• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Zafir

Having played mostly US released Tales games, I have gotten quite used to playing Tales games with English voice acting, but after playing Berseria with Japanese voices I think I could get used to playing with Japanese voices more often, only down side is I cannot multi-task and look down while the skits are going on.
That's basically why I still play with dubs most of the time. I hate not being able to look away from the screen for a second without missing entire sentences.

That's not to say I avoid playing subbed games, I still love the Yakuza games for example.

Shouta

Her Japanese voice is too.

I wonder why this game and Zestiria arbitrarily change so many names. "Malak" and "Malakhim" are "Seirei" in Japanese, which as far as I know just means spirit (unsure if some kanji nonsense alters the meaning or not). Innominat is Kanomushi. Kamoana is Moana. Armatus is Kamui, which is something along the lines of Divinity, but certainly nothing along the lines of Armatization. I don't want literal translations (calling Armatization Divine Reliance Transformation would be bad) but making up their own names and making sometimes pointless changes is just as bad, IMO.

Malak was used in Japanese as well. It was just written with the kanji for Spirit. Kamui is just the pronunciation of the kanji they used to describe what the action was which is why they changed it. The same reason applies to Kanonushi and why it's changed for the US release. His US name is probably a play on his other title in JP,
"The Lord whose name shall not be spoken"
. That title carries a different meaning in JP I think and as such they called him Kanonushi which probably is the pronunciation of the kanji "His/Their Lord" Innominat is literally the spoiler in JP but adjusted a bit.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So should I start this game this weekend or wait for the AI patch? Saw people on steam complaining that the patch the other day rendered their game unusable or something?

Anyone have a detailed list of what comes with the attachment dlc?

So should I start this game this weekend or wait for the AI patch? Saw people on steam complaining that the patch the other day rendered their game unusable or something?

The AI works fine if you use vjoy. It's an inconvenience, but who knows when that AI patch will come out. Just make sure you launch the game before you enable vjoy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Malak was used in Japanese as well. It was just written with the kanji for Spirit. Kamui is just the pronunciation of the kanji they used to describe what the action was which is why they changed it. The same reason applies to Kanonushi and why it's changed for the US release. His US name is probably a play on his other title in JP,
. That title carries a different meaning in JP I think and as such they called him Kanonushi which probably is the pronunciation of the kanji "His/Their Lord" Innominat is literally the spoiler in JP but adjusted a bit.
Ah, I see. That makes sense then.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Without going into spoiler territory and being as vague as possible... (spoilered just in case, no story info though, just a comment on Velvet's personality)

I'm closing in on the end now, and I take back everything I said about Velvet. Her character progresses really well without doing a total 180 like
Luke
did in Tales of the Abyss.

Anyone who had the same complaints I did about her edginess can rest assured that it (IMO, at least) pays off later.

So what's the best deal for the PC version of this game... I see it's on steam for $50, which I am guessing is the retail, but is there a better deal going on anywhere else?

I am tempted... also how does this perform on PC? I couldn't get the demo to run at anything over 720p, but they just patched it so maybe it's fixed. I have a 980ti and would be running it in 4k.

I put the waiter uniform and the swordman eyepatch on Laphi. Now the kid looks like a bit of a badass.

This is the greatest decision I have made in this game since I HATE his default clothes.

I put the waiter uniform and the swordman eyepatch on Laphi. Now the kid looks like a bit of a badass.

This is the greatest decision I have made in this game since I HATE his default clothes.

I'm using the waiter outfit as his outfit now too! Not a huge fan of his original clothes. Gave him the outfit, a rose on it, and the rosy cheeks.

MegaPanda

The AI bug really does suck. Played for around 20 hours on hard without noticing it, but once I set up vjoy last night the game has been a piece of cake. Might just switch over to other games for a few days while waiting for Bamco's fix.

Anoxida

I just saw a scene that pinpoints why I don't mind Velvet and like her as well as the other characters.

MID-GAME SPOILERS

I got to the scene where Rokurou encounters
Shigure and gets beat, then goes off to forge a sword with Kurogane and now we're waiting for him
. Velvet speakes to Eizan while they wait and Eizan says
Rokurou can't beat Shigure by himself, so when he creates an opening everyone should attack so that they can kill Shigure since they'll just have to deal with him later. Velvet questions him about intruding on a personal vendetta and Eizan basically says he doesn't care and getting rid of Shigure now is more important, to which Velvet agrees. She also states that she feels Rokurou dying pointlessly is a waste and will make it harder to accomplish their goals and Eizan agrees, saying that he's not a big picture guy so Rokurou may try to chop her arms off for a little but will eventually give up

Like, that's why Velvet doesn't bother me. She's not mindless edge and angst, she often walks through her reasoning and decisions and is consistent in her portrayal. If she's Edgy then so is Eizan.

If thats mid game then I guess I'll finish the game under 35 hours.

Giolon

Alright, Act 2 finally picked up after something like 8-10 hours of play. That journey from
Mines -> Ravine -> Tunnel -> Port Cadnix, followed by Reneed - > Bog -> Forest -> Lothringen, and then the particularly interminable Yseult -> beach -> Haria -> reef -> Palamedes Temple
really broke my spirit. Just nothing happens for fucking ever after the bug in the forest, and the length and number of dungeons and travel areas between significant plot points keeps increasing.

Now that I've passed that part, it seems like there are at least some interesting threads progressing again.

I thought the game was dark already, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
Kamoana
's situation broke my heart.

Alright, Act 2 finally picked up after something like 8-10 hours of play. That journey from
Mines -> Ravine -> Tunnel -> Port Cadnix, followed by Reneed - > Bog -> Forest -> Lothringen, and then the particularly interminable Yseult -> beach -> Haria -> reef -> Palamedes Temple
really broke my spirit. Just nothing happens for fucking ever after the bug in the forest, and the length and number of dungeons and travel areas between significant plot points keeps increasing.

Now that I've passed that part, it seems like there are at least some interesting threads progressing again.
Ugh great, I'm here right now. Just beat the bug.

aravuus

Yeah, the beach part is just awful.

Anyway,
returning to Aball
was awesome. Spooky stuff. I really like the piano song that plays
after the dream/illusion is dispelled
, so that's three songs in the game so far I like... Or remember at all lol. Anyone know the name of the song?

Bladenic

The first third mystic arte I unlocked and used was freaking
Laphicet blowing a dragon to kingdom come with Indignation.

SolVanderlyn

Avoid all Zestiria wiki articles until you beat this game

I just spoiled probably the biggest twist of the game by clicking on a seemingly innocuous article that redirected to giant Berseria spoilers.

I just spoiled probably the biggest twist of the game by clicking on a seemingly innocuous article that redirected to giant Berseria spoilers.

Yeah, wiki articles do not give a shit about spoilers (not that they should or anything). Always stay away. For anything remotely related.

Zafir

Quite late game spoilers
I just "killed" the Teresa and Oscar and need to go back to the prison.
. I noticed my side quests are now gone from my map. Am I fucked? I swear I couldn't even access them. There was an avalanche blocking what I thought was one!

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
She is adorable, but her English VA is a low point for the dub.

Her crying wasn't believable at all, but outside of that, one of the best voices in the game, for various reasons. 1, it stands out as an individual instead of sounding samey like all the other voices that you've heard in many games before. 2. She actually sounds like a child, unlike Laphicet who sounds like a woman trying to sound like a child, but is fooling no one. 3. She has these cute cracks in her voice that adds personality. 4. She doesn't have that annoying breathing at the end of every sentence that so many actors do.

So yeah, one of the best. I was also pretty impressed by Teresa's actress. She did a fine job.

Bladenic

The voices during mystic artes are so low but it sounds like they're even lower during the third ones. Turn that shit up Namco USA (they don't sound nearly as low in the JP version).

Just have two more optional bosses to fight in the final dungeon and then I can beat the game, whew.

Just got my final team member -spoiler in case ppl don't like knowing who joins last
Eleanor
wondering how far into the game I am. Really loving it and want to pace myself, so don't want to finish too quickly, I think I am about a third, whats the average playtime for the game?

SolVanderlyn

Just got my final team member -spoiler in case ppl don't like knowing who joins last
Eleanor
wondering how far into the game I am. Really loving it and want to pace myself, so don't want to finish too quickly, I think I am about a third, whats the average playtime for the game?
You're about 1/6th of the way through the game, I'd say. I'm 40 hours in, done zero sidequests and about to reach the final stretch.

R0ckman

Malak as in the hebrew malak? They used that in the Japanese? Or they used an attempt at an equivalent in their native language? In hebrew (which is where I'm assuming the english localization got the reference) malak does not 100% represent something that is a spiritual being, its used for an ambassador or representative. You'd need context to determine anything else.

Take solace in knowing you got spoiled by accident at least. I was dumb enough to click on a post that straight up said MAJOR SPOILERS despite being only a third or so of the way through the game lol.

3Kaze

Malak as in the hebrew malak? They used that in the Japanese? Or they used an attempt at an equivalent in their native language? In hebrew (which is where I'm assuming the english localization got the reference) malak does not 100% represent something that is a spiritual being, its used for an ambassador or representative. You'd need context to determine anything else.

No, they did not. They used seirei 聖隷 (something like "sacred slave") which has nothing to do with seirei 精霊 (spirit).

Shouta

No, they did not. They used seirei 聖隷 (something like "sacred slave") which has nothing to do with seirei 精霊 (spirit).

Oh right, it was that kanji. It's a slight play on spirit because of the pronunciation though.

Xevren

Quite late game spoilers
I just "killed" the Teresa and Oscar and need to go back to the prison.
. I noticed my side quests are now gone from my map. Am I fucked? I swear I couldn't even access them. There was an avalanche blocking what I thought was one!

You'll get access to them again.

Anyone buy any of the costume DLC? :eek:
I bought the first pack but 11.99 for the 2nd pack with beach costumes that don't even look as good as anything from the first pack (and one being a rip off from xillia 2 beach costumes) is a no for me. I think I may get the cameo costumes though.

kewlmyc

Anyone buy any of the costume DLC? :eek:
I have everything released so far. It's fun mixing and matching stuff.

Anyone know if we're getting the rest of the DLC costumes?
I don't see why we wouldn't since there's no anime based costumes this time around. The costumes that have yet to release are the idolmaster, pirate, school, and Tales cameo costumes, and idolmaster costumes are no longer an issue as of Tales of Xillia 1.

Top Bottom