• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this game is edgy.

Spoilers for the first part after
escaping the prison
:

She burned a town, beat up the white knights, kicked Teresa in the face, kicked Laphicet in the face.

Best Tales cast ever.

I also like how she tells a priest what she did in one of the towns lol

Jisgsaw

Actually, I think it has to have no extra skills at all. That's what I found from a bit of googling at least.
Apparently the best way to farm them is turning down the difficulty. I don't like being punished for playing on higher difficulties. :/

Possible. I got a bunch when dismantling equipment just after the tutorial yesterday.

aravuus

I can't be the only one who thinks it's a bit ridiculous that enemies don't seemingly get stunned or "stopped" even for a second from a mystic arte? I've been stunned by an enemy who attacked immediately after the mystic arte cutscene ends a bunch of times already, like it's been so frequent that I've started noticing. It's almost like the actual enemy, the one in the battlefield, who I'm attacking with the MA gets to recover during the MA cutscene or something.

I'd accept a Symphonia remake with a new combat system that makes Sheena summoning requirements not suck, free movement and keep the dungeons as they are but more detail. Also keep the Golden Dragon bug in.
KuGsj.gif
Gold dragon bug.....wow that brings back memories, spending a good chunk of time doing that.
I prefer Symphonia's combat system to this day

Use an Arte, level it up, use the next version
I feel like that's only partially the case here.
I need a dive bomb attack, it's not a tales game until I get one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Water temple
gem puzzle
has me stuck. me dumb.

Zafir

Anyone know if there is any DualShock 4 support on the PC version?

I'm not sure it has it natively, but even if it doesn't, Steam Controller config supports PS4 controllers now. So you can just go into that before you launch the game and set all the buttons up.

I got to ask, do the Turtles in the Japanese releases still come across like my cousin Angelo from Brooklyn?

Or is that just for the American releases.

CrazyDude

Water temple
gem puzzle
has me stuck. me dumb.

The gems on the seven cups have to shine.

I got to ask, do the Turtles in the Japanese releases still come across like my cousin Angelo from Brooklyn?

I am not good with hearing Japanese accents, but my guess they have a Osakan accent. When something is dubbed from Japanese they usually give Brooklyn accents to characters that have Osakan accents.

aitakute

The gems on the seven cups have to shine.

I am not good with hearing Japanese accents, but my guess they have a Osakan accent. When something is dubbed from Japanese they usually give Brooklyn accents to characters that have Osakan accents.
Not Kansai accent. They just add su in their sentences.

Ok what's in these dlc, there is like no description.

Red Herbs of Goodness for example? Didn't see it in the OP

Also I noticed the computer is a lot better than me controlling velvet in combat.

Is there a guaranteed way of getting a soul gauge besides killing a monster or randomly hoping one of your attacks stun?

or is there a guaranteed way of stunning a monster? because i attack the monster with its weaknesses and its random.

The whole sequence heading back to titiania and inside
the earthpulse, man that moment when laphi told velvet to quit whining and punching inonminant in the face was one of my favorite moments

Is there a guaranteed way of getting a soul gauge besides killing a monster or randomly hoping one of your attacks stun?

or is there a guaranteed way of stunning a monster? because i attack the monster with its weaknesses and its random.

Charge guard break and use attacks that have the stun property.

For some reason Velvet's Water Snake arte has a pretty good chance to stun in my experience. It has almost no startup and you can intentionally drop it after the first hit and just do it again to fish for a stun.

You can also Switch Blast or use a Mystic Arte.

How the f** do I activate Annihilating Crash??

You have to do a combo involving 8 artes then hold L2. You can use Break Soul to reset your actions and get more artes in.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

American only. I'm playing with Japanese voices and they sound more child-like, but the subs still use the Brooklyn accent, so it's very jarring. They've become a recent Tales staple ala Moogles, appearing regularly in the last few games, but I'm not a fan of them personally.

Ydelnae

I'm 5 hours in and when
Velvet set an entire town on fire, punched Teresa in the face and kicked a child away
in less than one mintue this is the only thing I got in my mind.

fVjImBc.png

Seronei

This games difficulty is so frustrating, it's basically no damage > to instantly dead constantly. Even worse is that the AI gets caught in the instant death traps constantly, so even if you do fine you still have to keep spamming Life bottles on AI companions.

There's basically no middle ground, either you die or you take no damage, there's no getting overwhelmed by the boss and not being able to keep up with a slow build up of damage. It's just bam you're dead.

Ugh I keep making the mistake of of switching out a character during battle, sticking with them for too long and not being able to switch back to velvet no matter how much I push up on the D pad

Guess I have to find another character to become good with.
Who would be the next easiest to use?

American only. I'm playing with Japanese voices and they sound more child-like, but the subs still use the Brooklyn accent, so it's very jarring. They've become a recent Tales staple ala Moogles, appearing regularly in the last few games, but I'm not a fan of them personally.
Oh I like them for sure, being from a very Italian part of Brooklyn I love whenever it's used (I don't get offended by Italian stereotypes ) I was just curious if they gave them that accent because in the original release those characters have an accent different from say the other characters.

I mean I'm not well traveled, everyone outside of NY sounds funny to me, but apparently it's the other way around.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm 5 hours in and when
Velvet set an entire town on fire, punched Teresa in the face and kicked a child away
in less than one mintue this is the only thing I got in my mind.

fVjImBc.png
Hahahahaha

It's true

ryushe

I'm about 7 hours into this game and I'm kind of lost when it comes to the combat.

While I'm not necessarily having a hard time, I also don't fully understand it either. Like, is there another way to get souls from enemies other than dodging their attacks? Is there a way to see what elemental effect/debuff a particular arte has other than remembering what each one does or pulling up the artes menu? Why are certain artes in the combo menu text font yellow and others white?

I'm trying to find a good explanation video out there, but I guess the game is too new.

benzopil

I wish I tried this series earlier. 10 hours in and can't stop playing. I listen to every optional conversation, explore everything, really like the story. Maybe fans see some flaws or bad things but I don't. It's really great, I think I'll start recommending this to my friends (especially since this game is localized for our country).

Zedark

I'm about 7 hours into this game and I'm kind of lost when it comes to the combat.

While I'm not necessarily having a hard time, I also don't fully understand it either. Like, is there another way to get souls from enemies other than dodging their attacks? Is there a way to see what elemental effect/debuff a particular arte has other than remembering what each one does or pulling up the artes menu? Why are certain artes in the combo menu text font yellow and others white?

I'm trying to find a good explanation video out there, but I guess the game is too new.

You can get extra souls by successfully dodging (as you mention), by knocking an enemy into a faint state (that they can't and have the yellow swirls over their head), and by killing enemies. I don't think there is a way to determine an attack's elemental effect other than going to the artes category and taking a look there or by remembering them.
I wish I tried this series earlier. 10 hours in and can't stop playing. I listen to every optional conversation, explore everything, really like the story. Maybe fans see some flaws or bad things but I don't. It's really great, I think I'll start recommending this to my friends (especially since this game is localized for our country).
The first 10-11 hours of this game have produced more character building than the whole of the previous entry (Zestiria). It really is one of the best entries in the series in my opinion, at least second best atm, for as far as I can judge from what I hve played (am only 12 hours in right now).

kewlmyc

As much as I love this game, I much prefer playing as straight up good guys than pseudo-villains like Velvet. I guess it is a nice change of pace, though.

I love the rest of the cast outside of Velvet and Magilou, but those two are like Batman villain material.

After playing Tales game upon Tales game of main character who does absolutely not wrong, Velvet is a godsend. Yeah she can be boring at times and is constantly edgy, but it's makes her more interesting that "country/little town boy who is seeing the world for the first time" that the series loves to throw at us constantly.

PaulSane

Is there a reason to play on higher difficulties like Intense besides added challenge? I think i'm still going to stick with it, since i found Hard difficulty pretty easy, but i actually like when increase in difficulty is incetivised by some kind of bonus, however minor it could be. After trying Intense for a bit, it looks like all it does for me is making fights last longer - i'm still not even coming close to dying to anything besides those rare dire foes.
On a side note,
i'm getting tired of still not having Magilou in my party despite her being the first party member to be introduced :p I liked playing as her the most when i played the demo. I feel like she'll join soon, but this is not the first time i feel that way over the course of the story so far :)

I keep getting a strong desire to pick this up. The last Tales I played was Xillia and didn't get through it, got maybe 10 hours in since I just found the story and characters to be fairly unengaging and the doll thing was obnoxious to me. Hearing that the characters in this are better is super appealing to me. There's so much stuff coming out soon though, are there any good sales on this?

Is there a reason to play on higher difficulties like Intense besides added challenge? I think i'm still going to stick with it, since i found Hard difficulty pretty easy, but i actually like when increase in difficulty is incetivised by some kind of bonus, however minor it could be. After trying Intense for a bit, it looks like all it does for me is making fights last longer - i'm still not even coming close to dying to anything besides those rare dire foes.
On a side note,
i'm getting tired of still not having Magilou in my party despite her being the first party member to be introduced :p I liked playing as her the most when i played the demo. I feel like she'll join soon, but this is not the first time i feel that way over the course of the story so far :)
There is a good reason Magilou doesn't join until a certain point

Velvet totally just lied for edge
~16 hours in, spoiling an event in the first 3hours
She said she killed Seres but Seres just died saving Velvet.
So extra. I love it.

Hubb

So is that pirate DLC actually purchasable now? All I see is a bundle and I don't think that contains the pirate DLC.

I keep getting a strong desire to pick this up. The last Tales I played was Xillia and didn't get through it, got maybe 10 hours in since I just found the story and characters to be fairly unengaging and the doll thing was obnoxious to me. Hearing that the characters in this are better is super appealing to me. There's so much stuff coming out soon though, are there any good sales on this?

Best buy is doing a buy 1 Namco anime game and get the second one 50% off. Not bad if you are picking up two of their games.

jrush64

Banned
Can someone explain to me how stun and combos work. When I try to chain combos, sometimes I only get to the third arte and can't use the last one. I dont get it.

Can someone explain to me how stun and combos work. When I try to chain combos, sometimes I only get to the third arte and can't use the last one. I dont get it.
You can only do a combo as long as the numbers or souls in your soul gauge (souls are the blue/red orbs in the gauge) you can extend the combo by doing a break soul, but this also reduces soul count by one (souls can be regained via a number of methods, such as killing an enemy, stunning an enemy, collecting blue cubes on the battlefield against bosses, dodging, etc,)

Giolon

The maximum number of artes you can do in a combo is determined by the number of Souls in your Soul Gauge (filled diamonds), e.g. if you have 2, you can only do 2 artes. Performing a Break Soul (R2) will consume 1 soul. You can also lose souls by being stunned or hit by certain status ailments.

You can earn Souls in a variety of ways: killing enemies, stunning enemies, perfect dodging (periodically), and some food effects.

Look at your artes for moves with the Stun property on them. For Velvet, that's most of them. Chance to stun goes up the more souls the defending target has, and the fewer attacker has.

is there any way to save more than 4 arte set ups? getting tired of having to constantly change it

I've read that once you get a potentite from an arena or something, you get the ability to hold a shoulder button down for access to more artes, but I'm 20 hours in and haven't found that yet. But, welcome to Taels games! In Vesperia I think you could have access to 8 artes at once. Now you technically have access to 16 from the start.

Alucrid

Banned
The maximum number of artes you can do in a combo is determined by the number of Souls in your Soul Gauge (filled diamonds), e.g. if you have 2, you can only do 2 artes. Performing a Break Soul (R2) will consume 1 soul. You can also lose souls by being stunned or hit by certain status ailments.

You can earn Souls in a variety of ways: killing enemies, stunning enemies, perfect dodging (periodically), and some food effects.

Look at your artes for moves with the Stun property on them. For Velvet, that's most of them. Chance to stun goes up the more souls the defending target has, and the fewer attacker has.

I've read that once you get a potentite from an arena or something, you get the ability to hold a shoulder button down for access to more artes, but I'm 20 hours in and haven't found that yet. But, welcome to Taels games! In Vesperia I think you could have access to 8 artes at once. Now you technically have access to 16 from the start.
ah okay, thanks. i'm like 35 hours and no signs of that yet. i don't remember vesperia being as reliant on weaknesses and types though. especially when you're trying to get five of them in one combo

jrush64

Banned

You can only do a combo as long as the numbers or souls in your soul gauge (souls are the blue/red orbs in the gauge) you can extend the combo by doing a break soul, but this also reduces soul count by one (souls can be regained via a number of methods, such as killing an enemy, stunning an enemy, collecting blue cubes on the battlefield against bosses, dodging, etc,)

Ok.... I think I get it a little bit. I thought there was like a combination of artes with stats that I had to do to stun an enemy.

If I have 3 soul gages, i can increase it by using an arte that can stun on the third hit?

Alucrid

Banned
Ok.... I think I get it a little bit. I thought there was like a combination of artes with stats that I had to do to stun an enemy.

If I have 3 soul gages, i can increase it by using an arte that can stun on the third hit?

there's a combination of artes' properties that you need to use to get critical damage, but stun is just a chance as long as stun is a property of the arte

Giolon

Every hit with an arte that has stun property is a chance to stun. Use them as often and as much as you can in your combos!

Bladenic

Wait a second, is this a another mistake? Got a glacite or whatever the hell they're called that says "on evil mode or higher." Is Evil something I haven't unlocked or is that Intense (but they forgot to change it everywhere)?

Wait a second, is this a another mistake? Got a glacite or whatever the hell they're called that says "on evil mode or higher." Is Evil something I haven't unlocked or is that Intense (but they forgot to change it everywhere)?

I mean, I unlocked a "chaos mode" at some point, so there might be even more

Rpgmonkey

Japanese version is Simple -> Normal -> Second -> Hard -> Evil -> Chaos.

I guess they renamed it so that should be Intense mode?

Bladenic

What I mean is that they changed the difficulty to being called Intense on the options menu but the Glacites still say Evil. So it's a mistake since they didn't change it all over. The game does have a few errors, like subtitles not matching what is said that I've noticed, which is a shame.

DMiz

So does the combat system ever demand that I need to be allocating 16 different rates to the 16 possible different button presses?

For the time being, playing on Hard and basically usually setting up each of my buttons to have a four button press combo that will target a specific weakness/set of weaknesses to take advantage of chain.

Not sure if I'm ready to commit the time it takes to memorize a flowchart of 16 possible rates, ha ha.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So does the combat system ever demand that I need to be allocating 16 different rates to the 16 possible different button presses?

For the time being, playing on Hard and basically usually setting up each of my buttons to have a four button press combo that will target a specific weakness/set of weaknesses to take advantage of chain.

Not sure if I'm ready to commit the time it takes to memorize a flowchart of 16 possible rates, ha ha.

I kinda set my combos by elements basically. Sometimes I switch stuff up but that works and you know what you are doing easily.

If playing on normal just keep 1 button set to "you decide" spam that + r2 and L2 and you'll never die.

Momentary

Banned
I feel like my party members don't do what I tell them to do in battle. They just run around hitting things one time and not comboing. I'm playing this game on the hardest difficulty and it's starting to get frustrating. Is there some kind of glitch or something that I don't know about? This is on PC by the way.

Jiraiza

Wait until you're able to turn each of those artes into a different arte by holding on to them.

Top Bottom