012-2014 after Vesperia and Graces or something."

I never played Vesperia but have been playing most Tales after Graces and this is probably the first Tales that kept me wanting more after 10 hours or so of game time. I really like the characters and story as well. The only thing that I'm not a fan of for now is the equipment system.

I wasn't paying attention that much, but yeah, it looks like my game is also affected by the AI bug. That sure does actually explain how long and difficult some of these normal battles have been.

aravuus

Yeah, I think I kinda ended up playing all day yesterday. Like I woke up around 9am, thought I'd give the game a whirl and, uh... Stopped playing at 10pm when I went out with a couple of friends.

It's pretty good.

To be honest, there are only 2 tracks I remember from Berseria OST

Second is Magilou's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JNqS2eiJo

I think Magilou's theme is the best. Really suit her character

Hah, I knew this'd be the other one. I rarely like these sort of "goofy" songs in JRPGs, but I really like this one.

Unfortunately, it's literally the only song I remember. Everything else has been incredibly bland, like I have NO recollection of any of the other themes. When this one started playing in
the abbey
, I remember thinking to myself "oh, a song I'll actually remember".

Magilou has been growing on me as a character too. I didn't dislike her at the beginning per se, but I'm really starting to like her snark and humor.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bienfu is the only thing about this game I don't like. (Well, I could do without Velvet's edginess, but it's not a dealbreaker for the game or even for her character)

Teepo was funny sometimes, even if he was annoying. Bienfu is just always annoying.

Mieu was the best mascot.

As for music, even the better tracks have been super generic. This is made especially apparent when you
meet Zaveid and his Go Shiina music plays during the fight. The comparison between that and the Sakuraba score is jarring.

Shouta

s8mV8Bs.gif

Bienfu is the only thing about this game I don't like. (Well, I could do without Velvet's edginess, but it's not a dealbreaker for the game or even for her character)

Teepo was funny sometimes, even if he was annoying. Bienfu is just always annoying.

Mieu was the best mascot.

Ergh, Mieu.

Teepo > Bienfu >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mieu

Normix Phoenix has them all beat though. He should have been a proper mascot.

aravuus

I'm not even gonna start comparing the mascot characters

It's like comparing different sorts of shits

Now that I'm listening to it on Youtube, Rokurou's theme is pretty fun too. Still fairly forgettable, mind.

If you count Repede as a mascot, I'm pretty sure everyone would think he was the best.

I'm not sure I'd personally count him, but yeah if we do - absolutely the best by a light year.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
s8mV8Bs.gif

Ergh, Mieu.

Teepo > Bienfu >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mieu

Normix Phoenix has them all beat though. He should have been a proper mascot.
But Mieu even had scenes good for people who hated him. Luke abused the poor thing like crazy. Using him as the Sorcerer's Ring was genius.

If you count Repede as a mascot, I'm pretty sure everyone would think he was the best. Coda from Innocence was BY FAR the worst though. His voice made me want to kill something.

Also, the Saleh'toma flower is a nice, subtle nod to Tales of Rebirth, especially in how its color scheme is the same as Saleh's and how its medicine tastes horrible. I love how this game is full of little references.

Whogie

Confession time: I've been using the arte "You Decide" almost exclusively.

Tried the AI fix.

HUUUUUUUUUGE difference. This is a major fucking bug.

Seriously! I was annoyed with how timid they were. And I just learned the AI is supposed to be using their Mystic Artes...

aravuus

I gotta check out this AI fix, they've definitely been doing nothing for me too.

Confession time: I've been using the arte "You Decide" almost exclusively.

What does it even do? Just uses a random arte?

e: tried the vjoy thing and I can otherwise play fine, but now the camera keeps aiming up, like my controllers right stick was constantly in the up position.

I love PC gaming, but why must playing with a controller always be such a fucking hassle

aravuus

Uninstalling vjoy helped. I have two extra controllers so I guess I'll just connect those and never touch them lol.

Kinda'. Seems better than random. I get red hits a lot, so I think the AI might be choosing what's best. (or I'm totally wrong)

Interesting, I'll have to check if I can reset some of them back to "You Decide". Already got artes assigned to all buttons and parts of the combos.

Whogie

Interesting, I'll have to check if I can reset some of them back to "You Decide". Already got artes assigned to all buttons and parts of the combos.

You can remove abilities and it defaults to "You Decide". (Again, not sure if it's good practice to do this :p )

aravuus

Unbelievable, Tales of Berseria doesn't work at all when I have my Xbone controller connected with the DS4s. Just straight up crashes.

Good stuff.

e: well, with the other DS4 connected, the game recognizes 4 controllers - 2 xinput ones and 2 "wireless controllers", whatever that means. Assigned those, put everyone on auto and in the very first battle I see a party member use a mystic arte for the first time. Looks like it worked. I wonder how such a huge bug managed to slip through.

Bladenic

But Mieu even had scenes good for people who hated him. Luke abused the poor thing like crazy. Using him as the Sorcerer's Ring was genius.

If you count Repede as a mascot, I'm pretty sure everyone would think he was the best. Coda from Innocence was BY FAR the worst though. His voice made me want to kill something.

Also, the Saleh'toma flower is a nice, subtle nod to Tales of Rebirth, especially in how its color scheme is the same as Saleh's and how its medicine tastes horrible. I love how this game is full of little references.

Yes, the game is FILLED with Tales references everywhere. It's honestly awesome and they constantly pop up.

As for mascots, it's Repede > Tenebrae > Noishe > Teepo. Mieu's voice makes his the worst.

Forgot to mention that I got Eizen's second MA earlier and it's amazing. CANT WAIT to see the rest of them.

Renmyra

I gotta check out this AI fix, they've definitely been doing nothing for me too.

e: tried the vjoy thing and I can otherwise play fine, but now the camera keeps aiming up, like my controllers right stick was constantly in the up position.

I love PC gaming, but why must playing with a controller always be such a fucking hassle

I had that problem at first too, but it went away after I assigned controllers to all players.

robertoci

Loving the game so far, put about 5 hours into it at this point.

My only real complaint is why the hell did they make gear the way it is? Granted the only other tales game I've played is Vesperia so this system may have been in the past few iterations, you just get spammed with the same items over and over in the early game and it makes sorting out equipment a pain in the ass.

Otherwise everything else is great, nice to play a traditional style JRPG again and hope it carries this momentum through the game.

PaulSane

I had that problem at first too, but it went away after I assigned controllers to all players.

Had the exact same problem after installing vjoy, and can confirm that assigning those vjoy controllers to players 2-4 in-game solves the issue.

aravuus

Had the exact same problem after installing vjoy, and can confirm that assigning those vjoy controllers to players 2-4 in-game solves the issue.

Already uninstalled, but good to hear it's not a problem!

Loving the game so far, put about 5 hours into it at this point.

My only real complaint is why the hell did they make gear the way it is? Granted the only other tales game I've played is Vesperia so this system may have been in the past few iterations, you just get spammed with the same items over and over in the early game and it makes sorting out equipment a pain in the ass.

Otherwise everything else is great, nice to play a traditional style JRPG again and hope it carries this momentum through the game.

I'm okay with it, just wish it was easier to tell in the shop screen what I should or shouldn't dismantle.

This is still my favorite way of attaining new skills - you know, mastering gear. It was great in Vesperia and FFIX. The problem here is that the skills are SO BORING.

I can't remember how it was in Vesperia, but getting new gear in FF IX was insanely exciting cause you'd always get something impactful, stuff like immunities to certain status effects, massive damage boosts against certain enemy types, fucking AUTO-HASTE, stuff like that. Actual game changers pretty much each and every one of them.

Here, it's like whatever, who the fuck cares. Oh wow, is that new gear? Wait... Oh. It's nothing. It gives me +50 hp when I kill someone. That's gonna help, when enemy attacks deal 200+ dmg and my max hp is over 1000. Or it gives me +5 atk, which is a drop in a bucket. Or it makes me 5% more effective against some enemy type, whatever that means.

But I still gotta keep collecting and mastering these boring pieces of equipment cause way down the line I guess I'll be glad I have that +25 attack or something.

I hope the skills get more interesting later on, but right now I'm just wishing they would've gone back to the Vesperia style for good: unique weapons with actually unique skills that you can activate with skill points.

e: TL;DR: I'm loving the game but my fucking god is the itemization in this game BORING

Pons

Neo Member
Just a question, not sure if I am doing something wrong with Laphicet. Just got him in my party along with Eizen. The characters that I am letting the AI control, are all using the artes I assign them.

Laphicet is wierd though, he is not using any of his hidden artes, he is only using his malak arte, and he has used his healing arte once.

They are all checked, and all equipped on the arte stage screen the way I want them to show.

He is at like 400ish uses of his malak art, 1 healing art, 0 of his 5 or 6 hidden artes.

I thought it might be a strategy set up issue, but he is set for ranged, and the rest are the default he came set up with. It looks like he should be using the hidden artes but isn't.

Any ideas?

Bladenic

Just a question, not sure if I am doing something wrong with Laphicet. Just got him in my party along with Eizen. The characters that I am letting the AI control, are all using the artes I assign them.

Laphicet is wierd though, he is not using any of his hidden artes, he is only using his malak arte, and he has used his healing arte once.

They are all checked, and all equipped on the arte stage screen the way I want them to show.

He is at like 400ish uses of his malak art, 1 healing art, 0 of his 5 or 6 hidden artes.

I thought it might be a strategy set up issue, but he is set for ranged, and the rest are the default he came set up with. It looks like he should be using the hidden artes but isn't.

Any ideas?

No. if he's set to engage at range he'll use spells, never physical moves (I.e. Malak artes only, no martial/hidden).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I just have the issue where every few seconds there's a very minor stutter. It's hardly noticeable though and I'm 9 hours in & having a blast. (Steam version)
I'd rather wait for an official patch rather than trying a 3rd party fix.
I had the same issue, changing to full-screen mode in the graphics settings seems to have fixed it. Give that a shot.

Is anyone else having trouble setting the game to 4K? It crashes to desktop when I select it in the graphics options menu of the game.

No issues for me with 4K

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
e: TL;DR: I'm loving the game but my fucking god is the itemization in this game BORING

It never gets better. Eventually I just stopped looking at skills, and just the top numbers.

loving the game so far, just met up with eizen for the first time. may just be the best since vesperia for me. velvet is a great lead, and rukorou ''(sp?) and magilou are great characters - magilou especially. playing on moderate , though may turn it to hard once i get a healer lol.

quick q - is leveling equipment worth it in the long run? done so atm as i had no new equipment, however it doesn't appear i can master the skills it unlocks so it doesn't seem worth it to me so far.

aravuus

It never gets better. Eventually I just stopped looking at skills, and just the top numbers.

Man, that's a shame. Might start doing the same, juggling a hundred pieces of gear between 5 characters just to learn "+1% to this worthless thing!" skills is starting to get cumbersome.

Lnds500

I just fought
Artorius
for the first time and got the second story trophy. How much more is there? I am half-way?

The more i play the game the more i like it but there is no way iam finishing this on time before writing a review. :/

bomblord1

Banned
I just got out the Tower in the opening and saved at the snowy area immediately after that. I'm still VERY early on but I posses a few thoughts so far. The spoilers are for somewhere the 1st hour of the game.

I'm going to be comparing this to the opening of Zestiria.

First off I can't say I really like Velvet nearly as much as I liked Sorey in the opening of Zestiria. Velvet feels way too shallow by comparison. Sorey had hints at deep existing relationships (especially with Mikleo), he had some mystery about him (how was he able to see these Seraphim when Alishia couldn't), his personality had a bit more nuance and the opening itself while a bit more mundane did a better job of grounding me in the world and giving the characters a personality and backstory to build off of.

Bersaria on the other hand just throws everything at you at once. Multiple party members with absolutely no buildup for their personality or backstory, a large number of confusing terms,
your entire village slaughtered, your teacher killing your brother
, and Velvet goes from someone I was starting to get a grasp on the personality of to 2 dimensional revenge filled "monster" with an absolute one track mind in the matter of less than an hour. Obviously she still has plenty of room to grow and become more nuanced but at the moment she has left me a bit wanting. I will say they did a decent job of building up the relationship between her and her brother which gave the
death scene
a bit more impact. A lot of games just throw in the
dead kid
trope and expect us to feel something when they made no attempt to humanize them. Also the
Shipwreck
felt incredibly forced. We're pulling out of the harbor and the next scene we're on land. No explanation, buildup, or anything literally a fade to black and then we are on land.

Cornbread78

I just fought
Artorius
for the first time and got the second story trophy. How much more is there? I am half-way?

The more i play the game the more i like it but there is no way iam finishing this on time before writing a review. :/

Trophies in Tales games are stingy a pain in the butt..

SolVanderlyn

Alright, clocked in almost 25 hours
about to head to Amenoch's temple - the Earth Empyrean
. Really want to see where the story goes, especially since
Zestiria terms are starting to pop up, like Malevolence,
but I need to take a break, lol.

Top Bottom