• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Aeana

There's only one thing about Graces f that I don't like.

The music.

I mean, Tales games have never exactly filled my ears with bliss in the past but they usually had one or two pieces I could hum a few bars of, but man on man I turned the volume down on the music in this game because... man. It's bad!

It's funny, since Graces's music annoyed me the least out of all non-Legendia Tales games. I don't think it's good, though. I just don't care for Sakuraba and I hate Tamura. Graces has no Tamura, so happiness.

FSLink

Banned
I thought Graces music was fine outside of the dungeon themes. Battle themes are catchy as always too.

Xillia and Phantasia SFC are my favorite soundtracks in the series. >_> EDIT: And Legendia!

scy

Stop unlocking new titles.

I want to move on but I keep getting new titles which means I need to grind more which means I unlock more titles. WHY GAME. WHY.

Edit: On that note, the start of the adult arc's
mini-boss, the wolf
actually killed me on Evil. :(

Koroviev

I personally like this game a lot more than Radiant Historia, but both are great. Radiant Historia is getting a reprint soon but hasn't yet as far as I know, so it's not easy to get cheaply at the moment.

Yeah, I would wait for the reprint. How is the enemy variety in Graces? One of my concerns about RH is that the enemies are supposedly pretty bland. I guess SMT has kind of ruined me with its demon variety.

Playing with my heart. My impressions of Radiant Historia are here.

I like both games a lot, and I like both battle systems a lot. And I like the characters in RH a lot. Tough decision, especially since RH is getting reprinted due to demand.

Told ya so. :lol

You can pick the option to inherit all book data in the Grade Shop when you start a NG+.

Are the characters in Graces at least tolerable? I think the design overall looks nice and colorful, I just can't stand the look of Sophie for some reason. Too much purple hair, maybe -_o

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Stop unlocking new titles.

I want to move on but I keep getting new titles which means I need to grind more which means I unlock more titles. WHY GAME. WHY.
Welcome to my world, scy. That's partially why my game ran on longer than most players. But I ended up unlocking the titles trophies pretty early on, so I'm happy with it. :)

Yeah, I would wait for the reprint. How is the enemy variety in Graces? One of my concerns about RH is that the enemies are supposedly pretty bland. I guess SMT has kind of ruined me with its demon variety.

Are the characters in Graces at least tolerable? I think the design overall looks nice and colorful, I just can't stand the look of Sophie for some reason. Too much purple hair, maybe -_o
Yeah, they're fine in general. I didn't actively dislike anyone. I may have felt indifference, but definitely not hate (which was nice for a Tales game). And Sophie's default design is really awful.

As for enemy variety, there isn't much of it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Welcome to my world, scy. That's partially why my game ran on longer than most players. But I ended up unlocking the titles trophies pretty early on, so I'm happy with it. :)

Yeah, they're fine in general. I didn't actively dislike anyone. I may have felt indifference, but definitely not hate (which was nice for a Tales game). And Sophie's default design is really awful.

Thank goodness Sophie's future outfit is much better. rofl.

Koroviev

As for enemy variety, there isn't much of it.

Well, looks like Amazon just decided for me. Not kidding, I think I was billed for RH mere minutes ago. Should be here on the 20th. Oh well, means I can afford Oath of Felghana when it releases on Steam. Also, is there co-op in Graces? My friend has it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is kind of a weird question, but this game or Radiant Historia? I have the reprint pre-ordered, but the battle system in this sounds great. Problem is that getting both is a bit too much for the entertainment budget. My only reservation is the character design, especially Sophie's. I love SMT games but I really didn't like Eternal Sonata at all, if that helps any.

Edit: Never played a Tales game before, btw.

I thought Radiant Historia kinda dragged on a bit. What I liked about Tales of Graces ƒ more is that there's a lot of interaction between the characters.

Ahahahaha. Oh wow.

Harsh, man.

I rank Destiny PSX that low simply because the gameplay is full of dumb/bad decisions. You all AI is completely inept at doing anything unless you put Stahn in the back of the line and force them into the enemies. If you don't do this half they time they just sit their with their thumb in their butt occasionally casting magic. They make it so half of Garr's moves can only be used if he is equip with a bow, and the other half with his Swordian making him worthless. Gameplay is just as slow and unenjoyable as Phantasia GBA, but at least Phantasia's characters do things without you having to goad them. I also think Phantasia has a better plot then Destiny, I know Destiny R/DC improved it but were going on just the PSX version (aka the one in English). In then end I put Phantasia GBA over Destiny PSX by a very tiny margin, both are borderline unplayable, GBA is just "less unplayable"

Oh and I forgot Phantasia SNES, put that ahead of Phantasia GBA in my list.

Mikhal

I caved in and sneaked in some Graces F instead of sleeping for work. My friend was there watching me struggle with the 1st boss on Hard and trying to give me pointers. Multiple deaths later, I remember that the game had multiplayer and handed him a controller and beat the boss. Just got a text from him that he is down if I ever need more battle assistance. Haha.

scy

I think you're doing it wrong

I'm grinding areas until I get all the Soul Orb drops as a minimum. I'm also still working towards unlocking Chaos so I need the battles. It's just sad that I'm still at the start of the second arc and I already got the 20 title trophy :|

I was a little surprised to see the 20 Trophy title, honestly. No place for quick fights, though, so I haven't gotten Chaos yet. But, if (early second arc)
Lhant Hill still has respawning enemies in a small loop, I'll just grindan there

Sophie is still :/

Ties

Banned
Okay I'm loving the battle theme that plays if you equip Sophie's preorder costume. The violin, so good <3.

The story really isn't all that bad. Why was everyone railing on it? I'm enjoying this far far more than Abyss and Symphonia plot wise definitely.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm grinding areas until I get all the Soul Orb drops as a minimum. I'm also still working towards unlocking Chaos so I need the battles. It's just sad that I'm still at the start of the second arc and I already got the 20 title trophy :|

I was a little surprised to see the 20 Trophy title, honestly. No place for quick fights, though, so I haven't gotten Chaos yet. But, if (early second arc)
Lhant Hill still has respawning enemies in a small loop, I'll just grindan there

Sophie is still :/
I got Asbel's 20 trophy title while I was at the beginning of the Adult Arc on my first playthrough. Don't worry about it. Getting and levelling up titles can be really addictive. :lol

Are you using Dark Bottles for respawning enemies faster on Lhant Hill? The better place to unlock Chaos is towards the end of Chapter 3 since you'll get into a dungeon where the enemies seem to respawn quick. At least, that's when I unlocked Chaos since battles felt more engaging there than at Lhant Hill.

Sophie was the one I took a while warming up to. I feel the same about using her in battle manually after Childhood Arc.

Thoraxes

Okay I'm loving the battle theme that plays if you equip Sophie's preorder costume. The violin, so good <3.

The story really isn't all that bad. Why was everyone railing on it? I'm enjoying this far far more than Abyss and Symphonia plot wise definitely.

I'm enjoying the story more than Abyss but less than Symphonia. (personally anyways)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Wait, so if you use her costume the music changes? I'll have to try that.

Finally got stuck on Evil and had to drop the difficulty down to hard for
The fight with Richard's Uncle, I know my strategy would have worked (got him down to below 10k) but it was just getting so frustrating having spent over 30 minutes on the same fight, on Hard mode it wasn't even fun I roflstomped him

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I just reunited with
Richard
. Ummmm someone answer my speculation please.

... he's totally the final boss, isn't he? He's got that Tales of "I'm the final boss even if you don't recognize it now" look, that blond pretty boy look with the swooped hair like Mithos or whatever. Plus, unlike all my other "friends" who've become complete dicks over the last seven years, things are going WAY too swimmingly with him...

Thoraxes

So I just reunited with
Richard
. Ummmm someone answer my speculation please.

... he's totally the final boss, isn't he? He's got that Tales of "I'm the final boss even if you don't recognize it now" look, that blond pretty boy look with the swooped hair like Mithos or whatever. Plus, unlike all my other "friends" who've become complete dicks over the last seven years, things are going WAY too swimmingly with him...

You'll see soon enough (i've not finished, but i'm farther along.)

kewlmyc

Soooo..... I anyone else Dualizing their weapons? So far, I find it confusing as hell. I'm thinking that maybe I should save if for my 2nd playthrough so I know which weapons are best to Dualize. Any tips for people that have already played and beat the JP version of the game?

Soooo..... I anyone else Dualizing their weapons? So far, I find it confusing as hell. I'm thinking that maybe I should save if for my 2nd playthrough so I know which weapons are best to Dualize. Any tips for people that have already played and beat the JP version of the game?

More expensive weapons have more CC, so always buy, equip, and dualize them. Take your old, tempered equipment and dualize it with other tempered equipment to get stones which make awesome accessories. Basic gist of it

Thoraxes

More expensive weapons have more CC, so always buy, equip, and dualize them. Take your old, tempered equipment and dualize it with other tempered equipment to get stones which make awesome accessories. Basic gist of it

You have to equip to temper it though, right? I can't just make production line of them?

scy

I got Asbel's 20 trophy title while I was at the beginning of the Adult Arc on my first playthrough. Don't worry about it. Getting and levelling up titles can be really addictive. :lol

Finish fight. Get 3 new titles. :(

Are you using Dark Bottles for respawning enemies faster on Lhant Hill? The better place to unlock Chaos is towards the end of Chapter 3 since you'll get into a dungeon where the enemies seem to respawn quick. At least, that's when I unlocked Chaos since battles felt more engaging there than at Lhant Hill.

I want to get to Chaos before the second 60 second boss fight though :x I'm pretty close (~100 fights) so it's not so bad. And I don't have access to Dark Bottles yet as far as I know (at least, I haven't seen them for sale or a Dualize option for them yet).

Sophie was the one I took a while warming up to. I feel the same about using her in battle manually after Childhood Arc.

I think I just hate her character type. And design. She was fun to use in combat during the first arc though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Re: Dualization. You can also dualize foods to throw into your pot which'll be activated in a gambit-like manner, along with books.

Um. If you don't want to sift through this post, I hope this video answers your questions. It uses the JP version, but it's how I learned to dualize properly.

Dualizing equipment involves synthing two pieces of equipment or materials or something. You dualize to:
-Make new weapons (self-explanatory)
-Power up weapons
-Bestow abilities to equipment
-Extract abilities from equipment

Powering up weapons lets you level them up with fragments, and the boost is permanent (even if you extract abilities from the equipment).

For bestowing abilities, all fragments give certain abilities to your weapons/armor. The effect will be determined by the chosen fragment's colour. In addition, all fragments have an associated rank (ex: they'll have a number beside the piece name). It'll determine how good the effect is, so 1 will be the weakest and 9 will be the highest.
-Blue: Attack/DEF/Arte Atk/Arte DEF/ACC/EVA
-Yellowish-Green: HP Recover/Auto Regen/Crit Hits = HP Recover
-Purple: Elemental/Status abilities (ex: Freeze/Petrify/Poison/Burn, etc)
-Orange: Boost CC (increase min CC, max CC, CC recover (ex: when you kill things, crit strike, evade and recover CC, etc).

For extracting abilities, when you extract stuff by synthesizing two weapons, you'll make a jewel based on the combined natures of the two weapons involved in the synthesis. The jewel will have the two high ranking abilities of both weapons.

I will note, though, that you'll need to get used to dualizing weapons if you want to plat the game. >.> (some are needed for inn requests, and it's better to synthesize something to access floors in the Zone Cage)

Finish fight. Get 3 new titles. :(

I want to get to Chaos before the second 60 second boss fight though :x I'm pretty close (~100 fights) so it's not so bad. And I don't have access to Dark Bottles yet as far as I know (at least, I haven't seen them for sale or a Dualize option for them yet).

I think I just hate her character type. And design. She was fun to use in combat during the first arc though.
Fair enough re: Sophie. I think she'll be hit or miss for some people character/battle-wise. You'll stop getting new titles after a while, but when you start Adult arc, they really like to throw them at you.

Dark Bottles are sold in Lhant's Item Shop, aren't they? Are they called something else in the English version? Dark Bottles increase respawn rate. Holy Bottles decrease it. It makes grinding go a lot faster. For dualization, you can just experiment yourself and see what you can make.

kewlmyc

Re: Dualization. You can also dualize foods to throw into your pot which'll be activated in a gambit-like manner, along with books.

Um. If you don't want to sift through this post, I hope this video answers your questions. It uses the JP version, but it's how I learned to dualize properly.

Dualizing equipment involves synthing two pieces of equipment or materials or something. You dualize to:
-Make new weapons (self-explanatory)
-Power up weapons
-Bestow abilities to equipment
-Extract abilities from equipment

Powering up weapons lets you level them up with fragments, and the boost is permanent (even if you extract abilities from the equipment).

For bestowing abilities, all fragments give certain abilities to your weapons/armor. The effect will be determined by the chosen fragment's colour. In addition, all fragments have an associated rank (ex: they'll have a number beside the piece name). It'll determine how good the effect is, so 1 will be the weakest and 9 will be the highest.
-Blue: Attack/DEF/Arte Atk/Arte DEF/ACC/EVA
-Yellowish-Green: HP Recover/Auto Regen/Crit Hits = HP Recover
-Purple: Elemental/Status abilities (ex: Freeze/Petrify/Poison/Burn, etc)
-Orange: Boost CC (increase min CC, max CC, CC recover (ex: when you kill things, crit strike, evade and recover CC, etc).

For extracting abilities, when you extract stuff by synthesizing two weapons, you'll make a jewel based on the combined natures of the two weapons involved in the synthesis. The jewel will have the two high ranking abilities of both weapons.

I will note, though, that you'll need to get used to dualizing weapons if you want to plat the game. >.> (some are needed for inn requests, and it's better to synthesize something to access floors in the Zone Cage)

Fair enough re: Sophie. I think she'll be hit or miss for some people character/battle-wise. You'll stop getting new titles after a while, but when you start Adult arc, they really like to throw them at you.

Dark Bottles are sold in Lhant's Item Shop, aren't they? Are they called something else in the English version? Dark Bottles increase respawn rate. Holy Bottles decrease it. It makes grinding go a lot faster. For dualization, you can just experiment yourself and see what you can make.

Thanks for the info and the link.

Thoraxes

Finally got stuck on Evil and had to drop the difficulty down to hard for
The fight with Richard's Uncle, I know my strategy would have worked (got him down to below 10k) but it was just getting so frustrating having spent over 30 minutes on the same fight, on Hard mode it wasn't even fun I roflstomped him

I managed to 50-combo that boss on the one right below Hard. He was cake there.

Anyone know a good place to order this from to deliver to Australia?

I'm interested to try this game out just need to find somewhere to order from.

Card Boy

Banned
Anyone know a good place to order this from to deliver to Australia?

I'm interested to try this game out just need to find somewhere to order from.

Do you care if its the English Asian version? Hkofferhouse.com has it for $48, maybe cheaper because of our exchange rate. I have used them before and i can recommend them.

scy

You'll stop getting new titles after a while, but when you start Adult arc, they really like to throw them at you.

It's ridiculous, lol. That said, I do like this system for titles so it's not really a bad thing at all. Was just kind of funny since I went through the childhood arc with the goal of maxing all the titles I got before moving on (all ... three of them) and then Adult arc started with whoamg here's 20 have fun.

I didn't see it when I last checked (after the Lhant events, Shop Rank 3) and nothing dualized to it yet. I'm going to try again after doing some grinding in the Caverns and see if that gets me anything to dualize it with the new components.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's ridiculous, lol. That said, I do like this system for titles so it's not really a bad thing at all. Was just kind of funny since I went through the childhood arc with the goal of maxing all the titles I got before moving on (all ... three of them) and then Adult arc started with whoamg here's 20 have fun.

I didn't see it when I last checked (after the Lhant events, Shop Rank 3) and nothing dualized to it yet. I'm going to try again after doing some grinding in the Caverns and see if that gets me anything to dualize it with the new components.
I really loved how Graces handled titles, and it made title acquisition fun. And then we got Xillia and titles were really crap there. :/

I think you can dualize a Dark Bottle by using Holy Water (from Barona's church... I think?) and Poison Seaweed (from the
Seaside Cavern
). But Lhant does sell them after a while (not after levelling up the stamp card). I guess you might have to wait.

Top Bottom