• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Rainy

Banned
What party of four do you guys like the best? I usually like Velvet, Laphicet, Eizen, and Magilou. Though I switch in Rokurou or Eleanor for Eizen occasionally.

Bladenic

I switch around a lot but I've found Velvet, Laphicet, Magilou, and Eleanor to be most effective for me during bosses and whatnot. All those spells flying everywhere.

bomblord1

Banned
Wow I hadn't even thought about that but you're pretty spot on.

You lost me here, especially with that garbage Rose. Besides the standout characters were Edna and Lailah. Although Sorey was a great protagonist too I thought.

I'm not too far in so they certainly have time to get better (I just got to the capital) but I really liked most of Zestiria's cast. Don't know why I skipped putting Edna on that list she was top tier as well. Lailah was ok but she didn't really do much for she was just kind of there. Sorey is easily my favorite Tales Protagonists I think he's actually surpassed Lloyd for me.

I switch around a lot but I've found Velvet, Laphicet, Magilou, and Eleanor to be most effective for me during bosses and whatnot. All those spells flying everywhere.

This is what I used as soon as I got all 4 of them. Worked great the entire time, never died at all, quick fights too.

Loke13

Jesus fuck Eleanor is hilarious she's such a
terrible spy. That virtuous spy skit had me dying I love how everybody in the group knows that she's a spy (except for Laphi of course).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
7GZ0RMw.png
zgklXrY.png
kKjbygh.png
nWKiz8j.png

These should work fine as Wallpapers.

This Tales has the most interesting story in quite a long time imho. I buy all the Tales games, and normally play a few hours and say "that was cool" and move on to something else pretty quickly. But this one has its hooks in me. Will keep going!

Two quick questions:

1. Do all the Katz boxes have something in them? I think I just opened one and got nothing, just want to make sure its no weird bug or anything...

2. Speaking of bugs, is everyone's PC version bugged in terms of teammate AI? Or is it just happening to some people? I couldn't really tell so far, it seems like my teammates are attacking enough and not just standing around after one hit...

So is this finally a "good" Tales of... game? This series is so decisive for people, that I never know which ones to jump in on. I kept hearing Xillia wasn't good, then Xillia 2 wasn't either...and neither was Zestiria supposedly. I probably should have played one of those though, because I always read that people hated the story in Graces f, and that's the only game in the series I played through, and I loved it. Great game, I liked the characters, funny dialogue at times, and addictive combat.

Two quick questions:

1. Do all the Katz boxes have something in them? I think I just opened one and got nothing, just want to make sure its no weird bug or anything...

2. Speaking of bugs, is everyone's PC version bugged in terms of teammate AI? Or is it just happening to some people? I couldn't really tell so far, it seems like my teammates are attacking enough and not just standing around after one hit...

1. No, but from what I understand the Katz boxes rewards are given after a number of katz boxes rather than being box specific

This Tales has the most interesting story in quite a long time imho. I buy all the Tales games, and normally play a few hours and say "that was cool" and move on to something else pretty quickly. But this one has its hooks in me. Will keep going!

Shit I might have to get this. I do the same thing with every Tales game - starved for jRPGs, get hyped for a new Tales, buy it, get bored by the tropey story, put it down after 10ish hours.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So is this finally a "good" Tales of... game? This series is so decisive for people, that I never know which ones to jump in on. I kept hearing Xillia wasn't good, then Xillia 2 wasn't either...and neither was Zestiria supposedly. I probably should have played one of those though, because I always read that people hated the story in Graces f, and that's the only game in the series I played through, and I loved it. Great game, I liked the characters, funny dialogue at times, and addictive combat.

Xillia games are decent but 2 being set in the same world and recycling all the places from the first game kinda makes it a chore but it does have improvements. The story on 2 is pretty good but the debt system weights it down and 1 after the 3rd act the game story goes to shit. Zestiria has too many issues from story being pretty generic, the big empty fields and the annoying equipment system to keep it short.

Berseria is great tho

Does Velvets racy outfit ever get explained (thereby making us ashamed of our words and deeds) or is it there just for the fan service?

Bladenic

Does Velvets racy outfit ever get explained (thereby making us ashamed of our words and deeds) or is it there just for the fan service?

Just that
she got whatever rags she could find in the prison and that she simply doesn't give a flying fuck what she wears.

She just finds it in a chest. A bit later on when you're in a snow area her party members ask her how she could handle the cold and it's implied that she can't feel pain as a daemon.

I liked all the modern tales of games. I think Xillia + Xillia 2 and Zestiria were good games. They all had little flaws here and there, but still solid tales of games. Finished and enjoyed them all.

Berseria seems like to be the best of the bunch. It has all the strengths from the previous modern mentioned titles, and reduced the flaws.
Great Battle System, super good cast, very interesting and dark story + good writing, 60fps, a little better visuals than the previous PS3 games etc. Feels like the best overall package.

I liked all the modern tales of games. I think Xillia + Xillia 2 and Zestiria were good games. They all had little flaws here and there, but still solid tales of games. Finished and enjoyed them all.

Berseria seems like to be the best of the bunch. It has all the strengths from the previous modern mentioned titles, and reduced the flaws.
Great Battle System, super good cast, very interesting and dark story + good writing, 60fps, a little better visuals than the previous PS3 games etc. Feels like the best overall package.

If only it had Go Shiina doing the OST ;(

Renmyra

I may hate this equipment system even more than Zestiria's.

570 grade to learn something like 1.12x burning capability is really discouraging. Especially when you get a far better weapon from the story. Of course it comes mastered as well, no need to ever use this weapon!

On the other hand, the caster AI with the fix is probably the best in the series so far. They're incredibly potent at dodging.

The outfit is shit and no amount of storytelling can justify it.

Yeah, after a while the outfit is starting to annoy me, tbh. Even though we can change her outfit, it reverts back to the original outfit in cutscenes and skits. We can't change it in those instances. Such disappointing design decision from the devs considering the quality of the game overall.

If only it had Go Shiina doing the OST ;(

Damn, yeah. Loved the Shiina Songs in Zestiria. Best Songs in the game. Didn't knew about Shiina before Zestiria (shame on me).
He also did God Eater Music, which i really liked. He also made the Tales Of Legendia Soundtrack, right?

Why isn't he doing stuff in every tales of game?

Ralemont

not me
Damn, yeah. Loved the Shiina Songs in Zestiria. Best Songs in the game. Didn't knew about Shiina before Zestiria (shame on me).
He also did God Eater Music, which i really liked. He also made the Tales Of Legendia Soundtrack, right?

Why isn't he doing stuff in every tales of game?

Legendia soundtrack yeah, and it's just so fucking good. Some of the best VG tracks ever made are in the Legendia OST.

Bladenic

That ending of Xillia 2.... damn.

We need another "save the princess" lighthearted, but emotional Tales story with a cliche happy ending with lots of shipping with the cast.

The last game with a truly happy ending was Vesperia. Maybe Hearts too.

Yea, Velvet is by Inomata. Eleanor is Fujishima's. Okumura designed Rokurou and Magilou. The rest are Iwamoto's.

I wonder if there's any reason that they haven't one designer per game in a long while. Okumura and Iwamoto have been doing more work recently than Fujishima and Inomata.

Giolon

The outfit is shit and no amount of storytelling can justify it. At least a few funny skits came out of it.

Velvet's design is nonsensical but looks great (it's dynamic and visually interesting with lots of cool little elements, though definitely edgy to the max), and she's going to look amazing as a figure!

I've already got her on order. <3 Now, can we get a Magilou and an Eizen?

Rpgmonkey

Do we know who designed what character? Velvet looks Inomata, who's a pretty crap character designer usually.

Velvet and Laphicet - Inomata
Laphicet (Number 2), Eizen - Iwamoto
Eleanor and Artorious - Fujishima
Rokurou and Magilou - Okumura

I think the rest are Okumura, Iwamoto, and one or two other internal artists, in the latter case I can't remember their name(s).

Pejo

Man the PC version AI bug is really killing my interest in playing this game right now. It's just making everything unnecessarily harder and take longer. Anyone here using that Vjoy method?

Celcius

°Temp. member
That ending of Xillia 2.... damn.

We need another "save the princess" lighthearted, but emotional Tales story with a cliche happy ending with lots of shipping with the cast.

Agreed lol, before this game the last Tales game I played was Xillia 2. They're great games but I'm kinda starting to miss the more light-hearted nature of older Tales games instead of dark / noire / edgy. Can't complain though because this one's really good.

Aeana

I like the cast, and the story is refreshing for the Tales series. Combat is at least better than the last couple of games.

But man, I am so tired of getting the same items with slightly minor stat differences. I just do not care for the equipment/skill system in this game. It doesn't make me angry like Zestiria's did, but it does nothing for me, either. Also not a fan of the way cooking is implemented in this one.

I continue holding out for my dream "total package" Tales game where we get interesting systems and a cast/story that isn't dreadful. But I also am holding out for a new Tales game that manages to have such perfect synergy with all of its gameplay systems as Graces had.

Man the PC version AI bug is really killing my interest in playing this game right now. It's just making everything unnecessarily harder and take longer. Anyone here using that Vjoy method?

Yes, it works perfectly.

Zafir

Yeah I went to the trouble of setting it up. The AI is actually pretty good when it isn't bugged to shit.

Sadly, vjoy was a nightmare to set up for me.

If you want to try it, some tips to avoid headaches -

1. Remove any normal controllers plugged in before trying to install vjoy. I left mine in and it caused the installation to freeze up. Which in turn meant I had to go through a lot of effort to get rid of residue vjoy stuff(driver store, registry, etc) so I could install it properly.
2. Turn off xbox or x-input game controller support inside Steam Big-Picture if you have it enabled. If it's enabled, none of the vjoy controllers show up.

Yeah, it works and pretty easy to setup, like 5 minutes.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hopefully they put out a patch for the minor stutter every few seconds relatively soon. I think it's a memory leak, as it doesn't seem to happen at first but then it slowly starts after about an hour or two.

I like the cast, and the story is refreshing for the Tales series. Combat is at least better than the last couple of games.

But man, I am so tired of getting the same items with slightly minor stat differences. I just do not care for the equipment/skill system in this game. It doesn't make me angry like Zestiria's did, but it does nothing for me, either. Also not a fan of the way cooking is implemented in this one.

I continue holding out for my dream "total package" Tales game where we get interesting systems and a cast/story that isn't dreadful. But I also am holding out for a new Tales game that manages to have such perfect synergy with all of its gameplay systems as Graces had.

Yes, it works perfectly.

Yeah, I don't get why enemies don't just drop materials instead of you having to sift through dozens of duplicate weapons.

Wagram

What party of four do you guys like the best? I usually like Velvet, Laphicet, Eizen, and Magilou. Though I switch in Rokurou or Eleanor for Eizen occasionally.

Velvet, Eizen, Magilou, and Eleanor. I swap in Rokurou for fun sometimes, but I haven't used Laphicet at all.

aravuus

The beetle skit: dudes in a nutshell.

Loved that skit. I love how many skits there are of different party members getting all riled up and excited over the most mundane shit. e: or just things they're interested in, like art for Eizen like Dandy mentions below.

Overall the skits have been very good in this one, and I really enjoy the new presentation.

I may hate this equipment system even more than Zestiria's.

It is close for me too, unfortunately. Combat itself, while the spammiest Tales has ever been and very unbalanced, is a lot of fun most of the time, but I think this one's another miss for me when it comes to character progression, particularly in the gear department. Equipment is all samey shit with the most boring skills imaginable.

I liked the spider web thing in Xillia, but every Tales since has had an awful skill system imho.

e: well okay, it's better than Zesteria for the fact that you can at least learn skills permanently alone. But as it is, this and Zesteria stand as the worst Tales games for me skill/equipment wise.

Top Bottom