• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

I don't mind Sakuraba but it seems quite a few of his latest stuff has been pretty homogeneous (not counting Dark Souls).

I seem to remember reading that he was asked not to stray from typical Tales style too much for Xillia. I could be remembering wrong though.

I would like to see Go Shiina compose another Tales game OST though.

Eleth Mod titles... damn... that's a lot of gald.

I just got Asbel's Battle-Master Sovereign title... I've been using him way too much haven't I? lol. Idk, Asbel is the only character I find fun to play as

Aurora Lotus is pretty awesome

Sagitario

Wut? Level 90 for the final boss?
My party is only level ~60 D:

Well, if you're in Chapter 7, there's only one place you can go at the moment, and that's outside of that town, especially in
Region 66 (Haughty), Humanoid Research Centre (Formal, Haughty, Sketchy), Bathus Citadel (Gallant, Epochal), etc

Later on, I found that the Sandshroud Ruins had some nice stuff like Magical, Dazzling, Haughty, etc. And the first dungeon after leaving (chapter 7 spoilers for people who aren't there yet)
Fodra
has Haughty and Fabulous shards.

Sheet 1 of this Excel spreadsheet done by cpp_is_king has the qualities all listed per region for easy reading. Lots of the stuff was taken from the Japanese Wiki..

Thanks!

Y2Kev, what composers or game soundtracks do you like? Any particular tunes?

My party was around 70 when I first fought the final boss. Couldn't do it on Chaos then... I think I turned it down to Moderate actually lol. My party was only around 90 once I was done future arc, THEN the final boss on Chaos was actually pretty easy

branny

Just finished the Sandshroud Ruins. Easily my favorite dungeon in the game so far. I especially loved that huge last color puzzle. Makes me sad there were so few puzzles in the other dungeons.
Well, if it makes you feel better, you will take back what you just said once you get to all the dungeons with horribly obnoxious puzzles later on, haha.

god damnit future arc final dungeon, I've been playing it for two session this weekend hoping to finish the game and the dungeon just keep on going and going and going. when will it end!!!

now I suspect there's another lengthy part of the dungeon I haven't through yet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How are you level 101?! My party is all 93-ish after future arc, and I had no problem beating the final boss on Chaos then. Of course, Accel mode helps a lot there. I also equipped damage reduction titles on everyone, like Scy said. I had Asbel, Sophie, Cheria, and Pascal, I put everyone on Aggressive and A heavy except Cheria so she could heal sometimes. Final boss was mostly locked in a combo except when he got enemy eleth burst (which actually happens kind of a lot). He gets crazy when he has low health, I actually died a couple times just because of that

I'm actually level 111 now. Zhonecage, especially the latter floors, gives a lot of exp even on easy.

I'm nearing the plat though. Just the speedrun trophies and the 9999 eleth pot.

I'm actually level 111 now. Zhonecage, especially the latter floors, gives a lot of exp even on easy.

I'm nearing the plat though. Just the speedrun trophies and the 9999 eleth pot.

I have all of that to do plus all the sidequest trophies remaining as well, working on those. Oh, and Hubert's 100 titles trophy. Damn Hubert...

scy

What I usually do, and I guess scy does something similar, is that I put these into the mixer:
Book of Satiation - cook two food items during battle
Book of Swiftness - this doesn't really help much, but I like moving faster so I keep it in there out of habit
Book of Potential - increases Mixer development when you cook
Miso Stew - When eleth > 50%
Crab Fried Rice - activates when battle > 10 seconds
Suspicious Powder/Red Herb - for mixer development
Some item that has a high likelihood of production like a Gel or something to keep the mixer producing items.
Book of Fortune - increases chances of producing items
Book of Acquisition - more shards? more shards.

Basically. I use Drop Bottle/Arcane Bottle for my development grinding (240 Eleth @ 5% vs 1097 Eleth @ 1%). Like it matters though. I wanted the Drop Bottles for material farming in future arc but they drop like candy even at 1-8% drop rates and provide good EXP (25-30k EXP with just Rice Omelette in the Mixer). Good grinding, I guess.

Speaking of, I blanked out while grinding and died. Oh well, just a quick relo---oh, I didn't save for 6 hours.

wut.

Neki

Future Arc, near the end, fighting the
Little Queens
with the constant paralysis was so annoying, I must have used 10 Syrup Bottles, loool.

All those songs are horrible, sorry.

I can't believe how fucking shitty the port music is in this game, it's honestly kind of even worse than the three-note dungeon music.

I've only liked Sakuraba's work in like two games (the VP games, and 1 more than 2).

Baten Kaitos is good too! You can tell because after it came out, Sakuraba phased out some of the Phantasia and Valkyrie Profile songs he was self-plagiarizing with every new Tales game and phased in some BK stuff.

Future Arc, near the end, fighting the
Little Queens
with the constant paralysis was so annoying, I must have used 10 Syrup Bottles, loool.

I'm assuming you didn't
get the yellow liquid on base 5 and return the eleth in that area to normal first?
. You're not supposed to have constant paralysis in that fight =P

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sakuraba's Star Ocean 2 OST is pretty amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hey! I actually like the port music in Fendel.

But NOTHING tops that 3 note dungeon theme. My ears still haven't fully recovered.

Just finished wallbridge last night. Nice to be playing a team destiny game again. I think one of the best parts about their games is the non stop feedback you get from combat. There are new sub objectives popping up every fight, you're always leveling up something, acquiring some new skill. It really makes you go "just one more battle" and never really gets stale.

Guys I just finished the cocoon dungeon and I just want to ask, do the characters get better or worse? The whole scene with Asbel in the ship right after the dungeon made me want to punch him. <_<;;

barrin87

Well I just beat the main storyline last night! I was at level 72 and I just tried beating the final boss on Moderate which wasn't that bad at all. I started the Lines and Lineages arc right after which I am not even an hour into so far.

I really need to figure out how to start unlocking titles easier. I just got the 100 titles trophy for Asbel yesterday but I am not even close for some of my other characters. I have every title mastered except for one on Hubert.

I am still worried about my Eleth Mixer though, I am still only at 2,400.

Bladenic

82% on trophies now! Very close to being done with the Inn Requests, though some of the final weapon requests I don't have or know how to make, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to farm crystals in the bonus dungeon. I might also try to get everyone's ultimate weapons, I only have Malik's.

And anyone know where to get Rare Gauntlets? I swear for the life of me I can't remember where I got the rare equipment.

The fight against
Rockgagong
was so annoying. I only did it on Normal and while it wasn't that hard, he managed to eat 2 of my characters. I still finished him off luckily with 4 minutes to spare but I would have done it much earlier. Stupid eating move.

The cameo battle was also super fun as usual. I also found the voices to fit very well except Veigue of course.

Paracelsus

Hey! I actually like the port music in Fendel.

But NOTHING tops that 3 note dungeon theme. My ears still haven't fully recovered.

You mean the dungeon inside the spoilerbeastnamespoiler?

Yeah, glad my shitty wireless headphones have the turn off switch at least.

barrin87

Yes
The secret boss fight against the gentlemen is unlocked by completing them all, and you have to beat him to get a trophy

Thanks! I thought that's what that trophy was for but I wasn't sure if you had to complete all of the requests to complete it. Most of the ones I still have to do are ones that I need to find special items for or need to dualize. I need to figure out how to get a couple pieces of equipment for them as well that I have never seen in the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well I just beat the main storyline last night! I was at level 72 and I just tried beating the final boss on Moderate which wasn't that bad at all. I started the Lines and Lineages arc right after which I am not even an hour into so far.

I really need to figure out how to start unlocking titles easier. I just got the 100 titles trophy for Asbel yesterday but I am not even close for some of my other characters. I have every title mastered except for one on Hubert.

I am still worried about my Eleth Mixer though, I am still only at 2,400.

I suggest you to farm a lot at second dungeon from last dungeon when you get there. You need to farm a lot of items to get 6 titles each characters, and it's perfect at same time because you could try to grind for arte titles. Just go with flow until you reach to a dungeon before final dungeon.

Edited: I realized that other two dungeons offered few items, so I guess you might have to farm there too.

barrin87

I suggest you to farm a lot at second dungeon from last dungeon when you get there. You need to farm a lot of items to get 6 titles each characters, and it's perfect at same time because you could try to grind for arte titles. Just go with flow until you reach to a dungeon before final dungeon.

Edited: I realized that other two dungeons offered few items, so I guess you might have to farm there too.

Are those specific items that you need to grind for each character so the dungeons just have all the specific items in them? I haven't received any titles like that yet but I have a couple titles for eating a certain amount of food items.

ULTROS!

65-70 is okay.

You can get the under 1 minute trophy when you reach level 95.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are those specific items that you need to grind for each character so the dungeons just have all the specific items in them? I haven't received any titles like that yet but I have a couple titles for eating a certain amount of food items.

Here is spoilers but not big deal tho

You have to farm those monsters in order to get the items that would allow you to customized the dolls (Yes, you will make dolls of your party members) in order to get titles for your characters. The title would allow you to become other member in the party. For example, two hubert in the party. So it meant 6 character dolls each character in your party. Good way to build up titles imo.

IF you want to read more. Here is a link. Beware, they will have dungeon names if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://mass-destruction.tumblr.com/post/20389548206/tales-of-graces-f-narikiri-title-guide

barrin87

Here is spoilers but not big deal tho

You have to farm those monsters in order to get the items that would allow you to customized the dolls (Yes, you will make dolls of your party members) in order to get titles for your characters. The title would allow you to become other member in the party. For example, two hubert in the party. So it meant 6 character dolls each character in your party. Good way to build up titles imo.

IF you want to read more. Here is a link. Beware, they will have dungeon names if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://mass-destruction.tumblr.com/post/20389548206/tales-of-graces-f-narikiri-title-guide

Ah, thanks for the information! I remember seeing posts about dolls in this thread but I didn't look at them too closely since I wasn't at the point in the game yet.

scy

The drop rates on them are set pretty low (4%, 8% typically) but some +Material drop food (Potato Salad triggers on 30+ Hit combos), Book of Gathering, and the +Item Drop Titles can make it basically average a drop a fight, if not better. Plus, they all give good EXP so just toss on Rice Omelette and get some levels out of it. Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about actually getting the components.

As far as other Titles, they'll generally come from your Arte usage ones. Get the Book of Striking (Turtlez Stamp Level 9) and get to grinding forever. It demolishes your Mixer Energy though so you'll need to grind basically right next to some way of recharging the Mixer.

barrin87

The drop rates on them are set pretty low (4%, 8% typically) but some +Material drop food (Potato Salad triggers on 30+ Hit combos), Book of Gathering, and the +Item Drop Titles can make it basically average a drop a fight, if not better. Plus, they all give good EXP so just toss on Rice Omelette and get some levels out of it. Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about actually getting the components.

As far as other Titles, they'll generally come from your Arte usage ones. Get the Book of Striking (Turtlez Stamp Level 9) and get to grinding forever. It demolishes your Mixer Energy though so you'll need to grind basically right next to some way of recharging the Mixer.

Cool, I will have to try getting to that point for the Turtlez stamps. I think I am only at level 7 currently.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

actually, Level 10. I just got it last night.

One per Field Region and basically one per shop. Then the future arc seems to give you one every other chest you open :/

Yeah, I found it odd that they would go with different method but I'm glad. Also I got 90th card last night. I am pleased that I managed to complete it before start a new game plus. I heard people had hard time to get one card, Cress. I just got lucky out and got it from the shiny point on first try without realizing that it was hardest card to get from random point.

It was easy to get rest of cards from store. I dualize everything and sold everything at expensive price before I made a new game plus since I can't transfer most of things over. (at same time, I got 3m gald title for hubert.)

scy

actually, Level 10. I just got it last night.

It's the reward for filling up Stamp Card #9 (e.g., getting Stamp Card 10). It's a little awkwardly presented.

It was easy to get rest of cards from store. I dualize everything and sold everything at expensive price before I made a new game plus since I can't transfer most of things over. (at same time, I got 3m gald title for hubert.)

Yeah, once you get a handle on how to make money from dualizing, it doesn't really take that much to max them all out. And then you have nothing to spend it on (barring the Eleth Mod titles) besides more dualizing. Such a vicious cycle.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's the reward for filling up Stamp Card #9 (e.g., getting Stamp Card 10). It's a little awkwardly presented.

Yeah, once you get a handle on how to make money from dualizing, it doesn't really take that much to max them all out. And then you have nothing to spend it on (barring the Eleth Mod titles) besides more dualizing. Such a vicious cycle.

oh damn... I forget to buy last two Eleth Mod titles. *cries*

LowParry

Just started playing this the other day. Pretty much all nighter the game cause it's THAT DAMN GOOD. Pascal is my favorite. I can't have her out of my party.

And the three note area. Who's bright idea was that? lol

ULTROS!

I just reached
Pascals hometown in the mountains
,how far am I to the end?

Probably 3/5 of the game. Not including the future arc.

So this game has a new game+ feature. Could anyone tell me if there is unlockable content in the new game+? New dungeons, bosses, items, etc?

I don't really like incineration wave that much... what's so good about it? It takes forever to wind up.

I like Plasma Shock for my up/down arte. Concussive Bolt on neutral, Infernal Torrent on right and Diabolic Rage on left. I often switch the B artes around to account for weaknesses

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Basically. I use Drop Bottle/Arcane Bottle for my development grinding (240 Eleth @ 5% vs 1097 Eleth @ 1%). Like it matters though. I wanted the Drop Bottles for material farming in future arc but they drop like candy even at 1-8% drop rates and provide good EXP (25-30k EXP with just Rice Omelette in the Mixer). Good grinding, I guess.

Speaking of, I blanked out while grinding and died. Oh well, just a quick relo---oh, I didn't save for 6 hours.

wut.
Drop Bottle, eh? That's actually a pretty smart idea. I might try that after my exams/marking weeks are finished (ie: this week and next week). I'm trying to get the plat before my birthday (so, the end of the month basically), so we'll see if it's entirely possible for me to do that. :lol

And that suuuuuuuuucks. Aw... six hours is a lot of stuff to catch up on. I had this game freeze on me once, actually (which never happened in the JP version so I thought it was kind of weird). It was as a battle was ending. Didn't save for an hour. Progress lost. Lots of progress, actually, since I got a bunch of titles for everyone, so I had to get them all back again. :/

No love for Sakuraba on Eternal Sonata? I thought it was fantabulous.
His Eternal Sonata soundtrack is one of my favourites. Love that soundtrack.

I don't really like incineration wave that much... what's so good about it? It takes forever to wind up.

I like Plasma Shock for my up/down arte. Concussive Bolt on neutral, Infernal Torrent on right and Diabolic Rage on left. I often switch the B artes around to account for weaknesses
Infernal Torrent and Incineration Wave.

But I like Plasma Shock too, and I use Aurora Lotus and Diabolic Rage depending on the situation. I like to spam Infernal Torrent a few times and then do Incineration Wave to end a combo. It works best against spellcasting enemies (since you can hit them from a distance) or larger enemies. It's easier to beat bosses with it. You can easily solo the final boss with just Infernal Torrent and Incineration Wave. Easily.

Diabolic Rage is good for juggling.
Concussive Bolt is good for crowd control.
Plasma Shock is good for aerial enemies and to stop enemies from countering you since you can extend the skill.
Gale Maw is great against the Future Arc final boss.

So this game has a new game+ feature. Could anyone tell me if there is unlockable content in the new game+? New dungeons, bosses, items, etc?
In general for Tales games, once you start a New Game Plus, you're taken to a 'grade shop' where you exchange grade (in Graces, it's earned by doing certain things like clearing the game, having a certain amount of titles, not using Life bottles or gels, etc; in some other Tales games, Grade is earned by how well you do in battle and it's accumulative) for certain bonuses to begin your NG+ playthrough with. Such bonuses are retaining your titles earned, retaining artes usage, getting damage multipliers (up to 10x damage), getting EXP multipliers which will either slow down or speed up your level growth, etc. NG+ is just supposed to be either easier or harder depending on what you pick in the Grade Shop.

In Graces, you get access new dungeons and new bosses by just playing your clear save (so select your clear save from the load menu and you'll be taken to the final save point before the final boss and then you'll unlock some postgame content like the EX dungeon Zone Cage or other bosses). You may also play the Future Arc with your clear save if you select it from the Extras menu on the title screen (this arc takes place 6 months since the game ends).

Guys I just finished the cocoon dungeon and I just want to ask, do the characters get better or worse? The whole scene with Asbel in the ship right after the dungeon made me want to punch him. <_<;;
If you're not liking them now, you might not like them in general.

scy

So what are y'all's go 2 artes for Asbel?

I'm currently loving his 'fire swing' move. Great for AoE.

I use his A-Artes most :x Quick Slash -> Nimble Fang / Stagger Strike -> Wolfwind Fang -> Void Sword if I don't need to hit certain weaknesses or something.

Incineration Wave, Infernal Torrent, Aurora Lotus, and Diabolic Rage is my Asbel loadout though. Wave is nice for the range, stagger, and I like the teleport on the second swing; windup is long but the actual attack part (and second one) are both pretty fast. Torrent is just good and Diabolic Rage similar-ish.

Aurora Lotus is there primarily for the massive amount of invulnerability you get from it and the "teleport to any enemy" bit of how it works. The damage and combo ability for it is whatever. I just use it to get across the field to hit an enemy harassing Cheria or something or to kill time during enemy bursts.

Drop Bottle, eh? That's actually a pretty smart idea. I might try that after my exams/marking weeks are finished (ie: this week and next week). I'm trying to get the plat before my birthday (so, the end of the month basically), so we'll see if it's entirely possible for me to do that. :lol

Yeah, I went through most the percentages and tried to figure out the most bang for your buck ones. Figured it and Arcane Bottle would be nice to have maxed anyway. These two, Hourglass, and All-Divide all seem to be the best Eleth Cost / % Chance rates. I liked the two bottles since 10% with Book of Fortune isn't all that rare really and 1440 Energy (Fortune, Duplication) is easily doable.

My goal is Platinum before ... Wednesday (Legend of Grimrock) but I have a feeling I won't manage that :( Hell, I might not be future by then.

And that suuuuuuuuucks. Aw... six hours is a lot of stuff to catch up on. I had this game freeze on me once, actually (which never happened in the JP version so I thought it was kind of weird). It was as a battle was ending. Didn't save for an hour. Progress lost. Lots of progress, actually, since I got a bunch of titles for everyone, so I had to get them all back again. :/

I have no idea how I did it, honestly. I basically saved at
Eleth Research Lab
, grinded for a bit to get Soul Orbs, finished the dungeon, got to the next dungeon and then went to Soul Orb/drop grind without saving.

For those who know the area, I went by _four_ save points, all of which with skits. That I saw. And never saved. Somehow.

So ... yeah, wut? Ugh, it was pretty bad and I just sat there staring at it in disbelief. Granted, I don't think it was actually six full hours of playing but still. Sheesh, what the hell was I doing lol.

Top Bottom