• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
God damn is Magilou annoying. Who the fuck finds this kind of character entertaining?
I guess I'm not the only one.

interesting, flaws in gameplay ?
The equipment and skill system is a huge step up from Zestiria, but still wonky. The way upgrades work, you might find that newer weapons are actually worse because your older, already upgraded weapon is better. To top it off, you need to keep older weapons equipped until you master them to get skills from them. It's not a game breaker - more slightly annoying if anything - but it's one of the game's biggest flaws, IMO. Story wise, Velvet is kind of one-note for the beginning parts of the story.

The game is absolutely great, though. Others have said it already, but the characters feel like actual characters and not walking tropes. The skits are very well done. The overarching plot is really interesting, too, especially if you played Zestiria and catch all the name mentions. So far, they've just made me go, "huh?" but in a good way. Something has to happen between where I am and the end of the game for the characters, terms, and events I'm seeing now to make sense in Zestiria, and I really want to find out what that is. Even if you've never touched Zestiria, it works perfectly well as a standalone story, as well.

Every character is fun to play as, which is a first for me. Well... maybe not Magilou.

bomblord1

Banned
Does the game get any harder?

Outside of one admittedly stupid mistake I made on the
dragon
at the end of the tower I have yet to come even close to dying. I've only used a single apple gel so far. (I'm still fairly early we just
shipwrecked
)

I started the game on normal but I'm thinking about upping the difficulty. I don't want to turn it down if it gets more difficult later though.

Angel_DvA

I guess I'm not the only one.

The equipment and skill system is a huge step up from Zestiria, but still wonky. The way upgrades work, you might find that newer weapons are actually worse because your older, already upgraded weapon is better. To top it off, you need to keep older weapons equipped until you master them to get skills from them. It's not a game breaker - more slightly annoying if anything - but it's one of the game's biggest flaws, IMO. Story wise, Velvet is kind of one-note for the beginning parts of the story.

The game is absolutely great, though. Others have said it already, but the characters feel like actual characters and not walking tropes. The skits are very well done. The overarching plot is really interesting, too, especially if you played Zestiria and catch all the name mentions. So far, they've just made me go, "huh?" but in a good way. Something has to happen between where I am and the end of the game for the characters, terms, and events I'm seeing now to make sense in Zestiria, and I really want to find out what that is. Even if you've never touched Zestiria, it works perfectly well as a standalone story, as well.

Interesting story and characters in a Tales game ? color me interested... Xilia 2 was my last TO and it was terrible, Zestria didn't look good enough, I'll probably bite on this one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Interesting story and characters in a Tales game ? color me interested... Xilia 2 was my last TO and it was terrible, Zestria didn't look good enough, I'll probably bite on this one.
FWIW I didn't like Xillia 2 either. Zestiria I thought was actually a bit better but with more glaring flaws and an unfinished story (seems to be a trend these days)

If you like Berseria you can always pick up Zesty Tales cheap these days and play it as a sequel. Hell, it'll probably make more sense after playing Berseria.

Rpgmonkey

Does the game get any harder?

Outside of one admittedly stupid mistake I made on the
dragon
at the end of the tower I have yet to come even close to dying. I've only used a single apple gel so far. (I'm still fairly early we just
shipwrecked
)

I started the game on normal but I'm thinking about upping the difficulty. I don't want to turn it down if it gets more difficult later though.

I'd say the difficulty jumps to a higher interval every 8 or so hours, with it being more pronounced depending on your difficulty setting.

And it's not that it's really becomes brutal outside of a boss here and there, just that it becomes more punishing if your party loses momentum in the fight, or if you aren't finding better ways to handle certain enemy groups.

bomblord1

Banned
I'd say the difficulty jumps to a higher interval every 8 or so hours, with it being more pronounced depending on your difficulty setting.

And it's not that it's really becomes brutal outside of a boss here and there, just that it becomes more punishing if your party loses momentum in the fight, or if you aren't finding better ways to handle certain enemy groups.

Alright I'll probably switch it to hard then

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm only 9 hours in but I like her so far :)

I'm only a couple hours in so maybe she gets better later, but I didn't like my first impression. Oh well, I will probably use her anyway because I like "black mage" type characters in Tales games!

Stalwart

e: tried the vjoy thing and I can otherwise play fine, but now the camera keeps aiming up, like my controllers right stick was constantly in the up position.

I love PC gaming, but why must playing with a controller always be such a fucking hassle

Activate 2, 3 and 4 and then uncheck all the "Axes" boxes except for X Y and Z. It'll fix your camera problem. Then go into controller settings in the menu and add the 3 profiles to players 2-4 and you can set it to auto and play without hassle.

Dinda

I really love the game. 15 hours or so in this is probably my favourite tales game. I hope it can keep this up. Love the cast and the story is interesting for a change.

Having said that it's a bit of a shame that the music in this doesn't really hold up to the rest. I hope it will have a few better themes later, but i'm not impressed till now.
Especially compared to something like Vesperia, where i for example always visited places like Aspio when i was nearby even if i haven't had anything to do there just to listen to the theme a bit and move on.

by the way is there no world map or even overworld in the game? I thought i would have that after like 15 hours. But i still only have local maps.

What characters have resurrection spells? I believe Eleanor has it, but is there more than her?

Also, if I'm playing as Velvet, what other party members do you recommend? I was thinking Eizen, Eleanor and maybe Magilou.

straylize

What characters have resurrection spells? I believe Eleanor has it, but is there more than her?

Also, if I'm playing as Velvet, what other party members do you recommend? I was thinking Eizen, Eleanor and maybe Magilou.

I do a lot of on-the-fly switching based on who I need, but if I'm playing as Velvet, it's usually those three, with Laphicet being swapped in if I need another caster or healer (or the very rare occurrence someone KOs and I don't want to wait on a revive).

Aeana

Sometimes in battle, I get a blue effect on the bottom half of the screen with little hexagons all over it. What's that about?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait is this connected to Symphonia in some way? Got a skit about Dhaos, Martel and Kharland

Nah, just a fun reference for fans to pick up on. This is a 20th anniversary game, do expect to see lots of subtle nods and winks to games you've played and some that go completely over your head from those you haven't. Zestiria is the only game with literal connections.

benzopil

Man I wish I had a sister like Velvet, she's so cool :(

Did previous games have such likable protagonists? This is my first Tales game

aravuus

Holy shit, the AI fix makes a world of difference. Before this I usually killed almost every enemy by myself, now I'm killing maybe a third of the enemy party and the AI takes care of the rest.

It's so awesome when your AI partners are actually competent. Can't wait to play KH again soon with those worthless losers Goofy and Donald lol.

Oh yeah, Tales of the Abyss is particularly well known for it's universally likable protagonist

So how do I trigger the cut scene super? I hit L2 while I have 3 souls up during s combo but nothing happens, it only happens sometimes. Is it a special combi I have to pull off?

Really loving Berseria so far. It's one of those games I can't wait to get off of work to play. Just got past the
Shadow guild quest
but it was super late.

Also, I unlocked intense difficulty, any benefits to playing on that as opposed to hard? Anything under hard has been way too easy so I welcome any increase in difficulty.

Oh yeah, Tales of the Abyss is particularly well known for it's universally likable protagonist

I like Luke quite a bit. Yeah, he's annoying at the beginning. But it's in a believable way given his upbringing. And the way they illustrate his growth is actually fairly clever and unique for a video game. The fact that killing/death are SUCH a shock to him at first, despite his self-centered brattyness, while his much more supposedly socially well adjusted companions are like "no big deal" works particularly well. Luke was a jerk because nothing in his life had any weight or import. Once he sees how his actions have real impact on others, he begins to build a value system, and ends up a pretty cool guy.

IMO Zestiria's Sorey and Symphonia' Lloyd Irving had the most likable protagonist. Abyss had the worst. If you want someone similar to Velvet personnality wise, at risk of sounding opposite, I would say Symphonia 2 Emil is your best bet.
-------------------

Man IMO having played Zestiria before makes for such a cool experience for Berseria's story. You connect stuff in your head a lot. Really fun.

jdevil99

Oh lord the skit about the books with Bienfu and Laphicet!! xD

I laugh every time Bienfu says "Bieeeeeen!!!"

Just watched this skit yesterday, I was rolling on the floor, between that and....well, almost all of Yakuza 0, it's been a long time since I've laughed so consistently during gaming sessions. But yeah, this is my favorite game since Vesperia, and I've been playing since Phantasia launched. I'm happy that my favorite series still has the potential to be great.

Ydelnae

I started the game today and I've been getting a Destiny feeling about my overall experience so far. The combat seems very good but the game throws too many terms at you.

I'm currently in the first town. I hope the amounts of
"Artoriuuuuuus!", "I will avenge my family", "*something happens* I do not care, my goal is to kill Artorius"
lessen with time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nah, just a fun reference for fans to pick up on. This is a 20th anniversary game, do expect to see lots of subtle nods and winks to games you've played and some that go completely over your head from those you haven't. Zestiria is the only game with literal connections.
Ooh. Got giddy there for a second.

Datschge

That's sarcasm, right? The one big turning point most credit for Luke turning worse (which I don't really agree) actually makes all party behave like uncompassionate assholes. Least likeable Tales cast to me nowadays.

Anoxida

Only me who thinks this is the weakest battle system from a tales game since Symphonia? I mean it's still decent but it's a step down. Even with it's flaws I'm willing to concede that Berseria is the best entry since vesperia (Vesperia is quite a bit better though imo). Spent 15 hours on it over a 2 day period. Not bad at all.

Zafir

That's sarcasm, right? The one big turning point most credit for Luke turning worse (which I don't really agree) actually makes all party behave like uncompassionate assholes. Least likeable Tales cast to me nowadays.

I mean, considering Luke's actions/dialogue up until that point, it's not exactly unexpected. That was just the tipping point frankly.

I only found Anise to be annoying at that point, but she's just a awful character in general.

Lnds500

... it's the entire premise of the game and is heavily featured on trailers and such, but okay, I will spoiler it if necessary.

Sorry haven't been following the game's marketing. It's just that a lot of people in here refrain from giving details about that part in particular.

Not gonna lie, I was a bit meh on the demo but these impressions surely sound good.

I'll get it after a discount since I won't shell out 60€ for this series anymore. The burn was too hard.

Top Bottom