• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

So I've gotten by largely mashing, but want to try get a better understanding and appreciation of the combat system. I'm a bit confused by characters like Eleanor and her repertoire of physical and magic artes. Like should I just make her combos physical attacks and use magic via the menu? Or should I try incorporate them into combos? I've been trying the latter, but having her cast spells right next to enemies feels needlessly risky.

Also I don't really get why I'm finding it much harder to stun enemies as her. Velvet seems to stun enemies just by looking at them, but I barely ever get stuns as Eleanor. I've tried stringing moves with stun properties together, but they still don't seem to stun reliably.

Finally, how much should I focus on spreading out my artes usage? The in game tutorial suggested it's important to get as many stars for as many artes as possible, but is it really that important?

Ending your combos with magic artes is a pretty wise choice since that will decrease the amount of time it takes to cast them significantly. Or if you're gonna use a magic heavy character like Magilou use one of her quick spells then combo with the longer spells. Least that's one way I use Magilou. Then other I mixed up her artes between magic and physical.

In regards to stunning people, I heavily used the mechanic that you guard for a couple seconds then attack, it increases your chances of stun.

Taruranto

So I've gotten by largely mashing, but want to try get a better understanding and appreciation of the combat system. I'm a bit confused by characters like Eleanor and her repertoire of physical and magic artes. Like should I just make her combos physical attacks and use magic via the menu? Or should I try incorporate them into combos? I've been trying the latter, but having her cast spells right next to enemies feels needlessly risky.

Also I don't really get why I'm finding it much harder to stun enemies as her. Velvet seems to stun enemies just by looking at them, but I barely ever get stuns as Eleanor. I've tried stringing moves with stun properties together, but they still don't seem to stun reliably.

Finally, how much should I focus on spreading out my artes usage? The in game tutorial suggested it's important to get as many stars for as many artes as possible, but is it really that important?

Not an Eleonor player, but with Eizen I have Martial Arte-->Martial Arte ---> Martial Arte ---> Malak arte. I basically made a Wind Artes tree, an Earth Artes one and a Stun Artes one.

You want to cast Malak Artes last because the cast-time will be super fast or close to that. Like my Flash Step is basically instantaneous and the enemies are generally always knocked down so they can't interrupt me anyway.

X button is also all Malak Artes in case I want to cast something.

Can't really help you with stunning, but with Eizen I had serious issues stunning until I heavily modified his art trees, so he had 4 stunning moves in a row.

so what strategies have ppl set up for the characters, still using the default ones myself, however wish healing did more, in this game it just doesnt feel as effective as previous games (although only seem to have trouble with dire foes on hard mode lol) but still ...

wondering how far i am
just finished the visit to velvets home, and she passed out
around level 52 i think. am i underlevelled/overlevelled?

so what strategies have ppl set up for the characters, still using the default ones myself, however wish healing did more, in this game it just doesnt feel as effective as previous games (although only seem to have trouble with dire foes on hard mode lol) but still ...

wondering how far i am
Over leveled I would say.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

wondering how far i am

I'm at the end of the game and at that level, lol.

Though I think I might be underleveled due to the party always opening battles with worried lines.

wondering how far i am

Way over leveled, I was only 55 when I beat the game and didn't even skip any fights.

Dawg

I started playing as Eizen instead of Velvet in battles and I really like the feel of his bare-hands combat moves. Stun and R2 all day long.

THE REAPER IS HERE

e_i

And done. Great ending with
Velvet imprisoning her brother with her so everybody else can live.
Also, I thought Magilou was best character, but it's Laphicet by a mile. His
love confession at the end to Velvet
got me teared up. Also the end credits sketches are really cute. Are they
what would have happened if everything hadn't gone to hell?
Best Tales game I've played so far.

VpomRurd

As someone who has never managed to finish a Tales game before, is this game worth it? The bit I'm most worried about is the combat, I've tried the demo but needless to say I had very little idea about it all. Does it work well and is it fun to play? Are the other systems around the combat deep and engaging too?

Fauve

A combo I like to do with Eleanor is using Maelstrom right after her Break Soul to bring the enemy right back up to continue the combo afterwards. I usually end a 4 arte combo with the Break Soul so that the Maelstrom cast is pretty quick.

And regarding the arte stars, I'll refer you to this great guide on GameFaqs:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/167071-tales-of-berseria/faqs/74291

This is what is specifically said about it:
The stars you gain by using artes a bunch of times serve two purposes. If you count up all the stars a character has across all of their artes, that's how many BG 'points' you'll get back at the beginning of every battle (100 BG points = 1 BG). Advantageous encounters double the amount you get, but dangerous or risky encounters don't give you any. The other thing that arte usage count does is work in conjunction with certain skills (mainly you'll find these on titles -- things like "do more damage with artes that have more usage"). Here's some concrete numbers on exactly what you get with each skill (note that you don't get all of these bonuses just by having high arte usage, you must be wearing the appropriate title as well, which will have just 1 or 2 of these bonuses):

More damage at higher combos: For every hit your damage goes up 1%, so at 100 hits you'll be doing double damage.

Do more damage with more stars on artes: For each half star you get from using an arte X times you gain 5% more damage on that arte. So, if you had 5 stars on an arte you'd be doing 50% more damage with this skill equipped.

Stagger longer with more stars on artes: For each half star you stagger 0.025 seconds longer. So at 5 stars you'd stagger 0.25 seconds longer with that arte when you have this skill equipped.

Longer super armor with more stars on artes: For each half star you get an extra 0.066 seconds of super armor. So at 5 stars you'd get an extra 0.66 seconds of super armor when you have this skill equipped.

Better chance of triggering chance effects with more stars on artes: For each half star you get an extra 0.1x chance. So at 5 stars you'd get 2x the chance for chance effects to trigger when you have this skill equipped.

Lower SG cost of arte with more stars: For each half star you lower the SG cost of the arte by 5%. So at 5 stars you'd have 50% reduction to the SG cost of the arte when you have this skill equipped.

Giolon

So what are people doing regarding enhancing gear? I've got Acerites that grant bonus BG, SG, and HP regen, for +5, +10, etc. all the way up to +30 cumulative enhancement totals. But I've never got enough materials to be continually enhancing my gear to anything more than +1 or +2 here and there since I keep getting new gear and keep needing to swap out equipment so that everyone can Master all the skills on them.

I think I've gotten to take advantage of +1 BG like 3 times the entire game (and I'm about 75-80% the way through & Level 50). I've never sold a piece of gear, only dismantled.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
16716250_1562589597103909_4800918594926180478_o.jpg

Rokurou without the bang looks cool.

It might help if you guys listed what difficulty you are playing on. You might have been Lv55, but I assume you might have been on a harder difficulty (less EXP gain)

Normal, I assume everyone is on normal when they don't say what they're playing on...since its normal to play on normal.

SephLuis

Okay, got to the last boss on the hard difficulty, but this is BS. I need some help with this fight.

My main problem is
Innominat
which keeps spamming a magic that hits almost the entire battle field and kills everyone. He spams this shit and I cant stun him out of it. I can get away, but the AI is stupid and it's killing me. Any tips ?

Okay, got to the last boss on the hard difficulty, but this is BS. I need some help with this fight.

My main problem is
Innominat
which keeps spamming a magic that hits almost the entire battle field and kills everyone. He spams this shit and I cant stun him out of it. I can get away, but the AI is stupid and it's killing me. Any tips ?
I also played on Hard:
I got through this by controlling Magilou and setting everyone else to "Interrupt Artes use". That way they pretty much focused on killing Innominat and if a spell was about to go off I'd use Magilou's Spell Absorber.

Was still tough, but once he goes down Arthur is a pushover.

Datschge

Also the end credits sketches are really cute. Are they
what would have happened if everything hadn't gone to hell?
Yeah, interpreted them as dream of the two of that alternate reality where Laphicet is without sickness and both go on normal adventures while Celica and her unborn son (Phi) also don't die.

Rokurou without the bang looks cool.
His hat style hair is without the bang.

Arkeus

He didn't appear for me, is he a Chaos only spawn in that dungeon?

Dire foes are monsters that appears after you have won the battle if you have recently won a lot of grade in the zone. There is one 'type' of Dire Foe per continent, and each time you kill them they gain levels in the next encounter.

Dire Foes are super nice for Grade given that if you are pretty good about it they can net you a couple hundred, and are farmable.

They also drop glacite? the first time you kill a specific type.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I only ran into a single Dire Foe at like 30 hours, in that Earth Pulse. I thought my game bugged out at first when there was no enemies but the battle didn't end.

I only ran into a single Dire Foe at like 30 hours, in that Earth Pulse. I thought my game bugged out at first when there was no enemies but the battle didn't end.

What difficulty are you playing on? also, you should be fighting in dangerous encounters, that helps them to spawn. I played on intense for most of the game, and they pop up regularly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What difficulty are you playing on? also, you should be fighting in dangerous encounters, that helps them to spawn. I played on intense for most of the game, and they pop up regularly.
I played on Moderate most of the game, but turned it back to normal near the end.

Just finished the game after 72 hours, Level 71.
Did all the side quests i could find / trigger. Defeated every dire enemy too.

Great game :)
But still missing a little bit, to be a true classic tales game.
The Soundtrack was very medicore, for example.

Also really hope they will use a new engine and art style for the next game.

R0ckman

About Rokurou...
Would Rokurou be invisible to humans at the conclusion of the game?

Seems like the world of Berseria and Zestiria needs one more game to wrap things up. Berseria opened up the concept of deamons as a third identity that can possibly dwell in peace with people, Zestiria kind of conflicts with it in that it paints all hellions as evil, or unreasonable monsters, on top of this there seems to more room in the story to find a reasonble solution to allow all humans to see malakim/seraphim. Hope to see a game that will clean up Zestiria's mess completely.

About Rokurou...

Seems like the world of Berseria and Zestiria needs one more game to wrap things up. Berseria opened up the concept of deamons as a third identity that can possibly dwell in peace with people, Zestiria kind of conflicts with it in that it paints all hellions as evil, or unreasonable monsters, on top of this there seems to more room in the story to find a reasonble solution to allow all humans to see malakim/seraphim. Hope to see a game that will clean up Zestiria's mess completely.

Zestiria didn't really paint all Hellions as evil.
Heldalf's immortality corrupted him more than being a hellion. Even still, Heldalf was similar to Artorius in that he wanted a twisted peace. I think another game in this universe would be superfluous unless they want to make one where the Lord of Calamity and the Shepherd are fighting a common threat and end the cycle.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
About Rokurou...

Humans can see Demons/Hellions without Resonance, but they perceive them as normal people.

I could see them make a third game in the world, but I think it may be set even farther in the past. An NPC near the end make mention to the maker of Siegfried (Named Siegfried the first Oracle), and the first Norman to go out in the world.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In Zestiria, I used to think Dezel was partially corrupted into a Hellion because he has pointed teeth that no other Seraphim has, but Berseria makes it seem like
all corrupted Malakhim/Seraphim turn into dragons right away. Maybe that was in Zestira too but I missed it.

Humans can see Demons/Hellions without Resonance, but they perceive them as normal people.

I could see them make a third game in the world, but I think it may be set even farther in the past. An NPC near the end make mention to the maker of Siegfried (Named Siegfried the first Oracle), and the first Norman to go out in the world.
There's also "the far continent" they keep mentioning, which may or may not be the same as Rokurou and Shigure's homeland.

If they do make a third game in this world, I hope it's less overt than Berseria -> Zestiria. More like Symphonia -> Phantasia would be nice (a few references here and there, but nothing too major)

In Zestiria, I used to think Dezel was partially corrupted into a Hellion because he has pointed teeth that no other Seraphim has, but Berseria makes it seem like
all corrupted Malakhim/Seraphim turn into dragons right away. Maybe that was in Zestira too but I missed it.

its plainly stated when going to the mountain where Eizen roams that Seraphim/Malala turn into dragons when corrupted.

SolVanderlyn

its plainly stated when going to the mountain where Eizen roams that Seraphim/Malala turn into dragons when corrupted.
That doesn't discount partial corruption though. I figured that was like the terminal stage of an illness, not BAM! Dragon.

Bladenic

It's weird though because you see some become full big dragons while others become drakes (called puppy dragon in Japanese lmao) or wyverns.

And yeah humans see daemons/hellions as people who've just gone crazy or whatever.

R0ckman

That doesn't discount partial corruption though. I figured that was like the terminal stage of an illness, not BAM! Dragon.

Side quest where you fight Rokurou's mother confirms that its a gradual process. You fight her as this dragon swordsman and I believe they say she was killed by Shigure and that she was reborn a malak and was in the process of corrupting.

This game really makes me wish Zestiria wasn't such a mess with its themes because Berseria sets up a ton of potential for a game linked to it. Even the small associations Berseria establishes make me want to like Zestiria more even though it doesn't really deserve it. Even look at Zaveid was a main party member in Zestiria, and yet I never cared a bit about him until Berseria gave a reason for me to.

Mieu

I haven't played Bersi yet, but in most tales games,like Zestiria, you are rewarded shorter casting times after performing X number of combos. It almost always connects. Also, check your skill sets. There may be a need to activate it from the character settings.

So... why aren't there CE left? Is the novel any good?

SolVanderlyn

Side quest where you fight Rokurou's mother confirms that its a gradual process. You fight her as this dragon swordsman and I believe they say she was killed by Shigure and that she was reborn a malak and was in the process of corrupting.
Whoa! How did I miss this quest?

I missed
Zaveid's
too. :(

120v

so... i'm still early in the game, just got Eizen so i'm guessing my party is fully formed now

was wondering, am i going to have to up the difficulty to do anything other than button mashing? normally i'd just go for it but i haven't quite wrapped my head around the arte system (my first Tales game, if that matters)... not really ready to pull that trigger yet but this isn't particularly "fun" either

it's gradual yea, also see eizen break souls and mystic arte dragon howling and his subquest with Zaveid dragon fiancee where he says he will turn sooner or later. Zestiria also makes the same point when seraphim say that a drake can mature into a dragon at merlind or whatever that village was called

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game.

One of the best Tales games and JRPGs in general. The story was top notch and the characters were well built. Though the dungeons were terrible and the fields were a slog to go through. I seriously think they need to go back to world maps or something, because this "go through a field" to get to the next destination isn't working.

I think anyone who likes JRPGs should play this game, it's that good. If only Namco can pull out a quality Tales like this all the time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I missed it both too.

I couldn't defeat the boss for Eizen quest either.

F U C K that boss holy crap. I just did it and it took me damn near 30 minutes.

Used a mystic arte at the end that revived himself at full hp and I wanted to die.

TheFatMan

You know what would be REALLY fun. If I had to fight my way through
Titania
for the 17th time! Yea! /sarcasm

God, this garbage rehash of the same god damn area over and over is making me start to dislike this game strongly. They should have thrown in some dungeon variation near the end of the game, seems like they are just tossing me back into old environments over and over again. Not something that flatters a game that I've already sunk 50 plus hours into.

Top Bottom