• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

scy

You could always juggle it on and off with Legend of Grimrock. >.>

I'd multi-task them if I could figure out a way for that lol :x Yeah, that's probably the plan. Depends on my mood and how deep into mechanics I get for Grimrock.

Inn Requests don't really take that long. It's just the part where you have to get the shards to make the weapons for it that I found cumbersome the first time around.

I keep fearing that they'll ask me to make a Buff weapon or something and I'll have to hunt down a 4-letter Quality drop from somewhere. I actually bet this is the case.

And if you already beat the final boss on Chaos, the lower difficulties will feel like a cakewalk.

And also, don't forget that (final boss spoilers)
when you beat Zone Cage that you should beat the final boss again for another trophy.
:p

Yeah, already got the Chaos one though I missed the 60s one. Not a big deal with, what, four more kills to do? And I didn't actually know that
there was a trophy for re-beating the final boss. Dang. Guess I got that too!

I kind of want to save it all for an NG+ file with the bonuses. But that would also mean having to get through the game a second time just for that. Hrm...

Animekatt

Anyone nearing the platinum?

I'm at 62% trophies. Right now I'm working on the inn requests. I'm getting to the point where I need to turn in the last item to each town, with some completely finished. I also need to get into floor 10 of the Zhonecage, just need an expensive item for it. I'm trying to get rid of the more mundane trophies before I start a NG+ to get the 60s ones done.

My mixer is in the 2100s. Is it feasible for me to grind out the 9999 currently, or just wait until NG+ to work on it?

Man this weeks set of costumes are the most tempting to me thus far, a couple i'm pretty close to picking up. 3.99 though for a game i'm very close to being 100% done with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What are the costumes this week? The Cameo ones?

Info:
Asbel - Destiny: Leon Magnus (plays Irony of Fate when equipped because every Tales game must have Irony of Fate playing in it somewhere)
Cheria - Abyss: Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (plays Awkward Justice when equipped)
Pascal - Destiny 2: Harold Belserius (plays Alea Jacta Est when equipped)
Sophie - Abyss: Anise Tatlin (plays Edge of a Decision when equipped)
Hubert - Vesperia: Flynn Scifo (plays Fury Sparks when equipped)
Richard - Symphonia: Zelos Wilder (plays the worst version of Beat the Angel when equipped)
Malik - Vesperia: Raven (plays Leviathan's Claw when equipped)

00127ua47.png

0024ecajb.png

Not in a position to check what's up right now. I texted a friend who said that there's a level up boost, another 300K gald pack, and something that gives you the 100-hit titles.

Animekatt said:
My mixer is in the 2100s. Is it feasible for me to grind out the 9999 currently, or just wait until NG+ to work on it?
Totally feasible if you use books that lets you cook twice in a battle and increase eleth mixer growth when you cook, Crab Fried Rice, and Miso Stew in there and run around grinding it up a bit. But since you're planning on doing a NG+ already, it might be less cumbersome to do your grinding right now and just do it as you're playing through the game again.

scy said:
I keep fearing that they'll ask me to make a Buff weapon or something and I'll have to hunt down a 4-letter Quality drop from somewhere. I actually bet this is the case.

I kind of want to save it all for an NG+ file with the bonuses. But that would also mean having to get through the game a second time just for that. Hrm...
It wouldn't be that difficult to track down, I'd expect. The final requests usually ask for something better in terms of qualities asked for, though.

And I think you've come this far already with a bunch of gald, armour equips/synthesis, and a bunch of other stuff. It's probably best to take care of the boss issues and the EX dungeon issues on this playthrough as opposed to a NG+ since you'll have to do the entire game over again with some of the Grade Shop bonuses anyway. It's easier, but it renders some of the synthesis and inn requests you did on your first playthrough for naught, imo.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What are the costumes this week? The Cameo ones?

Info:
Asbel - Destiny: Leon Magnus (plays Irony of Fate when equipped because every Tales game must have Irony of Fate playing in it somewhere)
Cheria - Abyss: Natalia (plays Awkward Justice when equipped)
Pascal - Destiny 2: Harold Belserius (plays Alea Jacta Est when equipped)
Sophie - Abyss: Anise Tatlin (plays Edge of a Decision when equipped)
Hubert - Vesperia: Flynn Scifo (plays Fury Sparks when equipped)
Richard - Symphonia: Zelos Wilder (plays the worst version of Beat the Angel when equippped)
Malik - Vesperia: Raven (plays Leviathan's Claw when equipped)

00127ua47.png

0024ecajb.png

Not in a position to check what's up right now. I texted a friend who said that there's a level up boost, another 300K gald pack, and something that gives you the 100-hit titles.

Totally feasible if you use books that lets you cook twice in a battle and increase eleth mixer growth when you cook, Crab Fried Rice, and Miso Stew in there and run around grinding it up a bit. But since you're planning on doing a NG+ already, it might be less cumbersome to do your grinding right now and just do it as you're playing through the game again.

It wouldn't be that difficult to track down, I'd expect. The final requests usually ask for something better in terms of qualities asked for, though.

And I think you've come this far already with a bunch of gald, armour equips/synthesis, and a bunch of other stuff. It's probably best to take care of the boss issues and the EX dungeon issues on this playthrough as opposed to a NG+ since you'll have to do the entire game over again with some of the Grade Shop bonuses anyway. It's easier, but it renders some of the synthesis and inn requests you did on your first playthrough for naught, imo.

We have two Irony of Fate. Meh. Ugh. No Haseo. So sad. If there's no DLC next week, this game is broken to me.

all of those are up, the ones i am unsure when they went up are pascals cowgirl maliks samurai asbels pilot huberts avenger and cherias imp. May have been last week as i can't remember if i checked then or not.

kewlmyc

We have two Irony of Fate. Meh. Ugh. No Haseo. So sad. If there's no DLC next week, this game is broken to me.

I noticed that there's two versions of Irony of Fate in the game. Seems rather lazy. Asbel should have had another costume, considering there's already a shitton of Destiny/Destiny 2 stuff in the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think Namco USA remembers what .hack is.

And hey. Jude's Leon Magnus costume was pretty cool since all you had to do was change his eye colour and he's basically Leon with punches and kicks. His Cress costume didn't fit well.

Needs more Fate of a Fencer.

kewlmyc said:
I noticed that there's two versions of Irony of Fate in the game. Seems rather lazy. Asbel should have had another costume, considering there's already a shitton of Destiny/Destiny 2 stuff in the game.
Probably because they look alike.

p2ygU.png

all of those are up, the ones i am unsure when they went up are pascals cowgirl maliks samurai asbels pilot huberts avenger and cherias imp. May have been last week as i can't remember if i checked then or not.
Those went up last week.

kayos90

I don't think Namco USA remembers what .hack is.

And hey. Jude's Leon Magnus costume was pretty cool since all you had to do was change his eye colour and he's basically be Leon with punches and kicks. His Cress costume didn't fit well.

Needs more Fate of a Fencer.

Probably because they look alike.

p2ygU.png

Those went up last week.

The Leon costume for Asbel is so ghetto though. It doesn't fit with any of his BC or anything. Whereas the Haseo goes with everything.

Animekatt

Thanks Schala for your response. I will see how it goes when I work towards beating the Zhone cage.

I am getting that Flynn costume. Love the battle theme. While I love the school costume, the music is starting to become grating to my ears. XD

I found these pics of the cameo costumes with the correct hair colors for each character. I thought it was pretty cool.

gracescameos2.png

gracescameos1.png

Bladenic

Sophie looks damn creepy in that screen... they all look kinda funky with the true colors. I'll probably get Pascal's because it's awesome and Malik's because I love Raven. I kind of want Cheria's, Sophie's, and Hubert's but I bought their school costumes so this is a fair trade.

Oh, and as far as Platinum, I'm up to 82%. Two secret bosses, Gentleman/inn requests, Future arc final boss 60s, eleth mixer (at 3100 meh) and 2 previous 60s that I'm not sure if I'll get on a NG+ or reload an earlier save to get. So I'm close. I won't be able to play much if at all until May when school's out so I won't get it for a while still.

I actually like the Zelos costume with red hair, cause he looks pretty terrible with blond hair.

I am looking forward to using Flynn|Hubert, if nothing else as it is my closest way of playing as Flynn on the PS3 till I ever get around and import Vesperia. :[

kewlmyc

Thanks Schala for your response. I will see how it goes when I work towards beating the Zhone cage.

I am getting that Flynn costume. Love the battle theme. While I love the school costume, the music is starting to become grating to my ears. XD

I found these pics of the cameo costumes with the correct hair colors for each character. I thought it was pretty cool.

gracescameos2.png

gracescameos1.png

Only if you could change the hair color of the characters along with the costume.

The Leon costume for Asbel is so ghetto though. It doesn't fit with any of his BC or anything. Whereas the Haseo goes with everything.
Are you a big .hack fan or just a fan of how it looks?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, already got the Chaos one though I missed the 60s one. Not a big deal with, what, four more kills to do? And I didn't actually know that
there was a trophy for re-beating the final boss. Dang. Guess I got that too!

Oh, right! I almost forgot for this trophy... If you're planning on getting the plat for this game in one go, and getting the beat the final boss in 60 seconds trophy then...
before you beat the Zone Cage's boss, get that 60 seconds trophy first. You won't have an opportunity to do so on that playthrough if you finish off the Zone Cage and then go back to fight the final boss.

gracescameos2.png

gracescameos1.png
Yeah, if it doesn't seem like you're making much progress during the Zone Cage, just do it on a NG+ with the Eleth Mixer +500 boost from the Grade Shop and then carry on from there.

And man, Pascal's Harold costume with the pink hair looks fantastic. It looks so right. And Zelos finally looks right with the red hair. Sophie and Cheria look sort of off... Asbel as Leon Magnus looks right too, though it reminds me of Jude as Leon:

uDtGO.jpg

...I think Leon's cool because he's left-handed. </bias>

Only if you could change the hair color of the characters along with the costume.
That would have been a nice accessory perk.

Anybody supporting the DLC for this game is a bad person. Although I'm fighting hard against wanting the Harold costume.

Man, the Future Arc is poop. It's like seven hour of cut-scenes, thirty minutes of recycled dungeons and an hour of new dungeons. It's ALMOST interesting to see the characters in an epilogue setting but I kind of wish they had saved it for a full sequel since the main game was already feeling worn thin by the end. And the antagonist (and their motivation) is ultra lame, even for the already low Tales standards.

kewlmyc

Anybody supporting the DLC for this game is a bad person. Although I'm fighting hard against wanting the Harold costume.

Man, the Future Arc is poop. It's like seven hour of cut-scenes, thirty minutes of recycled dungeons and an hour of new dungeons. It's ALMOST interesting to see the characters in an epilogue setting but I kind of wish they had saved it for a full sequel since the main game was already feeling worn thin by the end. And the antagonist (and their motivation) is ultra lame, even for the already low Tales standards.

I guess I'm a bad person. I'm a completionist and want more Tales titles in the west, so I've bought all the costumes and attachments. This is the only game I'm buying this quarter though, so I had some extra cash. The Tales series is one of the two JRPG series I can stand. The other is Persona

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It may not seem like it, but I haven't bought any DLC for this version. I could use the money for a french vanilla cappuccino or something since I don't use my CC on PSN and opt to use cards instead (which I did for Journey the other day).

Edit: The only things I have against the costumes are: a) the pricing (4-5 bucks per costume is rather unreasonable considering SE's charging a little less for their costumes), and b) there are barely any in-game costumes so you have to purchase the DLC costumes for better variety. Xillia is proof of how far Namco went with regards to costumes since there are, like, 4 in-game costumes in that game, and the rest was DLC, pre-order bonuses, bundled with a CD, etc... which was absolutely silly on their part. I could not resist the school costume in Xillia, though, since the music was rad. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea, but Namco takes it too far in an extreme direction.

I guess I'm a bad person. I'm a completionist and want more Tales titles in the west. The Tales series is one of the two JRPG series I can stand. The other is Persona
Most of my favourite RPG series are dead or are on life support. ;_;

I'm wanting to get this after I finish xenoblade and vespiea, has it dropped in price anywhere yet? I've been watching it on cheapassgamer but that site doesn't seem to track many stores.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It may not seem like it, but I haven't bought any DLC for this version. I could use the money for a french vanilla cappuccino or something since I don't use my CC on PSN and opt to use cards instead (which I did for Journey the other day).

Edit: The only things I have against the costumes are: a) the pricing (4-5 bucks per costume is rather unreasonable considering SE's charging a little less for their costumes), and b) there are barely any in-game costumes so you have to purchase the DLC costumes for better variety. Xillia is proof of how far Namco went with regards to costumes since there are, like, 4 in-game costumes in that game, and the rest was DLC, pre-order bonuses, bundled with a CD, etc... which was absolutely silly on their part. I could not resist the school costume in Xillia, though, since the music was rad. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea, but Namco takes it too far in an extreme direction.

Most of my favourite RPG series are dead or are on life support. ;_;

I am curious about your.

Mine is Chrono series but I hope to keep that way because I fear that Square-Enix would ruin it. Same for Breath of Fire. Capcom screwed up a lot lately so I am afraid that they would ruin the series too.

Oh sweet, the cameo costumes are out?

Was waiting for the Leon, Natalia & Flynn costumes.
Oh fuck it, I'll probably buy all of 'em. (._.)

Bladenic

I honestly liked the the Future Arc and wish it was longer because the characters were so much better here. The ending regarding Sophie is kinda weird though.

QUOI ??? WHAT ??? NANI ???

"Beat the angel" without the bells ?

this is ..... Pourquoi ? WHY ? Naze ?

i have nothing against remixes but still ....

scy

Future Arc Riot Peak on Chaos is mean / I suck with Malik :|

Oh, right! I almost forgot for this trophy... If you're planning on getting the plat for this game in one go, and getting the beat the final boss in 60 seconds trophy then...
before you beat the Zone Cage's boss, get that 60 seconds trophy first. You won't have an opportunity to do so on that playthrough if you finish off the Zone Cage and then go back to fight the final boss.

I have a backup save before it just in case I need it. I wasn't that far off on my first kill on Chaos so I don't think it'll be too bad to scale it back to Easy even without any future arc bonuses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm wanting to get this after I finish xenoblade and vespiea, has it dropped in price anywhere yet? I've been watching it on cheapassgamer but that site doesn't seem to track many stores.
Doesn't seem like it's dropped in price on many US sites yet. Maybe in a few months?

IntelliHeath said:
I am curious about your.

Mine is Chrono series but I hope to keep that way because I fear that Square-Enix would ruin it. Same for Breath of Fire. Capcom screwed up a lot lately so I am afraid that they would ruin the series too.
Well, just a few...

Genso Suikoden - life support approaching death - I've played enough of Woven Web to think of it as not a bad game but it suffers from budget issues, general ease, and camera issues. I think it's alright. It's too bad the team's been disbanded, though some of the people who worked on GS5 are still there. And it doesn't seem like Konami really cared about it given how badly they promoted the game, or how they used Suikoden's legacy to promote both it and Frontier Gate. *shrug*

Chrono - more than likely dead - But to be honest, I wouldn't want current SE touching this at all. Get the dream team back on and then we'll talk, but that isn't likely going to happen.

Shadow Hearts - Dead.
Wild Arms - Dead.
Breath of Fire - Dead.
Grandia - Dead.
Mana - Probably dead.
Arc the Lad - Dead after End of Darkness (though EoD wasn't great at all)
Might and Magic - Dead
Ultima - Dead
Onimusha - Likely dead.
The mountain of IPs that SEGA's sitting on - probably dead or in limbo

Mother wrapped up in a wonderful way, so I don't think it's 'dead', but rather, 'finished'. Quintet died a long time ago, but again, I think they wrapped things up nicely with the games they released.

At least Baldur's Gate's making a comeback! :D

R_thanatos said:
QUOI ??? WHAT ??? NANI ???

"Beat the angel" without the bells ?

this is ..... Pourquoi ? WHY ? Naze ?

i have nothing against remixes but still ....
Parce que Namco est paresseux? lol.

Ils sont trés incompétents!

kewlmyc

Anyone know where to find
Phact Phantasia, Asbel's second f arc weapon
? I found everyone else's in the
Lastalia Shaft Base
, but not his.

kayos90

Doesn't seem like it's dropped in price on many US sites yet. Maybe in a few months?

Well, just a few...

Genso Suikoden - life support approaching death - I've played enough of Woven Web to think of it as not a bad game but it suffers from budget issues, general ease, and camera issues. I think it's alright. It's too bad the team's been disbanded, though some of the people who worked on GS5 are still there. And it doesn't seem like Konami really cared about it given how badly they promoted the game, or how they used Suikoden's legacy to promote both it and Frontier Gate. *shrug*

Chrono - more than likely dead - But to be honest, I wouldn't want current SE touching this at all. Get the dream team back on and then we'll talk, but that isn't likely going to happen.

Shadow Hearts - Dead.
Wild Arms - Dead.
Breath of Fire - Dead.
Grandia - Dead.
Mana - Probably dead.
Might and Magic - Dead
Ultima - Dead
Onimusha - Likely dead.

Mother wrapped up in a wonderful way, so I don't think it's 'dead', but rather, 'finished'. Quintet died a long time ago, but again, I think they wrapped things up nicely with the games they released.

At least Baldur's Gate's making a comeback! :D

Parce que Namco est paresseux? lol.

Ils sont trés incompétents!

You and I have way too many similar tastes. rofl. This should be illegal.

So I started a New Game+. One question though, do I keep the 2x xp bonus and all the other perks I get if I restart future arc from a completed New Game+?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

gracescameos2.png

gracescameos1.png

With the hair color correction, Cheria as Natalia and Richard as Zelos is basically a perfect match.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Well, just a few...

Shadow Hearts - Dead.
Wild Arms - Dead.
Breath of Fire - Dead.
Grandia - Dead.
Mana - Probably dead.
Might and Magic - Dead
Ultima - Dead
Onimusha - Likely dead.

Ach my heart, I forget all about Mana, Grandia and Wild Arms. Yeah, they are better off being dead unless they have original teams to work on the game.

Plus, I am ashamed that I actually forget about Lunar.

Dariso

Neo Member
I get the dlc costumes so I can actually get some decent battle themes.

Sad but true. Never played vesperia but that flynn battle theme is way better than any battle music i have heard in this game. Evil namco putting subpar battle themes to make you buy the costumes XD. But man $4 for a single one...

branny

Omg, did Sagi do the Pascal logic thing in earlier posts? The Emeraude one cracked me up. Man, I must've missed so much in this thread. :(

Anyway, about the platinum: the eleth mixer to 9999 was the last thing I needed. It really helps to use the mixer's grade shop upgrade (for +500) since the last 1000 takes longer to grind (with every book, Miso Stew went from 4~5 per battle to around 2 once it went past 9000). Just make sure you do the grade shop thing when you're around 9400 to be safe. Carrying over your mixing stuff keeps your recipes too, so you will be able to grind right away if you skip the childhood arc.

Before that, I grinded in the area north of Barona near the forest's entrance. There's a convenient Turtlez near two easy enemy spawns that you can run quickly between. Just dark bottle and go nuts. I'm sure there are other places that work well, but that's just the one I used. I also had a backup cooking item (something with chicken, can't remember) to let me know when the mixer had gone below 50%. I wanted a lazy way to notify me when to recharge without wasting a few battles before I realized nothing was cooking.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Ended up buying all the cameo costumes again. Well, except for Malik and Sophie since I just don't like the way they look. Still bummed that there's no Code Geass costumes since I used the Kallen one on Cheria for like 90 percent of the game in the Japanese version. I really need to get back to my first playthrough of the English version. I stopped at the beginning of chapter two.

scy

Shadow Hearts - Dead.
Wild Arms - Dead.
Breath of Fire - Dead.
Grandia - Dead.
Mana - Probably dead.
Might and Magic - Dead
Ultima - Dead
Onimusha - Likely dead.

This is the saddest thing I've read all day. :(

I also had a backup cooking item (something with chicken, can't remember) to let me know when the mixer had gone below 50%. I wanted a lazy way to notify me when to recharge without wasting a few battles before I realized nothing was cooking.

Chicken Curry is the one that procs at <50% Eleth Mixer so I'd assume that. 9999 Mixer wasn't too bad but I basically was working on it from the start of the game. Really though, it's about 1000-ish total battles with the right food in it.

Still bummed that there's no Code Geass costumes since I used the Kallen one on Cheria for like 90 percent of the game in the Japanese version.

I actually didn't know that was her Geass outfit.

This is now the second saddest thing I've read all day. :(

Yuripaw

Banned
The story/characters really keep this game going, it's hard to put it down. I've been playing this game for the past few days. I'm up to the point where
Hubert kicks you out of Lhant, I really wanna bitch slap him so bad. Asbel did nothing to Hubert, and he comes back there acting like he's there for the good of Lhant, but really acts like he's taking revenge. I honestly don't believe no matter what training Hubert had that he should not have been able to defeat me though, when Asbel has gotten knight training.

I've been sympathizing with Asbel's reasons for leaving as a child since he did it. It must be one of those cultural differences that I just don't understand, because it seems like everyone still treats Asbel like a jerk for leaving. Asbel's father was an asshole to him I think, and I wouldn't care about carrying on his position. Not when your father treated him the way he did, and gives away your brother because he thinks they'd bicker over the throne.

Also, that Ice Pop lady in the stand is having way too much fun in there, lol. She's always hoppin' around.

Top Bottom