• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Man, I am REALLY liking this relationship between Velvet and Eizan. Them sorta speaking on events and situations and planning things from the background while the rest of the party does it's shit really adds a lot to their character and relationship. Them talking about Eleanor with Eizan saying
"Good people don't use people like we do"
was really good.

The ending was super underwhelming,and a bit dumb. Never finished Zesteria so maybe it's to blame?

Anyways this was such a great experience. Never thought I'd enjoy a tales game this much, or that I'd find one of my favorite RPGs party of all time in one. Loved the characters, especially Magilou, such a loveable asshole. Story was also strong and engaging most of the time. Loved the writing in the game.

Dungeons were godawful though, especially coming from FFXV. Bland, samey, and needlessly big. Traversing them was such a chore. World design overall was subpar, especially with things like Xenoblade around. They need to step thier game in this department in the next installment, and get that guy from Zesteria to do the whole OST. Berseria is such a step down from it. Those were the major fall downs that prevents Berseria from being a favorite RPG for me, since I think story, characters, and combat are up there.

Now, is this the exception or are there more Tales games with story and characters this good? Played 6-10 hours in Graces, Xillia, and Zesteria and none of them was in the same league. Really curious about the rest of the series now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Berseria is essentially if Yuri, the most interesting protag in tales, was basically the whole main cast.

Essentially your not going to get another tales game with a cast this good

Now, is this the exception or are there more Tales games with story and characters this good? Played 6-10 hours in Graces, Xillia, and Zesteria and none of them was in the same league. Really curious about the rest of the series now.
Story
Characters
Gameplay
Music

Most Tales games you can pick two of them that will be great and the others will be subpar to passable at best.

None of the games are actively bad IMO but Berseria is the closest to a total package since Vesperia.

Giolon

Yes, though it depends on what you liked about the characters and story.

Vesperia's protagonist is probably the closest you've got to a Velvet. He's dark, but he's not a raging edgelord like Velvet. He's just not got time for "the system's" bullshit, especially if it means a villain is going to get away. Rita (the genius mage) is the highlight as far as entertaining characters go, followed by Raven (the shady semi-drunken badass).

Abyss has my favorite cast & story pre-Berseria (cast is rivaling so far, story isn't). Yes, Luke is a whiny bitch, but that's the point. He needs to do some growing up and the rest of the party makes sure he knows it. This game has the best recurring crew of villains for me.

Symphonia is tied for favorite story, and slightly less favored cast compared to Abyss. Lloyd is a typical enthusiastic do-gooder, and Colette is the typical "willing to sacrifice myself for the good of all" damsel, but Sheena and Genis are the entertainment value characters. I remember the twists in this game blew my mind back in the day.

Berseria is essentially if Yuri, the most interesting protag in tales, was basically the whole main cast.
LOL this is kind of true.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I don't see why we wouldn't since there's no anime based costumes this time around. The costumes that have yet to release are the idolmaster, pirate, school, and Tales cameo costumes, and idolmaster costumes are no longer an issue as of Tales of Xillia 1.

Hope so. I like those costumes more than the ones we have right now.

I think this looks cute on Velvet.

Tales-of-Berseria-DLC-costumes-Velvet-Rutee-Katrea.jpg

Bladenic

Just finished the game. If anyone can beat the final boss
when it's two of them at least
on Hard please do share how. Only boss I had to lower to Moderate for, but I also didn't feel like trying too much.

God the ending... so many feelings. Some questions. If you've played Zestiria and finished it then the ending of Berseria is nothing but depressing.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They weren't kidding when they said this was a long game. Just hit 40 hours. It doesn't feel like it though, time sure flies...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
on Hard please do share how. Only boss I had to lower to Moderate for, but I also didn't feel like trying too much.

God the ending... so many feelings. Some questions. If you've played Zestiria and finished it then the ending of Berseria is nothing but depressing.
I may have gotten teary eyed tbh

Bladenic

Can someone who's played the JP version tell me what they called
the flames of purification? Because here they called it Silver Flame but I believe in Zestiria they call it white flames. Just wondering if it's consistent.

Gonna do some post game stuff but I do plan on writing a big post/review and also looking to discuss the ending. But now I really feel like I need to replay Zestiria cuz I have all these questions but I can't recall if they're addressed in Zesty. Oh well.

Personally I wouldn't mind another game set in this universe. Or anime, whether that's a Berseria adaptation or set in this universe.

Jiraiza

Man, I am REALLY liking this relationship between Velvet and Eizan. Them sorta speaking on events and situations and planning things from the background while the rest of the party does it's shit really adds a lot to their character and relationship. Them talking about Eleanor with Eizan saying
"Good people don't use people like we do"
was really good.

I like to believe that they'd be a thing if it weren't for Velvet's quest for revenge. Well,
assuming she could see him.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are there more scenes where
Velvet wrecks shit to other places and beats up people? Kinda like in the first town.

Wagram

Do they ever say why Magilou and Rokurou were
locked up in Titania? I know towards the beginning in the Icecaps area they gave some vague ass answers. One about doing something at home and the other being betrayed.
No spoilers please. Just want to know if that answer is coming or if they don't ever say.

Vamphuntr

Like I said yesterday I really don't get Hard mode in this one. I'm at the part where you can now get dangerous encounters. They basically boil down to press RT before something hits you because enemies STUN you all the time while you STUN them all the time. Don't know if it's a bug with steam version but it's ridiculous. In dangerous encounters attacks from both sides seems to stun all the time. So I spam endlessly with Velvet Break Soul and win while the AI is dead. That seems like poor balancing.

jrush64

Banned
I do not like this stun based battle system the game uses. Just seems needlessly complicated to me. Xillia 2 and Graces had the best battle system to me.

A question about exp, I'm playing on Hard difficulty and getting little exp. It I lower the difficulty, would I get more exp when trying to grind?

Welp, considering I didn't care much for Zestiria ending, this makes me sad. I just played through Yakuza 0 and that ending made me sad too. :( I need a happy ending dang it!

Jiraiza

Zestiria? Is that a new game?

DKL

Like I said yesterday I really don't get Hard mode in this one. I'm at the part where you can now get dangerous encounters. They basically boil down to press RT before something hits you because enemies STUN you all the time while you STUN them all the time. Don't know if it's a bug with steam version but it's ridiculous. In dangerous encounters attacks from both sides seems to stun all the time. So I spam endlessly with Velvet Break Soul and win while the AI is dead. That seems like poor balancing.

I'd actually prefer it if the enemy always got stuns when I'm caught not blocking and I didn't get stuns as rapidly. As it is, it's pretty easy to confirm stuns with any of the characters even on dangerous encounters on Intense.

While playing defense is kinda lame in the game, I'd at least like to be forced to do it more.

(though I feel like the optimal gameplay would involve using the just frame dodge more, but I think that might make it too hard for most people... but maybe this is what Chaos is like? I sure wish they gave it to me right away)

I don't know if it's because the game broke once I mastered all the random passive armor abilities, but it feels like you can't go 5 hits without some random thing getting stunned by any of the characters. The game gives other moves all these other passive abilities and I'm wondering if it serves any purpose outside of varying the visuals of your combos.

I don't even use spells anymore because I'm always fishing for stun.

(spells are fun though: I like the idea that I have to whiff dodges and then go into a spell to get the optimal spell casting time)

That said, an annoying thing happens recently where I'd get a stun on an Enemy with not Velvet characters, but then I don't get the diamonds. Not sure why that is, but I get stuck there after a character switch waiting to get a dizzy so I can build meter and then switch out to someone else... really slows the pace down even though I properly fished for the stun since there's seemingly no explanation as to why I didn't gain the diamonds back.

But yes, the only risk I seem to encounter in the game at this point is when I decide to style (if you can actually call it that... all I'm doing is switching to another character, mashing a combo, R2, then switch to another character to repeat the same flowchart) and switch Velvet out during a combo, but then I don't have meter to switch back in. Not sure if I'm reading the UI wrong, but they don't seem to tell you how much Mystic Artes gauge your sub characters have before they come in, so I can't assess the situation properly.

It is definitely fun, but very autopilot. Like playing a DMC4 Dante, but without the execution necessary to look nice lol

Can someone who's played the JP version tell me what they called
the flames of purification? Because here they called it Silver Flame but I believe in Zestiria they call it white flames. Just wondering if it's consistent.

Gonna do some post game stuff but I do plan on writing a big post/review and also looking to discuss the ending. But now I really feel like I need to replay Zestiria cuz I have all these questions but I can't recall if they're addressed in Zesty. Oh well.

Personally I wouldn't mind another game set in this universe. Or anime, whether that's a Berseria adaptation or set in this universe.

I hoped they would explain how lailah got the flames but no, it's just laphicet becoming mautelos which he is already a dragon but I remember that when I got to zestiria ending sorey was surprised to see him as a dragon like it meant he was corrupted and he wasn't like that before. Also I think there is a subquest involving eizen and zaveid , hope it explains how he ended up as a dragon. Other things I got maybe is that Magilou is like half malak/human.

Zafir

Later on in the game there's some encounters where it becomes a lot more difficult to stun enemies, mean while the enemy can stun you like crazy. It's kind of annoying.

Bladenic

So what are the cameo mystic artes? I wanna make sure I have them right:

Velvet: her second is from Kyle from ToD2
Laphicet: Indignation
Eleanor: Lostfon Drive
Magilou: Ascending Angel is Yuri's second from the PS3 version
Eizen: no idea, his third reminds me highly of Bisley's MA from Xillia 2 but it's not the same name
Rokurou: his second MA is highly reminiscent of Rose's Jade Luminescence
Artorius: MFing Savage Wolf Fury and it looks amazing

That's all I got so far. I remember I posted something long ago about how I want the next Tales game (maybe around Xillia's release) to have three mystic artes per character and that one of them each would be a cameo MA. Thanks for listening to me Namco :p

So what are the cameo mystic artes? I wanna make sure I have them right:

Velvet: her second is from Kyle from ToD2
Laphicet: Indignation
Eleanor: Lostfon Drive
Magilou: Ascending Angel is Yuri's second from the PS3 version
Eizen: no idea, his third reminds me highly of Bisley's MA from Xillia 2 but it's not the same name
Rokurou: his second MA is highly reminiscent of Rose's Jade Luminescence
Artorius: MFing Savage Wolf Fury and it looks amazing

That's all I got so far. I remember I posted something long ago about how I want the next Tales game (maybe around Xillia's release) to have three mystic artes per character and that one of them each would be a cameo MA. Thanks for listening to me Namco :p
Savage wolf fury got me so excited I had to keep him alive to see it like 4 times

Xevren

Finished it up today, I really haven't had this much fun with an rpg in waaaaaay too long. Did pretty much everything I could before beating it too. Eizen is probably my favorite character now, dude rules.

Momentary

Banned
For PC gamers you can use the AA compatibility bit :0x084012C5 in NVIDIA Inspector to apply SGSSAA to Berseria. It's the same one used for Zestiria.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5175770&postcount=3204

If you don;t find the game's AA solutions to be to your liking, this should smooth things out a bit more. x4 SGSSAA is VERY demanding. Even at 1080p. x8 even more so. But if you got a 1070 or 1080 and want to give this game a little more push then this should be good for you.

Note: Turn off other AA solution even if you choose to override them. I had performance issues keeping SMAA on.

Note 2: x2 SGSSAA works as well and is the most recommended option @ 4K or 5K if you're running some kind of monster rig. Also, if you're running ultra shadows for TBFix, bump them down to high for a big boost in performance.

Note 3: Don't use x8 SGSSAA on this game period. Unless you're from the future and have a Titan X Volta.

Are glacite effects just permanent buffs to your game, or do you have to do something to "use" them?

I got one that says "Grants a random skill that increases equipment mastery speed" but in the menu it says "equipment mastery speed +10%".

So is this always in effect now or do I somehow have to get the skill onto a weapon?

Giolon

Are glacite effects just permanent buffs to your game, or do you have to do something to "use" them?

I got one that says "Grants a random skill that increases equipment mastery speed" but in the menu it says "equipment mastery speed +10%".

So is this always in effect now or do I somehow have to get the skill onto a weapon?

What that means is that effect can now appear as a bonus random skill on equipment. See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229558873&postcount=1859 for an illustration.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Yeah, they are buffs, the game does not explain it well. I thought they were upgrades to equipment for like 5 hours until I decided to check how they worked.

Top Bottom