• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kewlmyc

Kill the first two little then beat the big one. Learn the timing for the dodge so you can keep punishing it. Once it makes 4 then beat the 4 as fast as you can and rinse and repeat. If it seems impossible then level up.

Thanks. I'm at level 17, and all the guys on youtube who did this on hard were 19+. Off to grind. Also, I was just focusing on the boss instead of the little ones. No wonder I kept dying.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks. I'm at level 17, and all the guys on youtube who did this on hard were 19+. Off to grind. Also, I was just focusing on the boss instead of the little ones. No wonder I kept dying.

I did it on hard on with a lvl 17 party. It's doable. You just need practice, patience, smarts, and perception. More practice though and perception so you know when to dodge and attack.

Astra

Well, that's it for the night (4am). Loving it so far, I sure missed Tales games. Really like the battle system, though it still throws me off not having any TP. Just then I go to use B-Artes after chaining together some A-Artes. X, X, X, X, Arte is so ingrained after so many Team Symphonia games, it's hard to break out of that habit, haha. I'll break it after a few more hours spent with the game, I'm sure.

I stopped just after (spoilers 3-4 hours into adult arc)
Sophie returned. It's odd seeing her now with the adult Asbel and Cherie. She looks so small now.

I expect I'll marathon this game over the next few games. So addicting!

Gah the invisible walls are pretty annoying, especially on the field.

And gah... I do feel sorry for poor kid Cheria.

Why must all Main Characters feel no cajun from their childhood friends?

Thoraxes

So on hard,
Queen Slime
wasn't that hard.I did buy some poison resist trinkets though, so that probably did it. They were like super cheap and I always need something in all character slots, so maybe it was just luck that I had bought them.

Oh god that was awesome. Absolutely destroyed the boss
right after Sophie comes back
, whereas I had a lot of trouble with it on my first playthrough, and this time I'm two difficulties higher (Hard -> Chaos)! I fucking love this battle system.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'm done until Friday (I really need to get some work done this week if I want to play a bit on the weekend). I'm almost finished Childhood Arc, so I didn't end up doing much.

He's 11 and he probably thinks she has cooties. (Kidding.) Real answer: Convenience in a videogame/Entertainment Media for character development or something.

Thoraxes said:
I did buy some poison resist trinkets though, so that probably did it.
Yep. Equip everyone with Poison Checks, and that'll make things a little easier.

Oh god that was awesome. Absolutely destroyed the boss
right after Sophie comes back
, whereas I had a lot of trouble with it on my first playthrough, and this time I'm two difficulties higher (Hard -> Chaos)! I fucking love this battle system.
I know that feel. My first playthrough had me getting flustered with that one. Second (unfinished) playthrough: absolutely fine. Third playthrough will probably be a breeze. On my second playthrough, I got up to
バシス軍事基地
, but I guess I'll continue on through this English playthrough and do the second JP playthrough another time since I'm almost finished that one.

I know that feel. My first playthrough had me getting flustered with that one. Second (unfinished) playthrough: absolutely fine. Third playthrough will probably be a breeze. On my second playthrough, I got up to
バシス軍事基地
, but I guess I'll continue on through this English playthrough and do the second JP playthrough another time since I'm almost finished that one.

Wouldn't doubt it. Its attack patterns basically scream "I'm here to let you practice sidestepping efficiently to create a continuous stream of attacks", which I completely missed last time. And hey, continuing the 2nd playthrough of the JP version after this means you could plat both versions if you feel so inclined!

Footos22

Planet Axel!, Why haven't you even shipped my copy yet :(

Anyone have any experience with them? They were pretty good about 2 years ago when I imported the God of War collection.

john tv

Re:
Queen Slime
- definitely get the anti-poison accessory for everyone in your party (I forget the English name at the moment). Makes the fight way more manageable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wouldn't doubt it. Its attack patterns basically scream "I'm here to let you practice sidestepping efficiently to create a continuous stream of attacks", which I completely missed last time. And hey, continuing the 2nd playthrough of the JP version after this means you could plat both versions if you feel so inclined!
Yep. A few of the earlier bosses seem to be there as subtle tests to let the player know that they should have been practicing all the stuff they learned in Childhood Arc and the beginning of Adult Arc. The bosses' tactics make it pretty obvious.

The second JP playthrough was originally intended to be a playthrough to plat the JP version on my NA PSN account (since my plats for both Xillia and Graces were on my JPSN account and I seem to be using my NA account more now). I started it sometime last year, I think, but I got sidetracked by other stuff and dropped it.

I actually did the same thing with Xillia, lol. I started a playthrough on my NA account, and then dropped it mid-January for FFXIII-2. I'll get back to it in the summer, most likely.

The second JP playthrough was originally intended to be a playthrough to plat the JP version on my NA PSN account (since my plats for both Xillia and Graces were on my JPSN account and I seem to be using my NA account more now). I started it sometime last year, I think, but I got sidetracked by other stuff and dropped it.

I actually did the same thing with Xillia, lol. I started a playthrough on my NA account, and then dropped it mid-January for FFXIII-2. I'll get back to it in the summer, most likely.

Seems complicated, haha. I think I'd be too stubborn to switch over to another account after getting plats on this one, even if it meant being inconvenient while playing non-JP games.

You cannot rotate the camera, it's killing me. and I'm only 30 minutes in

Having come into this from Xillia the first time I played, what with its fully controllable camera, I know how you feel. You should get used to it soon though.

For those who've finished the game before:
It's kind of hilarious seeing the big "I SWEAR I'M NOT A SECRET DOOR WITH A SHUTTLE INSIDE IT" room in the cave now, it's hilariously obvious yet somehow I didn't even notice it the first time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tiger Festivalz iz stuckz in my headz.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I know, I felt so bad for Chieria at the beginning, she got totally NTR'd. >>; She's so adorable too!

PASCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

It's only been a month and a half, but my god does it feel great to be reunited with my favourite character ever.

Mognet

I bought this along with Xenoblade earlier today on an online store and I noticed after I made my purchase, Tales became out of stock. I hope I got lucky and bought the very last copy of the game and if that's the case it should arrive late next week.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Early present arc spoiler:

Who said this game was happy-go-lucky? :p Cheria turned aloof, Hubert turned to a dickwad.

Setre

Started playing this last night, still on the kid arc but so far I’m enjoying. Combat is really fun and I like anime so the story and characters are fine in my opinion. This is also my first Tales game and I think I’m pretty much a fan of this franchise now if every game has this type of combat.

Edgeward

Took longer than I thought to finish Trails in the Sky. Thought it would take one night, ended up taking two. But I beat it and now ready for more JRPG goodness tonight and finally starting this game. Haven't played Tales in years since Abyss so I am really looking foreard to it.

Adamm

Likewise! This distresses me - I normally use Videogamesplus for my imports but tried Planet Axel for the first time here. Not impressed :(

Ive ordered things off them before & they shipped a few days before release.

Wonder why they have messed up so badly this time =/

EDIT: Cancelled my order & went to Videogamesplus also

B00TE

My brother picked this up last night, and I joined in. I really like the battle system, and getting rewarded for killing enemies fast. It took me awhile to adjust to how attacks and artes work compared to the other games, but once I did I fell in love. Had a lot of fun with Malik.

BluWacky

Ive ordered things off them before & they shipped a few days before release.

Wonder why they have messed up so badly this time =/

EDIT: Cancelled my order & went to Videogamesplus also

I've dropped Planet Axel an e-mail to find out if they've run out of stock or something. I think they've already taken my money so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I still have the final boss of Vesperia to beat, after all.

Adamm

I've dropped Planet Axel an e-mail to find out if they've run out of stock or something. I think they've already taken my money so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I still have the final boss of Vesperia to beat, after all.

They took my money out the day I ordered it, so I didnt read much into it.

Im just impatient :p

matmanx1

Well, I've got a smile on my face today. Not only is it my birthday but I've also spent the last part of last night and a little bit of this morning playing Graces f on my Panasonic Plasma tv. Not saying that last part to boast but only to remark on just how pretty and colorful Graces f looks on a good set. And even though I'm still very early I already love the game. The characters are cute, the battle system is feeling really good and the opening movie really gets me going. I think I'm going to need this soundtrack before it's all said and done!

Tales is finally here and I am ecstatic!

Managed to get through 2/3rds of the childhood arc last night, all while playing through it twice because I forgot to do some subevents the first go around so I restarted, haha.

The voices have been pretty good. I made it up to the
desert
in the Wii version, so I know that
Malik
fight will probably still give me fits when I get to it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, I've got a smile on my face today. Not only is it my birthday but I've also spent the last part of last night and a little bit of this morning playing Graces f on my Panasonic Plasma tv. Not saying that last part to boast but only to remark on just how pretty and colorful Graces f looks on a good set. And even though I'm still very early I already love the game. The characters are cute, the battle system is feeling really good and the opening movie really gets me going. I think I'm going to need this soundtrack before it's all said and done!

Tales is finally here and I am ecstatic!

And it actually feels good. Unlike the lukewarm feeling the FF series has given me the last couple of releases.

This one is definitely good and it hits the spot.

jorgeton

I know, I felt so bad for Chieria at the beginning, she got totally NTR'd. >>; She's so adorable too!

I did as well. But I like how when you meet her again
she is so not. having. it. she's a total ice queen to Asbel. wish she had a boyfriend to really twist the knife and make him jealous.

But what's the deal with her adult outfit?? I HATE it. I hope she gets new outfits and I'm able to put her in something less awful. The giant bow on her back is KILLING me.

Zafir

I've never had pre-orders from PlanetAxel or VG+ ship out before release day. Guess things have changed, heh. My copy shipped from Amazon the day before release. I've no idea what carrier they used to send it though since there isn't any tracking. Consequently I'll probably be waiting a while for my copy too.

Spoiler for about 9-10 hours in:
Richard slashing up a random goon.gif, gotta love that psycho face and the fact that there's no blood even when Asbel comments on it.

I did as well. But I like how when you meet her again
she is so not. having. it. she's a total ice queen to Asbel. wish she had a boyfriend to really twist the knife and make him jealous.

Totally,
I was expecting her to become some overbearing, forlorn former friend with obvious abandonment issues, but outside of the immediate conflict, she gives him the brush off. Those scenes convinced me to stop guessing what would happen ahead of time and just go with the flow of the story.

I only got to play about 40mins last night however I have a combat question.

For attacks, if I press X + up, up, up this will give me a combo? I know I can change Artes for the directions, but can something like X + up, down, right be created and so forth?

Do I actually have to press up 3 times, or can I press X + up once and then just press X two more times?

The voices have been pretty good. I made it up to the
desert
in the Wii version, so I know that
Malik
fight will probably still give me fits when I get to it.

Just did that one there, still a bastard of a fight. Took me about 10 attempts before I pulled through after I almost had him in the first but then got hi-ougi'd and everyone died.

scosher

Regarding battle settings, is the only use for Semi-Auto to play multi-player co-op? So I should leave it on Auto otherwise?

In the same vein, is there a way to make it so I can manually control whichever current character I'm using? I notice that if I leave my current character (ie. Asbel) on Auto, he'll play himself without me touching any buttons. So I switched it to Semi-Auto so I can manually control...but then if I swap to a different character mid-battle, Asbel will do nothing since he's still set to Semi-Auto.

Not sure if I explained that well :p

ULTROS!

Regarding Inn Requests:

I know that there are two types of Inn Requests: The ones that come every 8 minutes and the special event ones. Are the ones that come every 8 minutes (or the less important ones) missable or not?

scy

I only got to play about 40mins last night however I have a combat question.

For attacks, if I press X + up, up, up this will give me a combo? I know I can change Artes for the directions, but can something like X + up, down, right be created and so forth?

Do I actually have to press up 3 times, or can I press X + up once and then just press X two more times?

I don't fully grasp the combat system (or part of your question) but picture it as a flow chart (since ... it is one):

Direction + X -> Direction + X -> Direction + X -> Direction + X
1cc cost -> 2cc cost -> 3cc cost -> 4cc cost

With "direction" being the corresponding one for the arte you're trying to use. Check the Artes menu to see how the artes correspond to directions. You need to actually input a direction + X for each step, though "neutral" is an option so you can do Up + X -> X -> X, assuming your character has an arte that uses neutral + X.

I think both Asbel and Hubert have giant blocks for their artes (that is, 2 or 3 directions all correspond to the same attack) so I'd look at Sophie's to get a better idea; each direction has a different arte to use so X -> X -> X and X -> Up + X -> X and X -> Right + X -> X will be different combos.

Sorry if that doesn't help at all!

Footos22

Planet Axel take your money at the time of order.

I just had an email saying they are refunding me. Videogamesplus have it in stock.
Just had an email saying it is now processing.

Top Bottom