• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Christ is it just me or is there a bit of a difficulty spike once you first reach
Empyreon's Throne?
Playing on hard an I've been doing just fine up to this point, now suddenly enemies are taking way longer to kill and are comboing the shit out of me a lot

Really wish there was an option in the Strategy menu to have the AI specifically target the same enemy as you.

Christ is it just me or is there a bit of a difficulty spike once you first reach
Empyreon's Throne?
Playing on hard an I've been doing just fine up to this point, now suddenly enemies are taking way longer to kill and are comboing the shit out of me a lot

Really wish there was an option in the Strategy menu to have the AI specifically target the same enemy as you.

Hmm... I've not been having this issue. Have you been avoiding regular battles prior to this point? Maybe drop down to Advanced.

Maybe try unequipping the Charismatic Biography?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I haven't played Vesperia and have only seen promo art, but all this time I never knew that Yuri was a guy

Fun fact: I thought Fon Master Ion (of Tales of the Abyss) was a girl... Until near the end of the game:

latest

Hmm... I've not been having this issue. Have you been avoiding regular battles prior to this point? Maybe drop down to Advanced.

Maybe try unequipping the Charismatic Biography?

I suddenly started doing a lot better after making that post lol, just needed to make better use of Favorable Encounters. I haven't been skipping too many battles unless I was backtracking through an area, but I did notice the enemies are at level 20-21 when my characters are all at 17.

I have no clue what the Charismatic Biography even is.

Fun fact: I thought Fon Master Ion (of Tales of the Abyss) was a girl... Until near the end of the game:

Well, I had my suspicions from the very start, but it was quite clear that Ion is a dude. Also, I think there's a skit explaining it in the middle of the game. Yuri is clearly a dude even from a glance for me.

Giolon

Are glacite effects just permanent buffs to your game, or do you have to do something to "use" them?

I got one that says "Grants a random skill that increases equipment mastery speed" but in the menu it says "equipment mastery speed +10%".

So is this always in effect now or do I somehow have to get the skill onto a weapon?

Permanent buffs as far as I can tell.

Yeah, they are buffs, the game does not explain it well. I thought they were upgrades to equipment for like 5 hours until I decided to check how they worked.

What that means is that effect can now appear as a bonus random skill on equipment.

Now with illustration of how it works:
A further note that you can also get a lucky roll and get a boosted version of any of the properties that are available to you (e.g. Attack +8 instead of Attack +5). These will yield Mellow Fluid rather than Balmy Fluid upon dismantling.

Alucrid

Banned
Empyreon's Throne?

are you still getting stuns and critical combos? didn't notice a spike in my game. could always bump the difficulty down to get more xp.

hotsoup

I suddenly started doing a lot better after making that post lol, just needed to make better use of Favorable Encounters. I haven't been skipping too many battles unless I was backtracking through an area, but I did notice the enemies are at level 20-21 when my characters are all at 17.

I have no clue what the Charismatic Biography even is.

It is a reference to Yakuza 0.

Enemies will out level you (unless you grind a lot) from Hard onwards so you are not really underlevelled.

Renmyra

Now with illustration of how it works:

A further note that you can also get a lucky roll and get a boosted version of any of the properties that are available to you (e.g. Attack +8 instead of Attack +5). These will yield Mellow Fluid rather than Balmy Fluid upon dismantling.

What's the use of those fluids btw? I've had x99 for the majority of the game.

Story
Characters
Gameplay
Music

Most Tales games you can pick two of them that will be great and the others will be subpar to passable at best.

None of the games are actively bad IMO but Berseria is the closest to a total package since Vesperia.

Well Berseria got 3 of those right imo so improvement I guess? :p

I'm interested in Vesperia (although it seems the battle system didn't age well), hope they will announce a remaster this year for the 10th anniversary.

Yes, though it depends on what you liked about the characters and story.

Vesperia's protagonist is probably the closest you've got to a Velvet. He's dark, but he's not a raging edgelord like Velvet. He's just not got time for "the system's" bullshit, especially if it means a villain is going to get away. Rita (the genius mage) is the highlight as far as entertaining characters go, followed by Raven (the shady semi-drunken badass).

Abyss has my favorite cast & story pre-Berseria (cast is rivaling so far, story isn't). Yes, Luke is a whiny bitch, but that's the point. He needs to do some growing up and the rest of the party makes sure he knows it. This game has the best recurring crew of villains for me.

Symphonia is tied for favorite story, and slightly less favored cast compared to Abyss. Lloyd is a typical enthusiastic do-gooder, and Colette is the typical "willing to sacrifice myself for the good of all" damsel, but Sheena and Genis are the entertainment value characters. I remember the twists in this game blew my mind back in the day.

Actually Velvet is my least favorite character in the party, I mean I still love here but the party is just that good :p. My problem with her is how often she comes out as childish with over-use of lines like "I'M NOT A HUMAN", and that most of the time she's not as evil or violent as she claims. It's the opposite of Magilou where she claims nothing but easily the most "evil" character in party, playing people's insecurities and use her word in the most painful way possible. :p

I think I'll be playing Abyss first then. Your description of Symphonia's cast doesn't sound appealing to me at all, especially coming out from Berseria. I don't mind a whiny protagonist though if the story acknowledges it.

I'm interested in Destiny DC with many claiming it's the best tales ever made. Shame it sounds like the fan-translation has a long, long way to go.

Do they ever say why Magilou and Rokurou were
locked up in Titania? I know towards the beginning in the Icecaps area they gave some vague ass answers. One about doing something at home and the other being betrayed.
No spoilers please. Just want to know if that answer is coming or if they don't ever say.

They did explain why Magilou was there in a random side conversation with a NPC in Midgand. It was weird.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think I'll be playing Abyss first then. Your description of Symphonia's cast doesn't sound appealing to me at all, especially coming out from Berseria. I don't mind a whiny protagonist though if the story acknowledges it.

I'm interested in Destiny DC with many claiming it's the best tales ever made. Shame it sounds like the fan-translation has a long, long way to go.
Symphonia's cast is great. It might be more typical than Berseria's group of anti-heroes, but it's a typical cast done right. The only problem is that it's a HUGE cast compared to most games, and some characters don't get much development.

Symphonia and Abyss have the best worlds and plot in the entire series, IMO.

Philippo

A couple of questions out of curiosity:
-i saw a lot of dlc costumes for the japanese version (older games costumes, pirates etc.), are those in the base western game, or still dlc?

-can you change hairstyles in alternative costumes? Or are you stuck to the designed ones? Asking because i've seen the hairstyle option in the menu

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh christ, somebody fire whoever it is that designed Baird Marsh
Me playing through Baird Marsh

"I love marsh areas. This place is pretty cool."

"I like the ruins too. Nice touch."

"Oh, an elemental switch. I don't see any walls though..."

A screen and a half later

"Oh. There it is. Guess I gotta go back."

Go all the way back to switch

Run into different wall nearly two screens later

"Dammit!"

Go all the way back and hit different switch

Meet similar backtracking issues for about an hour because this place is fucking huge like everywhere else in the game

"I hate this place."

Realize I just solved the most annoying puzzle yet just to go in a giant circle

"AHHHHHHH!"

Zafir

The Marsh is awful. I didn't have to backtrack since I used the same logic as I used to solve practically every so called "puzzle" so far in Berseria. Press every switch as you see it. It just drags on for so fucking long. Even worse, you have to ride yourself through it again, not that long after. The switches are gone at that point, mind you.

It's the same issue with quite a few dungeons in the game though, they last forever and the puzzles are bereft of any challenge at all.

It's a real shame since everything else (well besides the music) is great.

Zafir

What's so bad about the music? Zestiria had some really good tunes, especially the element trial temple things

Just typical Sakuraba Tales of woes. Most of the tracks are pretty bland and unmemorable. Not to mention they're rather over used too. Most of the fields have the same track, the caves have the same track, the ruins each have the same track. It gets immensely tiring when the tracks themselves weren't that good in the first place.

SolVanderlyn

I have encountered some tracks I like, mostly related to the Abbey. Oscar's theme, Shigure's theme, and the holy music that plays during Abbey and Artorius scenes is nice.

kewlmyc

What's so bad about the music? Zestiria had some really good tunes, especially the element trial temple things

The only memorable music in this game is a few of the cast's themes and the songs associated with the Abbey main villains. I only really count those since I'm a sucker for
a group of characters having the same theme, but played differently with different instruments and song structure.

You're right that Zestiria had some very good music, but the best songs (including the ones you mentioned) were not by the main composer, Sakuraba, but by Go Shiina, who did like 13 tracks for Tales of Zestiria, which were all fantastic. Sakuraba isn't bad, but most of his music in the Tales series (at least as of late) is somewhat bland. He only really produces about 2-5 memorable songs per game (if that). It's fine since he has to constantly churn out 90 track OSTs for each Tales game, and Namco tells him to make the music sound "Tales like", but when they add a secondary composer like Go Shiina that makes music that completely overshadows Sakuraba's output in the same game, it's easy to notice. Sakuraba can make good music. He's responsible for Dark Souls, Baten Kaitos, Star Ocean, and even some Mario sport spinoffs. It's just that Namco is holding him back on what kind of music he can make when it comes to Tales games.

Ydelnae

Just finished Vortigern. I liked the dungeon, it wasn't made of empty and generic hallways and it made use of its setting and environment. Completely different than the garbage that were the first two dungeons.

aravuus

Ohh yeah, everything from the end of Baird Marsh to
the ending of the Melchior boss
battle, where I am now, was pretty goddamn hype. So many reveals in such a short time, too! And
Velvet broke down AND was brought back by the power of STOP FUCKING WHINING
and somehow I didn't even need to suspend my disbelief to buy it! Her VA really hammers home the sheer despair she goes through.

Wonder how much I have left, can't be more than like 5 or 6 hours? Maybe I can finish the game today and actually focus on thesis stuff tomorrow.

Ohh yeah, everything from the end of Baird Marsh to
the ending of the Melchior boss
battle, where I am now, was pretty goddamn hype. So many reveals in such a short time, too! And
Velvet broke down AND was brought back by the power of STOP FUCKING WHINING
and somehow I didn't even need to suspend my disbelief to buy it! Her VA really hammers home the sheer despair she goes through.

Wonder how much I have left, can't be more than like 5 or 6 hours? Maybe I can finish the game today and actually focus on thesis stuff tomorrow.

after killing melchior you are only missing the final dungeon

I've yet to actually kill him, I think. Zaveid just shot him and the Aifread daemon through the earthpulse portal thing.

Looks like I'm in a place called Hexen Isle now.
then you are missing a town and two dungeons, 5-6 hours should be enough

Impulsor

After 13 hours I can safely say that this is my favourite tales game sin Vesperia.

Top three for me:

Berseria
Symphonia
Vesperia

I really enjoy this game, the characters and the story are awesome. There is not ONE character I dislike, which I think is incredible.

Skits are just super funny.

I'm so happy!

SolVanderlyn

Rokurou is underrated. He has a seriously cool design and brings levity to the group without being a fool. There really is no reason for him to be a daemon, though. As far as I know the only thing that differentiates him from a human is the half of his face that he covers anyway.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Rokurou is underrated. He has a seriously cool design and brings levity to the group without being a fool. There really is no reason for him to be a daemon, though. As far as I know the only thing that differentiates him from a human is the half of his face that he covers anyway.

I see almost everyone get love. Eleanor most people seem to find her a bit meh but I like her design reminding me older Tales of Games with the simplicity of her design.

SolVanderlyn

I see almost everyone get love. Eleanor most people seem to find her a bit meh but I like her design reminding me older Tales of Games with the simplicity of her design.
Eleanor is my favorite character next to Eizen, lol. I find her earnestness refreshing
and kinda cute

Vazra

Eleanor is my favorite character next to Eizen, lol. I find her earnestness refreshing
and kinda cute

She is basically someone that would be on a regular good guy cast and it works in a way to give the cast more diversity to the personalities. She might be a crybaby like Velvet calls her and tbh Eleanor doesnt make a big case to save herself from that but it makes sense to be the more emotional one in the group since she is the only human in the party.

Magilou story as short as it was I think it did work to explain why she is the way she is now and overall helped elevate the character more.
Plus her alt costume looking like Harley Quinn is a plus

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Abyss definitely is up there in my top favorite games in the franchise, ahead of Symphonia by a good margin.

Just keep in mind that Luke does start off acting like a petulant spoiled child. Those around him recognize it and often play off it or even give him shit, but it can be very groan-inducing all the same. His maturity growth and development as you progress through the game is one of the shining spots though, and I very much enjoyed the rest of the cast surrounding him, quite a great deal more than Symphonia's tropey band of child heroes.

Also be aware that Abyss has some of the most batshit world lore in the franchise too. It's really awkward hearing terms like 'fonons' crop up incessantly but roll with it. Dungeons have some really inventive puzzles and labyrinthian design that I feel has been lost on the series over the last several entries too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just typical Sakuraba Tales of woes. Most of the tracks are pretty bland and unmemorable. Not to mention they're rather over used too. Most of the fields have the same track, the caves have the same track, the ruins each have the same track. It gets immensely tiring when the tracks themselves weren't that good in the first place.

I'd agree with this, but there are still a good few Sakuraba highlight tracks in Zestiria amidst the repetition, moreso than what I have heard in Berseria which I still think is quite a step below.

Zafir

I'd agree with this, but there are still a good few Sakuraba highlight tracks in Zestiria amidst the repetition, moreso than what I have heard in Berseria which I still think is quite a step below.

I think I was mostly thinking of Xillia when I typed that which had the same issue of Berseria. Mostly unmemorable.

kromeo

Xillia had some decent town music but I can't remember a thing outside of that. Except for the Xillia 2 opening theme of course

Vazra

You probably taking Go Shiina's credit for the dungeon tracks cause I dont remember a thing from Sakuraba's part tbh.

Top Bottom