• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I personally liked the Abel, Cheria, Sophie, and Richard in the first video. Mind you, Sophie sounds virtually the same. Rofl.

In the second one I liked Malik, Hubert (it's how I envisioned him originally but official Hubert is good too), Richard, Pascal (Really good). I could not stand Cheria in this video. Ugh.

Also ARF is one of my favorite RPGs this generation.

barrin87

Well I went to the ruins past the sand stretch and it's much better to grind since I am getting over 10,000 experience on some battles. It sucked because I lost 20 minutes worth of grinding again though because I was fighting one of the enemies that blows up there and I couldn't get away fast enough. It freaking killed my entire party in one hit!

scy

Well I went to the ruins past the sand stretch and it's much better to grind since I am getting over 10,000 experience on some battles. It sucked because I lost 20 minutes worth of grinding again though because I was fighting one of the enemies that blows up there and I couldn't get away fast enough. It freaking killed my entire party in one hit!

Asbel dies to that every goddamn time.

Every time.

...I control Asbel T.T

barrin87

Asbel dies to that every goddamn time.

Every time.

...I control Asbel T.T

Ha ha, this happens to me as well! The attack is like instant death. I have tried using long range attacks against those to prevent getting killed but on that battle everyone had to rush the enemy right when he had no health. Me being the idiot that I am, I rushed in with the rest of the fools to get blown up.

Paches

My RPG brain is trained to see sirens as a spell that is calling more enemies in. Too bad in this game it is an animation that if you are near by you will be one shot :(

barrin87

My RPG brain is trained to see sirens as a spell that is calling more enemies in. Too bad in this game it is an animation that if you are near by you will be one shot :(

For that specific enemy it's both sometimes! About half the time they explode they will summon a different monster to take it's place.

scy

Only that one enemy actually blows up with it. The predecessors use it as just a reinforcements call :x

I like it since it's basically free EXP and it gives me another target to beat on for combos (though, I finally got everyone's 100+ Hit combos so I guess it doesn't matter anymore for that).

barrin87

Only that one enemy actually blows up with it. The predecessors use it as just a reinforcements call :x

I like it since it's basically free EXP and it gives me another target to beat on for combos (though, I finally got everyone's 100+ Hit combos so I guess it doesn't matter anymore for that).

Wow, how do you manage a 100 hit combo? The max I have been able to get so far was 66 and I don't even know how I got that.

Big B

Wow, got the 2x and 5x damage from the grade shop and I'm running through the story like mad! Beat the bosses in under 60s? How about under 10 seconds lol

Wow, how do you manage a 100 hit combo? The max I have been able to get so far was 66 and I don't even know how I got that.
Play on higher difficulties, equip less power weapons, attack using the opposite of the enemy's weakness if they have one (meaning A or B Artes), assign shortcuts to high hitting skills for CPU characters and make sure to trigger them when your controlled character needs to recharge CC, etc.

kayos90

Oh i forgot to say this a long time ago but for those of you using Mystic Artes/BCs, there's a way to get the most out of it. Characters like Asbel and Hubert have melee based attacks to activate their BC. BCs will always go after the enemy you have the cursor on but if there are any enemy right next to you, they'll get caught in the blast. Say if you're Hubert and you're attacking someone right next to you. Right before you activate your BC, switch targets and they'll get caught in the blast and most likely will take full damage. For Hubert it's particularly useful. Asbel's is really good for this as well.

Oh i forgot to say this a long time ago but for those of you using Mystic Artes/BCs, there's a way to get the most out of it. Characters like Asbel and Hubert have melee based attacks to activate their BC. BCs will always go after the enemy you have the cursor on but if there are any enemy right next to you, they'll get caught in the blast. Say if you're Hubert and you're attacking someone right next to you. Right before you activate your BC, switch targets and they'll get caught in the blast and most likely will take full damage. For Hubert it's particularly useful. Asbel's is really good for this as well.

oh... didn't know that happens for asbel as well. Always thought that was a solo move.

scy

Hooray, 9999 Mixer.

I should really beat the main game.

Well, even on Chaos I find the hardest part is getting enemies to last long enough. Book of Enthusiasm's half stats helps a lot with that. Besides that, having a good amount of CC helps (15+ on all my characters for a minimum).

The biggest tip I can give is to disable Artes that are just bad. For instance, I leave just Hubert's neutral 4CC (Falling Star) as the rest aren't as good for hit count really; for Cheria, Divine Saber is an amazing ~30 hits on it's own so I just leave that B-Arte of hers on and set her AI to A-Arte Heavy to speed up casting it.

The other big thing is to use your Mystic Artes off of combo count. For instance, Mastery God on Hubert gets you his Level 3 Mystic Arte when you hit L1 during a 75+ Hit combo outside of Eleth Burst. Expiation itself hits for 30+ hits on it's own so you basically just need to get to 75 Hits, trigger his MA, and then instant-100+ hit combo. Cheria is the same with her Level 3 Mystic Arte (and from the same Title, I believe).

Pascal was the roughest since she her Mystic Artes don't hit that often. I just kind of winged it for her :/

Neki

too much work

and not enough have some of this, and this

EXPIATION!

None of the girls have the bust for it.

Pascal is close enough to pull that off.

Also, Colette sucks.

*sets machine gun to full-auto

The door's that way, all of you Colette haters can see yourselves out. >_>

I really like the Natalia outfit on Cheria, although the pink hair clashes a bit with the color of Nat's outfit. I hate Anise and everything she stands for so they insulted Sophie by giving her that outfit. Hubert as Flynn looks as boss as I expected.

Finally finished the Future arc, and by contrast, I've beaten the game ;-; I still have side quest stuff to dabble in such as the arena and
Rockgagong
but it's sad that I've beaten the story, really not looking forward to another 2-3 year wait for another Tales. Hopefully Xillia really does get localized and localized in a year or two.

Trying to decide how to go forward, I have enough grade to get every transfer bonus I want so I could go right into a NG+, but I never finished getting all the narikiri dolls and I kind of want to get the book of striking before I start my next run.

Ties

Banned
Can someone tell me how to get some
rockgagong fur. Do I summon or fight an how do I get some?
If you leveled the correct titles and everything, some of your Artes should have a Steal property.

Simply summon the
Rockgagong
up and fight him until you steal the item that you need. Then you should probably run the hell away after that. :3

Aspiring

If you leveled the correct titles and everything, some of your Artes should have a Steal property.

Simply summon the
Rockgagong
up and fight him until you steal the item that you need. Then you should probably run the hell away after that. :3

Didn't think of that. Thanks so much will do next time I play! Much appreciated! Just gonna be hard seeing as one hit your gone lol!!!

demonkaze

So I've just reached the arena for the first time and I'm playing on chaos. I'm currently around Lv 40 and was wondering if it's possible to clear it at this point or if I should come back later (if so, what's a good time to do this). Also is there any worthwhile items to get while I'm here?

kewlmyc

Pascal is busty? Since when?

Also, as long as we are talking about annoying Tales characters, I am really not liking Estelle. I am watching a playthrough of Vesperia since I refuse to buy a 360 for one game, and she's so damn wishy-washy. She goes back and forth with her choices, believes, and goals. It's irritating as hell. Also, I find it funny how hypocritical Yuri is and Rita's tsundere act gets old fast. Raven's awesome though.

barrin87

Simply summon the
Rockgagong

Wait, you can actually run from battles? How do you even do that!

I am at the final dungeon in the main story right now. I was thinking about grinding a little, beat the main game, play through the future arc, go back to the main game and grind some more, fight all the extra bosses, then try the final boss again on Chaos. Then on my second playthrough I will get all the 60 second boss trophies. Would that work or should I do all that in a different order?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

*sets machine gun to full-auto

The door's that way, all of you Colette haters can see yourselves out. >_>

I really like the Natalia outfit on Cheria, although the pink hair clashes a bit with the color of Nat's outfit. I hate Anise and everything she stands for so they insulted Sophie by giving her that outfit. Hubert as Flynn looks as boss as I expected.

But but I love Colette :(

I finally decided to do Future Arc due to two trophies so I want to get one of trophy out of my way, but I have huge issues with the game. I am still on evil mode and those monsters are still nothing to me. I want more exp so do anyone know how to get better exp in future arc since Zhonecage got blocked out.

Animekatt

I fought and won against the
Rockagong
the other day. Man was that fight annoying. Everyone was level 83, and standing all the way in the back casting their B-artes. I was controlling Asbel, meleeing the thing. It took me about 10 tries, since I would either lose Asbel because he got eaten, and running away, or losing to the timer. On my last try, I won with 2 minutes left on the clock. I also fought it during the future arc on my first run. I was feeling brave.

I had Asbel,
Richard
, Cheria and Malik in my party.

Sagitario

I didn't work yesterday so I spent most of the day sleeping and playing Graces (and the plan for today is the same :D) for hours. It had been a while since I was able to do that (my gaming time is usually very limited).

[chapter 5]
Well,
Kurt
was an ass :p, I had to fight him on Hard.

Anyone knows how do you get the last 4CC A-arte for Asbel?

The game stopped giving me titles :( , I already mastered most of them and the rest of the party mastered all of theirs.

This game is now just making fun of me for my lack of gald. Spend a total of 3 mil to get a set of new titles for everyone!

Sigh, makes me wish I could have accessory glitch here.

Somebody please tell me, where the hell do I activate the
Cheria vs Pascal
skit in the future arc?
Ugh, can't find this info anywhere on the internet...

Pascal is busty? Since when?

Since always, her and Cheria are both rather filled out if you actually look at their artwork. In Pascal's case it's even more clear when you see her in that ridiculous cowgirl outfit. Note that I didn't say she's built exactly like Sheena, just that she could pull off the outfit (and so could Cheria if they wanted her too), especially because Sheena uses the bra to create the extra "pushup effect" unlike say, Judy who was just built that way.

But but I love Colette :(

Then you sir are welcome here.

Sagitario

YAY chapter 6!
I want my flying ship now!

The overall story of Graces isn't bad, but the execution is so poor.

I am really disappointed by the animated scenes: the picture quality is OK, but the animation and overall drawing... well, they leave a lot to be desired.
I don't remember Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss and Vesperia being this bad (well, maybe Abyss, the rest went from decent to good).
Legendia had really good animated scenes
"STEEEEEEEEEEEELLA!"
:'( <--- I think that was one of my favorites scenes ever. Then Norma, Will and Chloe's endings... and Grune. Dammit, feel like replaying it :p

How is Ufotable with Xillia?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Been sick for the past few days and I think I have a fever now, but I missed GAF, so I wanted to pop in for a little bit.

Hooray, 9999 Mixer.

I should really beat the main game.
Congrats! I just beat the main game a few hours ago at Lv 95 (Eleth at 738-something). I just did the trophies for Beat on Moderate and Hard because skipping ton of cutscenes to get back to the title screen for the trophy isn't fun. And the battles go faster after Future Arc anyway.

I saved the 60 seconds trophy for the main boss for after I get Accel Mode with makes things a ton easier, so I'll do that after Future Arc. Just if you're doing the same thing I'm doing, don't beat the Zone Cage before you attempt the 60 seconds trophy because
the final boss changes after clearing the Zone Cage

Since always, her and Cheria are both rather filled out if you actually look at their artwork. In Pascal's case it's even more clear when you see her in that ridiculous cowgirl outfit. Note that I didn't say she's built exactly like Sheena, just that she could pull off the outfit (and so could Cheria if they wanted her too), especially because Sheena uses the bra to create the extra "pushup effect" unlike say, Judy who was just built that way.
Ah... You've thought a lot about this...

I am really disappointed by the animated scenes: the picture quality is OK, but the animation and overall drawing... well, they leave a lot to be desired.

How is Ufotable with Xillia?
Really really good. Seriously. Really good. I love ufotable. They did the Symphonia OVA too, if you're interested. And ack, I have two more episodes of Fate/Zero to catch up on before I see the new episode!

And yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said Graces' animated cutscenes were rather inconsistent.

Wait, you can actually run from battles? How do you even do that!

I am at the final dungeon in the main story right now. I was thinking about grinding a little, beat the main game, play through the future arc, go back to the main game and grind some more, fight all the extra bosses, then try the final boss again on Chaos. Then on my second playthrough I will get all the 60 second boss trophies. Would that work or should I do all that in a different order?
Run at the edge of the battlefield and keep running until the meter completely fills up.

And your plan is good. Doing Future Arc first makes a lot of the postgame content easier since you have access to Accel Mode. The NG+ bonuses will make the 60 seconds trophies much easier.

Somebody please tell me, where the hell do I activate the
Cheria vs Pascal
skit in the future arc?
Ugh, can't find this info anywhere on the internet...

You have to go to Pascal's house and there should be a star there or something that triggers a cutscene that gives you Pascal's third mystic arte. The skit should be there.

Ah... You've thought a lot about this...

Not really. It's just a combination of being an artist so I look at character art a lot more objectively, and years of living with a lot of female friends and family insisting on the illusion a good bra can create. All I'm saying is Sheena's figure isn't quite as voluptuous as people think it is, she's only slightly above the JRPG idealized standard in that respect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got all title trophies and beat final boss in less than 60 seconds trophy. Yay~

By the way, I heavily recommend setting
3 Hubert Narakiris + Hubert as a party if you want to do high combos and perform speedruns.

scy

Damn! It seems that haughty shards are available really late in the game :(
I am currently in chapter 5

Well, you don't really need Haughty Shards if you're looking to make money. What are you trying to dualize for profit?

At least, I assume this is for profit :x

Any pro-tips? :p I'm only at 3011.

My grinding setup:

1) Book of Potential - Increases EXP earned from Food cooked.
2) Book of Satiation - Allows you to cook two food items in-battle.
3) Crab Fried Rice (/Grape Parfait later as I wanted the better Shards) - Activates In-Battle after 10 seconds.
4) Borscht - Activates In-Battle after landing a 30+ Hit Combo. It increases EXP gained so it's nice; there's better Mixer EXP options with some of the >20s Foods like Fried Manju though.
5) Miso Stew - Activates Post-Battle if Mixer Energy >50%

Optional:
Book of Growth - Gives EXP towards Mixer Energy just by setting it.
Book of Enthusiasm - Halves your stats but doubles EXP gain. Nice to have to allow for bigger combos for Borscht and Grape Parfait. Plus, might as well level faster while grinding, right? Stacks with Borscht!

And then just find a spot to grind a bit. The middle thousands aren't so bad since you'll get something like 10-15 Energy a fight with the proper setup. It's just a case of figuring out what food to use and then making sure to always utilize it.

Alternatively, just set food like Crab Fried Rice and Miso Stew (or Rice Omelette early game) and then just progress through the game normally and save doing the above for when you want to sit down and grind enemies for a bit.

If you're curious as to how it works:

0401 - 2000 Energy: 10 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy
2001 - 9000 Energy: 20 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy
9001 - 9999 Energy: 50 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy

EXP from food isn't directly correlated to the Energy it costs to make them, unfortunately. Crab Fried Rice (38 EXP) and Miso Soup (94 EXP) are pretty much the best options for EXP per Energy spent. Off-hand, I don't know what Borscht is for Mixer EXP :/ Fried Manju is 79 EXP, though, so it's a really good option for a second in-battle food if you have >20s long fights often. I just used Borscht since, meh, slightly slower Mixer growth is worth the EXP bonus.

Been sick for the past few days and I think I have a fever now, but I missed GAF, so I wanted to pop in for a little bit.

Aww, sorry to hear. Hope you feel better soon.

Congrats! I just beat the main game a few hours ago at Lv 95 (Eleth at 738-something).

95? Dang, I thought I was a bit overleveled pushing 90 (maybe) for when I finish the final dungeon :x

Sagitario

Really really good. Seriously. Really good. I love ufotable. They did the Symphonia OVA too, if you're interested. And ack, I have two more episodes of Fate/Zero to catch up on before I see the new episode!

And yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said Graces' animated cutscenes were rather inconsistent.

Good to hear. Is the ToS anime good? Kinda want to watch :D
I hope you get better soon :)

Well, you don't really need Haughty Shards if you're looking to make money. What are you trying to dualize for profit?

At least, I assume this is for profit :x

Yes, for profit. Got the Turtlez level 7 stampt and bought a Rare Sword.
I am trying to do this:
Wicked (Base Quality) + Rigid Shard -> Rigid Quality
Rigid + Rigid or Grand Shard -> Solemn Quality
Solemn + Barbed or Stuffy Shard -> Haughty Quality*
Haughty + Haughty Shard -> Poignant (OR + Sketchy Shard -> Perilous
Just need that one final haughty shard to see if it worked for profit :D
*I know there is another path for Magical

My grinding setup:

1) Book of Potential - Increases EXP earned from Food cooked.
2) Book of Satiation - Allows you to cook two food items in-battle.
3) Crab Fried Rice (/Grape Parfait later as I wanted the better Shards) - Activates In-Battle after 10 seconds.
4) Borscht - Activates In-Battle after landing a 30+ Hit Combo. It increases EXP gained so it's nice; there's better Mixer EXP options with some of the >20s Foods like Fried Manju though.
5) Miso Stew - Activates Post-Battle if Mixer Energy >50%

Optional:
Book of Growth - Gives EXP towards Mixer Energy just by setting it.
Book of Enthusiasm - Halves your stats but doubles EXP gain. Nice to have to allow for bigger combos for Borscht and Grape Parfait. Plus, might as well level faster while grinding, right? Stacks with Borscht!

And then just find a spot to grind a bit. The middle thousands aren't so bad since you'll get something like 10-15 Energy a fight with the proper setup. It's just a case of figuring out what food to use and then making sure to always utilize it.

Alternatively, just set food like Crab Fried Rice and Miso Stew (or Rice Omelette early game) and then just progress through the game normally and save doing the above for when you want to sit down and grind enemies for a bit.

If you're curious as to how it works:

0401 - 2000 Energy: 10 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy
2001 - 9000 Energy: 20 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy
9001 - 9999 Energy: 50 EXP per +1 Mixer Energy

EXP from food isn't directly correlated to the Energy it costs to make them, unfortunately. Crab Fried Rice (38 EXP) and Miso Soup (94 EXP) are pretty much the best options for EXP per Energy spent. Off-hand, I don't know what Borscht is for Mixer EXP :/ Fried Manju is 79 EXP, though, so it's a really good option for a second in-battle food if you have >20s long fights often. I just used Borscht since, meh, slightly slower Mixer growth is worth the EXP bonus.

*takes notes*
If only I had a 2 more slots (currently at 8 :p)

Chatin

The story in this game was pretty snoreworthy. Even Legendia had an awesome revelation or two. ToGf has been pretty fun to play through, though. I think I'll enjoy the NG+ while skipping all the story scenes.

kayos90

Good to hear. Is the ToS anime good? Kinda want to watch :D
I hope you get better soon :)

Not really. For an anime it's not very good. Bad pacing and it tries to cram the entire symphonia story line into a couple of hours. Having said that, it's good if you've played teh game.

Top Bottom