• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Man, I finally got the game, but I forgot my USB cord to charge my controller back home, so I'll probably only get an hour or two in at most before I'm screwed until the weekend :(

d4ODi.jpg

yay! I wanna start now but I really should finish ME3 or XIII-2 first.

Well, I finally got what I wanted out of the game only to have it ripped away from me lol. I
finally got to play with Cheria! I love her character and fell in love with it from the moment I saw her coughing and her jealous love for Asbel! Then I have to fight Hubert (lol) and I lose Cheria again! God damn it...... Now I'm chilling with Pascal and Richard in an underground cave.

Oh well, someday I'll get what I want!

Yuterald

I put the game on Hard mode and the battles are more fun. The combat system is most definitely boss and the Titles are addicting as shit. I just beat the first boss on Hard and almost killed him with both characters alive. Amnesia girl had to finish 'em off. She can take a beating, that's for sure!

The plot and characters are still a little too goo-goo-ga-ga for me. I know they are kids and all, but it doesn't have to be so Fisher Price feeling at times. As I've said before, there have been other child-arc RPGs (like Breath of Fire III) and that game in particular was FAR LESS cringe inducing. Maybe it's because your party consisted of both children and adults like Garr and Momo? I don't know. This is not Star Ocean 4 offensive or anything, far from that to be fair. But the fact that I AM EVEN THINKING about Star Ocean 4 is not a good sign. I hope the plot gets a tad more interesting and serious.

Yeah, the battle system is clearly one of the best and the combat progression is great, but it's difficult, for me anyway, to play for long sessions because the world and characters are so completely uninteresting.

RPGCrazied

I caved and bought the double SP addon. Love it, I learn skills from titles so much faster now.

How far am I?

Going to Stratha to meet with the president to stop Hubert's recall.

15 hours now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I caved and bought the double SP addon. Love it, I learn skills from titles so much faster now.

How far am I?

Going to Stratha to meet with the president to stop Hubert's recall.

15 hours now.

You're pretty far in. I'm 12 hours in and I'm a little farther than where you're at. It goes really fast. Trust me. What difficulty are you playing on craze?

RPGCrazied

Normal. Was doing moderate for awhile. I try to put it on easy before bosses so I can get the trophy. I missed out on the last one, even on easy I couldn't do it. It was under 2 minutes though.

I'm I half way yet?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I laughed when I saw that Tiger Festival was retained. It was great in the JP version, and it still felt like it came out of nowhere in the English version.

Nope, they'll keep coming and as far as I remember they're all stuff that's not hard to get.

There isn't a huge amount of important missable stuff in this game in general. Looking down the sub event list I think the only one that gives you an important item that's missable is available until the final dungeon (specifically the handkerchief one in Lhant). Do that before you leave for the final dungeon and you're sorted. I did almost all of them at the end, hanging around and moving between places whenever a new one popped up.
Let's not forget to remind people to feed all the cats they come across in towns fish!

Feed the cats, everyone.

Well I do! She's great as well, but Pascal gets the #1 spot as she pretty much managed to make me smile or genuinely lol with nearly everything she said in the game, and scenes like (chapter 4 spoilers)
where she starts crying outside her sister's lab and Hubert has to comfort made me go into "oh don't cry ;_;" mode
. I'm just sticking with this avatar cause I really like it and it serves as a memory of my Xillia hype haha. That and I have a backloggery theme entirely dedicated to Pascal which I have no intention of changing for a long time, so it balances out.

I guess you can call me, Pascalmad.
D'awwww, that was one of my favourite moments with her too. In general, she's a genki girl without being annoying. Her JP voice actress at least pulled off her character rather flawlessly. A lot of Pascal's dialogue was really great.

I liked a bulk of Xillia's characters, and it's another Tales game where I didn't feel like I disliked any characters, so maybe the only way to go from here is up.

Are there any limited-time events/side-quests we should be aware of?
The Google Doc in the OP does a good job of listing the limited events/SQs: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARRHUgO6_FEhZGpjNDV4Nl81Z3d2NW52Yzk. :)

I've got my copy shipped, set to deliver on monday (super saver shipping, man that sucks). I'm so pumped to play but at the same time the differences in combat are making me nervous. I feel like I was one of few who actually enjoyed Tales of the Abyss combat. Granted I got to play through the entire game with friends and it's easy to overlook flaws when you're having such a good time.

However from reading this thread it seems like I have yet to play a Destiny style game (think I I have that correct). I've only played symphonia, abyss and vesperia. So it'll be nice to play one designed by the guys who are supposed to make even better combat. Free run was a little silly.

How is the battle camera when playing with multiple people? it was pretty bad in symphonia, better in abyss and pretty spot on for me in vesperia. I plan on playing through with a friend or two so I'd love to know!

gunstarhero

Too lazy and impatient to go sifting through this thread: How does this game compare to Tales of Vesperia?

I finished TOV on 360 a while back, and haven't really played a good console JRPGs since then - starting to get that itch...

Whats the verdict? :)

Dresden

Too lazy and impatient to go sifting through this thread: How does this game compare to Tales of Vesperia?

I finished TOV on 360 a while back, and haven't really played a good console JRPGs since then - starting to get that itch...

I'm liking it so far, and I liked Vesperia. /shrug

Asbel isn't as bro as Yuri but that's no big deal.

RPGCrazied

So far, to me anyways, Vesperia is the better Tales game. It's still a great Tales game, and if you're a fan of them, pick it up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I put the game on Hard mode and the battles are more fun. The combat system is most definitely boss and the Titles are addicting as shit. I just beat the first boss on Hard and almost killed him with both characters alive. Amnesia girl had to finish 'em off. She can take a beating, that's for sure!

The plot and characters are still a little too goo-goo-ga-ga for me. I know they are kids and all, but it doesn't have to be so Fisher Price feeling at times. As I've said before, there have been other child-arc RPGs (like Breath of Fire III) and that game in particular was FAR LESS cringe inducing. Maybe it's because your party consisted of both children and adults like Garr and Momo? I don't know. This is not Star Ocean 4 offensive or anything, far from that to be fair. But the fact that I AM EVEN THINKING about Star Ocean 4 is not a good sign. I hope the plot gets a tad more interesting and serious.

Yeah, the battle system is clearly one of the best and the combat progression is great, but it's difficult, for me anyway, to play for long sessions because the world and characters are so completely uninteresting.
My boyfriend has always had this approach to Tales games: "If you're playing for the story first and foremost in a Tales game, you're doing it wrong." I... well, I don't play games for story in general, but I'm kind of inclined to agree if I really like the combat but don't really care for the story (which happens for games in general). Everyone's different, but his approach makes Tales games enjoyable for him if he ends up not caring much for story.

Given that they're children, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary with how they're behaving. They're acting like the children I tutored or babysat, so I didn't really mind it. It seemed rather natural.

Anyway, let's put it this way: you're almost done, so you won't have to worry about the childhood arc after this (on NG+, you have the option to skip the arc entirely and move onto the adult arc).

Storywise, the first two-thirds of Vesperia is better (the last third of Vesperia isn't very good).

Gameplay-wise, Graces is a lot better than Vesperia, imo. But I'm biased after multiple playthroughs.

burgerdog

So when will I get a full party? I kind of want a full party before I sit around and grind for a bit and learn the combat system a bit more. I'm 8 hours in and I just
went back to Lhant(sp?) as an adult.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So when will I get a full party? I kind of want a full party before I sit around and grind for a bit and learn the combat system a bit more. I'm 8 hours in and I just
Chapter 4, when
you go to Strahta
. Edit: Oh you meant a full party in general. Chapter 3.

Chapter 4 is when you get everyone.

The first time you get a full team of 4 characters is at the very end of chapter 2/beginning of chapter 3
When you meet Pascal after Richard joins in Barona

Bladenic

Think I might kill myself, considering my game was supposed to arrive today yet UPS is nowhere in sight, it's 6:15 PM, and I've been here all day. I'm gonna check my mailbox one more time just in case but... Wahhhh :(

burgerdog

Alright, must keep playing~ You know, for all the shit that 13-2 has received, I loved how they gave you a full party 2 hours or less into the game.

Maybe it's just where I'm at, but I just unlocked Evil difficulty after beat
The dungeon right after you meet Pascal, that boss seriously kicked my ass, **** petrify -.- Though I will say Slime Queen was really easy, the most annoying part was the end when there was like 15 slimes and that was more annoying then difficult
Anyways the area afterwards I bumped the game up to Evil and found things seemed a lot easier, I feel it's because Evil gives out SP like candy and I've learned a lot more skills/stat ups thanks to it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Alright, must keep playing~ You know, for all the shit that 13-2 has received, I loved how they gave you a full party 2 hours or less into the game.
FFXIII-2 gave you a full party when you finished the prologue in my experience. >.>

Seven Force said:
After spending some time with Graces, I'm not sure I can go back to the limitations of TP. CC is so fucking good.
Sounds like how I felt when I played ToDr.

Anyways the area afterwards I bumped the game up to Evil and found things seemed a lot easier, I feel it's because Evil gives out SP like candy and I've learned a lot more skills/stat ups thanks to it.
Higher difficulties up how much XP and SP you get, yep.

Torraz

I also really loved the CC-based combat which I found was way more fun than Vesperias system. Xillia struck a decent balance, I thought. However the system from Graces F is still my favorite of the three ps 3 tales games.

Higher difficulties up how much XP and SP you get, yep.

Didn't notice it gave out more XP too awesome.

Also I know it's a spoiler but how long during the main story arc is
Richard playable for? Just a chapter number is fine, if it has been stated before I apologize but I don't really want to go searching through spoilers to find out if it was posted already

burgerdog

Oh yeah, one of the game's tips says that another way to get CC is by simply attacking. I am confused by this, if I keep pressing X my character will just keep using A-Arts and use up all his/her CC. Does this game not have regular attacks like Vesperia?

Aeana

Oh yeah, one of the game's tips says that another way to get CC is by simply attacking. I am confused by this, if I keep pressing X my character will just keep using A-Arts and use up all his/her CC. Does this game not have regular attacks like Vesperia?

No, it doesn't have regular attacks. A style replaces those.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Didn't notice it gave out more XP too awesome.

Also I know it's a spoiler but how long during the main story arc is
Richard playable for? Just a chapter number is fine, if it has been stated before I apologize but I don't really want to go searching through spoilers to find out if it was posted already
You lose him after finishing Chapter 3.

Too bad XIII-2 didn't give you a full narrative experience! ROFL!
LOL. At least Noel's dialogue/backstory was pretty cool.

And with that, I'm gonna get some work done tonight.

Yuterald

My boyfriend has always had this approach to Tales games: "If you're playing for the story first and foremost in a Tales game, you're doing it wrong." I... well, I don't play games for story in general, but I'm kind of inclined to agree if I really like the combat but don't really care for the story (which happens for games in general). Everyone's different, but his approach makes Tales games enjoyable for him if he ends up not caring much for story.

Given that they're children, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary with how they're behaving. They're acting like the children I tutored or babysat, so I didn't really mind it. It seemed rather natural.

Anyway, let's put it this way: you're almost done, so you won't have to worry about the childhood arc after this (on NG+, you have the option to skip the arc entirely and move onto the adult arc).

Yeah, I totally get looking at it that way, but it's difficult for me to overlook the story and characters even if the battle system is so god-like, because, well, it's there. It would be nice to see these teams create a more adult themed Tales title (and no, Vesperia isn't that much better in my books). Shit, it would be amazing to see what these teams could do if they divorced themselves from the whole Tales brand, which is something a buddy of mine suggested the other night when I was talking to him about this series. There are other games out there too that marriage good progression systems with cool, interesting, and serious plots. Digital Devil Saga, Xenoblade, to just name a few.

And yes, I know, these games do very well in Japan and they are clearly tailored to satisfy their primary fan base because clearly enough people eat this stuff up. It's not that I don't like lightheartedness or children or anything like that either, hah! Like I said, Breath of Fire III is another RPG that comes to mind where you play as children for a long period of time and I really enjoyed how it was handled. Everything I've seen so far in this game is just a little too much for me at times, especially pig tail girl. These Kos-mos, robot-like ripoff girls gotta go, lol! I literally thought I booted up Arc Rise Fantasia when I turned on this game. =/

You know, maybe it's just the amnesia girl that is bothering me because I actually think the two brothers are cool. Siblings in RPGs usually provide interesting scenarios (like Estelle and Joshua in Trails or Riou and Nanami in Suikoden II, although, those two pairs are not your 'normal' brother and sister kind of duo, without spoiling too much). Hopefully Asbel and Hubert are on cliffs later in the game splitting paths, against each other, or something cool like that. At least, that's what I'm hoping for! I think I'm rambling at this point, hah! Regardless, I'm glad the childhood stuff will be over soon.

Feed the cats, everyone.

Should've been the OT title.

D'awwww, that was one of my favourite moments with her too. In general, she's a genki girl without being annoying. Her JP voice actress at least pulled off her character rather flawlessly. A lot of Pascal's dialogue was really great.

I liked a bulk of Xillia's characters, and it's another Tales game where I didn't feel like I disliked any characters, so maybe the only way to go from here is up.

Pretty much, I really liked Kana Ueda before, but the way she handled Pascal pretty much solidified her place as one of the best VAs about.

After spending some time with Graces, I'm not sure I can go back to the limitations of TP. CC is so fucking good.

One of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us one of us

One thing I dislike about this game is that skits are very specific, I kind of enjoyed having skits randomly pop up, instead of only appearing in very specific locations or around discovery points.

pahamrick

I've noticed that mixing up your A and B-Artes can net you small CC boosts. I pretty much use Asbel exclusively, and taking advantage of his Sheathe/Unsheathe bonuses I get a +1 or +2 CC pretty consistently which helps me keep the combos going, in addition to dodging for the +3 boost.

All in all, this combat system is -amazing-. It'll be so hard to replay ToV from this point on.

Just an hour in but am loving it, as expect for a Team Destiny fanboy.

I will be much more well versed to give some glee-filled impressions tomorrow, however.

Aeana

I've noticed that mixing up your A and B-Artes can net you small CC boosts. I pretty much use Asbel exclusively, and taking advantage of his Sheathe/Unsheathe bonuses I get a +1 or +2 CC pretty consistently which helps me keep the combos going, in addition to dodging for the +3 boost.

All in all, this combat system is -amazing-. It'll be so hard to replay ToV from this point on.

Also, if you fill up the critical gauge, you can get a boost to your maximum CC. You fill the critical gauge faster by mixing up your attacks and guarding/evading well. I think what the tip was referring to, though, is that after each combo, your CC will automatically replenish to its maximum value.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just finished the
childhood
arc. The
spat between Asbel and his father, and later with Cheria was very nicely done and acted I thought.
Just started the next segment. I loved during the tutorial of the mixer, when it wanted me to select Apple Gel and I selected something else, it says "What part of Apple Gel didn't you understand?" XD

There's a blue bar under the HP display that fills up when you attack or guard to a certain point. When that fills up you get +1 max CC up to your max.

Edit: beaten

I know its been said to death, but this battle system is great. I love the dash ability. I'm so pumped to get further in the game so I can open things up a bit!

Top Bottom