• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Gyoru

I'm going to be streaming for a few hours today. It's still pretty early on in the game (just started Adulthood).

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy
signature

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gosh, I wish I could stream. Anyway, who's the farthest in here? I'm pretty sure someone has to have passed me. rofl.

Regarding battle settings, is the only use for Semi-Auto to play multi-player co-op? So I should leave it on Auto otherwise?

In the same vein, is there a way to make it so I can manually control whichever current character I'm using? I notice that if I leave my current character (ie. Asbel) on Auto, he'll play himself without me touching any buttons. So I switched it to Semi-Auto so I can manually control...but then if I swap to a different character mid-battle, Asbel will do nothing since he's still set to Semi-Auto.

Not sure if I explained that well :p
Normally you leave it on Auto to let the AI do its thing, and take it out of Auto if you want to control the character.

I don't remember what happens when you switch characters in battle though, but I think you probably will have to adjust the character you're controlling off of Auto (there's a button you can press to do that without having to go into the Artes menu)

Reveirg

I don't want to follow a guide, but I'd like to get as much sub-events/sidequests as possible. What should I look out for in towns? (Should I sleep at every inn after every cutscene, like in Vesperia? -.-)

If you use the direction buttons in battle to switch between which character you control, they should automatically switch to semi-auto, and the character you were using before that should automatically switch to auto. That's how it goes for me, anyway. And you use select to switch between Auto/Semi-Auto/Manual without accessing the menu.

MechaX

Man, this childhood arc is really... boring. This is the slowest start any Tales game has ever had.

At least the combat is nice.

I don't fully grasp the combat system (or part of your question) but picture it as a flow chart (since ... it is one):

Direction + X -> Direction + X -> Direction + X -> Direction + X
1cc cost -> 2cc cost -> 3cc cost -> 4cc cost

With "direction" being the corresponding one for the arte you're trying to use. Check the Artes menu to see how the artes correspond to directions. You need to actually input a direction + X for each step, though "neutral" is an option so you can do Up + X -> X -> X, assuming your character has an arte that uses neutral + X.

I think both Asbel and Hubert have giant blocks for their artes (that is, 2 or 3 directions all correspond to the same attack) so I'd look at Sophie's to get a better idea; each direction has a different arte to use so X -> X -> X and X -> Up + X -> X and X -> Right + X -> X will be different combos.

Sorry if that doesn't help at all!

Actually that makes a ton of sense. I looked through the Artes to try and get an idea, but didn't realize that the blank one at the top was for neutral (derp).

Thanks for the help scy :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regarding Inn Requests:

I know that there are two types of Inn Requests: The ones that come every 8 minutes and the special event ones. Are the ones that come every 8 minutes (or the less important ones) missable or not?

Anyone? :p Sorry to be a bother though, I plan on getting this trophy in my first run.

Reveirg

Interested in the requests question too.

And is there a point to levelling a 5-stared title? I notice they still accumulate sp.

I hate to say it, but upon buying this game I was inspired to finally open my copy of FFXIII--both games are interesting to me in entirely different ways...decisions, decisions.

I do wish they stop doing the 30 fps outside of combat, 60fps in combat.

It tickles my brain in an unpleasant way. This is a wii game...right?

And is it just me or are symphonia 2 character animations out of combat better than the ones here?

Still on the kid parts, so maybe they grow out of the jank xD

Btw Cheria VA is same as Marta's right?

RPGCrazied

12 hours, level 22. Just got Pascal not to long ago. How do you do those Oughis or whatever? I saw Richard do one. I must of missed that tutorial. lol

Ties

Banned
12 hours, level 22. Just got Pascal not to long ago. How do you do those Oughis or whatever? I saw Richard do one. I must of missed that tutorial. lol
Equip a title with a Blast Caliber and learn it and when your Arles Pot is full, press L1 after you attack an enemy.

pahamrick

Equip a title with a Blast Caliber and learn it and when your Arles Pot is full, press L1 after you attack an enemy.

Guess that means a hunt to find a title with a Blast Caliber for Asbel.

I am loving this game tho, this could easily become one of my top favorite RPGs of all time and it's definitely my favorite Tales of the ones I've played.

Think I've done a bit too much grinding, though. I just got through the first dungeon after you get
Pascal
and Asbel is close to level 30. Though, I did start the game on Hard and swapped over to Evil soon as it unlocked and spent a bit of time leveling up some weapons and armor. Was sort of bummed when I noticed I've missed some sub-events, but I normally go blind for first plays of RPGs and use a guide for completion sake on the second run.

I'm kind of rage, I just got
Roflstomped by Hubert, he's incredibly difficult on hard, and once I thought I won he went NOPE and uses his Mystic Arte to one shot me, I feel cheated cause I won -.-

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Man, this childhood arc is really... boring. This is the slowest start any Tales game has ever had.

At least the combat is nice.

Even worse than Abyss? Oh well, I'm not touching the thing until I'm done with Space Jesus 3 and Crystal Girl Jesus part II.

scy

Actually that makes a ton of sense. I looked through the Artes to try and get an idea, but didn't realize that the blank one at the top was for neutral (derp).

Thanks for the help scy :)

Haha, no problem. I kind of suck at describing things so I try to stick to explaining numbers :x

And is there a point to levelling a 5-stared title? I notice they still accumulate sp.

Titles have an inherent bonus for equipping them; Mastering a title (e.g., 5-star -> Master) will increase that bonus.

Btw Cheria VA is same as Marta's right?

Laura Bailey, yes.

Even worse than Abyss? Oh well, I'm not touching the thing until I'm done with Space Jesus 3 and Crystal Girl Jesus part II.

I think the start isn't all that bad. It's pretty short if you don't dink around trying to grindan titles and stuff. The transition from it to the "start" of the game is done really well, personally.

This game has some god-tier victory dialogue. The
Royal Crablets
one made me laugh.

Edit: And Pascal is quickly becoming my favorite thing about the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any one know where the 25th discovery is? I'm in
Gralesyde
Just after getting
Pascal

Message in a Bottle. Found on the beachside at the backyard of the Manor in Gralesyde.

Speaking of which...

I like how Pascal teases Richard and Asbel as lovers. lololol

Played for a couple of hours last night after work, still on the childhood arc. Very pleased with the combat so far, and the young versions of the characters are very endearing. :) Looking forward to playing more.

Big B

I feel like there are too many cutscenes. I just want to fight and collect LOOT!

Also, regular enemies are too easy on hard and bosses are too hard on moderate.

An all nighter and about 13 straight hours of playing later, and I'm done with part 2. It takes a special game to make me do that on a 2nd playthrough.

Wray

Question for those who've already played through Graces. But how's the overall story? Is there alot of backtracking? Does the story keep a good pace, or does it fall of the rails like alot of games do?

I played and beat Symphonia and Abyss, and liked them well enough, but felt that both games were a good 20-30 hours too long. Particularly Abyss.

Question for those who've already played through Graces. But how's the overall story? Is there alot of backtracking? Does the story keep a good pace, or does it fall of the rails like alot of games do?

I played and beat Symphonia and Abyss, and liked them well enough, but felt that both games were a good 20-30 hours too long. Particularly Abyss.

You spend the majority of the game constantly going to new places, and when you do return somewhere, it's usually because something serious has went down plot-wise. In terms of pacing I felt that it was just right, but at the same time, it's weird in that it makes the world itself seem kind of small.

kayos90

There's a fair amount of backtracking in the beginning but it's pretty straightforward. Story is paced well because there's rarely filler. It's an average quality story.

Paznos

I've just completed the childhood arc and I'm already in love with the game, I didn't think it was that slow and thought it was a great start to the game.

I love the voices so far and think the graphics look great nice, crisp and colorful look to it can't wait to put more time into it.

Started playing finally, hour or so so far... enjoying it and feeling overwhelmed a bit by it all. First Tales game and I was feeling brave so I jumped in at Hard, first couple battles I got low in health but ever since I mastered the dodge it's a lot more managable.

We'll see how it goes when I get to my first boss though.

My progress:
Just meeting the prince thingy person after doing the cottage, like I said, not far but enjoying it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't want to follow a guide, but I'd like to get as much sub-events/sidequests as possible. What should I look out for in towns? (Should I sleep at every inn after every cutscene, like in Vesperia? -.-)
Smiley-faces! People who have smiley faces above their heads will have subevents or subquests.

Sometimes you'll have to backtrack a little to get the subevent (for example: in the childhood arc, when
you have to go back into the mansion to get yelled at by Aston, go back out to the town and you'll see Cheria with a smiley face above her head for a subevent.
Sleep at every inn as soon as you can too like Vesperia/Abyss too. Sometimes you'll trigger subevents.

Interested in the requests question too.

I think your second question was already answered.

I just let some of the quests rack up when I didn't have the materials yet or didn't dualize them, and did the rest towards the end. They aren't missable from what I could tell when I went through them. Just get the handkerchief quest done in Lhant before you enter the final dungeon to be on the safe side.

PASCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

It's only been a month and a half, but my god does it feel great to be reunited with my favourite character ever.
I thought you liked Leia. :lol

Pascal's awesome, though. I need to get to that cube minigame.

Animekatt

I wanna play some more, but I'm stuck at work. :( When I finally do get home, I have to wake up early to go with my mom to court... D:

I'm at the part where I have to
raise the north and lower the south bridges at the Wallbridge Fort. I already raised the northern one.

Pascal is pretty awesome, it's cool to finally have someone who's genki and crazy lol.

Varion

Regarding Inn Requests:

I know that there are two types of Inn Requests: The ones that come every 8 minutes and the special event ones. Are the ones that come every 8 minutes (or the less important ones) missable or not?
Nope, they'll keep coming and as far as I remember they're all stuff that's not hard to get.

There isn't a huge amount of important missable stuff in this game in general. Looking down the sub event list I think the only one that gives you an important item that's missable is available until the final dungeon (specifically the handkerchief one in Lhant). Do that before you leave for the final dungeon and you're sorted. I did almost all of them at the end, hanging around and moving between places whenever a new one popped up.

He does, he's just even more crazy about Pascal.

This game has some god-tier victory dialogue. The
Royal Crablets
one made me laugh.

Edit: And Pascal is quickly becoming my favorite thing about the game.

My "Marvelous Taste" senses are tingling!

Well I do! She's great as well, but Pascal gets the #1 spot as she pretty much managed to make me smile or genuinely lol with nearly everything she said in the game, and scenes like (chapter 4 spoilers)
where she starts crying outside her sister's lab and Hubert has to comfort made me go into "oh don't cry ;_;" mode
. I'm just sticking with this avatar cause I really like it and it serves as a memory of my Xillia hype haha. That and I have a backloggery theme entirely dedicated to Pascal which I have no intention of changing for a long time, so it balances out.

I guess you can call me, Pascalmad.

Rpgmonkey

Can finally get around to playing this soon.

Can't wait to learn the ins and outs of the battle system. Had a lot of fun doing that in ToD2/ToR/ToDPS2.

kayos90

I'm inside
the Rockgagong. Rofl. Pascal so casual about us coming out the butt. HAHAHAHAHA

Great work on the dialogue lines johntv. Super hilarious.

Top Bottom