• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How do I get Chaos mode? 300 Evil battles only or do I need to have certain titles like "Lord of Evil"... Which I still don't have

How do I get Chaos mode? 300 Evil battles only or do I need to have certain titles like "Lord of Evil"... Which I still don't have

Just 300 battles in evil, I believe. No need to get the title to unlock it though I imagine it kinda comes with unlocking it.

Dariso

Neo Member
I also think playing Xenoblade right after this is a bad idea. It's like the complete opposite of Graces.
A lot of jrpg fans such as myself are gonna be playing xenoblade after this. Yeah the transition from this battle system to the xenoblade one will be interesting.
I was really skeptical regarding the combat of that game,since it look very MMO style. But i guess it suits the game considering its open world design.

Sagitario

STUPID CHERIA STOP GETTING KILLED! Sometimes the AI in this game makes me angry. Also, Pascal is pretty damn useless in the battlefield.

WOW @ Sakuraba's music in Fodra. FINALLY!!! The battle theme and dungeon music are amazing (it even reminds me of Valkyrie Profile)! The battle music in Fendel and some boss themes are also good.

Anyway, I am having some trouble in the overworld because most enemies are weak to the A-artes properties (mostly on Route 66) and I always have a hard time remembering those (and Asbel gets staggered so easily).
I decided to include Pascal for ONE battle (I usually use Asbel, Cheria, Malik and switch between Hubert and Sophie) and I ended up using ALL my Life Bottles, I barely survived. Couldn't believe it.

Anyway, a couple of things/questions:
- I finally have access to the mythril weapons/armor. Are those good for money making? It takes a lot to temper them.
- Shouldn't the enemies be dropping more/better items on Chaos? I am not getting any shards, and I need a haughty shard to sell a Rare Sword.

STUPID CHERIA STOP GETTING KILLED! Sometimes the AI in this game makes me angry. Also, Pascal is pretty damn useless in the battlefield.

WOW @ Sakuraba's music in Fodra. FINALLY!!! The battle theme and dungeon music are amazing (it even reminds me of Valkyrie Profile)! The battle music in Fendel and some boss themes are also good.

Anyway, I am having some trouble in the overworld because most enemies are weak to the A-artes properties (mostly on Route 66) and I always have a hard time remembering those (and Asbel gets staggered so easily).
I decided to include Pascal for ONE battle (I usually use Asbel, Cheria, Malik and switch between Hubert and Sophie) and I ended up using ALL my Life Bottles, I barely survived. Couldn't believe it.

- I finally have access to the mythril weapons/armor. Are those good for money making? It takes a lot to temper them.
- Shouldn't the enemies be dropping more/better items on Chaos? I am not getting any shards, and I need a haughty shard to sell a Rare Sword.

Pascal has always been fine for me. The bonuses for Chaos are: more SP, better shard qualities... aaaaannnnd I think that's it. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think Chaos actually increases the drop rate of shards, just that the shards you get are more likely to have better qualities than on lower difficulties.

Neki

I can't play Pascal at all when there is one ranged attacker, it's impossible to get any casts off. That's why I just spam Rolling Thunderbolt with Hubert, rofl.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I also think playing Xenoblade right after this is a bad idea. It's like the complete opposite of Graces. The music is fabulous, it gets off to a great start, the world is huge and dense, everything feels a lot less linear and restrictive...and the battles are so painfully boring that I actually fell asleep playing. I have a hard time looking forward to The Witcher 2 because I know I won't like it. I'd sacrifice Xenoblade for Dragon's Dogma in a second.

And thanks for the Xenoblade tip, too! After all the time I spent with Graces, I think I'll gladly ignore every sidequest that forces me to go out of my way. The battle system will make or break that game for me. If it ends up getting too easy or boring because of all the sidequests, it'll definitely be in my best interest to avoid those.
I don't have a 360 yet or a fantastic PC so The Witcher isn't at the top of my priority list at the moment. I'm thinking that if it becomes a bit of a rarity later on, I might buy it (like I have with some other 360 games that I bought at a discount) and play it whenever I buy the console.

Quick comment about Xenoblade--and since this thread isn't about that game, I'll leave it at this: I can say with certainty that there's something about Xenoblade's battle system that prevented me from enjoying it more, and I can't really put my finger on what it is. Perhaps it's the repetitiveness of the system (ie: using similar abilities a lot and I wish I had gambits to take care of some of that stuff after a while, thus it ended up feeling not... very engaging, I guess?). I generally found it better to switch it up and use different characters and not just Shulk, since some of the other characters do some neat stuff. I'm indifferent to the quests in general, but I liked how they were handled in terms of not having to go back to people to give things back a lot. Also, another reason to not do all the sidequests in one go is that you'll get experience and that might make you do grinding that you may not want to do in the first place. I effing love that game's landscapes and soundtrack, though. So pretty.

Ughhh, why don't we have those two Tales games in English? Those are my two favorites to watch exhibition videos for. How did we get stuck with games like Dawn of the New World and Radiant Mythology? :(
And the kicker is that Radiant Mythology 2 is miles better than RM1.
Especially in terms of the awesome soundtrack.

Haven't played RM3 yet since it hasn't gone budget (lol, like it ever will).

It's really too bad that Rebirth or ToDr never came out here. The comboing in Destiny remake is ridiculously fun, and I bet people want to experience the Kurea firsthand (though I don't think they'll retain Japanese voicework should it ever be localized in some fashion, so the joke might be a little lost).

I really do like Graces. It's great. I wouldn't have spent 200+ hours on it in one go if it didn't hit the spot for me the way it did. Thank you so much for being one of the people championing it here. I don't like Symphonia as much as other people, for example, so enjoying this a hell of a lot more was a pleasant surprise. At first, I was actually mad this got announced instead of Vesperia PS3. How stupid of me. :p
When I feel and experience a fun battle system, I have to acknowledge it somehow. To be honest, it was because of Shouta's and Bebpo's posts in the original Graces thread, and Aeana's posts in the Graces f demo thread, that I picked Graces f up. I didn't have my Wii homebrewed at the time, so I never played the original version of the game.

I've probably played like almost 220+ hours of Graces in total across 2.5 playthroughs, so I can empathize. Man, I think I'll be all Graces'd out by the time I get the plat for the English version. I was planning on going back to get the plat for the JP version on my US account, but I dunno if I want to do that at the moment. Maybe I'll replay Xillia or move on to Assassin's Creed 2 or Atelier Rorona like I was supposed to after FFXIII-2.

Rofl, glad to see that Schala gets some notoriety. 200+ hours is crazy man. Reminds me of my high school days with Vesperia. *sigh*
Aha, thanks, though I don't think it's a big deal. I just like talking about games with a bunch of people playing the same thing that I'm playing and rationalizing what's good about it, and acknowledging what isn't so great about it.

I was in my undergrad when Vesperia came out, though I'd only played the 360 demo at my cousin's place at the time and liked it a ton. Man, time flies. >.>

Sagitario said:
First question: They are, but I generally prefer the Rare equipment since it's easier to get them to higher ranks for more money. Mythril, I found, is good for defense if you synthesize them a little.

Second question: when you have a lot of shards in your inventory, you aren't going to get a lot of shards afterwards. Chaos isn't going to drop a ton of shards for you, but it increases the likelihood of getting better shards (Easy 20%, Normal 24%, Moderate 28%, Hard 32%, Evil 36%, Chaos 40%). You can also get the Shard increase book and set it in your Eleth Mixer. Battles will only drop one piece.

Drop rate is generally determined by: [highest enemy level in battle - party's average level] / 2 = drop%

The Japanese wiki says this: If you have over 100 Shards of any type, chances of obtaining are decreased by half. Over 150 shards, it'll decrease even further. You will not receive any shards at all if you have 190 shards. You can only have 15 of a shard with the same name, no matter the rank (number) or the quality.

Those arbitrary limits on the amount of shards you can carry are so stupid...

speaking of Xenoblade, I'm not sure what you didn't like about the battle system, Schala, but I LOVED it. Maybe it's because I did switch characters often (I only played as Shulk for about half the game), but I really love Xenoblade's battle system, a lot more than Graces even (actually, relative to other RPGs I've played recently, I don't really like the battle system in Graces much)

Sagitario

Hey hey... don't hate on Dawn of the New World:
- It had 2 amazing characters
- The skits are the best in the series [well, only counting western releases]
- Excellent battle music
- Shin Megami Tensei/Pokémon mechanics
- Fun battle system
- It's a spin-off

With a little more polish, it could have been great instead of good.

Pascal has always been fine for me. The bonuses for Chaos are: more SP, better shard qualities... aaaaannnnd I think that's it. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think Chaos actually increases the drop rate of shards, just that the shards you get are more likely to have better qualities than on lower difficulties.

I see.

First question: They are, but I generally prefer the Rare equipment since it's easier to get them to higher ranks for more money. Mythril, I found, is good for defense if you synthesize them a little.

Second question: when you have a lot of shards in your inventory, you aren't going to get a lot of shards afterwards. Chaos isn't going to drop a ton of shards for you, but it increases the likelihood of getting better shards (Easy 20%, Normal 24%, Moderate 28%, Hard 32%, Evil 36%, Chaos 40%). You can also get the Shard increase book and set it in your Eleth Mixer. Battles will only drop one piece.

Drop rate is generally determined by: [highest enemy level in battle - party's average level] / 2 = drop%

The Japanese wiki says this: If you have over 100 Shards of any type, chances of obtaining are decreased by half. Over 150 shards, it'll decrease even further. You will not receive any shards at all if you have 190 shards. You can only have 15 of a shard with the same name, no matter the rank (number) or the quality.

Well, I suppose that's the problem. I have a bunch of shards. LOTS AND LOTS!
I guess I will sell some, I am too lazy to dualize -> temper -> dualize unless there is a nice spot with enough enemies and a turtlez near. I can't imagine the process being fast and/or easy. There is much randomness involved, IMO.

How are you feeling, Schala?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just 300 battles in evil, I believe. No need to get the title to unlock it though I imagine it kinda comes with unlocking it.

Yeah I just got it. The final boss
Richard, not Lambda
kinda pwned me in Chaos. Doable but very hard and died before killing the boss, was level 101 at that. What level do you recommend to kill the final boss on Chaos?

Sagitario

The RM2 arrangements are great :D

Some Graces tracks I really liked/enjoyed/LOVED:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POzc9GDDPHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rjs8u5G2A8 <--- Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZKq-KTKkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whj-w4YLdqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3RhlUw_uoY <--- So good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ghapehxkqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLzeFmyD3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_feA9CuyUE <--- WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-G-NDChVRQ <--- some parts remind me of Supreme Ruler Of The Nine Heavens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My63fYuI-DI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJs1Mk06ag8 <--- Favorite dungeon music. It's like I am listening to something from Valkyrie Profile, but better.

The final boss theme is also really really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_Y3I9RBnE

Anyone knows if Aoyama did any of those? Because if he didn't, I will blame him for most of the forgettable tracks and the catacombs "song" :p
A reply by Datschge would be nice :D

Labadal

I got the final boss spoiled to me, fuuuuu!

I haven't played this in 4 days because I don't have time to play much. I need to find some time to play this, because everytime I play it, I have so much fun.

scy

Well, I suppose that's the problem. I have a bunch of shards. LOTS AND LOTS!
I guess I will sell some, I am too lazy to dualize -> temper -> dualize unless there is a nice spot with enough enemies and a turtlez near. I can't imagine the process being fast and/or easy. There is much randomness involved, IMO.

I sell basically all the 4-letter ones, assuming I'm in areas where they normally don't drop anyway. Besides that, I buy a lot of items at once to dualize for profit (so, say, 15 Rare Tunics and various weapons) and just mass dualize them to +1. Miso Stew means it takes two fights to temper them so it's a pretty fast process. Lets me burn about 100 shards in pretty much no time at all since I'm doing them in batches of 8. So within about 10 fights I can burn 24 Shards so that's around 30 minutes to burn 100 shards? And all for profit, too.

This is really extra convenient at the Sandshroud Ruins at the end of the game. But, really, every chapter has some location of "here's at least two enemies and a Turtlez nearby."

Edit: Incidentally, I tend to stop my dualizing for profit schemes at 7-letter Qualities. So a Rare Tunic goes to Rigid (Rigid Shard) then to Solemn (Rigid/Grand Shard) then to Magical (Wicked/Solemn Shard). Getting to the 8-letter Qualities is nice but I don't have the needed Qualities in bulk like 5/6. Just easier that way. I use my 7-letter ones to get any of the Upgraded Rare Weapons to Perilous, Poignant, or Fabulous since those tend to go for ~200k in just one tempering.

Yeah I just got it. The final boss
Richard, not Lambda
kinda pwned me in Chaos. Doable but very hard and died before killing the boss, was level 101 at that. What level do you recommend to kill the final boss on Chaos?

I did it at 90 without too much trouble (well, until the end; two people died and it somehow became a clusterfuck getting everyone alive again >> Hey, I hate ending fights with dead people). Your titles and equipment matter a bit more than these few differences in levels, though.

ULTROS!

What titles do you recommend equipping scy?

scy

I did it with everyone's damage reduction titles sans Asbel since I was controlling him and wanted Nova Barrier breaking on every hit (though, in retrospect, this isn't all that useful); helps keep people alive a bit longer. I also have really good equipment across the board (+15 Rare Tunics, +20 Rare Guards) so that kind of helps. Though ... Mumbane / Serpent's Tunic / Shrine Maiden Outfit all kind of blow those out of the water anyway so you can at least outfit three people with those assuming you've maxed out their shops (Telos Astue, Velanik, and Katz Korner).

But, I do think that the
first fight is the harder of the two. Lambda has better attack-everyone damage but he's a pushover to getting combo'd. Richard has a smaller hitstun window it seems to me

ULTROS!

Alright thanks scy.

Anyway, the Velanik
Cheri White play
was hilarious.

Was done with the game last week.

My ps3 hdd died so i am too angry / have no mood to post in here.

+ Best 3d battle system
+ Best team destiny story( only played TOD2 and TOR for team destiny)
+ F arc was great
+ title finally worth using , cooking too , love the mixer.
+ After battle skits are better than usual(mix up your party !!!)

- World feel small
- Still not up to the other team story / world view etc standard
- Outside of PASCAL and Sophie , Voice acting seems only all right.
- My ps3 hdd died (ok not the game fault )

All in all , buy the game.

Wonko_C

A little bit late to the party (had to import the game from the US as I got tired of waiting for it to come out here in Mexico). 20 hours in and I still feel I don't know how to fight correctly, how to maximize my CC or link artes properly instead of randomly or just mashing the same arte over and over again. A training mode would've been nice as enemies die too fast to try new stuff or I end up doing cheap moves to save my life (playing on Moderate).

The text tutorials are nice but I think I need a "Tales of Graces For Dummies" guide or something. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just finished the Sandshroud Ruins. Easily my favorite dungeon in the game so far. I especially loved that huge last color puzzle. Makes me sad there were so few puzzles in the other dungeons.

FSLink

Banned
- Excellent battle music
- Fun battle system
- It's a spin-off

I thought the monster mechanics were crap since you couldn't control them. I want to use an Eggbear! Luckily in NDX they fixed this problem, haha.
Other than that, I agree with you. I know a lot of friends who thought the game was supposed to be a real sequel to Symphonia but it is a spinoff, and one of the better Tales spinoffs, and one of the better ones until RM3 and NDX came out.

AGITΩ

AGIT&#937;;36745002 said:
Hey guys I just got to
Lambda's Cocoon
and I stopped playing for a full day. Jumped back on Trails of Graces and decided to catch up. The first one that I did had foes around 20 levels Below me, and they 2 Hit KO'd me. Thought it was Odd so I tried a later one closer to my level, same thing again. Tried a previously beaten one, killed as well. Went into the actual main game, first enemies get me a game over. I restarted the game and it continued again.
Is this a glitch, or does the game just hate me?

Quoting myself for new page. This game is unplayable for me now. I decided to wait and try again. Just did and still the same issues. I even tried lowing the battle difficulty down to easy. Still when they manage to land a hit, it depletes most of my HP bar....

Jucksalbe

Banned
AGIT&#937;;36760863 said:
Quoting myself for new page. This game is unplayable for me now. I decided to wait and try again. Just did and still the same issues. I even tried lowing the battle difficulty down to easy. Still when they manage to land a hit, it depletes most of my HP bar....

Look into your mixer. Maybe you set the book that halves your stats?

AGITΩ

Look into your mixer. Maybe you set the book that halves your stats?

Thats what you use books for? I actually dont have any books in my mixer...
Oh great...thats what I get for having friends over -_- yeah, they messed with my stats when I left the game on the other day. THANKS :D

Yeah it sounds like 1/2 stat books in your mixer, also what difficulty are you on? Chaos enemies can do a lot of damage but I dunno if you have it unlocked or not.

Alright thanks scy.

Anyway, the Velanik
Cheri White play
was hilarious.

How are you level 101?! My party is all 93-ish after future arc, and I had no problem beating the final boss on Chaos then. Of course, Accel mode helps a lot there. I also equipped damage reduction titles on everyone, like Scy said. I had Asbel, Sophie, Cheria, and Pascal, I put everyone on Aggressive and A heavy except Cheria so she could heal sometimes. Final boss was mostly locked in a combo except when he got enemy eleth burst (which actually happens kind of a lot). He gets crazy when he has low health, I actually died a couple times just because of that

Edgeward

The fuck were they thinking when they made the snow mountain boss?! I can understand reinforcements, I don't understand a constant stream of them with seemingly no end. Evil proved too much as his hp shot thru the roof but Hard was okay as it's starting to click how to combo and expose weaknesses for huge damage.

What general targeting strategy should I be using for people? Cheria and Pascal run right into danger when I tell them to exploit weakness and Hubert is just a fragile little bay as he dies too often in regular fights.

Sagitario

I finally have enough CC to land ~15-20+ combos constantly, but you know what's my only "issue" now?
When you stagger an enemy, if you start a combo with an A-arte you get CC back, right? (it would be nice if you could also recover CC when hitting with a B-arte)
Well, sometimes you are in a middle of a combo and the foe gets staggered, the combo continues (cause you can't cancel an arte animation) and you hit him, but you don't get any CC back.
It would have been great if you at least recovered some minimal CC so you can continue attacking, even if it's just for a bit.
I also thought you could get CC back if you exploited enemies weakness, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least I haven't noticed.

I sell basically all the 4-letter ones, assuming I'm in areas where they normally don't drop anyway. Besides that, I buy a lot of items at once to dualize for profit (so, say, 15 Rare Tunics and various weapons) and just mass dualize them to +1. Miso Stew means it takes two fights to temper them so it's a pretty fast process. Lets me burn about 100 shards in pretty much no time at all since I'm doing them in batches of 8. So within about 10 fights I can burn 24 Shards so that's around 30 minutes to burn 100 shards? And all for profit, too.

This is really extra convenient at the Sandshroud Ruins at the end of the game. But, really, every chapter has some location of "here's at least two enemies and a Turtlez nearby."

Edit: Incidentally, I tend to stop my dualizing for profit schemes at 7-letter Qualities. So a Rare Tunic goes to Rigid (Rigid Shard) then to Solemn (Rigid/Grand Shard) then to Magical (Wicked/Solemn Shard). Getting to the 8-letter Qualities is nice but I don't have the needed Qualities in bulk like 5/6. Just easier that way. I use my 7-letter ones to get any of the Upgraded Rare Weapons to Perilous, Poignant, or Fabulous since those tend to go for ~200k in just one tempering.

I did it at 90 without too much trouble (well, until the end; two people died and it somehow became a clusterfuck getting everyone alive again >> Hey, I hate ending fights with dead people). Your titles and equipment matter a bit more than these few differences in levels, though.

Thanks for this. Just wrote it down.

This game is so addicting. I couldn't play it much when I first got it due to work and illness, but I've really been getting into it this week.

Great stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The fuck were they thinking when they made the snow mountain boss?! I can understand reinforcements, I don't understand a constant stream of them with seemingly no end. Evil proved too much as his hp shot thru the roof but Hard was okay as it's starting to click how to combo and expose weaknesses for huge damage.
LOL. I hate that boss. I did it on Chaos and had to make everyone go Passive whenever he started running around like crazy, or set melee fighters to target enemies that weren't the leader's target. So dumb. I took Pascal out of my party for that one, and used Sophie since she can function as an extra healer.

AGIT&#937;;36760863 said:
Sounds like you got the halved books in the pot to me, or the difficulty was set to a higher one that you're used to. Or equipment may have been changed.

f arc final boss spoilers
Did anyone else use
Blue Earth
against the
f arc final boss?

That felt so satisfying.
When I realized that the boss felt similar to another boss in the series, I ended up trying it out. It was pretty neat.

A little bit late to the party (had to import the game from the US as I got tired of waiting for it to come out here in Mexico). 20 hours in and I still feel I don't know how to fight correctly, how to maximize my CC or link artes properly instead of randomly or just mashing the same arte over and over again. A training mode would've been nice as enemies die too fast to try new stuff or I end up doing cheap moves to save my life (playing on Moderate).

The text tutorials are nice but I think I need a "Tales of Graces For Dummies" guide or something. Could someone point me in the right direction?
I wrote something up a while ago but I don't know how much it'll help out. What you usually want to do is try to link artes so that you're hitting the enemies' weaknesses. You don't want to use the same artes over and over because sometimes they won't be as effective and there are times when enemies are weak against assault artes or burst artes so you have to pick which ones to use, and then try to see if there are any particular assault artes or burst artes that are strong against, say, dragons for example and incorporate that arte into your combo. You want CC boosts to fall into your lap so exploiting weaknesses and quick stepping right at the last second are the easiest ways of doing this.

If you're feeling like the game's too easy, perhaps you should bump the difficulty up to hard?

- Excellent battle music
- Fun battle system
- It's a spin-off

How are you feeling, Schala?
I'm feeling alright today. I kinda hope I feel better on Monday since I have to go into the lab. :x Thanks for asking, though. :)

And I liked Dawn of the New World in terms of the monster mechanics. When you get down into it, it has quite a bit of depth to it. I don't really like how the battle system was handled (like, I didn't mind the elemental stuff since it kind of reminded me of Chrono Cross, but I don't like systems which encourage Free Run, I guess).

The RM2 arrangements are great :D

Some Graces tracks I really liked/enjoyed/LOVED:

Anyone knows if Aoyama did any of those? Because if he didn't, I will blame him for most of the forgettable tracks and the catacombs "song" :p
A reply by Datschge would be nice :D
Go Shiina did most of those themes I linked, btw. They're pretty awesome.

Datschge would know this better than I would, but you can probably tell that Sakuraba did the battle themes, and the bulk of the area/dungeon themes after Chapter 6 are done by him too since it's in the vein of some of his melodic progression and genres he seems to like to use.

The ones that sound not as great and not as diverse are more than likely done by Tamura or whatever he prefers to call himself these days. It's more a case of being able to tell who did what since after a lot of Tales games, it's kind of obvious by now.

So I'm playing on chaos and I was wondering what books are generally recommended to keep in the mixer?
Depends on what you want to do, exactly.

If you want to level up, keep the books that halve the stats and increase XP in the mixer. If you want more Gald, keep the books that increase Gald at the end of the battle in the Mixer.

What I usually do, and I guess scy does something similar, is that I put these into the mixer:
Book of Satiation - cook two food items during battle
Book of Swiftness - this doesn't really help much, but I like moving faster so I keep it in there out of habit
Book of Potential - increases Mixer development when you cook
Miso Stew - When eleth > 50%
Crab Fried Rice - activates when battle > 10 seconds
Suspicious Powder/Red Herb - for mixer development
Some item that has a high likelihood of production like a Gel or something to keep the mixer producing items.
Book of Fortune - increases chances of producing items
Book of Acquisition - more shards? more shards.

Those arbitrary limits on the amount of shards you can carry are so stupid...

speaking of Xenoblade, I'm not sure what you didn't like about the battle system, Schala, but I LOVED it. Maybe it's because I did switch characters often (I only played as Shulk for about half the game), but I really love Xenoblade's battle system, a lot more than Graces even (actually, relative to other RPGs I've played recently, I don't really like the battle system in Graces much)
I think it might have been the combination of repetitive nature of the combat (circle the enemy using attacks that exploit their side weaknesses), I don't really like auto-attacking during battle since there are times you don't want to attack so you don't set off counters, the balancing, AI being a little stupid now and then (ie: they should be more efficient, but they're not; it's better to use them manually than letting them do whatever they want), the unfortunate nature of Monado skills being added yet not being forced to use them in regular battles (though this isn't exclusive to Xenoblade; I really do wish more games would adequately support their systems as opposed to saying, "here, use whatever you want, but you can totally brute force your way through the battle without using any of these ultra-cool skills"), and the fact that nearly everything gives you XP so you might find yourself overlevelled when you don't really want to be. I might have to play it a little bit for an hour again to narrow down just what it is that I didn't like about it. Switching characters every now and then (for example using Reyn Time or Melia manually) seemed to alleviate some of the issues somewhat, but sometimes it still felt a bit repetitive or iffy and I didn't like it as much as I wanted to.

Don't get me wrong though--despite my criticisms of the battle system, I still like the game because the rest of it felt very diverse, and it has wonderful presentation. And I still had fun with battles every now and then despite not liking it as much as I wanted to (from what I'd read prior to playing on JP review sites, I thought it was going to be absolutely amazing, but it fell short of my expectations).

Of course, this might come down to taste. For example, I'm not much of a fan of CSB (the FFXIII games' combat system), and I only seem to like it when the bosses are more difficult (so essentially post-game content and the Chapter 9 and 11 boss battles), yet a lot of people seem to love it. I like Dresspheres/ATB Kai a lot more, which people don't seem to like as much. :lol

Edgeward

Oh man, I just realized how good dualizing and tempering is. Not only for making good gems but just for making money. I really wish I knew that 30 hours ago. v_v

I'm heading to the research lab of
Pascal's sister
. How much left do I have of the base game? And how long is future arc?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh man, I just realized how good dualizing and tempering is. Not only for making good gems but just for making money. I really wish I knew that 30 hours ago. v_v

I'm heading to the research lab of
Pascal's sister
. How much left do I have of the base game? And how long is future arc?
You're in Chapter 5 out of
eight chapters in the main game
. If you're going to do all the subquests before the end of the main game, it'll take you longer, but if you're going to do the subquests after you finish future arc/during postgame, it might not seem as long. Future Arc is about 5-8 hours if you rush through it. I've been in Future Arc for about 8 hours now since I'm trying to farm stuff for Narikiri titles and a character's titles for the trophy.

Sagitario

Heh. Those all sound typical Sakuraba.
Even the Irish inspired ones? :D
People say this is one of Sakuraba's weakest works, but I still like it. There are some gems in there, like the ones I linked. I will blame the awful tunes to the other composer.

I'm feeling alright today. I kinda hope I feel better on Monday since I have to go into the lab. :x Thanks for asking, though. :)

Good :). And Go Shiina <3<3<3<3

-----------------------------------------------------

YAY, level 8 on Telos Astue. Now to buy some Miso to cook Miso Stew. Hopefully I will be able to temper and sell weapons [faster] now :D

Is there any particular spot you guys recommend to do it? The hard part would be getting the shards with the right qualities, I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good :). And Go Shiina <3<3<3<3

-----------------------------------------------------

YAY, level 8 on Telos Astue. Now to buy some Miso to cook Miso Stew. Hopefully I will be able to temper and sell weapons [faster] now :D

Is there any particular spot you guys recommend to do it? The hard part would be getting the shards with the right qualities, I guess.
Well, if you're in Chapter 7, there's only one place you can go at the moment, and that's outside of that town, especially in
Region 66 (Haughty), Humanoid Research Centre (Formal, Haughty, Sketchy), Bathus Citadel (Gallant, Epochal), etc

Later on, I found that the Sandshroud Ruins had some nice stuff like Magical, Dazzling, Haughty, etc. And the first dungeon after leaving (chapter 7 spoilers for people who aren't there yet)
Fodra
has Haughty and Fabulous shards.

Sheet 1 of this Excel spreadsheet done by cpp_is_king has the qualities all listed per region for easy reading. Lots of the stuff was taken from the Japanese Wiki.

All those songs are horrible, sorry.
:lol

You might like Xillia's soundtrack a little more, then, since there's more genre variation on that soundtrack.

I'm trying to replay ToV again. I can't.
I popped Vesperia into my PS3 after beating Graces for the first time and wondered why I couldn't around-step despite pressing the buttons over and over. It was weird.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've only liked Sakuraba's work in like two games (the VP games, and 1 more than 2). It's so interesting seeing his played out ass up against Kohei Tanaka in RoF.

Top Bottom