• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

straylize

Alright I gotta talk about some shit about the localization job. I've been doing sidequests before the final dungeon and have noticed more and more mistakes in the writing not matching what's being sad. I'm doing Eleanor's sidequest and during a skit I just saw, literally every line was botched beyond belief and completely wrong from what the characters were actually saying. This is the worst I've seen but it's not an isolated incident. That combined with some inconsistencies like Magilou having a weapon named Lulu Doll that looks like Rollo. Lulu is his JP name, but in another shoutout they actually called him Rollo.

It's sad that this seems to be the worst translation/localization/whatever in forever when it's the strongest title in a while. Don't know if they ran out of time or stopped giving a fuck, but it's sad to see.

On a positive note, I got Magilou's recolor and it's amazing because it makes her look like Harley Quinn.

I haven't gotten to these myself, but other people I know mentioned them. There was also an NPC that botched another Xillia reference, calling a drink "Perune" when it should have been "Pelune." It's a little strange that they didn't keep the stuff on hand rto ensure the references wouldn't get messed up...

And you know, that the text itself would read properly, but I doubt even bringing this up to Bamco, they'd actually patch it like they should. I'm waiting until I get an egregious one in my own playthrough to document and bring it to them directly... even if I doubt it'll do much.

DKL

Regarding the battle system, I got to a point where either I am overrun with enemies or I abuse Velvet R2 to create infinite combos. It's somewhat fun in the sense that the battle system feels open, but this strategy also gets too efficient and repetitive.

I haven't played or abused that much with the other characters.

It's actually hard to abuse this with other characters because Velvet can actively engage R2 and then build more diamonds while in R2 mode.

(it's like those dumb characters in a fighting game where you still build meter even when you're in an install super)

This is on top of the fact that she has armor that allows you to power through enemy hits (though you still take damage and will have to end the combo prematurely if your health is pushed to 1 HP.. the point of which you simply hit them with R2 again and hope they don't clip you during that couple of frames where you can take damage).

For example, when you use Eizen, you can only R2 when an enemy gets downed or dizzy. So if you're playing as him, you're sat there blocking until you can confirm a dizzy on screen. It's kinda fun, but not as fun as walking up to someone as Velvet and then bitch slapping them with R2.

Eleanor can actively use her R2 to engage, but the problem is that it's nowhere near as good as Velvet's and the most you seem to get is invincibility frames on startup.

That said, the other characters are indeed fun to play as (I actually know how to use everyone, strangely enough)... they're just not as fun as Velvet lol

This is why the insta-character switch is great: you can still experience having used other characters in a practical manner, but can continue to be a scumbag with Velvet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes or no, do they ever explain

Zestiria spoilers also
The wyvern that Zaveid knew from a journey with "previous friends?"

Rainy

Banned
Just got to Yseult

Man I think I like all the characters except Eleanor. I still find her a bit annoying.

Strings

She made a comment in one of the scenes about how she got a lot of information from the demons they threw down into her pit for her to feed on.

Yeah, doesn't she absorb the memories of demons she devours? At least that's what I assumed when she ate the Malak in the prison at the start.

I haven't gotten to these myself, but other people I know mentioned them. There was also an NPC that botched another Xillia reference, calling a drink "Perune" when it should have been "Pelune." It's a little strange that they didn't keep the stuff on hand rto ensure the references wouldn't get messed up...

Xillia was a different localisation studio, no? 8-4 did that, Graces, Vesperia and Abyss.

Lol, I just saw the anime scene at Loegres with Artorious, and at the end I heard that the crowd's shouts was still the Japanese audio.

kewlmyc

Oscar and Teresa remind me of Cless and Mint. I wonder if that's intentional.

Oscar definitely has the stereotypical Tales hero thing going on, right down to his moveset.

That's because he has Sorey's moveset. No seriously, all the animations and most of the moves are ripped straight from Sorey. Same with Seres moveset just being Lailah's moveset and animations.

straylize

Xillia was a different localisation studio, no? 8-4 did that, Graces, Vesperia and Abyss.

Interestingly enough, they only list Xillia and not Xillia 2, and the Pelune reference would specifically be an Xillia 2 one. Either way, who localizes it shouldn't matter, for brand consistency and continuity, they should generally try to keep that stuff accurate anyway, Xillia 2 was only released here a couple of years ago.

TheFatMan

Does having one of the characters in a summer vacation suit change the battle music every time, or only if it is the character you are playing as?

I just saw a scene that pinpoints why I don't mind Velvet and like her as well as the other characters.

MID-GAME SPOILERS

I got to the scene where Rokurou encounters
Shigure and gets beat, then goes off to forge a sword with Kurogane and now we're waiting for him
. Velvet speakes to Eizan while they wait and Eizan says
Rokurou can't beat Shigure by himself, so when he creates an opening everyone should attack so that they can kill Shigure since they'll just have to deal with him later. Velvet questions him about intruding on a personal vendetta and Eizan basically says he doesn't care and getting rid of Shigure now is more important, to which Velvet agrees. She also states that she feels Rokurou dying pointlessly is a waste and will make it harder to accomplish their goals and Eizan agrees, saying that he's not a big picture guy so Rokurou may try to chop her arms off for a little but will eventually give up

Like, that's why Velvet doesn't bother me. She's not mindless edge and angst, she often walks through her reasoning and decisions and is consistent in her portrayal. If she's Edgy then so is Eizan.

Velvet and all the cast in this game is really amazing, I'm at final boss and I haven't liked a jrpg's cast/plot as I'm doing now for a long time.
I didn't like zestiria at all and now thinking about Sorey almost makes me puke. So glad that I
killed his basically clone with blond hair in Oscar, seriously he had the exact same moveset.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just saw a scene that pinpoints why I don't mind Velvet and like her as well as the other characters.

MID-GAME SPOILERS

I got to the scene where Rokurou encounters
Shigure and gets beat, then goes off to forge a sword with Kurogane and now we're waiting for him
. Velvet speakes to Eizan while they wait and Eizan says
Rokurou can't beat Shigure by himself, so when he creates an opening everyone should attack so that they can kill Shigure since they'll just have to deal with him later. Velvet questions him about intruding on a personal vendetta and Eizan basically says he doesn't care and getting rid of Shigure now is more important, to which Velvet agrees. She also states that she feels Rokurou dying pointlessly is a waste and will make it harder to accomplish their goals and Eizan agrees, saying that he's not a big picture guy so Rokurou may try to chop her arms off for a little but will eventually give up

Like, that's why Velvet doesn't bother me. She's not mindless edge and angst, she often walks through her reasoning and decisions and is consistent in her portrayal. If she's Edgy then so is Eizan.
I think the edgy stuff comes mostly cause she is serious and focused on her revenge plus her outfit but overall she shows she is not mindless and capable to staying in control and respect some things of her team despite saying she doesn't care. Also as the game progresses she shows more sides of her.

SephLuis

Alright I gotta talk about some shit about the localization job. I've been doing sidequests before the final dungeon and have noticed more and more mistakes in the writing not matching what's being sad. I'm doing Eleanor's sidequest and during a skit I just saw, literally every line was botched beyond belief and completely wrong from what the characters were actually saying. This is the worst I've seen but it's not an isolated incident. That combined with some inconsistencies like Magilou having a weapon named Lulu Doll that looks like Rollo. Lulu is his JP name, but in another shoutout they actually called him Rollo.

It's sad that this seems to be the worst translation/localization/whatever in forever when it's the strongest title in a while. Don't know if they ran out of time or stopped giving a fuck, but it's sad to see.

On a positive note, I got Magilou's recolor and it's amazing because it makes her look like Harley Quinn.

I have been playing with english audio, so I haven't been able to point any inconsistencies with the localization, but do they affect a lot of the story ?

It's actually hard to abuse this with other characters because Velvet can actively engage R2 and then build more diamonds while in R2 mode.

(it's like those dumb characters in a fighting game where you still build meter even when you're in an install super)

This is on top of the fact that she has armor that allows you to power through enemy hits (though you still take damage and will have to end the combo prematurely if your health is pushed to 1 HP.. the point of which you simply hit them with R2 again and hope they don't clip you during that couple of frames where you can take damage).

For example, when you use Eizen, you can only R2 when an enemy gets downed or dizzy. So if you're playing as him, you're sat there blocking until you can confirm a dizzy on screen. It's kinda fun, but not as fun as walking up to someone as Velvet and then bitch slapping them with R2.

Eleanor can actively use her R2 to engage, but the problem is that it's nowhere near as good as Velvet's and the most you seem to get is invincibility frames on startup.

That said, the other characters are indeed fun to play as (I actually know how to use everyone, strangely enough)... they're just not as fun as Velvet lol

This is why the insta-character switch is great: you can still experience having used other characters in a practical manner, but can continue to be a scumbag with Velvet.

I just got to play the other characters now that they have more artes. They are very, very fun to use, but as you said no one is as OP as Velvet.

Currently, I am treating Velvet as cheat mode in battle lol

straylize

Ah, I didn't even think of this until I acquired it in my current playthrough, but I'm really, strangely happy one of my favorite classic mystic artes got reused in this game, because it now has a localized name after... not having one for close to a decade and a half.
congrats to zeppa messhougeki for getting a new name: annihilating crash.

Which is nice even though nine times out of ten, I forget... what localized arte names are until I'm playing one of the games in English again. Whoops. At least now for people who don't know, I'll have a name that's more easily recognizable.

Vazra

I have been playing with english audio, so I haven't been able to point any inconsistencies with the localization, but do they affect a lot of the story ?

I just got to play the other characters now that they have more artes. They are very, very fun to use, but as you said no one is as OP as Velvet.

Currently, I am treating Velvet as cheat mode in battle lol
The main story doesnt get affected much but the references to other games and the subtitles sometimes not being exactly the same thing that comes out of the characters can be jarring at times since sometimes they miss the mark pretty badly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I spoke too soon, the new patch did not resolve the fps stuttering that starts happening after an hour or two. Still hoping...

Bladenic

More weird errors:

1. NPC duo of male and female had the male's lines completely devoid of voice acting while female had voice.

2. Instances where the voice acting didn't actually finish their lines. Like they would have two words left but it would cut to the next person talking before those words were uttered.

While there were a few random errors throughout the main game, almost all the most egregious things are focused during the endgame sidequests which makes me think they rushed it.

Also "goose" for gruesome lmao

vkrili

However, if edginess is something that bothers you, hooooooooo boy you're in for a ride with Velvet.

Personally, I think she's pretty awesome.
The truth is that Zestiria is a lot "edgier" than Berseria. It is far more cynical, there's a lot less warmth between the characters, and its morals are all wack. Berseria acknowledges and makes fun of the characters' edginess, but never belittles them for it.

I'd kill for a game where its Velvet and crew VS Sorey and his group....some how make the time travel possible for it lol. Anything to see Sorey get eaten.

kaiiri

So... how do you jump over the gaps? I already have the
geoboard.. and whenever I see the power spots I get them, but I don't see them all dungeons (like Davahl Forest).. yet I can't go foward on these side quests.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the Sanctuary in Loegres supposed to be
the same one as in Pendrago in Zestiria? Or is it just en excuse to reuse assets since it's the same world lol? They're both capital cities, so I suppose it could be the same place, don't really remember what the world map in Zestiria looked like here.

EDIT: Well shit, I didn't expect to see the place that would become
Zestiria's final dungeon
so soon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Of course

MAJOR SPOILERS

Laiphicet is Innominat. Revenge is a dish best served cold, Velvet's breakdown was glorious to see. Serves her right.

Although now I want to stop Artorius for other reasons.

mugwhump

What's up with recipes with trigger conditions like "Do a 30-hit combo", does the food actually get cooked mid-battle?

How often do skits trigger from sleeping in inns? I've been compulsively sleeping ever since I got that first one with Rokuro in iceytown but haven't gotten another.

I'm still hoping for a music replacement mod. This would be a GOAT jrpg if the soundtrack was better.

To those who finished the game, I'm curious how close am I to finish it.

LV36/30 hours in

Just finished the snake mother arc and now heading to Taliesin/Eastgand. Two Theroins to go.

About 30 hours into Beseria and I am enjoying my time with it.

Since I am in the Tales mood now and I never played Zestiria before, I decided to pick it up for the PS4. From watching trailers of it, a lot of the UI looks like it was recycled into Berseria, and since the worlds are directly connected, I thought I should give it a try. Hopefully I like it more than I did the Xillia games.

Vazra

I'd kill for a game where its Velvet and crew VS Sorey and his group....some how make the time travel possible for it lol. Anything to see Sorey get eaten.

Lets do another fighting game and forget Tales of Vs and try something else. There is 17 main games to choose character from and if they go by 2 characters per game its 34 or 51 if they go by 3 per game.

Renmyra

How often do skits trigger from sleeping in inns? I've been compulsively sleeping ever since I got that first one with Rokuro in iceytown but haven't gotten another.

I think I've had 3 in total. Err, make that 4. There's 2 in a row at
Titania.

Can you fish in this game? I've got plenty of bait apparently...

CrazyDude

What's up with recipes with trigger conditions like "Do a 30-hit combo", does the food actually get cooked mid-battle?

I'm still hoping for a music replacement mod. This would be a GOAT jrpg if the soundtrack was better.

You can check for the green explanation marks over inns on maps. If there is no green explanation mark, no skit.

Kamoana's English voice is awful.

Having played mostly US released Tales games, I have gotten quite used to playing Tales games with English voice acting, but after playing Berseria with Japanese voices I think I could get used to playing with Japanese voices more often, only down side is I cannot multi-task and look down while the skits are going on.

SolVanderlyn

Kamoana's English voice is awful.
Her Japanese voice is too.

I wonder why this game and Zestiria arbitrarily change so many names. "Malak" and "Malakhim" are "Seirei" in Japanese, which as far as I know just means spirit (unsure if some kanji nonsense alters the meaning or not). Innominat is Kanomushi. Kamoana is Moana. Armatus is Kamui, which is something along the lines of Divinity, but certainly nothing along the lines of Armatization. I don't want literal translations (calling Armatization Divine Reliance Transformation would be bad) but making up their own names and making sometimes pointless changes is just as bad, IMO.

About 10 hours into Berseria and tbh this is the most invested in a non-FF JRPG that I've felt in a long while (i.e., I'm actually planning to finish it rather than moving on after a couple hours). As a game it's all pretty standard Tales, but having an entire party of misfits and villains really elevates the story. I like listening to these people interact and I want to know what happens to them next. It worked in Vesperia and it works here; the producers need to think about abandoning fresh-faced do-gooders and just doing this antihero thing for every Tales game from now on!

Any new estimates on completion time? Preferably from someone that doesn't do every side quest? I'm hearing numbers from 40 hours to 75. The length is probably going to determine whether I buy it so it's important!

Vazra

Any new estimates on completion time? Preferably from someone that doesn't do every side quest? I'm hearing numbers from 40 hours to 75. The length is probably going to determine whether I buy it so it's important!

Didnt focus much on sidequest and did the game on 50 hours but probably 2 or 3 of those involve the card minigame

When do side quests show up? I feel like I've yet to see anything other than the random green exclamation marks on some NPCs, but those just seem to be a random bit of dialogue.

I'm at the point just after
assaulting the temple and facing Artorius for the first time.

Vazra

When do side quests show up? I feel like I've yet to see anything other than the random green exclamation marks on some NPCs, but those just seem to be a random bit of dialogue.

I'm at the point just after
assaulting the temple and facing Artorius for the first time.

press X to check if you have any on your map. People with ! over their heads might give sidequest or info on some of the sidequests you have.

Top Bottom