• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Only me who thinks this is the weakest battle system from a tales game since Symphonia? I mean it's still decent but it's a step down. Even with it's flaws I'm willing to concede that Berseria is the best entry since vesperia (Vesperia is quite a bit better though imo). Spent 15 hours on it over a 2 day period. Not bad at all.

What? I am about 6 hours in and I think it's one of the best battle systems from all Tales games. Like it a lot.

aravuus

Oh wow, I'm like 16 hours in and out of curiosity decided to check out how far in I am and going by the table of contents of the only walkthrough on Gamefaqs, I'm like 25% through the story. Thought I was running through the game, clearly that's not the case.

I'm sure it'll start going by faster now that I've decided to not give a fuck about equipment skills, though. Feels like I've wasted hours trying to optimize the skill stuff.

That's sarcasm, right? The one big turning point most credit for Luke turning worse (which I don't really agree) actually makes all party behave like uncompassionate assholes. Least likeable Tales cast to me nowadays.

Of course it was, he's like the most hated JRPG guy ever. I personally love Luke and the whole cast even though they're all cunts. Maybe I love them because they are all cunts.

Anoxida

Holy crap. I was thinking the game on moderate was easy before now with the AI fix its incredibly easy. I just assumed the AI was shit lul. Tbh about my previous post perhaps why I didnt enjoy the combat that mucj before was because of the AI bug. Still not as good as Graces F and xillia though ;)

I'm sure it'll start going by faster now that I've decided to not give a fuck about equipment skills, though. Feels like I've wasted hours trying to optimize the skill stuff

Im gonna do this. Im sticking with my current celcite equipment and im.just gonna upgrade evrrything to +10 eventually and not care about skills or anything. Its hard to give a flying fuck about new gear when you have 20 amber boots in your inventory. The item/skill system in this game is absolute trash but I dont care still enjoying the game.

aravuus

Bet a hundred bucks this game was supposed to have an in-game dictionary or something and they just forgot to implement it, cause it's doing an awful goddamn job explaining all the terms.

I don't think the below are really spoilers, but tagged just in case.

Empyreans are gods, right? Three gods, for each element or something? And Innominat is the name of the supposed fourth Empyrean?

What the hell is the earthpulse?

Not even gonna start with the whole malakhan and daemon business.

Holy crap. I was thinking the game on moderate was easy before now with the AI fix its incredibly easy. I just assumed the AI was shit lul. Tbh about my previous post perhaps why I didnt enjoy the combat that mucj before was because of the AI bug. Still not as good as Graces F and xillia though ;)

Nothing gets close to Graces F. Bump the difficulty to hard though. It's still easy, but not AS easy and maybe you'd enjoy it more.

Anoxida

Bet a hundred bucks this game was supposed to have an in-game dictionary or something and they just forgot to implement it, cause it's doing an awful goddamn job explaining all the terms.

Empyreans are gods, right? Three gods, for each element or something? And Innominat is the name of the supposed fourth Empyrean?

Nothing gets close to Graces F. Bump the difficulty to hard though. It's still easy, but not AS easy and maybe you'd enjoy it more.

Bro I think we're in the same place.
empyreans throne
. And yed to your spoiler text.

about 11 hours in and I enjoying this; switched over to playing to Rokurou and haven't looked back, the only problem is now Velvelt loves to spam her daemon mode

I'm actuall feeling sorry for Eleanor....
she is getting the brakes beaten off of her right now

First hevaless
Then the port
and now the inner sanctuary

I know she'll eventually join via to uncover the dark side of the Abbey, but damn I wouldn't be surprised if she join off of some Stockholm syndrome

also Magilou is top tier humor!!!

Magickazam!!!!

For anyone that's completed the game, without spoiling anything, is the endgame any good or is that something to save for new game plus? Is there "ultimate" gear, quests for weapons etc?

Alucrid

Banned

empyreans are gods. there are four earth, wind, water, fire. innominant is supposed to be a fifth empyrean that no one has heard of. earthpulses have something to do with the earth/nature's innate power. i guess it's a manifestation of it or something. malak are just spiritual beings that can appear in many forms. demons are just people who succumb to malevolence or malak whose vessel succumbs to malevolence or are exposed to too much external malevolence.

kromeo

Oh wow, I'm like 16 hours in and out of curiosity decided to check out how far in I am and going by the table of contents of the only walkthrough on Gamefaqs, I'm like 25% through the story. Thought I was running through the game, clearly that's not the case.

I'm sure it'll start going by faster now that I've decided to not give a fuck about equipment skills, though. Feels like I've wasted hours trying to optimize the skill stuff.

Of course it was, he's like the most hated JRPG guy ever. I personally love Luke and the whole cast even though they're all cunts. Maybe I love them because they are all cunts.

Guy isn't, kind of :p

aravuus

Bro I think we're in the same place.
empyreans throne
. And yed to your spoiler text.

Around there, yeah. For now I guess I'll just ignore the earthpulse talk and go with the flow. Really really enjoying the story despite being a bit lost.

empyreans are gods. there are four earth, wind, water, fire. innominant is supposed to be a fifth empyrean that no one has heard of. earthpulses have something to do with the earth/nature's innate power. i guess it's a manifestation of it or something. malak are just spiritual beings that can appear in many forms. demons are just people who succumb to malevolence or malak whose vessel succumbs to malevolence or are exposed to too much external malevolence.

Oh yeah, four + fifth, of course. Maybe earthpulse gets explained later on.

Guy isn't, kind of :p

True. Guy's an absolute sweetheart.

Wagram

Funny thing is I like most of the cast except for Velvet. I don't find her likable at all, even before the moment that made her the way she is. Her outfit and personality just suck.

Anoxida

Funny thing is I like most of the cast except for Velvet. I don't find her likable at all, even before the moment that made her the way she is. Her outfit and personality just suck.

I feel like shes the weakest character so far too. I think she has room to improve though. Before she was too naive and innocent now she feels a bit too edgy. Im hoping she'll reach a middleground.

aravuus

Thankfully you can make her look much more tolerable with some slight outfit changes!

86a483bb93.jpg

The eyepatch is just perfect for her and Eizen

9eba83e7c4.jpg

Unfortunately things are a bit different with Rokurou lol

7df4ebc874.jpg

e: oh my god I totally forgot you can modify the placement of the attachments. Gotta make Velvet look goofy as fuck.

Anoxida

Around there, yeah. For now I guess I'll just ignore the earthpulse talk and go with the flow. Really really enjoying the story despite being a bit lost.

Oh yeah, four + fifth, of course. Maybe earthpulse gets explained later on.

True. Guy's an absolute sweetheart.

Its weird where I am im getting last act kind of vibes from the story but less than 25% complete

Finally beat it. I must say this is in my top 3 Tales games with Vesperia and Graces..I can't rate the top 3 in rank though >.> Time to work on my platinum.Oh and Magilou is the best RPG character in atleast the past decade.

Bladenic

Finally beat it. I must say this is in my top 3 Tales games with Vesperia and Graces..I can't rate the top 3 in rank though >.> Time to work on my platinum.Oh and Magilou is the best RPG character in atleast the past decade.

How much time did you spend? I've been playing non-stop since release and I'm almost 50 hours at the ruins on the north continent. I usually take a long time with Tales games, not sure if it's because I fight a lot of battles or what.

How much time did you spend? I've been playing non-stop since release and I'm almost 50 hours at the ruins on the north continent. I usually take a long time with Tales games, not sure if it's because I fight a lot of battles or what.

Around 60 hours but I spent a lot of time going to every ! I saw in towns and I almost never skipped fights between towns and dungeons, I also never used the fast travel potions since I was scared of missing skits. I only played on normal though and there was not one single hard fight in the entire game =\ Difficulty never spiked like I was told it would =\

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Guys

Velvet + Hat Hair + Left Bang + Villager Outfit =

Amazing

Mivey

Every time I think about Eizen's fate I get sad :(
You are just not thinking about it the right way. His fate makes sense if you think about it as a metaphor for the absurdities of the human condition and mostly how lazy Japanese game writing can be.

What.

The.

FUCK!

There's a Berseris anime? With amazing animation?! Sign me the hell up!
Let me correct myself, that's a 2 episode special in the Tales of Zestiria the X anime. We are supposed to have another 2 episode soon. The Zestiria anime is well worth a watch it fixes a lot of problem the game had so far.

Bladenic

What.

The.

FUCK!

There's a Berseris anime? With amazing animation?! Sign me the hell up!

Nah, 2 episodes of Zestiria the X focused on the beginning of Berseria in the prison. The events were a little different from the game (aka more elaborate and more epic). But there's no specific Berseria anime, unless they announce it after Zestiria is done.

ryushe

Let me correct myself, that's a 2 episode special in the Tales of Zestiria the X anime. We are supposed to have another 2 episode soon. The Zestiria anime is well worth a watch it fixes a lot of problem the game had so far.
Well, that's good to know since I never planned on going back to Zesty anyway, but was interested in the story. More so since I've been playing Berseria.

I'll definitely give the anime a go. Thanks.

Wagram

Only me who thinks this is the weakest battle system from a tales game since Symphonia? I mean it's still decent but it's a step down. Even with it's flaws I'm willing to concede that Berseria is the best entry since vesperia (Vesperia is quite a bit better though imo). Spent 15 hours on it over a 2 day period. Not bad at all.

Without having played Zesteria I will say it's one of my least favorite in awhile. It's even more mashy than normal.

On a side note. The story is getting much better.

Is there a way to get different battle themes like in Zestiria?

I believe there are unlockable "outfits" (actually just the default outfit, but just classed as an outfit for convenience I guess) you get through the minigame currency that allow you to change battle music

Bladenic

So, as I thought, Velvet
is being called the Lord of Calamity. I figured she would be the first one. Still, pretty cool.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Zestiria and Armotization was worse. This is actually pretty god once you get the hang of building your combos and playing on harder difficulties.

Man the AI in this game with certain characters are crap .
I have been playing for over 60 hours and Phi has done his level 1 MA 5 times.
He has not done the second one up to now no matter what i do .
Guess i have to play him .

Zestiria and Armotization was worse. This is actually pretty god once you get the hang of building your combos and playing on harder difficulties.

This is the truth .

My main gripe with the battle system is that there should be a better way of regaining souls against bosses, especially when many bosses can make you lose souls even without you using a break soul

Bladenic

Man the AI in this game with certain characters are crap .
I have been playing for over 60 hours and Phi has done his level 1 MA 5 times.
He has not done the second one up to now no matter what i do .
Guess i have to play him .

This is the truth .

Or you could also make use of the mystic arte chaining to use his. I think the game doesn't even tell you about that which is a shame.

Vitanimus

Figured I'd ask here - I'm experiencing a lot of slowdown trying to play the PC demo on my 970. Apparently the game defaults to my integrated graphics and I'm meant to be able to override this in the nvidia control panel but I have no option to do this. Any ideas?

Top Bottom