• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks scy!

By the way, how does the Eleth Burth length work? I can't seem to extend it to 16 seconds w/o the Book of Awakening.

Edit: More like how do you decrease the occurrence of Arles Breaks?

Sagitario

I just found a really cool bug ^__^

Push the stick to run at normal speed, press the circle button [around] ~3 times really fast (in succession, of course), so Asbel slows down and then he starts running immediately and so on, basically: run->walk->run->walk->run->walk->run.
After the weird Asbel animation when he changes speed/pace, stop pressing the circle button and Asbel will start running at FULL SPEED :D. The only tricky part is getting the timing right, it sometimes works at the first try and sometimes it takes several tries.

You no longer need the speed book or the maximum speed unlockable from the Grade Shop.

I discovered this when accessing and closing the map several times while running (just because I like the sound it plays when opening the map :p)

I wish I had found out about this sooner, but YAY! :D

Edit: it also works while using the Book of Swiftness so you can go even faster! And if you equip the book, run, access the menu, unequip the book and before quitting the menu you continue to press the stick, it will keep the speed effect of the book [Want to go faster? Just press circle once :D]

@kayos90, I guess I will watch it.

So in my quest to get more of those damn titles, does anyone know a good place to get infected with status effects? Some of my party has those -proof titles while others do not, so I wonder if there's a place where the monsters constantly spam them on you or something?

Ties

Banned
So in my quest to get more of those damn titles, does anyone know a good place to get infected with status effects? Some of my party has those -proof titles while others do not, so I wonder if there's a place where the monsters constantly spam them on you or something?
The final dungeon in F Arc.

Sagitario

This is weird, I can no longer replicate this:

Push the stick to run at normal speed, press the circle button [around] ~3 times really fast (in succession, of course), so Asbel slows down and then he starts running immediately and so on, basically: run->walk->run->walk->run->walk->run.
After the weird Asbel animation when he changes speed/pace, stop pressing the circle button and Asbel will start running at FULL SPEED :D. The only tricky part is getting the timing right, it sometimes works at the first try and sometimes it takes several tries.

I did it several times when traveling from Zavhert to Lhant, but I can't make it work anymore D:

But this works 100% of the time:
Edit: it also works while using the Book of Swiftness so you can go even faster! And if you equip the book, run, access the menu, unequip the book and before quitting the menu you continue to press the stick, it will keep the speed effect of the book [Want to go faster? Just press circle once :D]

Well, I just beat future arc. The final boss seemed nearly impossible on Chaos, so I turned it down to Hard and even then it was kinda hard.
Next up, Zhonecage and more yaaaaaaaay
140 hours so far and it's probably going to take 140 more...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sidequest funnies:
i like how fiery joe's brother has a humongous chick in his afro and his name is Kaz. lol lol lol

scy

Finally beat the main game. Man, only 2599 Grade? :| Then again, I'm really only missing the Inherit Skills option so I guess it's not that bad. Time for f arc though. Hooray...

Finally beat the main game. Man, only 2599 Grade? :| Then again, I'm really only missing the Inherit Skills option so I guess it's not that bad. Time for f arc though. Hooray...

There is no way you'll ever be able to afford Inherit Skills on the first run lol hence why it's worth it to master as many titles as you can before you start your NG+, mastery bonus and 2x/3x SP makes it so you'll regain all your skills really fast.

RetroMG

Not feeling the f arc. Haven't played more than 2 hours the last week and I've had ample opportunities to do so.

I'm so glad this isn't just me. I expected it to be a really radical departure from the feel of the main arc, and it kind of feels like more of the same. My wife started playing Disgaea 3 instead of finishing F arc, and I might go back and grind more stuff in main arc, or just New Game + and start over.

branny

I haven't really posted much in this thread despite playing Graces for basically a whole month now.

200 hours later, I think I'm ready to stop playing for a bit. I might do some crazy NG+ Chaos-only or weird solo challenge run for fun in the future, but, for now, I'm satisfied. Oddly enough for a Tales game, I don't feel like I want to revisit it immediately. I guess the scope of the game is big enough to be too exhausting for an immediate replay?

I don't know what else to say. This was the first PS3 game I bothered platinum-ing simply because a lot of the (sometimes weird and/or lazy) trophies were related to things I wanted to see or challenge myself with. Some stuff was a grind (eleth mixer...ugh...but grinding that is nothing when you've willingly spent weeks trying to get half an experience bar in an MMO before). I had a lot of fun trying to get the 60 second trophies in my first playthrough without the help of the grade shop or excessive grinding. Trying to flex the battle system by abusing certain animations, weaknesses, skill properties, hoarded items = super fun. I found Hard very enjoyable, playing on that 95% of the time, but naturally used other difficulties for various purposes like additional exp/sp or making certain bosses quicker after proving to myself that I could beat them regularly since some of them (like the bonus dungeon's) are huge damage sponges that just waste time. Characters seem decently balanced, though I'm pretty sure some are much stronger than others late in the game with more CC and after the future arc's Accel mode and
role-play
titles. Not everything battle system-related is perfect, though. There is a certain straightforwardness to it that doesn't quite allow for all the novelty "tricks" I love in other games with great battle systems. Outside of the instant cast glitch, there's not much else. Everything is functional and works great together, but that little extra oomph with various shenanigans feels missing. It's all so solid that you can't really break anything. It feels very...controlled. And for a game that's so thoughtful in nearly every area, the AI barely cuts it. I don't know why more games don't let you program conditions like FFXII or Dragon Age.

Everything that's tangentially related to battles is good, too. This game does a nice job smartly implementing its various systems. Everything feels cohesive. Titles are great (if a little excessive); I love the descriptions for all of them, too, and things like Cheria's ribbons...lol. Getting around is made easier and easier. The grade shop has nice options from what I saw when I looked at it. This is a game that would've been heaven to have when I was younger. There's so much you can miss seeing without a guide and so much to reward you simply for playing around. I grew up on stuff like Star Ocean 2, so this was right up my alley.

Everything besides what you play, however, isn't as strong. It's been mentioned how the story is slow and vanilla, the characters are kind of meh, the voice acting is sometimes inconsistent, the music looping drives you crazy, etc. Oh well. I think Vesperia is still my favorite of the few Tales games I've played because it's much more well-rounded, but Graces is still very fun. And it's not like everything is totally bad, either. There are a few really good music tracks
(it's almost as if Sakuraba finally woke up once you arrived on Fodra, for example)
, a few thought-provoking or touching moments, and a nice amount of funny skits when the skits are actually Tales-esque skits and not just additional info dump exposition. Future arc is unexpectedly better than anything similar I've played (P3FES's Answer, Dragon Age Awakening, etc.), providing some obnoxious dungeons in return for giving some of the best skits in the game.
Future arc may as well have been called "Richard arc"--I think he's one of the most interesting characters in Graces next to Pascal.

And I still don't fully understand dualizing and gems. I managed to get through most of the Inn Requests through having a large amount of shards kicking around. This exposed one of the few things I hate about the game's systems--having too many shards will prevent you from gaining any additional ones. It's the same with other kinds of items and made me overly paranoid about not having enough space for new things. I'm also sad that all the dualizing didn't extend to expendable in-battle items, as I think that would've spiced things up a bit more (sorry, I'm a Star Ocean whore).

I think that's all for now. I'm about to start Xenoblade, but I'm worried I'll get super bored. We'll see.

scy

There is no way you'll ever be able to afford Inherit Skills on the first run lol hence why it's worth it to master as many titles as you can before you start your NG+, mastery bonus and 2x/3x SP makes it so you'll regain all your skills really fast.

Well, I can afford it just not it and the actual useful stuff. Which actually begs the question, is it just ... keeping your Titles mastered? If so, I'm not really that concerned about not getting it :x 6x SP and Chaos should have you Mastering them in a few fights each (I can pull 1-2k a fight pretty easily on Chaos without any +SP bonuses). Doesn't really feel worth it, y'know?

And I still don't fully understand dualizing and gems. I managed to get through most of the Inn Requests through having a large amount of shards kicking around. This exposed one of the few things I hate about the game's systems--having too many shards will prevent you from gaining any additional ones. It's the same with other kinds of items and made me overly paranoid about not having enough space for new things. I'm also sad that all the dualizing didn't extend to expendable in-battle items, as I think that would've spiced things up a bit more (sorry, I'm a Star Ocean whore).

For what it's worth, shard count is really only an issue when you're in the hundreds. Which I guess will happen if you're just not ever using shards but I find it pretty hard to keep over 50 with just some use of it.

Really, it's a straightforward system once you hammer out the details. The Quality on the item + the Quality of the shard used will determine the Quality you have afterwards; also, the Quality of the shard used will determine what kind of stat bonuses. Qualities of equal length (e.g., Oily and Cold are both four-letter Qualities, Noble and Sauve are both five, Wicked and Barbed are six and so on) will result in a better Quality (e.g., Oily + Cold => Olden, Noble + Suave => Barbed, Wicked + Barbed => Epochal).

I do agree on future arc is basically
Richard being awesome arc. Him and Malik kind of drive the humorous skits

Edgeward

What increases the eleth guage in battles and how do I do it quickly?

I ran into a sidequest encountering
Bryce
oh my days, the man nevers staggers and has uninterruptible moves. Had keep paring down the difficulty till it came up in normal, even then he wouldn't stop harassing Cheria in all cases. >_< But somehow I made it out okay, finally.

I just beat the 3 cryas dragons. What are the cryas gems they drop for? And one more question: can I still fight the rockagagong in the f arc? I've yet to beat the main arc, but I'm really enjoying all the endgame side content.

scy

What increases the eleth gauge in battles and how do I do it quickly?

I ran into a sidequest encountering
Bryce
oh my days, the man nevers staggers and has uninterruptible moves. Had keep paring down the difficulty till it came up in normal, even then he wouldn't stop harassing Cheria in all cases. >_< But somehow I made it out okay, finally.

Edit: ...you said gauge. >>

Hit enemy weaknesses, block at the right time (basically when it's going to hit), and evade properly (again, when it's going to hit). The latter two give +CC to kind of show when you did it right. Besides that, various titles increase the rate the bar fills and, if all else fails, Arcane Bottles fill it instantly and they're "only" a 5% chance to create via the Mixer.

AGITΩ

Hey guys I just got to
Lambda's Cocoon
and I stopped playing for a full day. Jumped back on Trails of Graces and decided to catch up. The first one that I did had foes around 20 levels Below me, and they 2 Hit KO'd me. Thought it was Odd so I tried a later one closer to my level, same thing again. Tried a previously beaten one, killed as well. Went into the actual main game, first enemies get me a game over. I restarted the game and it continued again.
Is this a glitch, or does the game just hate me?

Bladenic

To be honest I wish the Future Arc would've been longer. I honestly enjoyed it more than the full game on pretty much every level, especially the story and characters. While I do like Graces's cast overall, they are VERY meh in the main story and story cutscenes. But I feel they all improve in the future arc, plus you get to witness
Richard in all his glory.

Not to mention the the VA is very good and CONSISTENT in the future arc as opposed to the main story.

Anyway, I haven't played much lately due to being swamped with school, but against my better judgement I played extensively today. Finished up to floor 8 of the secret dungeon, beat the final boss under 60 seconds and on Chaos (separately of course..), and did tons of requests as they become available. Hope I don't have too many of them left. Next I'll find an item good enough for the 9th floor of the secret dungeon, defeat that last cryas dragon, and try to finish the secret dungeon. Then I'll do all the secret bosses and finish up the inn requests. I have two older 60 sec trophies still to get but I do have old saves luckily. Then I also have to beat the future arc boss in 60 s and the dreaded 9999 mixer trophy (currently at 2677 ugh..).

Dariso

Neo Member
Man this game really needed better battle themes. For a game where I´m actually looking for battles all the time due to the great combat system, the themes really fail to pump you up for the battle. I don´t know how far I am in the game
just left to fix the cannon to get the airship working
but so far the battle music has been pretty unremarkable.Hope there is a better theme later in the game.

To be honest I wish the Future Arc would've been longer. I honestly enjoyed it more than the full game on pretty much every level, especially the story and characters. While I do like Graces's cast overall, they are VERY meh in the main story and story cutscenes. But I feel they all improve in the future arc, plus you get to witness
Richard in all his glory.

Not to mention the the VA is very good and CONSISTENT in the future arc as opposed to the main story.

Anyway, I haven't played much lately due to being swamped with school, but against my better judgement I played extensively today. Finished up to floor 8 of the secret dungeon, beat the final boss under 60 seconds and on Chaos (separately of course..), and did tons of requests as they become available. Hope I don't have too many of them left. Next I'll find an item good enough for the 9th floor of the secret dungeon, defeat that last cryas dragon, and try to finish the secret dungeon. Then I'll do all the secret bosses and finish up the inn requests. I have two older 60 sec trophies still to get but I do have old saves luckily. Then I also have to beat the future arc boss in 60 s and the dreaded 9999 mixer trophy (currently at 2677 ugh..).

This I really do feel that
The main party does not feel complete without Richard, his humor and view point really helps round out the cast. I wish the f arc was longer just for more full party interactions

Just started this game, I'm a complete noob to the just about every system present in the game but am overall very delighted with the game. Also, the combat system is excellent in comparison to the turn based JRPG combat of old. I'll have to review this thread for some tips on just about everything.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I beat it. Everything but the core combat is bad. The music is bad, the characters are bad, the art design is bad, the game feels tiny, the dungeons are bad, the graphics are a clear step down from Vesperia (sure, I know, it's a Wii game but it runs at 30FPS on the fields), the story is offensive...

The combat and the accompanying systems work pretty well. And that counts for a lot because gameplay is important.

But holy shit this game is the pits everywhere else.

ULTROS!

Eh, I'd say the story is more safe and generic than terrible, same with the characters. This ain't Star Ocean 4 story levels anyway.

The only character I get frustrated at is Asbel but other than that, they're OK.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eh, I'd say the story is more safe and generic than terrible, same with the characters. This ain't Star Ocean 4 story levels anyway.

The only character I get frustrated at is Asbel but other than that, they're OK.

Sophie even talks in the same monotone robot voice as Lymle for half the game. Ghastly.

You want to know what struck me as odd? According to the manual, Mallik is 40. It's JRPG parody!

ULTROS!

Well she is
a biological weapon anyway, so the monotonic voice is quite suiting, can't imagine her being uppity and giggly. :p
. Lymle has no excuse for being monotonic other than being retarded. :p

40 is nothing compared to the next Tales. Rowen from Tales of Xillia is 62!

Bladenic

I beat it. Everything but the core combat is bad. The music is bad, the characters are bad, the art design is bad, the game feels tiny, the dungeons are bad, the graphics are a clear step down from Vesperia (sure, I know, it's a Wii game but it runs at 30FPS on the fields), the story is offensive...

The combat and the accompanying systems work pretty well. And that counts for a lot because gameplay is important.

I agree though not to the same levels as you. I think Vesperia was so much better as an overall package. If I had to rank the series I'd say:

Vesperia > Symphonia > Graces > Rebirth > Abyss > Hearts > Legendia > Symphonia 2

The reason Graces is third is mainly the battle system. As an overall package, it's weaker than some of the other Tales games. I think Rebirth would be higher than Graces if it was in English.

frequency

Last time I posted in this thread, I said I was (for some reason unknown to me) enjoying this a lot more than when I played it on the Wii.

I put some more time into this and yeah... I remember why I wasn't so hot on the Wii version. I'm not sure I'll finish this f playthrough.

I wouldn't call any of it bad, just maybe not good enough for a full second playthrough when I have so many on-going games and such a huge backlog.

I praised the localization before, but I am really tired of the Turtlez people. It literally takes me like five times longer to comprehend what they're trying to say. That's really annoying. I guess it's my fault for caring what random NPCs say. I also do not like Pascal's localization.

I turned up the difficulty and it doesn't do anything for me. I still do the same thing as I would on lower difficulties. It just takes longer.

I do want to see the new "future arc" stuff though. So I might push through to the end... I don't know.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Rofl, this is the tldr version of my review. Except replace the bad with okay. Hahahaha.

Edgeward

Edit: ...you said gauge. >>

Hit enemy weaknesses, block at the right time (basically when it's going to hit), and evade properly (again, when it's going to hit). The latter two give +CC to kind of show when you did it right. Besides that, various titles increase the rate the bar fills and, if all else fails, Arcane Bottles fill it instantly and they're "only" a 5% chance to create via the Mixer.

>_>

thank you

Last time I posted in this thread, I said I was (for some reason unknown to me) enjoying this a lot more than when I played it on the Wii.

I put some more time into this and yeah... I remember why I wasn't so hot on the Wii version. I'm not sure I'll finish this f playthrough.

I wouldn't call any of it bad, just maybe not good enough for a full second playthrough when I have so many on-going games and such a huge backlog.

I praised the localization before, but I am really tired of the Turtlez people. It literally takes me like five times longer to comprehend what they're trying to say. That's really annoying. I guess it's my fault for caring what random NPCs say. I also do not like Pascal's localization.

I turned up the difficulty and it doesn't do anything for me. I still do the same thing as I would on lower difficulties. It just takes longer.

I do want to see the new "future arc" stuff though. So I might push through to the end... I don't know.

I'd say the f arc is worth experiencing simply for
The scenes where Lambda talks with each individual member of the party, along with various skits where Richard gets to interact with the party.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good to hear. Is the ToS anime good? Kinda want to watch :D
I hope you get better soon :)
Aww, sorry to hear. Hope you feel better soon.

95? Dang, I thought I was a bit overleveled pushing 90 (maybe) for when I finish the final dungeon :x
Thanks, guys. Feeling a little better, but not completely. It's weird; I don't get sick often, but I guess I've been working myself ragged lately and ended up catching something. :/

Ah well.

And yeah, Level 90+ is beyond fine for the final boss/final dungeon. I wanted to get the 60 seconds trophy for the final boss, but that didn't pan out because I kept getting like... 1:03, 1:05, 1:07, etc. So I decided to wait until I got Accel Mode for that.

As for the Symphonia anime, the Tethe'alla arc is superior to the Sylvarant Arc, but that was the case with the game. It's good for fans of the game, like kayos said. If you're watching it with no experience with Symphonia, it might fall short of expectations.

Not really. For an anime it's not very good. Bad pacing and it tries to cram the entire symphonia story line into a couple of hours. Having said that, it's good if you've played teh game.
I'd say the same thing goes for the Phantasia anime too.

Sophie even talks in the same monotone robot voice as Lymle for half the game. Ghastly.
If you dislike Sophie's English voice tone here, you should've heard her Japanese voice which was even more monotone and boring.

It took me so long to warm up to Japanese Sophie because I found her boring and sometimes creepy. Her seiyuu didn't do her many favours either because listening to Sophie was kind of boring and detached.

Everything that's tangentially related to battles is good, too. This game does a nice job smartly implementing its various systems. Everything feels cohesive. Titles are great (if a little excessive); I love the descriptions for all of them, too, and things like Cheria's ribbons...lol. Getting around is made easier and easier. The grade shop has nice options from what I saw when I looked at it. This is a game that would've been heaven to have when I was younger. There's so much you can miss seeing without a guide and so much to reward you simply for playing around. I grew up on stuff like Star Ocean 2, so this was right up my alley.

Everything besides what you play, however, isn't as strong. It's been mentioned how the story is slow and vanilla, the characters are kind of meh, the voice acting is sometimes inconsistent, the music looping drives you crazy, etc. Oh well. I think Vesperia is still my favorite of the few Tales games I've played because it's much more well-rounded, but Graces is still very fun. And it's not like everything is totally bad, either. There are a few really good music tracks
(it's almost as if Sakuraba finally woke up once you arrived on Fodra, for example)
, a few thought-provoking or touching moments, and a nice amount of funny skits when the skits are actually Tales-esque skits and not just additional info dump exposition. Future arc is unexpectedly better than anything similar I've played (P3FES's Answer, Dragon Age Awakening, etc.), providing some obnoxious dungeons in return for giving some of the best skits in the game.
Future arc may as well have been called "Richard arc"--I think he's one of the most interesting characters in Graces next to Pascal.

I think that's all for now. I'm about to start Xenoblade, but I'm worried I'll get super bored. We'll see.
Glad you seemed to like how cohesive the systems are. That's what drew me to the game in the first place and ended up making it one of my favourites alongside Rebirth and Tales of Destiny remake.

I think Sakuraba might have done more of the
Fodra
-esque themes and Tamura did more of the regular stuff and the first few dungeon themes.

I agree with your assessment of Future Arc. It really feels like a nice tie-up for the game in general, and the addition of
Richard and the Lambda scenes
make for a good ride in general. I wish the narrative part of it were longer, but oh well. I think if they were to make it a third part of the game, perhaps it may have come across like Abyss's third portion in terms of being a direct-to-VHS/DVD epilogue (ie: not that great).

As for Xenoblade, don't do all the sidequests in one go! You'll burn yourself out that way. One of my friends did that for the JP version and ended up dropping the game altogether. Luckily I was forewarned and didn't do them in one go, and thus ended up enjoying the game (though had a few nitpicks for it).

Boy oh boy, do I hate the scorpions found in Uncharted Sandstretch. 3k damage in one hit even on moderate? Damn bastards.
That's why I avoid them in general and just get the sparklies on the ground. They do not give good enough XP and SP for the trouble you go through to deal with them.

I also do not like Pascal's localization.

I like Pascal's localization as it makes sense in English, at least. But the Turtlez/Kamenin Merchants were always annoying and thus I didn't really pay attention to what they said, ever.

Higher difficulty forces you to hit the enemies' weaker points to make battles go faster. Even Chaos battles shouldn't be taking you a long time if you're hitting weak points. The point is to get higher combos to get more drops and shards, hence the higher HP of enemies. If you're getting higher combos in the range of 30-50 hits at least, they go down pretty quickly.

Future Arc is worth it, imo. I've never played the Wii version, but I feel like Future Arc might be a nice treat for fans of original vanilla version of the game.

Boy oh boy, do I hate the scorpions found in Uncharted Sandstretch. 3k damage in one hit even on moderate? Damn bastards.

I don't understand that area... the mobs are super hard, but they give shit EXP and SP. And then when you get the the optional dungeon in that area, the mobs are WAY easier and give more EXP and SP.

branny

Music aside, I think I agree about most stuff not necessarily being bad, just mediocre or inoffensive because other things I've played have been far worse. I guess sometimes playing something bland can be a lot more boring than playing something incredibly awful, but yeah. Coming right off Mass Effect 3, I can say that the scope and consistency of Graces is quite welcoming. It tells a story from start to finish and wraps up nicely. It feels very complete. It also feels very by-the-numbers and uninspired which is obviously is the most offensive thing about it. It's just not bad tier like Ephemeral Fantasia or, more recently, Crisis Core and The 3rd Birthday.

Beyond the story, Graces does a good job inviting you to play with its various systems and such. As with other Tales games and games that share many similarities (Star Ocean, Atelier, etc.), there is a lot of auxiliary content to mess around with, so there's always something to work toward.

I also think playing Xenoblade right after this is a bad idea. It's like the complete opposite of Graces. The music is fabulous, it gets off to a great start, the world is huge and dense, everything feels a lot less linear and restrictive...and the battles are so painfully boring that I actually fell asleep playing. I have a hard time looking forward to The Witcher 2 because I know I won't like it. I'd sacrifice Xenoblade for Dragon's Dogma in a second.

Glad you seemed to like how cohesive the systems are. That's what drew me to the game in the first place and ended up making it one of my favourites alongside Rebirth and Tales of Destiny remake.

I think Sakuraba might have done more of the Fodra-esque themes and Tamura did more of the regular stuff and the first few dungeon themes.

I agree with your assessment of Future Arc. It really feels like a nice tie-up for the game in general, and the addition of
Richard and the Lambda scenes
make for a good ride in general. I wish the narrative part of it were longer, but oh well. I think if they were to make it a third part of the game, perhaps it may have come across like Abyss's third portion in terms of being a direct-to-VHS/DVD epilogue (ie: not that great).

As for Xenoblade, don't do all the sidequests in one go! You'll burn yourself out that way. One of my friends did that for the JP version and ended up dropping the game altogether. Luckily I was forewarned and didn't do them in one go, and thus ended up enjoying the game (though had a few nitpicks for it).
Ughhh, why don't we have those two Tales games in English? Those are my two favorites to watch exhibition videos for. How did we get stuck with games like Dawn of the New World and Radiant Mythology? :(

I really do like Graces. It's great. I wouldn't have spent 200+ hours on it in one go if it didn't hit the spot for me the way it did. Thank you so much for being one of the people championing it here. I don't like Symphonia as much as other people, for example, so enjoying this a hell of a lot more was a pleasant surprise. At first, I was actually mad this got announced instead of Vesperia PS3. How stupid of me. :p

And thanks for the Xenoblade tip, too! After all the time I spent with Graces, I think I'll gladly ignore every sidequest that forces me to go out of my way. The battle system will make or break that game for me. If it ends up getting too easy or boring because of all the sidequests, it'll definitely be in my best interest to avoid those.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Music aside, I think I agree about most stuff not necessarily being bad, just mediocre or inoffensive because other things I've played have been far worse. I guess sometimes playing something bland can be a lot more boring than playing something incredibly awful, but yeah. Coming right off Mass Effect 3, I can say that the scope and consistency of Graces is quite welcoming. It tells a story from start to finish and wraps up nicely. It feels very complete. It also feels very by-the-numbers and uninspired which is obviously is the most offensive thing about it. It's just not bad tier like Ephemeral Fantasia or, more recently, Crisis Core and The 3rd Birthday.

Beyond the story, Graces does a good job inviting you to play with its various systems and such. As with other Tales games and games that share many similarities (Star Ocean, Atelier, etc.), there is a lot of auxiliary content to mess around with, so there's always something to work toward.

I also think playing Xenoblade right after this is a bad idea. It's like the complete opposite of Graces. The music is fabulous, it gets off to a great start, the world is huge and dense, everything feels a lot less linear and restrictive...and the battles are so painfully boring that I actually fell asleep playing. I have a hard time looking forward to The Witcher 2 because I know I won't like it. I'd sacrifice Xenoblade for Dragon's Dogma in a second.

Ughhh, why don't we have those two Tales games in English? Those are my two favorites to watch exhibition videos for. How did we get stuck with games like Dawn of the New World and Radiant Mythology? :(

I really do like Graces. It's great. I wouldn't have spent 200+ hours on it in one go if it didn't hit the spot for me the way it did. Thank you so much for being one of the people championing it here. I don't like Symphonia as much as other people, for example, so enjoying this a hell of a lot more was a pleasant surprise. At first, I was actually mad this got announced instead of Vesperia PS3. How stupid of me. :p

And thanks for the Xenoblade tip, too! After all the time I spent with Graces, I think I'll gladly ignore every sidequest that forces me to go out of my way. The battle system will make or break that game for me. If it ends up getting too easy or boring because of all the sidequests, it'll definitely be in my best interest to avoid those.

Rofl, glad to see that Schala gets some notoriety. 200+ hours is crazy man. Reminds me of my high school days with Vesperia. *sigh*

ULTROS!

What is it with this game where
loli cutesy girls are stronger than the final boss? I mean look at Reala, she has ultra high defense and is waaaay stronger than the final boss: http://i.imgur.com/411QG.jpg

branny

The future arc was definitely better than I expected. I hated the dungeons (OMG a couple were so annoying), but the goodies you got (
Richard <3
, funny skits, Accel mode,
narikiri/role-play
titles, pretty weapons) were so worth it. Plus it gave more closure on some stuff, particularly with the relationships between certain characters and seeing things continue where they left off. The fact that it ultimately didn't detract from the main game was honestly enough for me. Most of the extended scenarios I've played from other games either felt too watered down or pointless.

Rofl, glad to see that Schala gets some notoriety. 200+ hours is crazy man. Reminds me of my high school days with Vesperia. *sigh*
Ahahaha, I was just thinking back to the posts I've seen Schala and Aeana paste everywhere to help explain why the combat was great.

And, woah, I was almost done with college when Vesperia came out...! Damn, so old. lolll

What is it with this game where
loli cutesy girls are stronger than the final boss? I mean look at Reala, she has ultra high defense and is waaaay stronger than the final boss: http://i.imgur.com/411QG.jpg

I do wish she fought properly in this game. One or two spells and literally everything else is staff whacks.

My goddess at the
play at Velanik.
I really like that the VAs got into their new roles of the characters and made it much more fun to watch.

But, damn do I hate this sidequest hell I'm going through. Why toss so many sidequests at me at once?

ULTROS!

Gentleman Trophy get, now for the rest of the trophies.

So I just finished the f arc.

Ending Spoilers
So I guess everyone is dead at the end except for Sophie? I mean she talked about playing with Asbel/Cheria's great-great grandson, so since they showed it I guess it actually happened? Not too many games deal with characters outliving others.

I just feel bad for Sophie since basically everyone who was important to her is dead now.

branny

My goddess at the
play at Velanik.
I really like that the VAs got into their new roles of the characters and made it much more fun to watch.
That kind of thing should've been a mandatory story event. It sucks that it took so long for this cast to develop chemistry. You can see so much potential when everyone gets a bit more comfortable later in the game and during the future arc. Some Tales games really hit this out of the park (Vesperia immediately comes to mind--I can't even imagine how the PS3 version fares with Patty and Flynn thrown into the mix).

So I just finished the f arc.

Ending Spoilers
So I guess everyone is dead at the end except for Sophie? I mean she talked about playing with Asbel/Cheria's great-great grandson, so since they showed it I guess it actually happened? Not too many games deal with characters outliving others.

I just feel bad for Sophie since basically everyone who was important to her is dead now.
This game actually deals with some really interesting themes; it just doesn't execute them all too well. This was something that disappointed me with Lost Odyssey, too, because the dream sequences were miles ahead of anything in the main plot. So much wasted potential. :(

Top Bottom