• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
LMAO your last line really made laugh hard. Not even sure what she did to deserve that kind of disrespect, not like Oscar didn't fail just as if not even harder than Teresa. Actually he failed
twice, while she only failed once.

Also Oscar and Teresa's
creepy as fuck incest relationship was creepy.

The best thing that happened to Teresa
is she got kicked in the face by Velvet early in the game.

Giolon

Velvet was basically like Luke from Abyss, unlikable on purpose for 4/5 through the game until her character progression.

Luke is a whiny, spoiled little brat. Velvet's filled with rage and anger over the murder of her family - which makes her cold to the plights of others and very driven in her goal of revenge. I don't think that means Velvet's intended to be unlikable.

Giolon

Putting this in spoilers out of extra caution, but a nice Zestiria connection was posted on twitter showing a location in both games:

EyPnl9V.jpg

x42eO0J.jpg

Very cool, IMO!

Vamphuntr

Luke is a whiny, spoiled little brat. Velvet's filled with rage and anger over the murder of her family - which makes her cold to the plights of others and very driven in her goal of revenge. I don't think that means Velvet's intended to be unlikable.

The whole point of her character was that she was an hypocrite imo. SPOILERS for the whole game.
She spends the whole game being mean and using people pretending it's for her little brother but in the end it was for herself only. It was pretty obvious from the sacrifice scene and Laphicet's character that he was part of the plan and wanted to be sacrificed for the greater good especially since he could read Arthur's books and see Seres. She does all these awful stuff in the name of someone else until you get the long boring earthpulse dungeon where she sees the truth from the Earthen Historia and realize how wrong she was. Pretty weak that the whole conclusion is that well I will get vengeance but for myself then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Think I'm going to finish the game later since I've been just doing all the side stuff the last day or two.

I still missed Rokorou's though, still missing his trophy/recolor but I have no idea where to go for it and have no more directions on the map for anything but the main story. Any ideas?

Giolon

Wonder if the sky in Zestiria inspired the Scarlet Night

I wouldn't be surprised! The connections between the two games are pretty great, and it's making me want to play Zestiria even though I've only heard it's kind of bad. Maybe I should watch the anime instead.

The whole point of her character was that she was an hypocrite imo. SPOILERS for the whole game.
She spends the whole game being mean and using people pretending it's for her little brother but in the end it was for herself only. It was pretty obvious from the sacrifice scene and Laphicet's character that he was part of the plan and wanted to be sacrificed for the greater good especially since he could read Arthur's books and see Seres. She does all these awful stuff in the name of someone else until you get the long boring earthpulse dungeon where she sees the truth from the Earthen Historia and realize how wrong she was. Pretty weak that the whole conclusion is that well I will get vengeance but for myself then.

Sure, that's all true. I agree with all of that. However, I don't think that means that she's supposed to be unlikeable, just a very flawed character. She's certainly no role model.

Holy shit! just got to(well finished) (LATE GAME SPOLIERS)
Oscar and the invention of the armatus, Teresa becoming a Therion, Velvet Killing them both, the attack on Titania, the real laphicet being inominant!!!

SHIT GOT TOO REAL!!!!

I'm really curious what the heck happened with the last stretch of the English localization. It reads like the audio was fed to a speech-to-text machine or something. Time constraints? It's really jarring because it was fine for the rest of the game.

Anyway, I beat the game last night and am doing some of the stuff that triggered after the final boss, then I might go back to try and finish Zestiria. Great game, good ending. I enjoyed myself a lot. I played on hard and it took me around 76 hours with my thoroughness. I had to lower the final battle to moderate because I was sleep-deprived and didn't feel like going through AI tactics just for one fight. I'm surprised just how different the fight was, actually. None of the spells that wrecked me in record time were used at all.

Props to Namco for their Latin American localizations lately. I switched to Spanish to take a quick look and was very pleased with it. Might have to do a playthrough down the line in Spanish (It'll be cool to have Tales of games dubbed in Latin American Spanish one day, too).

Are we gong to get any of the dlc from japan? because some of the dlc outifts are so much better than Velvets regular outfit I really hate it for some reason, ans I usually don't get bugged by this kind of stuff lol.

Omg that ending. I loved this game so much >.<

Indeed. Best Tales of story imho.

And what makes it more interesting is the connections to Zestiria. They really thought out both games well from the start it seems. I really suggest people play Zestiria or watch the anime before jumping into Berseria.

Velvet's default outfit is straight-up trash. It's inexcusable. I do like the colors, but that's about it.

Who didn't laugh when she
"changed" into it during the prison escape? She changed from rags to... different colored rags.

Jiraiza

Did I miss something?

Dyle was kind of just standing next to her (Medissa), I saw mo implication that they were an item or anything. Nothing was implied while he was a lizard either.
Someone's gotta be a father figure for Moana, after all.

Cornbread78

I'm pretty sure I was spoiled yesterday on the end game plot when they talked about Velvet Crow in the Tales of Zestiria the X anime episode that aired Sun.

Cornbread78

Yeah that happened...

Still a little pissed about it since I'm only about 20 hours into the game and just got my a$$ kicked for the first time by
Artorius

I just watched that scene and my jaw dropped knowing I just spoiled a shit ton with only a couple lines.... Why Ufotable?

Ydelnae

Holy shit! just got to(well finished) (LATE GAME SPOLIERS)
Oscar and the invention of the armatus, Teresa becoming a Therion, Velvet Killing them both, the attack on Titania, the real laphicet being inominant!!!

SHIT GOT TOO REAL!!!!

I finished that part yesterday. It was amazing. The characters (except Rokuro which feels as if they just put a Xillia character in this universe lol) continue to surprise me and Laphicet shows so much growth.

I hope there is not a "now complete all these side quests before finishing the game" moment like Zestiria.

Datschge

Is this supposed to make me feel better about things?
No, but unlike the entirely superfluous Berseria episodes in season 1 Velvet's inclusion in the OP is now finally starting to be warranted. But yeah, the anime is serious spoiler territory from now on, wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come.

PSA: Don't watch Zestiria the X season 2 before finishing Berseria!

No, but unlike the entirely superfluous Berseria episodes in season 1 Velvet's inclusion in the OP is now finally starting to be warranted. But yeah, the anime is serious spoiler territory from now on, wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come.

PSA: Don't watch Zestiria the X season 2 before finishing Berseria!

You don't need to finish Berseria. It has like one thing that could be a spoiler and it's revealed in Berseria well before the end.

Cornbread78

You don't need to finish Berseria. It has like one thing that could be a spoiler and it's revealed in Berseria well before the end.

I guess I just haven't gotten there yet. I'm not too worried about it, I just wasn't expecting plot details of Berseria to be laid out within the Tales of Zestiria anime like that, lol.

cwistofu

Has the AI bug been fixed yet? Searching online shows me reports of the jan 31 patch that didn't actually fix it but I can't find anything else definitive.

PaulSane

Has the AI bug been fixed yet? Searching online shows me reports of the jan 31 patch that didn't actually fix it but I can't find anything else definitive.

Yes, it has been fixed.

Finished this game a couple of days ago at 129 hours mark. I was playing on Hard and Intense alternating between the two, and doing a lot of side stuff, as well as some grade grinding and achievements. Still have some stuff to do, but i'll probably just leave it for later when i'm doing a NG+ run. Overall, it was a very nice experience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Late game.
At the part where inomenent (SP?) threw the gang into eathern historia land, man velvet has been extremely unlikable for the last couple of hours now. She's just 'evil' for the sake of being evil, sigh.

Can't believe I'm considering buying costumes for this game. The high school ones look pretty cool (especially brown version Rokurou), but I think I'm content enough with what I've gotten in-game. I'll be strong.

My team:

The Eizen recolor is so good.

Lnds500

Can't believe I'm considering buying costumes for this game. The high school ones look pretty cool (especially brown version Rokurou), but I think I'm content enough with what I've gotten in-game. I'll be strong.

My team:

The Eizen recolor is so good.

I can see I am not the only one who had Rokurou with a towel and his hair pulled back.

:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They really butcher a lot of the sidequest lines later on, voice is fine but the text doesn't even make sense. Seemed to happen to magilou the most.

Dug the ending though, definitely my favorite tales since Vesperia but I still have issues with this one I've had with the last couple. Areas/dungeons are too much of a drag even though this had my favorite cast/story, I think this had higher highs but Vesperia is still the more overall well rounded.

Datschge

I was saying that for the whole season in general. I doubt this one rather tame name drop flashback will be the only time something from Berseria is spoiled, I expect more to come in the following episodes. There are plenty story strands/open questions from both games which they may opt to resolve in the anime until it's done.

jrcbandit

Maid/butler and pirate costumes are up! $6.99 for each set.

Tempted to get the Pirate costumes but I'm ~60-65 hours into game and about to head towards the last
Therion that Oscar is guarding
. Do I have enough game left to even warrant getting new costumes? I understand not releasing all the DLC costumes on day 1, but it shouldn't have been spread out this long.

Giolon

Tempted to get the Pirate costumes but I'm ~60-65 hours into game and about to head towards the last
Therion that Oscar is guarding
. Do I have enough game left to even warrant getting new costumes? I understand not releasing all the DLC costumes on day 1, but it shouldn't have been spread out this long.

I'd say yes, you do.

I think they intend the costume DLC as a bit of an incentive to replay the game.

Lucreto

How far am I into the Game?

I am about
to enter the area where the Water Empyrean temple is located after getting the poem from the book translated.

Wagram

Ending didn't do much for me to be honest. It's not bad by any means. Good story though.

I am about
to enter the area where the Water Empyrean temple is located after getting the poem from the book translated.

I was at that place at about 32 hours in on Intense. I ended at 82 hours. I would say roughly 55-60%? The game is very back loaded on side content.

Lucreto

Ending didn't do much for me to be honest. It's not bad by any means. Good story though.

I was at that place at about 32 hours in on Intense. I ended at 82 hours. I would say roughly 55-60%? The game is very back loaded on side content.

Thanks, trying to blitz through the game before Horizon and Mass Effect comes out. I really hate blitzing games but there are too many games to play and I have so little time.

Giolon

I am about

I'd say you're at the first third of "Act 2", which puts you about 50% through the whole game.

Top Bottom